Crowd observations of Tulsa game... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Crowd observations of Tulsa game...

Reaction Score
\

Your generation sucks when it comes to staying for the game and I don't want to hear about how far it is from campus. The students used to be the strength and now they stink as "fans". Just stay at the campus if your not going to stay for the damn game.

Most of those kids arent even in my generation. Stop calling all young people that you hate "millennials"

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It took me half the first quarter to get in.

It’s not one thing - it’s the laundry list of things that add up.

Start coming in earlier then. There is no excuse for not being in the stadium by the kickoff.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Most of those kids arent even in my generation. Stop calling all young people that you hate "millennials"

I don't hate them at all, just wish they were more like those of ten years ago.

The Snowflake generation

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Start coming in earlier then. There is no excuse for not being in the stadium by the kickoff.

I agree. Fans shouldn’t have to wait in airport security to go to a football game.

Reaction Score

The Snowflake generation
The ones from 10 years ago are my generation....

Reaction Score

The Snowflake generation

10 years ago the team was good, now they've been bad for years. That's the difference.

My freshmen year in 06 we sucked and so did the student section. 07 we went undefeated at home and were ranked top 15 at some point, student section was great.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The ones from 10 years ago are my generation....

They were better than those who come nowadays that's for sure.

Just bothers me when they are full at half time, and then empty by the 4th quarter

Reaction Score

Just bothers me when they are full at half time, and then empty by the 4th quarter
at least they were full at the half. winning games and having hype around the team is the only thing that's going to get students out and engaged. no one wants to play Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, etc. They are nobodies compared to Syracuse or West Virginia even if their teams end up being good.

Reaction Score

Considering they are there at all after how bad they have been the last 6 years I am happy they show up. The games are off campus so it is an added "cost" to get there and stay there so the benefit must be that much greater to outweigh the cost. I forgot to mention this earlier, there was one thing that bothered me...

Inside the redzone, no one was doing the stick-in chant along with the band in the student section except maybe 1st row. I assume this is a relic of Diaco era never getting the offense into the redzone so someone needs to reteach the students how that works.

Reaction Score
actually 2 of the three still do; the column headings are;
team, year wait list started, # of names on wait list, anticipated wait time, psl's
View attachment 25631

I was amazed at the number of people on the concourse, the attendance would have looked much better if they would actually just go to their seats but like many said already they just aren't there for the game!

In some people's defense, it was hot on the sunny side. Many were seeking shade.

Reaction Score
Students will always leave early because of the stadium location. They will leave earlier because of the lack of geographical opponents. Fan engagement (especially students) will continue to be a huge task for athletics...Deal with it.

I saw a clip of the stadium for the Florida St. vs. Louisville game. Conference opponent and the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.....you could count empty rows on the second level. You could tell the production team tried tomavoid showing the stands above the lower level.

The in-home experience has become too good for the non die-hard fan.

Reaction Score
We got to the Gray lot Silver Lane entrance around 9 am. It took 25 minutes to get to the Gray lot (a trip that usually takes five minutes). Blue lot was fuller than it had been all season. Lots of students walking--I'm guessing from the Red lot--more than any game this season. Homecoming, I know. (The pedestrians were part of the traffic delay. Suggestion: route pedestrians so they don't cross every parking lot entrance. It was like Frogger yesterday.) Gray lot was packed, too. We almost missed the Husky Walk because of this delay. LAZ was worse than usual.

Where did all of those people go? Based on the traffic and tailgating, I expected a fuller stadium. The concourse was packed at halftime, but the seats seemed woefully empty. We sit in the sun behind the UCONN bench. Definitely a hat/visor day, but not as hot as other games this year.

Was in the concessions line for water (why aren't there water/beverage only lines or kiosks like there are for beer?) and missed the beginning of the third quarter. Could hear the stadium announcer, knew UConn was on the move. Got close enough to the front of the line to see the TV screen--and the Boston College/Virginia game. What the.....

I think living in this region is also a factor. Everyone knows the odds of getting another day with that type of weather on a Saturday this year are slim to none. Give them a chance to cook, eat, and drink outside and they aren't budging.

I was in LA last week. Everyday was a perfect weather day. They don't worry about missing out on a good weather Saturday. Same is true in the south. Here, it can be a factor.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip. This is the first year that I'm going to games with my son, so in years past I just didn't care. My old philosophy was to find an unoccupied urinal and don't touch anything... ;)
The bathrooms have been disgusting this year. I don’t remember them being this bad in the past with bigger crowds. I got a survey from the athletic department after Holy Cross and was not kind. Nothing changed.

Attachments

• D41148A9-A97B-46E8-8457-13E0282D9D54.jpeg
    D41148A9-A97B-46E8-8457-13E0282D9D54.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Reaction Score
There is one cure for generational disinterest and fan disengagement: winning.

We are starting to win and a few more will find a reason to show up next week for Mizzou. Win that and another few more will show up. Got to rebuild in steps.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The best is when they are so proud of not going into the game and act like you’re crazy for going. “Haha I’m not going in! They stink! Why would you go in!?”

Reaction Score

The Snowflake generation
Nope, sounds like you hate them. Please stop painting everyone of a certain age with the same brush.

Reaction Score
Also can't imagine there's many Tulsa alumni in this area, not like the old days with local rivals.
Given Tulsa's a small private school with only about 2,500 students, they just don't have too many alumni.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Busses start leaving when they are full, they don't all leave early.

However, I can get how a freshmen at their first game could think that they are going to get left behind when so many people are leaving early
Thanks. Like I said, it was from a coworker so I wasn’t sure if it was accurate or not. I thought it was rather stupid if true. Figured AD Dave would have fixed that issue. Maybe now he needs to make sure no buses leave until the game is over, full or not! :)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think there are a couple of factors in lay here:

1. Yes the student section has been an embarassment for years. Problem is the students have a culture of leaving early- I know the university was trying to address it but thus far has failed.
2. Win baby- fans will come back
3. A lot of time (6 years) have lapsed and the casual fan is lost. Now we need to replace them with new fans.
4. We do not have the historical UCONN football family like other schools. We are new to the game and the generational love for UCONN football is not developed yet.
4. the University good help here- I didn't think I could go to the game until Friday at 10:45 pm- I decided to get a ticket at the gate- Section 205 was $45 a ticket and chairbacks were $60 per. That is a problem.
5. TV at the same time takes people from the game. Most people would rather spend $0 and watch it on TV than pay for parking, tickets, food, beer, etc.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Nope, sounds like you hate them. Please stop painting everyone of a certain age with the same brush.

Not at all. I just miss when The Rent was the loudest place for opposing teams to go into every year. I understand that the product has been poor, but yesterday was a beautiful day and so many didn't even come into the stadium.

As a UConn fan for almost 40 years I would like to see fans stay till the end. Call me old fashion if you want, but this leaving while the game is in play stinks.

Reaction Score
Best way to address students leaving early: Buses not being allowed to leave until 30 minutes after game ends. When I was a student & UConn made the NIT in the 70's (Dee Rowe era), that was the stipulation about the games in the Garden, & that's a 2+ hour bus ride back to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Best way to address students leaving early: Buses not being allowed to leave until 30 minutes after game ends. When I was a student & UConn made the NIT in the 70's (Dee Rowe era), that was the stipulation about the games in the Garden, & that's a 2+ hour bus ride back to Storrs.
We've beaten this topic to death in past threads, but that'll never work. Students just won't show up at all if they know they're going to be held hostage upon entry.

Reaction Score
We've beaten this topic to death in past threads, but that'll never work. Students just won't show up at all if they know they're going to be held hostage upon entry.

Kids these days. I don't think this is necessarily true. If this policy had been in effect since the Big East days, then it would be taken for granted. The real issue is UConn's recent history (which HCRE is correcting) & current conference status. Until UConn starts winning consistently & game day again reaches must be there status, the issue will always be debated.

As to the mass Exodus before the game starts. That's a head scratcher. I first saw it at the East Carolina game as I was walking to get into the RENT. There was a convoy of buses with kids in band uniforms & cars following them out of East Gate. I assumed that it was Band Day & UConn had changed its routine to have the high school kids perform pregame instead of at half time. Thus after the performance, those kids & their parents left for home. Now I'm not so sure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Disagree. It will just become the new normal.

No one's said it in this thread yet so I will. The biggest issue is that stadium is a half hour away from campus. It can't be fixed, but it is silly to ignore it. Our student attendance would be dramatically better if the games were on campus and we'd be building the next generation of fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom