CT High School Football... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CT High School Football...

Reaction Score
This just doesn't make sense.
Do 9 team regions and play 8 conference games. Then get two flex options in the schedule for your rivalry game and a marquee matchup.

You're worried about Ansonia when we should be looking in the best interest of schools that aren't power houses and can't compete against 100 player rosters when they have 22 kids suited up for varsity.
Name me one small school in the state that has complained about not being able to compete against larger schools with 100 player rosters!!!!
I've never heard of Warde, Ludlowe, Trinity Catholic, or St Joe's complain about playing Danbury, Greenwich, or Trumbull. Danbury is the largest school in the state and TC and St Joe's kicks their @ ss every year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the record, Derby left the SCC and joined NVL because they felt they were at a competitive disadvantage against bigger schools. They also though they’d fare better in a weaker NVL, playing against teams who’s socioeconomic and geographic make up we’re similar to theirs. That hasn’t quite worked out the way they’d hoped. They’re still toward the bottom of the league.

When you look at the traditional powers in CTHSFB, to me it comes down to coaching. Yes, the larger schools have an advantage in numbers, but there are still large schools that suck at football, like Danbury. When you look at New Canaan, Darien, Ansonia, St Joe’s, Windsor, Southington, West Haven, Shelton, even Hillhouse. They’re consistently in the mix because of the continuity in the coaching staffs. There may be small changes within the staff but the way they do things doesn’t change. Sure, they have great football minds and they prepare their kids as well as anyone, but they demand the most from their kids. They have high expectations every year and they hold their players accountable to that standard. Ansonia, for example, has coaches who have been on the staff for 40-years. Who better to teach kids the tradition of the program, then they guys who started it. It’s becomes part of the culture. The kids understand it and want to live up to that tradition. Not all small schools can compete with (I didn’t say beat) the big boys. You can probably count them on one hand. For the state as a whole, the district model is probably the best option. I think the biggest hurdles with that model have been getting teams to agree to end their traditional Thanksgiving rivalries and how it would impact schools that are already working with limited athletic budgets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Name me one small school in the state that has complained about not being able to compete against larger schools with 100 player rosters!!!!
I've never heard of Warde, Ludlowe, Trinity Catholic, or St Joe's complain about playing Danbury, Greenwich, or Trumbull. Danbury is the largest school in the state and TC and St Joe's kicks their @ ss every year.

Trinity and Joe's recruit kids. They would/should play LL anyway. If your roster has X% of kids from a town other than where the school is located they should be considered LL

Reaction Score
Windsor... How many Hartford kids do you think play for them? 10? 15?
Bloomfield....New London....New Britain....basically, anywhere Jack Cochran has been :D

Reaction Score

Ansonia led 62-6 at the half. Ansonia’s overall record is now 800-237-57.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Anybody see Will Levis in person? If so how has he looked?

He is a good player with a very good arm and can move well in the pocket. The team is not as good as they have been in the past. He needs work as he sometimes locks onto a player instead of looking off and gets into trouble when he does that.

Reaction Score
He is a good player with a very good arm and can move well in the pocket. The team is not as good as they have been in the past. He needs work as he sometimes locks onto a player instead of looking off and gets into trouble when he does that.

I would agree - strong potential is there. I've seen him twice, first time he was meh against a strong Wilbur Cross D and lost. Big game tonight but EHHS is not very good. Football: Levis torches East Haven as Xavier evens season record

Reaction Score
Some interesting FCIAC games next week.... Darien-Staples, New Canaan-Greenwich, St Joe's-Ridgefield.

Reaction Score
I would agree - strong potential is there. I've seen him twice, first time he was meh against a strong Wilbur Cross D and lost. Big game tonight but EHHS is not very good. Football: Levis torches East Haven as Xavier evens season record

Thanks. He seems to have a lot of tools to work with, just needs some refinement. Kid had a strong offer list, and got his from us after working out for our coaches in person. They obviously liked what they saw, so I'm good with him.

Reaction Score
@JMick is correct on the playoff point system. The reason Naugatuck at 9-1 wouldn’t make the playoffs in those years was because they didn’t pick up enough bonus points from the teams they beat and losing to a 9-0 Ansonia on Thanksgiving is usually what killed them. Instead of getting 190 points [100 (win) + 90 (bonus for each Ansonia win)], they get zero.
View attachment 25121

I still maintain that if the CIAC limited league play to say 50-70% of the overall schedule then the point system currently in place would be more effective. Teams would have to freedom to schedule non league games and would be encouraged via the point system to find schools of the same size or larger to play (or teams expected to be successful) for the potential points. The current system of everyone playing mostly league games renders the current point system (for school size) ineffective. The playoff system was developed in the days when there were more leagues with fewer teams and non-league games happened with greater frequency.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

played him last yr, he's got the size but I was underwhelmed. a lot can change in a year though. hence the jump in offers seemingly over night.

Reaction Score
I still maintain that if the CIAC limited league play to say 50-70% of the overall schedule then the point system currently in place would be more effective. Teams would have to freedom to schedule non league games and would be encouraged via the point system to find schools of the same size or larger to play (or teams expected to be successful) for the potential points. The current system of everyone playing mostly league games renders the current point system (for school size) ineffective. The playoff system was developed in the days when there were more leagues with fewer teams and non-league games happened with greater frequency.
Smaller leagues would be a nice start, which is why I like the district model. You'd have leagues of 9ish teams, round robin scheduling, and you'd get a district championship banner to hang now that conference championship games are gone. It would give teams a chance to schedule OOC games and you could keep your rivalries.

Reaction Score
Smaller leagues would be a nice start, which is why I like the district model. You'd have leagues of 9ish teams, round robin scheduling, and you'd get a district championship banner to hang now that conference championship games are gone. It would give teams a chance to schedule OOC games and you could keep your rivalries.
The district model would probably not give you the correct best team in the state. A class S or M school would never win the state poll again under the district model. It just wouldn't be fair be it if the school was Bloomfield, Ansonia, Derby or St Joe's. The present model does get it right for the most part, be it a small class S or M school or a large LL school.

Reaction Score
The district model would probably not give you the correct best team in the state. A class S or M school would never win the state poll again under the district model. It just wouldn't be fair be it if the school was Bloomfield, Ansonia, Derby or St Joe's. The present model does get it right for the most part, be it a small class S or M school or a large LL school.
You keep saying this and it doesn't make any more sense than the first time you said it. Let's use Ansonia for example. A potential schedule for them could be:

Conference:
Seymour
Trinity
Notre-Dame Fairfield
Woodland
Abbot Tech/Immaculate
Oxford
Holy Cross
Sacred-Heart

OOC:
Shelton (Thanksgiving - Annual)
Wilbur Cross/West Haven/Trumbull/Newtown

That schedule would be so much better than what they play now and they would get more first place votes by playing and beating Shelton or any of the surrounding towns annually.

Reaction Score
Trinity and Joe's recruit kids. They would/should play LL anyway. If your roster has X% of kids from a town other than where the school is located they should be considered LL
Xavier, Notre Dame West Haven, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom