CSM Preseason All American Teams - Well looky here | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CSM Preseason All American Teams - Well looky here

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I agree that Kia will outperform the general level of expectations for her. She should be coming into the season with her confidence at a very high level, which may not have been the case last year, at least she seemed tentative at first until the DePaul game. Also, she was a deadly three point shooter over the last ten or so games last year and has developed into a mechanically sound, dependable spot up shooter. She will have numerous opportunities as other teams try to gameplan against Lou, Napheesa, Gabby and Azura. Someone has to be left open on the perimeter and my guess is most of the time it will be Kia. UConn will also be pressing a lot and playing a fullcourt game, and she should be on the front end of a whole lot of fast breaks.

Also agree that Megan Walker will have a tough time coming away with awards due to limited minutes, although she will make the most of the minutes she gets. But cutting down the nets in April should be award enough.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I st Team
G: Kelsey Mitchell
G: Katie Lou Samuelson
SF: Napheesa Collier
PF: A’ja Wilson
C: Kalani Brown

2nd Team
G: Lexie Brown
G: Asia Durr
SF: Gabby Williams
PF: Azura Stevens
C: Kristine Anigwe

3rd Team:
G: Jordin Canada
G: Kia Nurse
SF: Shakayla Thomas
PF: Megan Gustafson
C: Mercedes Russell

4th Team
G: Sabrina Ionescu
G: Brooke McCarty
SF: Jamie Nared
PF: Michelle Nwokedi
C: Kaylee Jensen

Coco: I know these are your picks due to another reply, but I just want to clarify:
- Are these rankings what you think they should be?
or
- What you think would be named?

I have a feeling it's the first but you so often see prognosticators differentiate between who will win and who should win that I wanted to make sure.

And, to answer a possible question, I am thinking about the placement of Kelsey Mitchell.

Thanks for the clarification.

Reaction Score
Great call on the difficulty of Megan becoming freshman of the year and the wrong-headedness about Z being "only" 3rd team. I don't dispute Gabby at 2nd team: the same richness of talent that will limit Megan's minutes may well limit Gabby's opportunities to dominate. Kia should surprise, depending on what position she's at: point or 2 guard. Her jumper really improved by the middle of last year, and if she can continue that, and can begin completing more of those power drives (she seems to think that just getting to the basket is the point: gotta finish with finesse, Kia!), then she will be awesome.

But in any case, it's clear that no team can put on the court anything remotely like the talent that UConn has.

All true. Now, since B. Turner is not going to play this year, how about inserting Gabby in her place on the 1st team? Frankly, I'd rather have Williams than Turner anyway. And, as you imply, Kia needs to find a place in there somewhere; she's an essential component of UConn's success. By year's end, Azura will be on everyone's 1st team IMO.

Reaction Score
Madness Women's Basketball Preseason All-American Teams

No love for Kia, Azurá on the third team and Gabbyriffic on the second team, while out for the season Brianna Turner sits smiling on the first team... I know preseason means absolutely nothing, but seriously?

They also awarded Megan Walker, Freshman of the year.. One of the problems of having a team this deep at Storrs, I very much doubt Megan will be able to put up the numbers this year to garner that award..

So, let me get this straight: UConn gets 2 players on 1st team, COY, and FOY, AND folks still complain about Uconn getting dissed?

lol

I hope everyone is enjoying this time. It sure won't be like this in 15 years. Probably not 10.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't know exactly where I'd put her, but Monique Billings has to be one of the top 20 players in the country.

The lack of respect she gets on a national level is baffling. If I remember correctly she didn't even get a vote for the AP all american team last season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: I know these are your picks due to another reply, but I just want to clarify:
- Are these rankings what you think they should be?
or
- What you think would be named?

I have a feeling it's the first but you so often see prognosticators differentiate between who will win and who should win that I wanted to make sure.

And, to answer a possible question, I am thinking about the placement of Kelsey Mitchell.

Thanks for the clarification.
These are what I think they should be with a couple caveats. I did it by position actually played and covered all positions. Also did not include players that are not eligible to play this coming season -like Turner & Shepard who appeal is still pending. There are three names on my list that very few people would recognize Megan Gustafson (Iowa) , Kaylee Jensen (OKst) & Michelle Nwokedi (Penn). These girls are putting in work and getting no recognition. @triaddukefan I feel you on Monique Billings but I would take any of these three before Billings.

I'm not a big fan of Kelsey Mitchell style of play (or her coach) (or her father/coach) but she not going to suddenly fall off the First Team AA list after two straight years of being on the list.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
These are what I think they should be with a couple caveats. I did it by position actually played and covered all positions. Also did not include players that are not eligible to play this coming season -like Turner & Shepard who appeal is still pending. There are three names on my list that very few people would recognize Megan Gustafson (Iowa) , Kaylee Jensen (OKst) & Michelle Nwokedi (Penn). These girls are putting in work and getting no recognition. @triaddukefan I feel you on Monique Billings but I would take any of these three before Billings.

I'm not a big fan of Kelsey Mitchell style of play (or her coach) (or her father/coach) but she not going to suddenly fall off the First Team AA list after two straight years of being on the list.

Thanks. Totally get it in regards to injuries and eligibility, as well as all positions. With Turner injured and Shepard in eligibility purgatory, it's interesting to not see -- but understandable -- an Irish on one of the four teams. Once the season starts, it will be also be interesting to see which of the Irish step up (or have their shooting arms fall off in the process) to fill scoring and leadership voids among Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Thompson or Young. If Shepard's appeal is turned down, I think we'll see a lot of Young on the floor going full tilt...

Thanks for the list...makes for some good thinking prior to the season (as interesting as they are, recruiting updates are not games!) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Second team, huh? South Carolina's Wilson is probably already apprehensive about meeting Sophie again on Jan. 7th.

SC's not apprehensive about facing NO ONE!! We are the defending champs not to mention 4 time SEC regular season and 3 time tourney champs!! Let's just see if you have this same energy when SC curb stomps Mizzou in the fake Columbia Jan. 5th

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SC's not apprehensive about facing NO ONE!! We are the defending champs not to mention 4 time SEC regular season and 3 time tourney champs!! Let's just see if you have this same energy when SC curb stomps Mizzou in the fake Columbia Jan. 5th
tenor.gif

Reaction Score
I st Team
G: Kelsey Mitchell
G: Katie Lou Samuelson
SF: Napheesa Collier
PF: A’ja Wilson
C: Kalani Brown
2nd Team
G: Lexie Brown
G: Asia Durr
SF: Gabby Williams
PF: Azura Stevens
C: Kristine Anigwe
3rd Team:
G: Jordin Canada
G: Kia Nurse
SF: Shakayla Thomas
PF: Megan Gustafson
C: Mercedes Russell
4th Team
G: Sabrina Ionescu
G: Brooke McCarty
SF: Jamie Nared
PF: Michelle Nwokedi
C: Kaylee Jensen

Pretty solid picks Coco. How dare I criticize a list without putting up one of my own. I believe that's the standard or at least it should be.
It's difficult call as there is a lot of talent out there.

1st/1st' Team
G: Jordan Canada, Kia Nurse, Kelsey Mitchell
G: Arike Ogunbowale, Asia Durr
SF: Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson (she is not a guard), Gabby Williams
PF: A’ja Wilson, (Azura Stevens), Katie Lou Samuelson
C: Mercedes Russell, Monique Billings

Comments:
J.Canada is the #1 point guard in America. Her game is very similar to M.Jefferson. She can flat out run the point.
An Olympian, National team starter, gold medal winning point guard can't make their list? 1st/2nd/3rd team?

The National Defensive Player of the Year, Late Season NPOY watchlist member, a player averaging over 20ppg in the tournament and she can't get a 1st team "pre-season" nod? (or an invite from TeamUSA?)

The talent at the point guard position is extremely deep. Between Canada, Nurse and Mitchell you have a MoJeff clone, a Kelsey Plum clone and a great all around guard (great size, great outside shot, a poised experienced floor general who has been tested on the biggest stages).

At the shooting guard position there is nothing between Arike and Durr. Outstanding scorers, inside, outside and off the bounce. KLS is not a 2-guard. She can't run with Durr or Ogunbowale.

At small forward you have 3 of the Core 4. Pick your poison. These 3 can carry you at least to the FF if not all the way. They are all returning 1st team AA's.
Power forward is KLS' position.

There is a gap between 1st/1st' Team and everyone else. I believe that for the most part the first and second team are damn near interchangeable.

3rd Team

G: Brooke McCarty, Tyasha Harris, Lexie Brown
G: Sabrina Ionescu, Chennedy Carter, Ariel Atkins
SF: Victoria Vivians, Jamie Nared, B.McPhee
PF: Myisha Hines-Allen, Shak Thomas
C: Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown

Chennedy Carter = National Freshman of the Year
A'ja Wilson = National Player of the Year. [Only because she doesn't have 4 teammates who are competing against each other for the award]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This comes up every year just before the season starts. Pre-season top ten teams. Pre-season All-Americans. If you had 10 different people comprising a list for each, you'd have 10 different lists. Everyone here in the BY could make up their own AA and top 10 pre-season list. I guarantee at least 3 UConn players would be on most of our AA lists. It all comes down to perception.

As we surmised last year (Charlie Cream's way too early top 25), pre-season polls and selections mean absolutely nothing, regardless of who is doing the selecting. Much ado about nothing. The selections loss all credibility with me when Brianna Turner (ND) was on the first team, and she's sitting out the entire season. Using that logic, why didn't they rate Azure Stevens last year? She had a very good year at Duke the season before. They knew she was going to sit out the season too?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My list:
1st team: Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby
2nd team: Z, Kia
3rd team: Crystal
4th team: Megan
To this all I can say is, "Hope springs eternal."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
LOL

I'm sure A'ja Wilson is trembling in her boots at the mere thought of the great Sophie Cunningham.

Well, Missouri won the last time they played and Cunningham went for 23 pts, 7 reb, 5 ast and scored the winning bucket. So I don't quite understand the sneering condescension.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

upload_2017-10-10_16-4-43.png

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No love for Kia, Azurá on the third team and Gabbyriffic on the second team, while out for the season Brianna Turner sits smiling on the first team... I know preseason means absolutely nothing, but seriously?

Quite correct. It is very hard to take these folks seriously. Did they just look at a list of players and pick familiar names? Turner on 1st team indeed. :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All preseason AA teams are a bit of a crap-shoot. The AP is reasonably well respected and they issue a preseason AA team based on the voting of 30+ respected reporters who cover WBB. Here are the AP's preseason and postseason 1st team AA's for last year:

Preseason

A'ja Wilson
Kelsey Mitchell
Nina Davis
Briana Turner
Kelsey Plum

Postseason

A'ja Wilson
Briana Jones
Lou
Pheesa
Kelsey Plum

So the best WBB reporters in the country got 2 out of 5 right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom