CV and Jalen on Sid | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CV and Jalen on Sid

Reaction Score
In comparison to Polley, you wonder if Wilson’s athleticism will give him a noticeable advantage on the defensive side of the ball. You’d like to think his lateral movements are quicker than Polley’s. Then again, Polley’s three ball might be too valuable to sacrifice big minutes for. Hurley’s impact on the game regarding who he plays and when has just increased ten fold. Luckily there’s no better man for the challenge. But someone please let Hurley know he’ll be getting some grades from us in these next few games. Would hate for him to walk into this mess blindly.
Wilson's athleticism could be countered by Polley's shooting ability. It may depend upon what is needed at any given point of a game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wilson's athleticism could be countered by Polley's shooting ability. It may depend upon what is needed at any given point of a game.

I mean, why not just use both and be done with it? Whoever's hot or has the best matchup on the floor gets the ball.

It's not that hard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
20 posts before a KO reference on a thread having nothing to do with KO. Boneyard KO cessation is underway. Fingers crossed.
haha You have to ease out these things. Cold turkey would kill some of these guys.

Reaction Score
SId Wilson is not going to take Polley's minutes. My guy Polley is a shotmaker, and just smart basketball player. Sid will eat up into Brendan Adams's minutes and Tarin Smith's minutes if he proves himself. He's got the potential, and needs to prove it, but those are the 2 that will lose minutes as a result.

PS: No way you remove Vital from the starting lineup. He's the toughest player we have on the whole team, not to mention the production and intangibles he brings on defense and offense. Alterique hasn't even surpassed CV let alone Sid coming close to getting the nod over him. CV is the spiritual and emotional heart of the team.

Reaction Score
Yakwe will still get his minutes no one tougher on the interior like it or not it means something. If Sid is an impact like some here think there will be some minutes taken from many not just one but it will depend a lot on the match ups.

I like Diarra and think he also will bring something to the table but he was Steve Enoch on defense lost most all the time. The one thing I liked is he could make up for getting beat with the long arms and occasionally block the shot from behind, but he was never a good defender when in. I hear he can make shots so thats good and I like his toughness but we need to see a lot more to pencil him in also when healthy.

Whaley needs to get healthy he can provide key minutes in certain matchups for sure on the defensive end others can't. Not sure how people can pencil him in as the 11th 12th guy, it amazes me!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like Diarra and think he also will bring something to the table but he was Steve Enoch on defense lost most all the time. The one thing I liked is he could make up for getting beat with the long arms and occasionally block the shot from behind, but he was never a good defender when in. I hear he can make shots so thats good and I like his toughness but we need to see a lot more to pencil him in also when healthye!

The only thing we don't know about diarra yet is if his being lost is an inherent deficiency, the way it appears to be for Enoch, or if it is a result of the lack of proper coaching. Hopefully we find it's the latter this year. Though I suspect we won't know for sure until next. That's based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

Reaction Score
The only thing we don't know about diarra yet is if his being lost is an inherent deficiency, the way it appears to be for Enoch, or if it is a result of the lack of proper coaching. Hopefully we find it's the latter this year. Though I suspect we won't know for sure until next. That's based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

Are you talking about KO because I’m not. These guys weren’t coached well we know but having the natural ability to know where to go on hedges, helps etc can sometimes never be taught. Cobb still not good right now, Enoch not good with Mack. Let’s not over analyze coaches but sometimes the players need to have learned some stuff well before they even get here. We will see. Hope he’s better

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are you talking about KO because I’m not. These guys weren’t coached well we know but having the natural ability to know where to go on hedges, helps etc can sometimes never be taught. Cobb still not good right now, Enoch not good with Mack. Let’s not over analyze coaches but sometimes the players need to have learned some stuff well before they even get here. We will see. Hope he’s better

Thing is Diarra hadn't played much basketball. Who knows what kind of coaching he's had outside of KO.

Reaction Score
Thing is Diarra hadn't played much basketball. Who knows what kind of coaching he's had outside of KO.

Fair enough but we will see. He went to the same prep as Jalen? Jalens game knowlegde is really good how he plays on one side is still questionable but he knows how to play on that side, just that 110% things falls short. Kids learn what they want sometimes, offense usually wins the majority vote.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Fair enough but we will see. He went to the same prep as Jalen? Jalens game knowlegde is really good how he plays on one side is still questionable but he knows how to play on that side, just that 110% things falls short. Kids learn what they want sometimes, offense usually wins the majority vote.

This is all true. Diarra is just pretty raw at everything, so I assume the same is for actual on the court knowledge. He still doesn't know much, but we've seen some signs of growth.

I think his learning to not foul is the key. If he can stay on the court, things would slow down, and he'd start to be a little more instinctual.

Reaction Score
Agree. If I was Whaley, I would be pissed. Whaley is limited but he doesn't try to do anything he can't do and he plays very hard.
I think we will start to see more of Whaley and less of Yakwe

Reaction Score
I think we will start to see more of Whaley and less of Yakwe

Whaley and Yakwe are duplicative. Except that Whaley does everything like 25% better.

He's the much better finisher, a better rebounder, has more blocks/min, to my eye plays much more sound positional defense.

I will compliment Yakwe on his screen game. He has just crushed a couple guys, but Whaley is no slouch here either.

I really like Whaley and think he will settle into a nice role as a 10-15 min defense and energy boost.

Just not sure how Yakwe adds anything to that except a bunch of extra fouls.

Reaction Score
I thought Yakwe played well last night.
Agree. That was the pleasant take from last night. Gilbert nailing 3’s was another. Those couple minutes aren’t much to go by but Sid is going to need to get a lot stronger to make an impact. He was the skinniest guy on the floor.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Agree. That was the pleasant take from last night. Gilbert nailing 3’s was another. Those couple minutes aren’t much to go by but Sid is going to need to get a lot stronger to make an impact. He was the skinniest guy on the floor.
He's going to need those weird plyometric shoes too. Getting stuffed by the 10 foot monster could not have been the look he was going for on the first time he touches the ball on the college level.

Reaction Score
He's going to need those weird plyometric shoes too. Getting stuffed by the 10 foot monster could not have been the look he was going for on the first time he touches the ball on the college level.
Definitely not. Poor kid was looking pretty embarrased. Would have been a hell of a debut if it had worked.

Reaction Score
I think for this team to reach its most potential, the most effective lineup should be:

1) Alteriqu
2) Jalen
3) Sid
4) Polley
5) Carlton

Just based on talent. However Sid will need to show a lot of effort and heart to break into the starting lineup. If he does, we will have one heckuva team.
How can u put Sid in lineup at all yet! Based on what?

Reaction Score
How can u put Sid in lineup at all yet! Based on what?
It’s a lineup based on talent. Hurley himself said Sid, outside of Jalen, has the most NBA level talent, and that Sid was one of the reasons he took the UConn job.

As I said, if Sid were to ever break into the starting lineup it will depend on his effort/hunger to play with his all during practice and during games. If he does UConn’s lineup will get much more dangerous.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It’s a lineup based on talent. Hurley himself said Sid, outside of Jalen, has the most NBA level talent, and that Sid was one of the reasons he took the UConn job.

As I said, if Sid were to ever break into the starting lineup it will depend on his effort/hunger to play with his all during practice and during games. If he does UConn’s lineup will get much more dangerous.

For the record, there's was a zero % chance Hurley was giving Sid big minutes right out the gate. You don't reward a significant suspension with playing time. As Hurley said, he's going to have to "earn" his way back into the mix.

Reaction Score
After seeing him the other night I don’t see Sid getting many minutes against Zona or Nova. He will get his time against cupcakes and we will go on from there once he shows something.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
After seeing him the other night I don’t see Sid getting many minutes against Zona or Nova. He will get his time against cupcakes and we will go on from there once he shows something.

I don't even know if it's about showing something. I think it's about putting in the work. He's got to 'earn' it, according to Hurley.

You're not going to 'reward' a guy coming off suspension, thereby taking minutes from the guys who have been doing it both the right way and successfully.

Reaction Score
Sid looked awful the other night. Not talking about the missed dunk, or being kind of lazy because the game was already over.

He didn't seem to remember where to be in the offensive sets. That simple diamond run they do is easy. I could diagram the basic motion by memory right now after having watched it in 5 games. Sid has been in practice for weeks, and 2x forgot to set a screen for the guard and had to be called over. NOT a good sign for his IQ.

Let's hope that changes with some game reps. If this team makes any noise vs. high quality opponents, he is going to need to be a big factor.

Reaction Score
Yakwe will still get his minutes no one tougher on the interior like it or not it means something. If Sid is an impact like some here think there will be some minutes taken from many not just one but it will depend a lot on the match ups.

I like Diarra and think he also will bring something to the table but he was Steve Enoch on defense lost most all the time. The one thing I liked is he could make up for getting beat with the long arms and occasionally block the shot from behind, but he was never a good defender when in. I hear he can make shots so thats good and I like his toughness but we need to see a lot more to pencil him in also when healthy.

Whaley needs to get healthy he can provide key minutes in certain matchups for sure on the defensive end others can't. Not sure how people can pencil him in as the 11th 12th guy, it amazes me!
I didn't see Diarra being lost on defense like Enoch. What I saw was a guy overaggressive on defense. He definitely can play it if he stays at home and doesn't over commit on blocking it. Enoch was just lost on defense all the time. Hopefully Hurely has worked with Diarra to reign in his over aggressive nature on d as we need him on the floor when he is playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom