CT High School Football... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CT High School Football...

Reaction Score
Smaller leagues would be a nice start, which is why I like the district model. You'd have leagues of 9ish teams, round robin scheduling, and you'd get a district championship banner to hang now that conference championship games are gone. It would give teams a chance to schedule OOC games and you could keep your rivalries.

The district model has its advantages. I am just not sure if people want to shake it up that much. As far as the conference championship games are gone - I think conferences are still selecting their champions, just not through a championship game. Even when the games were there I think only about half of the conferences had a championship game to begin with. I think the conferences like the control they presently have, and going to the district model changes all of that. However I think by limiting the amount of conference games you allow the conferences to remain intact but you get more scheduling freedom and you allow the point system to do its job more effectively. I'd even go as far as to say for your non-conference games you could schedule an in-conference opponent (if you were trying to preserve a rivalry or reduce travel, etc) but it would count as a non-conference game. For instance, let's say each conference can schedule 5 of the 10 games for each team. They release the conference schedule and then each school is left to fill in the rest. You could still schedule a conference opponent but you would be subject to the point system and not automatically get 100 points for a win regardless of school size.
This would allow something like say, a Shelton-Ansonia game. They are in close proximity and Ansonia stands to make out great with a win over a LL school due to the point system. Shelton would lose points for playing a S school but is almost assured of getting big bonus points as Ansonia usually wins a lot of games. However a team like Shelton would be discouraged against playing a team like Bassick (if it were not designated as a conference game) because yes it is likely an easy win, but you wouldn't fare well in losing points for school size and a lack of bonus points for a win. If you stuck with the district model you would not see a game that crosses over school size at all.

Reaction Score
You keep saying this and it doesn't make any more sense than the first time you said it. Let's use Ansonia for example. A potential schedule for them could be:

Conference:
Seymour
Trinity
Notre-Dame Fairfield
Woodland
Abbot Tech/Immaculate
Oxford
Holy Cross
Sacred-Heart

OOC:
Shelton (Thanksgiving - Annual)
Wilbur Cross/West Haven/Trumbull/Newtown

That schedule would be so much better than what they play now and they would get more first place votes by playing and beating Shelton or any of the surrounding towns annually.
I don't think the demographics of a small state like Connecticut that has industrial areas as well as rural areas would support a district model. In your small school district league, what happens to small schools like Weston, St Joe's, Barlow, and Bethel that are surrounded by a plethora of LL and L schools? Also Shelton never plays Ansonia on Thanksgiving, they've been playing Derby for years. In a district model if you think Shelton, West Haven, Wilbur Cross, Trumbull and Newtown will be chomping at the bit to schedule OOC games with Oxford, Woodland, Abbot Tech, and Trinity, then I've got land in Florida you might be interested in? I say if it ain't broke don't fix it, your district model might improve a couple aspects of HS football in CT but it also opens up a whole new can of worms and causes a whole new set of problems, and is grossly unfair to many many schools on many levels. Not to mention fans up around Southington would go apesh-it if all of a sudden they had to play Cheshire, Xavier, Amity and Prep every year. They won't let it happen and neither would the FCIAC, SCC, and SWC. The district model would work well in larger States like Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, and I'll bet gas stations in those States would love the district model. Lol.

If Ansonia really wants a kick ass league, I say resurrect the old MBIAC. Harding, Bassick, Central, Shelton, Stratford, St Joe's, Notre Dame of Fairfield, Prep, Bunnell, Law, and add Ansonia, Amity and one or two others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think the demographics of a small state like Connecticut that has industrial areas as well as rural areas would support a district model. In your small school district league, what happens to small schools like Weston, St Joe's, Barlow, and Bethel that are surrounded by a plethora of LL and L schools? Also Shelton never plays Ansonia on Thanksgiving, they've been playing Derby for years. In a district model if you think Shelton, West Haven, Wilbur Cross, Trumbull and Newtown will be chomping at the bit to schedule OOC games with Oxford, Woodland, Abbot Tech, and Trinity, then I've got land in Florida you might be interested in? I say if it ain't broke don't fix it, your district model might improve a couple aspects of HS football in CT but it also opens up a whole new can of worms and causes a whole new set of problems, and is grossly unfair to many many schools on many levels. Not to mention fans up around Southington would go apesh-it if all of a sudden they had to play Cheshire, Xavier, Amity and Prep every year. They won't let it happen and neither would the FCIAC, SCC, and SWC. The district model would work well in larger States like Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, and I'll bet gas stations in those States would love the district model. Lol.

If Ansonia really wants a kick ass league, I say resurrect the old MBIAC. Harding, Bassick, Central, Shelton, Stratford, St Joe's, Notre Dame of Fairfield, Prep, Bunnell, Law, and add Ansonia, Amity and one or two others.

You're making it out to be a lot harder than it is. The district model would work better in a small state because your furthest opponent isn't even that far away. As for the schools you mentioned, they're actually the best case for the district model. The "SWC" district would look something like:

Barlow
Bassick
Bethel
Brookfield
Bunnell
New Fairfield
St. Joes (if you really want to count them as an S/M school. They should really be LL)
Stratford
Weston

No one has to drive over an hour.

You're so worried about the state rankings that you don't care about a team like Notre-Dame Fairfield having to play Newtown every year. No S schools should be forced to play LL schools because of their schedule. There are about 15-20 teams annually that might have a shot at the top 10. There are 100 of other schools that just want to play a fair schedule.

Your comment about schools not wanting to schedule teams like Oxford, Woodland, etc. is just moronic. Alabama schedules lousy teams in the middle of their schedule every year. A lot of teams would like a break. If Bethel wants to schedule Newtown good for them, but they shouldn't be forced to. The current schedule for a lot of schools is akin to Vermont having to play in the ACC during the year while remaining in FCS. Do you think they would ever make the FCS playoffs when 80% of their games are against FBS schools?

Reaction Score
I really starting to think they should pluck paraochials/schools of choice (maybe even the preps but PG years are problematic) and create their own Division as a start.

Reaction Score
I really starting to think they should pluck paraochials/schools of choice (maybe even the preps but PG years are problematic) and create their own Division as a start.
I'd rather just stick them in LL. If your players come from a certain number of towns other than where the school is, then you should be in LL. St. Joes has students from over 20 towns IIRC

Reaction Score
You're making it out to be a lot harder than it is. The district model would work better in a small state because your furthest opponent isn't even that far away. As for the schools you mentioned, they're actually the best case for the district model. The "SWC" district would look something like:

Barlow
Bassick
Bethel
Brookfield
Bunnell
New Fairfield
St. Joes (if you really want to count them as an S/M school. They should really be LL)
Stratford
Weston

No one has to drive over an hour.

Where's Trinity Catholic, where's Immaculate, where's ND of Fairfield, who do they play? Pop Warner teams, Brewster NY?

As to your argument on the state poll, from week to week it is a balanced list if different sized schools. Ansonia is Class S, St Joe's is Class S, New Canaan is L, Darien is LL, Masuk is L, Fitch is M or L, Windsor is M or L, not sure about Middletown. In your district model, seeing a Class S or M school in the top ten would be extremely rare.

Reaction Score
There aren't enough of them, the state is too small. It works in Jersey, though travel expenses are enormous and very unfair.

Reaction Score
I'd rather just stick them in LL. If your players come from a certain number of towns other than where the school is, then you should be in LL. St. Joes has students from over 20 towns IIRC

That may work - I was thinking all sports (well, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey). Not sure determining factor of male student population is as effective as it once may have been.

http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=137

big delta btwn LL Danbury @ 1500 change and Fairfield Ludlowe @ 700 change

Reaction Score
Where's Trinity Catholic, where's Immaculate, where's ND of Fairfield, who do they play? Pop Warner teams, Brewster NY?

As to your argument on the state poll, from week to week it is a balanced list if different sized schools. Ansonia is Class S, St Joe's is Class S, New Canaan is L, Darien is LL, Masuk is L, Fitch is M or L, Windsor is M or L, not sure about Middletown. In your district model, seeing a Class S or M school in the top ten would be extremely rare.

Like I said, you're worried about maybe 20 teams instead of the other hundred. And it wouldn't be that rare because in a 9 team conference you'd have room for two out of district games if you so choose. Brookfield could go to Masuk or Newtown. Bloomfield could go to Southington. Berlin could go to Cheshire. This would also keep the CCC from gaming the playoff point system. The fact that under the current system, Windsor and Southington don't play each other is absurd and it's all so they can have easy roads to the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Like I said, you're worried about maybe 20 teams instead of the other hundred. And it wouldn't be that rare because in a 9 team conference you'd have room for two out of district games if you so choose. Brookfield could go to Masuk or Newtown. Bloomfield could go to Southington. Berlin could go to Cheshire. This would also keep the CCC from gaming the playoff point system. The fact that under the current system, Windsor and Southington don't play each other is absurd and it's all so they can have easy roads to the playoffs.
Masuk or Newtown wouldn't play Brookfield, they'd rather schedule OOC games with Xavier, Darien, Prep, West Haven, NDWH, or New Canaan. There would be no incentive for larger schools to play OOC games with schools like Brookfield, and every incentive to play OOC games with the state power programs.

Reaction Score
Masuk or Newtown wouldn't play Brookfield, they'd rather schedule OOC games with Xavier, Darien, Prep, West Haven, NDWH, or New Canaan. There would be no incentive for larger schools to play OOC games with schools like Brookfield, and every incentive to play OOC games with the state power programs.
I doubt it. Why are you going to schedule a team you'll probably see in the playoffs? You're going to end up scheduling local short travel OOC games.

Reaction Score
Those 20 teams are there because they are the best teams year in and year out. How stupid can you be?

I say that with all due respect. Lol

How on Earth would the district model give a bottom one hundred team any hope of ever improving it's football program????? Say if a cracker Jack coach came along and got things moving?

Reaction Score
Those 20 teams are there because they are the best teams year in and year out. How stupid can you be?

I say that with all due respect. Lol

Exactly. They're going to be good regardless and they'll still get the votes if they're good. You are worried about the lucky few when there are 5x as many teams who benefit from the district model. A lot of schedules wouldn't even change that much.

Reaction Score
I would agree - strong potential is there. I've seen him twice, first time he was meh against a strong Wilbur Cross D and lost. Big game tonight but EHHS is not very good. Football: Levis torches East Haven as Xavier evens season record
When you said EHHS, I thought you meant East Hartford High...how are they doing lousy as usual? Last time football was big in East Hartford was when they played George Penny on Thanksgiving...

Reaction Score
When you said EHHS, I thought you meant East Hartford High...how are they doing lousy as usual? Last time football was big in East Hartford was when they played George Penny on Thanksgiving...
our first 2017 commit is from EHHS

Reaction Score
Week two of the SWC/SCC crossover results. SWC takes six of 11 games.

Bethel 25, Lyman Hall 22
Brookfield 31, Guilford 21
Daniel Hand 34, Bunnell 6
East Lyme 28, Barlow 20
Hillhouse 34, New Fairfield 0
Masuk 48, Amity 10
New Milford 47, Hamden 7
Shelton 35, Newtown 28
Weston 36, Creed/Career 27
North Haven 42, Pomperaug 14
Stratford 35, Harding 26

Final tally:

SCC: 12 wins
SWC: 10 wins

Reaction Score
St Joe’s came back from a 25-point deficit to beat Ridgefield, 38-35.
Greenwich knocked off New Canaan, 36-21.

Reaction Score
St Joe’s came back from a 25-point deficit to beat Ridgefield, 38-35.
Greenwich knocked off New Canaan, 36-21.
crazy weekend. St. Joes may be Ansonia's only test all year assuming they even get in with a loss or two. The current Class S playoff standings is a joke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom