Croatia, pictures and game results (merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Croatia, pictures and game results (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1 question…….did any of UConn’s players do anything today they won’t be able to do once the season starts?
Good question. There was a lot of sloppy play and missed defensive assignments. I’m hoping they won’t be able to do that in November. :p

But seriously, KK really stood out for scoring passing and D. Will she be able to play like that against D1 competition? I have to say I suspect she will. In fact, if I’m right, that will mean she’s going to get a lot of pt. Qadence and Ashlynn had their moments, but they don’t look quite so D1 ready as KK. At almost any other school, she’d be starting, which may not be the best thing for her.

Reaction Score
At this point I would bet “dollars to donuts “ that Caroline will have low to no impact for this team this year. It is truly sad, but if she is at the point that getting hit in the head with a ball requires time off, that is not a good sign. One no look pass from Paige can knock her out of game as can errant elbows which are just part of the sport, not to mention potential targeting by unsportsmanlike opponents. Time will tell, but it is really hard to have realistic optimism.
I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment but at the same time I will not invest in any donuts just yet

Reaction Score
It's lo-res, but here's the unofficial boxscore, such as it is.
You can see that KK shot 78% -- she knows how to get her shot. Also, Ashlynn only shot 2/6, but she got 7 rebounds. She'll find the range soon enough, but the rebounds shows who she really is, a ball hawk.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good question. There was a lot of sloppy play and missed defensive assignments. I’m hoping they won’t be able to do that in November. :p

But seriously, KK really stood out for scoring passing and D. Will she be able to play like that against D1 competition? I have to say I suspect she will. In fact, if I’m right, that will mean she’s going to get a lot of pt. Qadence and Ashlynn had their moments, but they don’t look quite so D1 ready as KK. At almost any other school, she’d be starting, which may not be the best thing for her.
Thanks doggie. I haven’t seen the game yet.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230818_174101_Instagram.jpg

Reaction Score
It's a sad state of affairs that the team has hand-me-down crutches! But I'm very happy that Jana is there with her "family."
LOL…. What’s wrong with hand-me-down crutches? That’s what you do with crutches, you give them to the next person that needs them. You don’t throw them away.

Reaction Score
Thanks doggie. I haven’t seen the game yet.
The livestream I saw today was pretty rough. If it's the same one UConn+ uses -- and I didn't see any sign of other cameras in the gym -- you won't actually get to see more than about half the game. "Technical Difficulties" block the stream for long stretches.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry that this is a little late, but I just watched the replay of the Croatia game and would like to post some comments.

The refs were whistle-happy and called a bunch of touch fouls. The Huskies did not look happy. I'm glad this was not an important game in that regard.

Everyone did some good things, and a few players did some dumb or ineffective things. The frosh looked uncertain at times and typically wanted to pass the ball rather than shoot it. Ball movement was rather quick.

Azzi can really shoot the ball. I think she made 5 treys off of inbound passes and at least a couple in transition. She also made one coming off a nice screen to end a quarter. Azzi also missed a layup in traffic and a lefty reverse layup that she would like back. She normally makes 80% or so of those. It's really nice to have a player who can get you 8-10 points in a minute.

Aaliyah controlled the boards. She also swished a couple of jumpers from 18' or so. She had a couple of bad misses, but looked in good form.

Aubrey Griffin is the most athletic player I've seen since Gabby Williams. Any loose ball or sloppy pass became a steal and often a layup going the other way. Q is long and quick, but Aubrey's level of athleticism is higher. Recall that her father played in the NBA for 10+ years, brother was a lottery pick who plays above the rim, and mother was an All-American in track. Aubs is a matchup problem.

Caroline looked really good in limited minutes, swishing 2 corner threes and dishing out assists. Fingers crossed for her.

Ice has a nice face-up jumper and especially likes the straight-on three, as well as the corners.

Q has nice form on her jumper and a good fake and drive. She needs to be careful about traveling on her drive and on handoffs.

Ashlynn seems to be in the middle of a lot of things. I like her pull-up jumper.

KK makes things happen. Her energy, quickness, and speed will get her PT--and rest for Nika, who almost led the nation in minutes last year.

Free throw shooting was a mediocre 10-17. Azzi didn't miss any. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LOL…. What’s wrong with hand-me-down crutches? That’s what you do with crutches, you give them to the next person that needs them. You don’t throw them away.

I understand that, but one hopes it's several years before they are needed again, not months later.

Reaction Score
Bueckers & Ducharme didn't play at all, wait for an update thing

Paige, amari and yanna aren’t playing at all. Caroline probably won’t play the rest of the trip for precautionary reasons

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's lo-res, but here's the unofficial boxscore, such as it is.
You can see that KK shot 78% -- she knows how to get her shot. Also, Ashlynn only shot 2/6, but she got 7 rebounds. She'll find the range soon enough, but the rebounds shows who she really is, a ball hawk.

Nika went 4/5, 2/2 in 3 pt shots, I can't remember her ever shooting 80% / 100% in 3 pt shots. Hope she does that in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom