Crowd observations of Tulsa game... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Crowd observations of Tulsa game...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's ridiculous. Go into the game 30 minutes beforehand,It takes about 30 seconds.

Um no.

Sitting in an empty stadium for a half hour clearly isn’t what most people want to do.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT, has there been a game at the rent where the opponent brought fewer fans? I did not see one Tulsa fan and I sit near the visitor section. Not one.
They were in 137 down near the front. Actually, considering the geography I thought it was a decent showing by them. Also can't imagine there's many Tulsa alumni in this area, not like the old days with local rivals.

C

Chief00

The student section didn't used to be like that. Will never forget the USF game in '07 when we made that goal line stand at the end. They were going right into the student section and they were making it noisy as anything. And of course there was the Pitt game in '04 when Tyler Palko couldn't stop getting false starts in the shadow of their own endzone because the student section was almost deafening.

Now what the heck? They don't ever stay the whole game no matter what the score is. Do their buses leave early or something?

Many students go to party and leave when the parking lot partying suppose to curtail. The theory is that gets them in the Stadium, the reality is they go back to campus.

C

Chief00

I would love for more students and non-students to actually come in the stadium and/or stay the entire game, but the program has been a running joke for 6 years. To me, you, and everyone else here we know that Edsall is here to change that narrative, but how is Joe Fan supposed to know from looking at our record and seeing UConn give up 70 points at home?

When I was a student, the team went 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 the first three years and made a bowl every year playing regional opponents so yes people took UConn Football seriously and yes people showed up to games and stayed all 60 minutes.

As I said, I agree with everyone hear that the fanbase could do better, but it's unrealistic to think you can change a narrative overnight. Beating mediocre Temple and Tulsa teams doesn't do that. What does do that is changing your identity to consistently win games, make bowls, and be entertaining. I am choosing to be patient with it and not call out anyone since I don't think that accomplishes the intended goal.
I tend to agree. I myself missed my first home football game in a long time - but I had UConn Athletics in mind throughout the day.

Reaction Score
At Lincoln Field (Temple) they set off firework over the stadium a half hour before kick off.

After taking a moment to check if it was a terrorist attack, I realized this was a signal for the fans to start heading inside the stadium.

Though it was a good idea.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Slightly OT, has there been a game at the rent where the opponent brought fewer fans? I did not see one Tulsa fan and I sit near the visitor section. Not one.
Tulsa is one of the two smallest schools in FBS (Rice is the other one). I know SMU has alumni who were originally from the East Coast and moved back east when they graduated. That's generally not true with Tulsa.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would love for more students and non-students to actually come in the stadium and/or stay the entire game, but the program has been a running joke for 6 years. To me, you, and everyone else here we know that Edsall is here to change that narrative, but how is Joe Fan supposed to know from looking at our record and seeing UConn give up 70 points at home?

When I was a student, the team went 8-5, 8-5, 8-5 the first three years and made a bowl every year playing regional opponents so yes people took UConn Football seriously and yes people showed up to games and stayed all 60 minutes.

As I said, I agree with everyone hear that the fanbase could do better, but it's unrealistic to think you can change a narrative overnight. Beating mediocre Temple and Tulsa teams doesn't do that. What does do that is changing your identity to consistently win games, make bowls, and be entertaining. I am choosing to be patient with it and not call out anyone since I don't think that accomplishes the intended goal.
This is it exactly. We have a generation of kids that have grown up with bad UConn Football, simple as that. When we have a generation of kids that watches UConn punch above their weight (ideally, against teams we care about... one thing at a time)... guess what? Students will stay. Fans will stay. Not rocket science.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
On attendance ...

UConn is surrounded by three pro franchises with strong fanbases and decades-long waiting lists for season tickets. When seats are available, what do they go for? $200? 300? In 2015 I tried to buy Pats-Cowboys tickets at Jerry World and the seats in the top row of the stadium went for $290. That's $870 for me and my two kids. Plus $75 for parking, etc. With food, we're near $1,000.

Our marketing department needs to emphasize the value of attending a college football game. Run ads comparing the costs of a college game vs. an NFL game, side by side. I have to believe there are many families (like mine) willing to spend $150 for a college game instead of $1,000 for an NFL game. Here in Dallas, I've been going to SMU games since 1989 ($20 tickets, free parking). But I'll never go to another Cowboy game again. It's just not worth it.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I was disappointed in student section which was nearly empty by the 4th quarter.
I don’t know for a fact because this is just from a co-worker who has son who is a frosh at UConn. She asked if I went to the HC game and she said that her son and her family were at the game and her son was bummed that he had to leave the game early because the buses left somewhere between the third and fourth quarter. Not sure if that’s 100% accurate or if that was because it was a Thursday night game but if it is true, then that would explain why the student section gets so empty by the 4th quarter. I know a lot of kids drive to the games but a large number take the bus. If the bus leaves early the kids have no choice but to leave.

Someone corr ct me please if I this info is wrong. Like I said, it came from a co-worker so not sure how accurate it is.

Reaction Score
Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise/club in the world. You paid heavily because Tom Brady was coming to town. It's easier to see Brady for much cheaper at the new Meadowlands.

I go to D3 games; those games are usually free, except freaking Trinity College. Blew off Wesleyan @ Amherst (classic game; 7000+ attendance) to see Tulsa visit UConn. This game for UConn is a program changer. Back to relevance. We're behind only USF and UCF in our division this year. Too bad we lost to ECU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On attendance ...

UConn is surrounded by three pro franchises with strong fanbases and decades-long waiting lists for season tickets. When seats are available, what do they go for? $200? 300? In 2015 I tried to buy Pats-Cowboys tickets at Jerry World and the seats in the top row of the stadium went for $290. That's $870 for me and my two kids. Plus $75 for parking, etc. With food, we're near $1,000.

Our marketing department needs to emphasize the value of attending a college football game. Run ads comparing the costs of a college game vs. an NFL game, side by side. I have to believe there are many families (like mine) willing to spend $150 for a college game instead of $1,000 for an NFL game. Here in Dallas, I've been going to SMU games since 1989 ($20 tickets, free parking). But I'll never go to another Cowboy game again. It's just not worth it.

Please the days of waiting lists for the NFL franchises around here are long over.

UConn’s bad attendance has zero to do with the NFL.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don’t know for a fact because this is just from a co-worker who has son who is a frosh at UConn. She asked if I went to the HC game and she said that her son and her family were at the game and her son was bummed that he had to leave the game early because the buses left somewhere between the third and fourth quarter. Not sure if that’s 100% accurate or if that was because it was a Thursday night game but if it is true, then that would explain why the student section gets so empty by the 4th quarter. I know a lot of kids drive to the games but a large number take the bus. If the bus leaves early the kids have no choice but to leave.

Someone corr ct me please if I this info is wrong. Like I said, it came from a co-worker so not sure how accurate it is.
If that’s true that’s really really dumb.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be empty if more people came in instaed of doing what you do.

Yeah I just spend about 3k on tickets, parking and in the stadium a season.

What do I matter?

I don’t want to sit in a full stadium for a half hour before the game? Got a solution for that?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agreed, but it has ALWAYS sucked at The Rent! The worst experience entering a stadium for a FB game I've ever been through, and I've been to about 10 Big Time Stadiums over the years. When I went to ND for our game, they took my ticket and said: "Welcome to Notre Dame!" No full body cavity searches or anything else people deal with at The Rent.
Times are different and wherever a big crowd is expected in an open area - expect stricter security
When was the last time you were in a Big Time Stadium? Nearly all have metal detectors and many have pat downs
I appreciate the security - anything to make us all safer and some type of peace of mind
I wasn't offended by anything yesterday - smooth

Reaction Score
Um no.

Sitting in an empty stadium for a half hour clearly isn’t what most people want to do.

I don’t mind, I have a beer or two and watch the band or whatever else is happening. I like the lead up to kickoff. That time will be more exciting as we get better and anticipation of kickoff gets more intense.

It was a nice win yesterday but way too quiet. I went to the Cincy game last year and it was louder with a similar size crowd. If we can keep putting wins together, the fans will come back. Hell, they are already there just need them to get in their seats or go inside the stadium. The concourse was packed and the lots were full of people. It’s a shame but we are getting there.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think we got close to 30k next week with a two game win streak, early projections call for sunny and 65, and a big name opponent (most people don’t know they stink shhhh). Oddly enough I’ll be missing my second home game in 7 years. If we’re 4-4 with a top 15 USF team coming to town the week after I hope to god we get at least 32-33k.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think we got close to 30k next week with a two game win streak, early projections call for sunny and 65, and a big name opponent (most people don’t know they stink shhhh). Oddly enough I’ll be missing my second home game in 7 years. If we’re 4-4 with a top 15 USF team coming to town the week after I hope to god we get at least 32-33k.

I'm guessing you're right because Mizzou was probably the most popular selection for the 3-pack folks (I used to be one). When you couple that with the 2 game winning streak, I'm thinking a 4k bump in attendance...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah...the whole "I don't like something so I'm gonna blame Millennials..."

Fun Fact: Current college students aren't Millennials. They're Gen Z.
I don't like your post. It seems like typical Millennial thinking. They don't take responsibility for anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah. No.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Ah...the whole "I don't like something so I'm gonna blame Millennials..."

Fun Fact: Current college students aren't Millennials. They're Gen Z.
typical millennial

Reaction Score
Many students go to party and leave when the parking lot partying suppose to curtail. The theory is that gets them in the Stadium, the reality is they go back to campus.

Four jack wad students all decked out in uconn gear were walking out at the start of the game, yelling at people walking in to turn around and watch a real football game on tv. They were yelling that they were heading back to watch Bc v UVA.

Reaction Score
Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise/club in the world. You paid heavily because Tom Brady was coming to town. It's easier to see Brady for much cheaper at the new Meadowlands.

I go to D3 games; those games are usually free, except freaking Trinity College. Blew off Wesleyan @ Amherst (classic game; 7000+ attendance) to see Tulsa visit UConn. This game for UConn is a program changer. Back to relevance. We're behind only USF and UCF in our division this year. Too bad we lost to ECU.

No not true. ALL Cowboys games are like that ! I went to two games last year while in town on business and bought standing room tickets against the Bears the first game because I couldn't get in under $250 against the friggin Bears who suck so I went with standing room which were $100 I believe. Big mistake there as you have designated areas to stand and you are 20 rowS+ deep there so you end up watching the whole game on the Jumbotron. Spent the 2nd half looking for a seat and nothing was open with the exception of lower seats which you can't get NEAR without a ticket. The next game I paid $300 which was a steal as there was a father who was dumping a seat because his wife couldn't go. That seat came with free beers as he was throwing them on his corporate Amex with clients. I drank at least $100 in beer which he insisted on so it all worked out. Jerry's World is like no other stadium, it's,the hottest ticket in town regardless who's playing. Those people are FB insane down there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom