Creme: Are the No. 1 seeds already set? | The Boneyard

Creme: Are the No. 1 seeds already set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think those are the 4 we picked at the start of the season too. Baylor, Stanford, Duke and UCONN.

Added bennie, TN not mentioned until very near the end of the article. :)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Stanford goes to Tenn. on December 22....4:00. I assume that will be on some national channel.
Stanford's next game is UConn on the 29th....I think they have that 7 day break.

LadyVol has regained some of its footing after that disastrous loss to Tenn. Chattanooga. The Cardinal game would put them in the mix for a 2 seed with a win.
They also play at Baylor on D18. Guess Kim M didn't think much of the LadyVol request to delay that game [till Griner graduated].

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not much to argue with in his article. Still lots of hoops to play tho. Seriously there's a lot that can happen - did anyone really think Stanford would beat Baylor even without Simms? I sure didn't. Most of the top teams are a single injury of being totally mortal... except IMHO UCONN. We didn't play our best while missing 2 of our best at times (Hartley and KML) and still didn't have any of the top 4 teams we played (PSU, Purdue, aTm, and Maryland) get within 15 points.

I do have to say i think ND is much better than I thought. I figured it would be a nice 25-30 point smackdown when we played them. I'm not sure if it's the injuries that have thrown the team off, or if it's just the reality, but UCONN has not been as good as I expected against PSU or Maryland. Sure 15 point wins are great. But it surprised me we didn't win by a lot more.

My point is i don't think the gap between the top 4 and the rest is large at all, as evidenced by Baylor's 12 point win vs. ND. I also really thought UCONN would take Stanford out behind the wood shed and that only Duke would "lose close" by 10-15, with Baylor being the only team that could possibly beat us. More parity than i thought this year...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Because of who UConn plays, they are probably the team in most danger of not getting a Number One seed. I'm not saying UConn isn't one of the most talented teams and doesn't deserve a #1 seed, but its not out of realm of possibilities this team could end up with three or four losses. (Stanford, Baylor, Duke, ND)

Winning two out of the three game against Notre Dame and then winning at least one of the games against Baylor, Stanford and Duke will eventually determine if UConn gets a #1 seed.

If Kentucky or Tenn were to go undefeated in the SEC they could sneak in to get one of the Number One seeds. I'm thinking that Stanford, Baylor and Duke could go undefeated in their conference.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Because of who UConn plays, they are probably the team in most danger of not getting a Number One seed. I'm not saying UConn isn't one of the most talented teams and doesn't deserve a #1 seed, but its not out of realm of possibilities this team could end up with three or four losses. (Stanford, Baylor, Duke, ND)

Winning two out of the three game against Notre Dame and then winning at least one of the games against Baylor, Stanford and Duke will eventually determine if UConn gets a #1 seed.

If Kentucky or Tenn were to go undefeated in the SEC they could sneak in to get one of the Number One seeds. I'm thinking that Stanford, Baylor and Duke could go undefeated in their conference.

Really?

You think it's within the realm of possibilities that UConn could lose 3 or 4 of the games against Stanford, Baylor, Duke and ND?

Really?

And Tennessee is good enough to beat Stanford, Baylor, ND, Kentucky and Georgia?

Wow.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The notion that either Kentucky or Tennessee is going to have a chance in hell of a #1 seed is insane. Even if they went undefeated in the sec (unlikely), they both have ugly, ugly losses on their records already.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
After how UConn played against Maryland and PSU even though they were wins by double digits, they can lose games. I can see UConn losing to Stanford @ Stanford, Baylor just because of Griner and Sims, and beating Notre Dame 3 games in a row is tough. I added Duke because they are a talented team and even though its a home game, anything can happen. I'm aware Duke hasn't fared well against UConn lately, but I still remember the Dagger Three that led to Duke's win in Hartford. IMHO these four teams are better then Maryland and PSU so I don't feel comfortable today putting any of them in the automatic win category.

Winning one of the games against Baylor, Stanford or Duke should give UConn the #1 seed over the team they beat, provided they take care of business against Notre Dame. Hopefully they can win all three, but I'll be shocked if that happens.

I do think Stanford, Baylor and Duke to go undefeated in their respective conference.

No I don't think that Kentucky, Tenn or for that matter Georgia can run the tables in the SEC, but if one of them did, then they could end up with a resume deserving of a Number one Seed.

Do I expect UConn to get a #1 seed, YES I do, but of the teams that Creme mentioned UConn has the toughest road to get it.

Really?

You think it's within the realm of possibilities that UConn could lose 3 or 4 of the games against Stanford, Baylor, Duke and ND?

Really?

And Tennessee is good enough to beat Stanford, Baylor, ND, Kentucky and Georgia?

Wow.

Reaction Score
They're set. Nobody good can get at Stanford and Duke but us. Sims is back for Baylor. ND needs to take 2 of 3 from us, including a probable BE tournament match-up. We'll have too much depth for them by then.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
After how UConn played against Maryland and PSU even though they were wins by double digits, they can lose games. I can see UConn losing to Stanford @ Stanford, Baylor just because of Griner and Sims, and beating Notre Dame 3 games in a row is tough. I added Duke because they are a talented team and even though its a home game, anything can happen. I'm aware Duke hasn't fared well against UConn lately, but I still remember the Dagger Three that led to Duke's win in Hartford. IMHO these four teams are better then Maryland and PSU so I don't feel comfortable today putting any of them in the automatic win category.

Winning one of the games against Baylor, Stanford or Duke should give UConn the #1 seed over the team they beat, provided they take care of business against Notre Dame. Hopefully they can win all three, but I'll be shocked if that happens.

I do think Stanford, Baylor and Duke to go undefeated in their respective conference.

No I don't think that Kentucky, Tenn or for that matter Georgia can run the tables in the SEC, but if one of them did, then they could end up with a resume deserving of a Number one Seed.

Do I expect UConn to get a #1 seed, YES I do, but of the teams that Creme mentioned UConn has the toughest road to get it.

Your new found (ok, now so new found) negative feeling on UConn based on those two games is nuts.

The Maryland game, UConn's best player was out the second half. You don't think that "small" 15 point win would have been more to your expectations?

And I'm sorry, but that was the worst officiated game I've ever seen in person. PSU posts were getting away with murder. UConn was off that night. AND STILL WON BY 15. Did you see how good PSU was against GTown in the following game?

They have beaten 2 ranked teams by 31 and 34 points and 2 top ten teams by 15. There is nothing here that says that UConn is any more likely to lose to ND, Baylor, Stanford and Duke than they were when the season started.

Reaction Score
Still too early for anything to be "locked in".

Stanford has possible conference challenges from Cal & UCLA. Not sure the ACC has many undefeated champs.

So, losses can and very well may happen. If a team rolls in the SEC or the Big10, it could grab a #1.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The notion that either Kentucky or Tennessee is going to have a chance in hell of a #1 seed is insane. Even if they went undefeated in the sec (unlikely), they both have ugly, ugly losses on their records already.

For KY to be a 1 seed, they would have only 1 loss (Baylor) with quality wins over Louisville, TN, Georgia, Tex A&M (twice), and South Carolina (twice). This is no different than last year when Stanford was a 1 seed with a loss to UConn and their only quality win over TN. The Pac 10 had no teams worthy of justifying a 1 seed. The other non-conference wins were against unranked teams.

TN has the #1 strength of schedule and the only way to get through the remainder of the season and possibly get a 1 seed, they could lose to Baylor, but still need wins over Stanford, ND, KY, Georgia, Tex A&M, and South Carolina. I highly doubt that would happen, but if it did, they would most certainly deserve it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First TN plays a very easy schedule. Baylor and Stanford are tuff and they will lose both games. UK is going no where. The SEC is very weak. I dont see UConn losing their one seed based on a couple of losses and I dont think they lose a game. The only game and Ive said it before that concerns me is the Stanford game. If UConn gets called with ticky tack fouls we could struggle but it will take alot for us to lose that game. Againest Baylor we have too many shooters. ND they dont have the height. The biggest difference between UConn and Baylor is we have Stef and Stewie the S&S sisters along with Kiah and thats better height then just having Griner underneath. If the refs choose to let the players bang UConn then UConn needs to knock somebody on their butt much like Stef has been thrown to the floor and no call. Something to think about. What if Stef gets thrown to the floor and Bria gets thrown to the floor and next trip down Diggins or Simms or Griner get thrown to the floor??? This is my point. All things being equal we dont lose a game this season.

Reaction Score
BTW: Stanford goes to Tenn. on December 22....4:00. I assume that will be on some national channel.
Stanford's next game is UConn on the 29th....I think they have that 7 day break.

LadyVol has regained some of its footing after that disastrous loss to Tenn. Chattanooga. The Cardinal game would put them in the mix for a 2 seed with a win.
They also play at Baylor on D18. Guess Kim M didn't think much of the LadyVol request to delay that game [till Griner graduated].

Per SEC and TN, the game is on SportsSouth (not ESPN or Fox). On Direct TV w/ sports package, it's 646. I have no idea the channel for other cable or satellite providers.

We play at TN 22nd, then the players will go home for the holidays, then probably return to Stanford on the 26th, so not really a week to prep.

TN will be a close game as most of our games are, except the last few years with Nneka took it to 'em/ A beautiful thing to watch.

Reaction Score

We'll lose 1-3 games in conference and in conf. tourney to Cal and UCLA.

Reaction Score

If things go right, I think Chattanooga has a real shot at a number 1 seed.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For KY to be a 1 seed, they would have only 1 loss (Baylor) with quality wins over Louisville, TN, Georgia, Tex A&M (twice), and South Carolina (twice). This is no different than last year when Stanford was a 1 seed with a loss to UConn and their only quality win over TN. The Pac 10 had no teams worthy of justifying a 1 seed. The other non-conference wins were against unranked teams.

TN has the #1 strength of schedule and the only way to get through the remainder of the season and possibly get a 1 seed, they could lose to Baylor, but still need wins over Stanford, ND, KY, Georgia, Tex A&M, and South Carolina. I highly doubt that would happen, but if it did, they would most certainly deserve it.

Kentucky lost by 34 to Baylor. Stanford lost by 10 to UConn last year. Big difference. But running the table is more impressive in the SEC this year than the PAC10 last year.

Tennessee does NOT have the #1 SOS. Sagarin has them at 11. RealtimeRPI has them at 18. And losing to Chatanooga has a huge impact. But I will say that if they do beat Baylor, Stanford, Texas, ND and Rutgers OOC and run the table in the SEC, you can say they could get a #1.

But in order for either of these teams to get a #1 seed, they would have to have Duke, UConn, Baylor or Stanford to have a few losses.

Reaction Score
We'll lose 1-3 games in conference and in conf. tourney to Cal and UCLA.

I think you are being overly cautious! I'm not convinced Cal or UCLA can compete with Stanford.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Kentucky lost by 34 to Baylor. Stanford lost by 10 to UConn last year. Big difference. But running the table is more impressive in the SEC this year than the PAC10 last year.

Tennessee does NOT have the #1 SOS. Sagarin has them at 11. RealtimeRPI has them at 18. And losing to Chatanooga has a huge impact. But I will say that if they do beat Baylor, Stanford, Texas, ND and Rutgers OOC and run the table in the SEC, you can say they could get a #1.

But in order for either of these teams to get a #1 seed, they would have to have Duke, UConn, Baylor or Stanford to have a few losses.

RealtimeRPI shows a power ranking that had TN at #1 SOS, but that could be old data. They play several top teams. If they drop only one more game between Baylor, Stanford, and ND, and win out, there is legitimate reason for them to get a #1 seed. Yes, the Chatt loss is big, but if Chatt doesn't drop another game, that loss isn't big at all. They are currently sitting at #10 in RPI (win over TN helps them alot). At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I am of the opinion that there's little difference between being a 1 seed or a 2 seed. The biggest difference becomes which bracket you get placed in. Maybe the committee will decide that twice in the last 3 years is plenty enough times to be in Baylor's region.

Edited to say, I highly doubt they go the rest of the season with only one loss. There will be losses. The toughest SEC opponents are road games this year, along with Baylor on the road.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Per SEC and TN, the game is on SportsSouth (not ESPN or Fox). On Direct TV w/ sports package, it's 646. I have no idea the channel for other cable or satellite providers.

We play at TN 22nd, then the players will go home for the holidays, then probably return to Stanford on the 26th, so not really a week to prep.

TN will be a close game as most of our games are, except the last few years with Nneka took it to 'em/ A beautiful thing to watch.

My, my, my, how soon we forget. The last few years is a bit of a stretch. 2009 - TN wins by 10, 2010 - Stanford wins by 15, 2011 - TN by 10, 2012 - Stanford by 17. Nneka took it to 'em only 1 year. It was an amazing performance, one that she repeated throughout the season last year. The trend has been that the home team wins, so it will be interesting to see if that still holds true.

Somehow, I get past that horrible feeling from the beat down last year by reflecting back on the beat down that was dished out when it mattered most on April 8, 2008.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is too early to be sure, but in WCBB, it is much clearer than on the men's side. It is also easier to pick the 1 seeds than the actual Final Four teams. That said, I think the 4 teams noted are the obvious choices. Baylor and UConn look like locks to me.

Of course, injuries and upsets happen. But some other team would need to step up and grab the 1 seed. I don't see any candidates for that. With Maryland's injuries, Duke has a clear path to the ACC. Though Cal and UCLA are better, I don't expect Stanford to lose more than 1 conference game. Baylor has too much talent and too much Griner and Sims. UConn has a very tough schedule, but we overcome ND this year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
RealtimeRPI shows a power ranking that had TN at #1 SOS, but that could be old data. They play several top teams. If they drop only one more game between Baylor, Stanford, and ND, and win out, there is legitimate reason for them to get a #1 seed. Yes, the Chatt loss is big, but if Chatt doesn't drop another game, that loss isn't big at all. They are currently sitting at #10 in RPI (win over TN helps them alot). At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I am of the opinion that there's little difference between being a 1 seed or a 2 seed. The biggest difference becomes which bracket you get placed in. Maybe the committee will decide that twice in the last 3 years is plenty enough times to be in Baylor's region.

Edited to say, I highly doubt they go the rest of the season with only one loss. There will be losses. The toughest SEC opponents are road games this year, along with Baylor on the road.
Could be old data?

It's more likely that they lose to Baylor, Stanford and ND along with the road games against USC, Vandy and Kentucky, and a home game (possibly Georgia).

They will be lucky to get a three seed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't agree the SEC is weak. They have been off for some time, and the existing teams didn't do much, other than KY, but they added TAMU, while the Big East lost WVU. so the two conferences are closer again.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
TN has the #1 strength of schedule

Uh, no.

If you are looking at RealtimeRPI power rating, take a look at the records. Every one of them is 0-0. Obviously not current data. The RPI has their SOS at #18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom