CSM Preseason All American Teams - Well looky here | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CSM Preseason All American Teams - Well looky here

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts for now:

Lou may not be able to run with Durr, but for Team USA, Lou had to run the point, because Durr couldn't run the plays.

When did this happen?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't see a reason why she should be ruled eligible this season. would ND be pushing hard for this if Turner hadn't gotten injured?
The reason has not been made public. It was also not made public when Chatrice White transferred from Illinois to FSU and was made immediately available. There are also a very good reasons for ND (or any school) to look into making the player immediately eligible. 1) This is the NCAA we are talking about-very flaky decision making. 2) If a player has to sit a year it makes then closer to being WNBA draft eligible.
UCONN looked into making Azura immediately available but Geno said there was nothing there to support it so nothing was done.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The reason has not been made public. It was also not made public when Chatrice White transferred from Illinois to FSU and was made immediately available. There are also a very good reasons for ND (or any school) to look into making the player immediately eligible. 1) This is the NCAA we are talking about-very flaky decision making. 2) If a player has to sit a year it makes then closer to being WNBA draft eligible.
UCONN looked into making Azura immediately available but Geno said there was nothing there to support it so nothing was done.

Muffet keeps talking about a "hardship" waiver. I thought the NCAA had done away with hardship waivers. To the extent the NCAA granted hardship waivers they typically involved players transferring to a school closer to home for family reasons. Shepard, of course, transferred away from home. Nebraska made a coaching change that looks to be positive. Where's the hardship?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lou may not be able to run with Durr, but for Team USA, Lou had to run the point, because Durr couldn't run the plays.
When did this happen?
It didn't if you are talking about USA basketball U17 from summer of 2014 when a Salvadores led almost upset USA team. Durr had a brilliant tournament. KLS was in foul trouble against the Spanish. Throughout the tournament coach Sue Phillips gave KLS a few possessions at the point in almost every game and the results were mix. This was curious because this was a team loaded with PGs, besides Durr there was Anna Wilson and Sabrina Ionescu. Salvadores went off for 40 against the US because the US squad did not have a single solid perimeter defender on that squad.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Muffet keeps talking about a "hardship" waiver. I thought the NCAA had done away with hardship waivers. To the extent the NCAA granted hardship waivers they typically involved players transferring to a school closer to home for family reasons. Shepard, of course, transferred away from home. Nebraska made a coaching change that looks to be positive. Where's the hardship?
Yea, I am totally confused by this specific "hardship" language. Last time I remember the hardship thing coming into play was 2015 when a player ( Richardson???) transferred from FSU to Seton Hall to be closer to home and I believe there was an ailing parent or grad parent involved. If being closer to home was the standard for hardship then Lexie Brown would have met the standard because that was her stated reason for leaving MD.

Reaction Score
I'm ready to see Chennedy Carter vs Evina Westbrook or Anastasia Hayes. It should be a good match up. Holly said in presser last week talking about Hayes and Westbrook. I really like both in together.

Might as well get your LadyVols "stuff" in any thread possible. Seems like Holly got a lot to say except when it comes to a post game presser.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Might as well get your LadyVols "stuff" in any thread possible. Seems like Holly got a lot to say except when it comes to a post game presser.
Ok a few thoughts about the list. I'm glad to see Mercedes getting some preseason love. I think she is going to have a real good year. I do think since Turner isn't playing she should be removed. I do think that Wilson should the preseason POY.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

If there is a genuinely good reason, I wouldn't expect McGraw to tell us anyway. I feel like the coaching staff often isn't forthcoming with information. The local media, especially during football season, can't possibly be bothered to any reporting on women's basketball, so there's no help there.

I genuinely have no idea what their argument is, so I'm expecting that Shepard will have to sit. But as @CocoHusky said, this is the NCAA - anything's possible.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Because A'ja could care less about Missouri when she's won the SEC every year she's been in college.. won the SEC player of the year twice already and has the chance to be the ONLY player to win it 3 times.. won a national championship (going undefeated AFTER losing to Missouri), and was ALSO named the MOP of the final four...

And then today received her first of what will probably be several preseason player of the year honors... so yeah, I doubt she's thinking about Cunningham until the Missouri game comes. Bigger fish.

And if you REALLY want to break it down, she wasn't matched up with Cunningham in that game anyway.. it was Davis and Gray... but I HIGHLY doubt they're worrying about Cunningham either since they're too busy making the WNBA all rookie team and winning Rookie of the Year.

Did that help?

Not really, insofar as I already know about Wilson's laundry list of accomplishments. Of course that Mizzou poster was being hyperbolic and I'm sure that Wilson's not "apprehensive" about playing Mizzou at all.

That said, Cunningham is pretty good and she beat y'all last time out...

There's no doubt who the better player and better team is, but Cunningham is no laughingstock.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
My team would be Billings/Wilson, Collier/Williams, KLS, Canada, Mitchell. Yes I am greedy but the final results will depend on which of the / have the better season and that also will depend on how the team does. And yes the Bruins have a lot to prove and live up to but I am hoping they can do it.

3rdbass is correct and I know Sue Phillips. She ran KLS at the point. Remember this was when KLS was coming off of an injury and illness and they still needed her to play. There was too much one on one going on throughout the tournament and as Phillips is a very run the offense oriented coach she played KLS at the point to get the players involved that she wanted involved. Dawn Staley award finalists last year included KLS, Uconn runs KLS in the offense for pick and rolls. Not sure why you have a few who insist on well lets say trying to say KLS can't do this and that when she has shown that she can is mind boggling. Actually, I can, I have seen it happen on our board and others but it is usually from those who are not really fans of the whole team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If there is a genuinely good reason, I wouldn't expect McGraw to tell us anyway. I feel like the coaching staff often isn't forthcoming with information. The local media, especially during football season, can't possibly be bothered to any reporting on women's basketball, so there's no help there.

I genuinely have no idea what their argument is, so I'm expecting that Shepard will have to sit. But as @CocoHusky said, this is the NCAA - anything's possible.

I understand. It's the reference to "hardship" that's been baffling (see quotes below) both because the NCAA announced there will be no more hardship waivers for transfers and because the evidence of a hardship is not apparent. There is a local media that pays attention to women's basketball in Lincoln and the view there was that Shepard wanted a fresh start away from home, away from the attention that comes with being a local star and away from the continual comparisons to another local star who stayed home to play, Jordan Hooper.

My guess is Shepard's argument will be whatever Natalie Romeo argued that allowed her immediate eligibility when she left Nebraska for Washington after Yori resigned. Shepard (and Notre Dame) will hope the NCAA ignores the fact that she chose to stay at Nebraska for another year and play for Amy Williams and ignore her public comments about why she transferred to Notre Dame (better coaches, better skill development and better chance to win a championship).

McGraw said the Irish are exploring whether applying for a hardship waiver for immediate eligibility for Shepard makes sense.

Notre Dame has filed paperwork with the NCAA for a hardship waiver that would allow 6-foot-4 Nebraska transfer Jessica Shepard to immediately become eligible.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
There is a push for making it easier for transfers to play immediately. Either way, the current situation of allowing some and not others is baffling.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you're interested in what she said.

I will wait until her team consistently plays up to the potential dictated by their talent level. Till then.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When did this happen?
2014 or 2015. See Wallman’s post. I didn’t see the video, but I recall the post from a reliable source. There was some discussion of it on the BY. What I remember was that Durr surprisingly couldn’t handle it, but Lou surprisingly could.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you're interested in what she said.

Holly says they haven't worked on team practice, but leaders have stepped up. Holly is nothing if not entertaining. She runs a rich play book of coaching platitudes.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
SC's not apprehensive about facing NO ONE!! We are the defending champs not to mention 4 time SEC regular season and 3 time tourney champs!! Let's just see if you have this same energy when SC curb stomps Mizzou in the fake Columbia Jan. 5th

Who won their last meeting? How many did Sophie drop on you?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Holly says they haven't worked on team practice, but leaders have stepped up. Holly is nothing if not entertaining. She runs a rich play book of coaching platitudes.
She was talking about before the first official practice. Until official practice starts its limited.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Because A'ja could care less about Missouri when she's won the SEC every year she's been in college.. won the SEC player of the year twice already and has the chance to be the ONLY player to win it 3 times.. won a national championship (going undefeated AFTER losing to Missouri), and was ALSO named the MOP of the final four...

And then today received her first of what will probably be several preseason player of the year honors... so yeah, I doubt she's thinking about Cunningham until the Missouri game comes. Bigger fish.

And if you REALLY want to break it down, she wasn't matched up with Cunningham in that game anyway.. it was Davis and Gray... but I HIGHLY doubt they're worrying about Cunningham either since they're too busy making the WNBA all rookie team and winning Rookie of the Year.

Did that help?

No one is saying that Wilson is not a great player, Dude. She is and is a great SEC rep. Believe me, though, Sophie will definitely be on her mind when they roll into Columbia for the Jan. 7th game. I don't understand you or anyone else dissing Sophie. Lighten up.

Reaction Score
Who won their last meeting? How many did Sophie drop on you?

Sophie had a great game and yes you guys won the game -- on a last second shot. But if you don't think Dawn is going to come hard this year think again. Wilson's game will be elevated even higher now that she's a senior as well as Cuevas-Moore. Plus the surrounding cast of Harris, Jennings, Spann, Cliney, Herbert Harrigan and the freshman and you have a team that could easily win the SEC again.

You continue to bring up Cunningham (she's a good player) but When Sophie gets shut down defensively who will Mizzou turn to? You can bet Dawn has a plan to shut her down, let see who steps up in her place....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You continue to bring up Cunningham (she's a good player) but When Sophie gets shut down defensively who will Mizzou turn to? You can bet Dawn has a plan to shut her down, let see who steps up in her place....

Did Dawn not have a plan last time? If she didn't, that seems like poor coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom