Crowd observations of Tulsa game... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Crowd observations of Tulsa game...

Reaction Score
Disagree. It will just become the new normal.

No one's said it in this thread yet so I will. The biggest issue is that stadium is a half hour away from campus. It can't be fixed, but it is silly to ignore it. Our student attendance would be dramatically better if the games were on campus and we'd be building the next generation of fans.

On campus stadiums struggle with student attendance too. It comes down to having a tradition of winning. Establish that and students will come.

Reaction Score
No one's said it in this thread yet so I will. The biggest issue is that stadium is a half hour away from campus. It can't be fixed, but it is silly to ignore it. Our student attendance would be dramatically better if the games were on campus and we'd be building the next generation of fans.

Did they just move the stadium in the last 7 years?

Losing is the biggest issue for students - not the bus/car ride. AD Dave has even made the student busses free compared to previous year and students have a designated parking lot (w/ reduced parking fee) if they drive.

Reaction Score
Win and everyone else will come. Students become less critical at that point.

Reaction Score
Also, the announcer needs to cool it with the “Another UConn First Down” thing. The crowd isn’t responsive and it is embarrassing every time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, the announcer needs to cool it with the “Another UConn First Down” thing.

I read an SNL article and it told the story how the writers wanted to to fire Don Pardo (without telling him beforehand) live, on-air. They thought it would be funny. I keep wishing that they fire this guy. During a game would be perfect. Anyone would be a step up.

Reaction Score
Also, the announcer needs to cool it with the “Another UConn First Down” thing. The crowd isn’t responsive and it is embarrassing every time.

Pretty sure he was to blame for the second false start on 4th down when they were attempting the fg. Just as they were about to snap the ball, he announces they are out to attempt a fg, and there was movement simultaneously. Thanks for the home field advantage...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Worth a reminder that student fees are keeping the freaking program afloat. Millions of dollars.

Oh, but, they don't stick around for the third quarter?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Worth a reminder that student fees are keeping the freaking program afloat. Millions of dollars.

Oh, but, they don't stick around for the third quarter?

And not on time...

Reaction Score
Agreed, but it has ALWAYS sucked at The Rent! The worst experience entering a stadium for a FB game I've ever been through, and I've been to about 10 Big Time Stadiums over the years. When I went to ND for our game, they took my ticket and said: "Welcome to Notre Dame!" No full body cavity searches or anything else people deal with at The Rent.

In 2009 terrorism was not the threat it is today at entertainment venues. It doesn't bother me at the least that someone is overly cautious for the safety of fans. Take you choice (a) wanded (b) shot (c) blown up. For someone who has been involved in Homeland Security training, item (a) is the least annoying.

Reaction Score
Not at all. I just miss when The Rent was the loudest place for opposing teams to go into every year. I understand that the product has been poor, but yesterday was a beautiful day and so many didn't even come into the stadium.

As a UConn fan for almost 40 years I would like to see fans stay till the end. Call me old fashion if you want, but this leaving while the game is in play stinks.
I agree, and want the same things you do. The thing is that's not solely a product of the students not showing up. Fans of all ages are not showing up or are leaving early. No one's commenting on the tens of thousands of regular UConn fans who filled up the 40,000 seats during the 2000s that aren't showing up at all anymore. What's their excuse?

There's no need to single out one group for something they aren't responsible for and then insult them with derogatory language.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On campus stadiums struggle with student attendance too. It comes down to having a tradition of winning. Establish that and students will come.
Did they just move the stadium in the last 7 years?

Losing is the biggest issue for students - not the bus/car ride. AD Dave has even made the student busses free compared to previous year and students have a designated parking lot (w/ reduced parking fee) if they drive.
It's not the only factor, but it's a factor. I've posted this a lot but just being able to wake up and wander over would do a lot for student attendance. Agree that AD Dave is doing what he can.

Reaction Score
Being a fan Nazi never solved anything. Put a good product on the field and get us in a decent conference and the people will return, it's that simple.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT, has there been a game at the rent where the opponent brought fewer fans? I did not see one Tulsa fan and I sit near the visitor section. Not one.

And how many UConn fans go to SMU/Houston/Memphis/Tulane/UCF/USF?

That is one of the reasons why the AAC will never become a P6 despite the Commissioners propaganda. The fan base of the whole league is Division II mentality. I work with a staff member who has a BS degree from Ohio state and a MS degree from UConn. He recently attended an Ohio state/ Rutgers game in N.J. There were more Ohio State fans in the Stadium that Rutgers fans pregame, and basically no Rutgers fans after halftime. Basically smells small time. Does not believe BIG will ask UConn to join anytime soon.......believes its atmosphere is worse than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
MILFs?

I was in 136, and saw them (they were in 137 about 10 rows in front of us). Yeah, they were decent looking in that Texas/Oklahoma bleached blonde way.

Did anyone in the sections around 136 catch the two nearly naked hot co-ed aged girls who were holding hands as they went up and down the stairs? Hot lesbian action at The Rent, gotta love it.

Reaction Score
A lot of that has to do with the product, certainly, but I can't help feel like certain segments of our own fanbase normalized and made it cool to hate on the team. Having a fractured fanbase stinks.

Reaction Score
If the stadium was on campus the students would come up with other reasons not to attend. "Boring, terrible opponents, soccer games are more fun, etc., etc.
OK now you went too far. Soccer games are more fun. ???
LOL. Head bang

Reaction Score
We would sell out almost every B1G game. We are front runners. UConn has tasted major league success more times than most schools. Our fans don't care about bad football against no names. We have to win to fill seats. We need to be competing for the conference championship each and every year to fill the stadium. That's life in CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom