Creme: Are the No. 1 seeds already set? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creme: Are the No. 1 seeds already set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The notion that either Kentucky or Tennessee is going to have a chance in hell of a #1 seed is insane. Even if they went undefeated in the sec (unlikely), they both have ugly, ugly losses on their records already.

Just for argument's sake, let's say KY or Tenn did pick up a 1 seed, and UConn fell to a 2. Can't you hear the shrieks of outrage when the committee puts the SEC champ in Bridgeport, with UConn as the 2? Remember Rene Portland when the NCAA sent 'em to Hartford? (of course, Rene was quite practiced at being indignant).

Not to mention, how deeply P'O'd (and motivated) the Huskies would be.

Ain't gonna happen, but...

Reaction Score
My, my, my, how soon we forget. The last few years is a bit of a stretch. 2009 - TN wins by 10, 2010 - Stanford wins by 15, 2011 - TN by 10, 2012 - Stanford by 17. Nneka took it to 'em only 1 year. It was an amazing performance, one that she repeated throughout the season last year. The trend has been that the home team wins, so it will be interesting to see if that still holds true.

Somehow, I get past that horrible feeling from the beat down last year by reflecting back on the beat down that was dished out when it mattered most on April 8, 2008.

Just the box scores of the 4 times Nneka played TN, she owned Glory each time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't agree the SEC is weak. They have been off for some time, and the existing teams didn't do much, other than KY, but they added TAMU, while the Big East lost WVU. so the two conferences are closer again.

The SEC might not have a #1 seed in the bunch, but I would definitely not say that they are weak. Actually its between the SEC and the Big East for the best conference I think. The ACC is down... The Pac 12 is never any good.... The Big 10 is the Big 10... The Big 12 has Baylor... injured saddled WVU, OU, and an overrated Texas squad.

Reaction Score
The SEC might not have a #1 seed in the bunch, but I would definitely not say that they are weak. Actually its between the SEC and the Big East for the best conference I think. The ACC is down... The Pac 12 is never any good.... The Big 10 is the Big 10... The Big 12 has Baylor... injured saddled WVU, OU, and an overrated Texas squad.

Sagarin has the B12 strongest by a mile. Combined, the teams are 65-11 this year. (Wow.)
  1. B12 -- 84.5
  2. SEC -- 81.8
  3. B10 -- 81.3
  4. ACC -- 81.0
  5. BgE -- 80.3
  6. Pac -- 78.3

Reaction Score
Sagarin has the B12 strongest by a mile. Combined, the teams are 65-11 this year. (Wow.)
  1. B12 -- 84.5
  2. SEC -- 81.8
  3. B10 -- 81.3
  4. ACC -- 81.0
  5. BgE -- 80.3
  6. Pac -- 78.3

Massey does too
  1. B12 -- 2.14
  2. SEC -- 1.97
  3. BgE -- 1.96
  4. ACC -- 1.94
  5. B10 -- 1.93
  6. Pac -- 1.89

Reaction Score
Real Time RPI

1. B12 -- .613
  2. SEC -- .606
  3. ACC -- .599
  4. B10 -- .597
  5. BgE -- .593
  6. Pac -- .580

Reaction Score
Averaged across the 3 (& rescaled)
  1. B12 -- 100
  2. SEC -- 95.9
  3. ACC -- 94.7
  4. B10 -- 94.6
  5. BgE -- 94.5
  6. Pac -- 91.9
B12 clearly strongest; PAC clearly weakest. The rest pretty close with the SEC having a slight lead.

Reaction Score
I think the conference overall rankings might have little to do with the question of which of the top seeds have the greatest chance of surviving an undefeated conference season. The real question should be how many teams in each of their conference's have a legitimate shot at beating the front runners. That should not even involve the majority of the teams in each conference rather only the upper echelon ones. The over all conference strength is irrelevant in this issue.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Just the box scores of the 4 times Nneka played TN, she owned /Glory each time.
-

Glory and Nneka went head to head in only one game. In all of the other contests, Glory's defensive assignment was on the perimeter. It wasn't until last year that Glory had the assignment in the paint. Glory and Shekinna were both responsible for paint defense and as a tandem were physically too small to defend in the paint against any decent sized and skilled post player. With Baugh on bad knees, no Kelley Cain, and no Brewer, post play was not a strength of the team.

I know you like to have this whole Glory/Nneka debate, but the reality is that they are 2 very different players. There are things that they each do better than the other and I like them both. At 6'2" and a slender frame, Glory did quite well and I have no complaints. Both of their games are translating quite well to the WNBA with Glory averaging 12 pts / 7 boards / 2 steals and Nneka averaging 14 pts/7 boards / 1 steal. Nneka has a wider/stronger frame and is a better offensive player, so I'm not surprised that she has a higher scoring average. Glory being leaner and quicker laterally is a better defensive player and I'm not surprised that she has more steals.

08/09 - Nneka had 7 pts. and 12 boards and Glory had 7 pts and 5 boards. I would never call 7 pts. taking it to anyone. For the record, Glory played defense on the perimeter that game, which is also why her rebounds were low. She didn't defend in the paint. (TN gets the win)

09/10 - Nneka had 14 pts. / 11 boards and Glory had 13 pts. / 7 boards. (not a ton of difference there, but still, Glory defended on the perimeter) (Stanford gets the win)

10/11 - Glory had a horrible game and Nneka had a great game, but again, she did not play head to head against Glory, because Glory was again utilized more on the perimeter on defense and Kelly Cain and Vicki Baugh had that assignment (TN gets the win)

11/12 - Nneka schooled TN and everyone else she faced, but Glory had a respectable 18 pts. and 6 boards (Stanford gets the win)

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Could be old data?

It's more likely that they lose to Baylor, Stanford and ND along with the road games against USC, Vandy and Kentucky, and a home game (possibly Georgia).

They will be lucky to get a three seed.

I am betting you will be wrong (no surprise there)

Reaction Score
-

Glory and Nneka went head to head in only one game. In all of the other contests, Glory's defensive assignment was on the perimeter. It wasn't until last year that Glory had the assignment in the paint. Glory and Shekinna were both responsible for paint defense and as a tandem were physically too small to defend in the paint against any decent sized and skilled post player. With Baugh on bad knees, no Kelley Cain, and no Brewer, post play was not a strength of the team.

I know you like to have this whole Glory/Nneka debate, but the reality is that they are 2 very different players. There are things that they each do better than the other and I like them both. At 6'2" and a slender frame, Glory did quite well and I have no complaints. Both of their games are translating quite well to the WNBA with Glory averaging 12 pts / 7 boards / 2 steals and Nneka averaging 14 pts/7 boards / 1 steal. Nneka has a wider/stronger frame and is a better offensive player, so I'm not surprised that she has a higher scoring average. Glory being leaner and quicker laterally is a better defensive player and I'm not surprised that she has more steals.

08/09 - Nneka had 7 pts. and 12 boards and Glory had 7 pts and 5 boards. I would never call 7 pts. taking it to anyone. For the record, Glory played defense on the perimeter that game, which is also why her rebounds were low. She didn't defend in the paint. (TN gets the win)

09/10 - Nneka had 14 pts. / 11 boards and Glory had 13 pts. / 7 boards. (not a ton of difference there, but still, Glory defended on the perimeter) (Stanford gets the win)

10/11 - Glory had a horrible game and Nneka had a great game, but again, she did not play head to head against Glory, because Glory was again utilized more on the perimeter on defense and Kelly Cain and Vicki Baugh had that assignment (TN gets the win)

11/12 - Nneka schooled TN and everyone else she faced, but Glory had a respectable 18 pts. and 6 boards (Stanford gets the win)

gee, it's not the what the folks on the Summitt thought of Glory's game, a post player who could sky. It's a wonder how Nneka outboarded Glory every game. Glory guarded her one on one much of the game at Maples last year and Nneka got 42 pts and 17 boards. You don't mention that Pat showed game tape of Nneka to Glory (soph year) to show her that Nneka was a complete bball player, not just a great athlete, and she improved her game every year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that there's little difference between being a 1 seed or a 2 seed.
True. Either way you most likely have to beat the same team to reach the Final Four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom