CV announces he will return for senior season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CV announces he will return for senior season

Reaction Score
Boom! We're going to need CV next year and I have to believe he thinks the development of Carlton late season and the potential of the roster next year has substantial upside. This is good news.
Has Carlton committed for the next 12 months yet via a multi paragraph official statement?

Sorry, I had to do it.

Reaction Score
When did it become a thing to celebrate a player returning who wouldn’t be drafted if the draft was 5 rounds. I like him fine and wish him great success but he wouldn’t be 5th team All UConn. If he bailed on graduation and his last year of eligibility then it would be monumentally stupid. I see this as him writing a letter saying he’s not going to make a really stupid decision, and it is wholly unnecessary. Is this just the new norm of dealing with millennials?

I have a silk purse I'd like to turn into a sow's ear. Can you be of help?

Reaction Score
Great news for the team if we’re looking to be competitive next year. I suspect CV and AG will be the captains and starters at the 1 and 2. Bouknight is the most college ready freshman coming in so I think he’ll start as a 3rd guard/wing. I see a battle between Polley and Akok at the 4 and Carlton starting at the 5.
Though I see Akok starting at the 4 in short time. Just need some bigs to backup calrlton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Senior guards are fun. Never a bad thing to build the backbone of your team on. We could start 4 upperclassmen(Gilbert, Vital, Polley, Carlton), and 1 really talented freshman(Akok) next year. Let the off season optimism begin!

Polley isn’t a small forward by any stretch of the imagination. Wilson or Bouknight will start here. Polley is a power forward due to his lack of athleticism and handle.

Reaction Score
When did it become a thing to celebrate a player returning who wouldn’t be drafted if the draft was 5 rounds. I like him fine and wish him great success but he wouldn’t be 5th team All UConn. If he bailed on graduation and his last year of eligibility then it would be monumentally stupid. I see this as him writing a letter saying he’s not going to make a really stupid decision, and it is wholly unnecessary. Is this just the new norm of dealing with millennials?
translation: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Everyone look at me, stomping my feet!!!!!

Reaction Score
Not at all. I want him back, I expected him to be back. I think he’s got a really crucial role on a good team, and he is a liability on a bad team when he tries to do too much. If our guard play is solid and he can shoot 3s and spend his energy on defense and rebounds it will be the perfect piece for the team. Like Neils but a little smaller and with a better prey drive.

A letter announcing his return for his senior season is unnecessary. I assume when you come that you stay for your eligibility or you go pro early. You go pro when you’re a lottery pick or you got great exposure in NCAA tourney and think it is your best shot (like Deandre).

The only other announcement that needs to be made is when you’re transferring.
He even alluded to it in his statement, the reason he might make this announcement while someone like Gilbert might not even do it, is because last year he said he was going pro. He didnt say I'm going to test the waters, he said I'm going pro but then chose not to. Much of the fanbase had heard he was possibly leaving school or transferring, which is why people would be more concerned he might jet out of here more than Gilbert/Polley/Wilson/etc.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Polley isn’t a small forward by any stretch of the imagination. Wilson or Bouknight will start here. Polley is a power forward due to his lack of athleticism and handle.

Polley's handle is odd.

So many times it looks like he is ripe to get it stolen but he manages to hold on to the ball. He had several fast break layups and dunks where he had to catch the ball in step and take at least one dribble to get to te rim. Ugly and scary but it worked.

He also seems to be able to get one dribble to get separation when he is on the wing or the corner. Catch, use a dribble to get some separation. He needs to master the 12'-15' pull up and he'll be a real weapon. Ideally he'd be a scorer coming off the bench.

Reality is if he is starting in November or any other month it's not because there wasn't some talent pushing him. There is some depth at that position and the coaches will have plenty of time to see which skill set is best for the team.

Long story wrapped up. If he is still getting 25mpg next season it's because the coaches have decided his skills and abilities are better than the other options and he isn't getting those minutes because there isn't another option.

Reaction Score
Polley's handle is odd.

So many times it looks like he is ripe to get it stolen but he manages to hold on to the ball. He had several fast break layups and dunks where he had to catch the ball in step and take at least one dribble to get to te rim. Ugly and scary but it worked.

He also seems to be able to get one dribble to get separation when he is on the wing or the corner. Catch, use a dribble to get some separation. He needs to master the 12'-15' pull up and he'll be a real weapon. Ideally he'd be a scorer coming off the bench.

Reality is if he is starting in November or any other month it's not because there wasn't some talent pushing him. There is some depth at that position and the coaches will have plenty of time to see which skill set is best for the team.

Long story wrapped up. If he is still getting 25mpg next season it's because the coaches have decided his skills and abilities are better than the other options and he isn't getting those minutes because there isn't another option.
Yeah but I see those minutes as backing up Akok at the 4 or when they move to a small linuep with Akok at the 5 and Polley at the PF. Lot of teams play guards at the 3 and Polley just can't cover those type of players with his lack of lateral quickness. He is a good shooter and decent Post defender even if he is slight. The problem he gets into on defense is when he has to cover guys on the outside trying to dribble drive. Unfortunately there are some talented PF's that can dribble drive like the guy from Iowa last year. In an ideal world Polley will be coming off the bench to play the 4 position or for 3 point shooting. If Polley has to play the 3 we will see a lot of zone defense to cover for his lateral quickness on d.

Reaction Score
Not at all. I want him back, I expected him to be back. I think he’s got a really crucial role on a good team, and he is a liability on a bad team when he tries to do too much. If our guard play is solid and he can shoot 3s and spend his energy on defense and rebounds it will be the perfect piece for the team. Like Neils but a little smaller and with a better prey drive.

A letter announcing his return for his senior season is unnecessary. I assume when you come that you stay for your eligibility or you go pro early. You go pro when you’re a lottery pick or you got great exposure in NCAA tourney and think it is your best shot (like Deandre).

The only other announcement that needs to be made is when you’re transferring.

Had he not done what he did last year I would agree. Given that he already thought about leaving early I appreciate him putting it to bed now - I'm sure some would have been speculating.

Reaction Score
I like it. He expressed gratitude and a newly gained perspective and set his intentions for next year, both on the court and off.

And, it was a social media post. Not a press conference or an announcement that he hyped for days or weeks in advance. Get it, Christian!

Reaction Score
CV plays hard every minute of every game. I will take a roster of guys like that every time. IF Gilbert can stay healthy, we have a very strong backcourt to go along with Josh. Happy that CV should be getting his degree and enjoying some happier moments as a Husky.

Reaction Score
CV plays hard every minute of every game. I will take a roster of guys like that every time. IF Gilbert can stay healthy, we have a very strong backcourt to go along with Josh. Happy that CV should be getting his degree and enjoying some happier moments as a Husky.

A roster of guys who never made the NCAA tournament, have beaten 1 ranked team in 3 years, and unfortunately has a sub 500 record while playing in a mid major? Playing hard every minute is cute in YMCA ball but those minutes you're talking about have been painful to watch for 3 years.

Reaction Score
A roster of guys who never made the NCAA tournament, have beaten 1 ranked team in 3 years, and unfortunately has a sub 500 record while playing in a mid major? Playing hard every minute is cute in YMCA ball but those minutes you're talking about have been painful to watch for 3 years.

If every guy played as hard as CV, the last 3 years would have been very different. He led the team in rebounding from the guard position in 2017-18 and nearly did so this past season. You clearly don't get it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If every guy played as hard as CV, the last 3 years would have been very different. He led the team in rebounding from the guard position in 2017-18 and nearly did so this past season. You clearly don't get it.

I disagree but we tend to disagree on a lot of things so we can keep it at that. I'd rather give his minutes to guys who can potentially help us win games.

Reaction Score
Playing hard really hasn't been our problem.

Reaction Score
I disagree but we tend to disagree on a lot of things so we can keep it at that. I'd rather give his minutes to guys who can potentially help us win games.
Are you just trolling? You really think a Sr. Vital can't help us win games especially if he works on his handle in the off season? He still brings ouside shooting, defense and rebounding to the guard position. If we are asking him to be the main ball handler than we are in trouble. Though with a team that has Gilbert and Gaffney as our point guards I have no issue with Vital being one of our shooters. He will definitely improve as you saw how he did this year with better shot selection and using his pull up more often. I'm happy we have Vital for one more year and looking to see what he can provide for leadership to our young guards.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting Vital doesn't help us win?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom