Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
And the senior's coach did his masterful best to have his player's make the most of how the fouls were and were not called. By the time UConn made adjustments and calls were more equivalent, the hole was dug too deep by Creighton's confident shooters.

After Clingan's second foul, UConn readied for the shift to small ball. And the, there were 4 consecutive body-to-body fouls -- adding one each to the foul total for Diarra, Johnson, Castle, and Spencer, as UConn's team fouls quickly moved from 3 to 7 -- while Creighton's stayed at 4. In each case, clear collision contact did occurr, resulting primarily from a UConn player's momentum. I'll venture to say that there was a hand-assist from the UConn player's rear and/or a position-shift toward the UConn player from the bumped-into, foul-drawing Creighton player on each of them. Call it "Husky sandwich." I was concerned that Trey Alexander might injure his neck by the time of his third or fourth head snap. Ashworth was reliable with his snapping, though less extreme except once. Scheierman looked frustrated that he couldn't get such calls most of the game.

I highly credit McDermott for recognizing the opportunity and getting his players to exploit it. For those who have trumpeted Pitino's coaching prowess elsewhere prior to and even during this season until most recently, McDermott faithfully followed Slick Rick's huddle advice that Spencer needed to be stuck to like glue everywhere on the court. It worked. Props to Ashworth's energy level in execution, unlike the "laterally" deficient St Johns players that Pitino trashed by name. Up until a year ago, McDermott totally owned Danny; last night was a reversion.

I watched the Creighton-SDSU Elite 8 game at the YUM! Center last March. As much as I wanted multiple Big East teams in the Final 4 to boost the conference reputation, I was most uneasy with the prospect of playing Creighton. Even during the worst moments of last night, I did not have the same fear. But that's meaningless for the next 4+ games.

The possibility that winning the BE Tournament would require 3 consecutive games with the test of beating a conference opponent 3 times in one season was quite real going into last night. Now, fwiw, it's much less so.

One
Game
At
A
Time

That's what passes for "a heated run-in with a fan" these days? And picked up, mistype and all because there was no better video or source, by SI.com? Oh how major media have fallen.

All those cell phone videos of the court-storming, and this guy got the scoop that went to @CreighTakes to SI.

Where's the abstract, prof? Don't you know none of us read anything but the abstract and findings any more? ;)

(This is where my wife would start talking about weak methodology and bad science, I fall asleep mid-rant, get relegated to the couch...it's a whole thing)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Where's the abstract, prof? Don't you know none of us read anything but the abstract and findings any more? ;)

(This is where my wife would start talking about weak methodology and bad science, I fall asleep mid-rant, get relegated to the couch...it's a whole thing)
McDermott's a mature coach who again schooled Hurley. He also got Ashworth to follow Pitino's advice as to Cam, and it help a lot.

His players worked their bodies to fit the whistle, got the calls that disrupted UConn's lineups, drew increasing confidence from their shooting success, and won the game for doing so.

I think UConn will adjust from this.

Bonus content:

UConn is now 4-1 at full strength, and now can review stress points that need work.

My high ambition for this season has been 5 total losses or fewer. Again noted as dependent on player health, it remains doable.

Reaction Score
Question about the refs. I know that’s not why we lost, but…..

How is Kalk going to block Karaban not a foul? Kalk is airborn and he bodies Karaban, not foul…yet DC get called for a foul because a guy trips running past him. Dc seems to get called for every ticky tak touch, but Kalk mugged AK IMO. Am I missing something?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Going to have to figure out if we go small if Clingan gets his second foul early or go with Johnson? He’s been a liability on both ends as of late.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Every team is going to attack Clingan to force the refs to make a call, whether they have to flop to get the call or not.

It’s not just with Clingan, teams do the same thing when they’re pressuring the guards. The amount of hand checking and grabbing is to see what the refs are going to call, and they’re not calling anything.

Reaction Score
Castle has regressed the last 2 games. He is still hessitant on offense and deffering too much. He needs to take over like he did in the Providence game. Spencer and Karaban weren't scoring so he had to steup up. He is freshman so this type of regression is normal but sucks when it is in these big games.
One thing he's done a lot the past few games is attempt to get to the rim only to have second thoughts at the last second. It's led to a lot of would-be dunk attempts where he lays off at the very end and just sort of softly hits the bottom of the backboard, missing the hoop altogether. It doesn't even look like he's trying to draw a foul - more just that he's changing his mind, but after it's too late.

Reaction Score
Hurley is not stupid that he would threaten a fan.Engaging in MUS - Making up schiest is a despicable act. Saying that such humanoids should be ashamed is not effective since such humanoid# are devoid of shave no matter how low they go.
Hurley loves this stuff. Plays into his bad boy image. He is a bit of a jerk. But then so were a lot of good coaches. Bob Knight comes immediately to mind. Calipari is another. Pitino. Different ways but equally jerky (for lack of a term that won’t be edited out). . Some of it might be an act to take pressure off his team. I don’t love getting into it with opposing fans regardless. He ought to be above that.

Reaction Score
Going to have to figure out if we go small if Clingan gets his second foul early or go with Johnson? He’s been a liability on both ends as of late.
Probably a factor of how well the opposition is able to prevent us from taking 3s. Crazy as it sounds, I'd like to see Roumoglou get a few minutes at the 5 in some situation where we're comfortably ahead late, just to see what happens. He's 6'8", so we'd not be giving up any height vs Karaban.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Probably a factor of how well the opposition is able to prevent us from taking 3s. Crazy as it sounds, I'd like to see Roumoglou get a few minutes at the 5 in some situation where we're comfortably ahead late, just to see what happens. He's 6'8", so we'd not be giving up any height vs Karaban.
Comes down to weight more so than height.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure UConn made their initial first half run against Marquette with Samson in Saturday, he was fine in that game. My question is are we capable of playing the drop defense with Samson in the game instead of the high hedge because Creighton tore up all the scrambling. If the high hedge isn't working with Samson in the game and DC has foul trouble then hopefully a drop is an option.

Reaction Score
Roumoglou is about 200 pounds soaking wet, I don't think he's ever going to see time at the 4 let alone the 5. He's a guard and a pretty good one at that

Reaction Score
Roumoglou is about 200 pounds soaking wet, I don't think he's ever going to see time at the 4 let alone the 5. He's a guard and a pretty good one at that
According to the roster, he's only 5 lbs lighter than Karaban, weighing in at 215. The reason why I like him potentially as a small ball 5 is how active he is defensively. He has surprising lateral quickness and has shown good rebounding instincts in the scant minutes he's had.

I'm not saying it would be a certain success, but I wouldn't mind seeing it happen for a short spell in a runaway.

Reaction Score
Give Creighton the credit. I don't really see many or even any posters freaking out.

With Ashworth playing like this and it being at their home (one of the best crowds in the country) if they spread you out and make shots like that with Kalk holding down the middle on defense they become extremely hard to beat.

Clingan picked up the 2 quick ones and we responded really poorly to Creighton's great play and it snowballed. We should've played better but Creighton had so much to do with it.
I penciled that in as a loss at the beginning of conference play. I thought we’d end up 16-4 with a shot at 17-3. And 17-3 is now looking like a real possibility

Reaction Score
Every team is going to attack Clingan to force the refs to make a call, whether they have to flop to get the call or not.

It’s not just with Clingan, teams do the same thing when they’re pressuring the guards. The amount of hand checking and grabbing is to see what the refs are going to call, and they’re not calling anything.
I don’t see this working in the tourney. The physicality of the BE makes games weird sometimes. Newton and Spencer will have so much more freedom of movement come tournament time

Reaction Score
How about Kalkbrenner tripping over himself, gets the foul called, Creighton then his a three. I think we had the lead down to 12 or so.

Kalk and Ashworth 2nd half late during our little run, within a few minutes of each other tripped over air, both called on closest Husky.

Hey we got our ass kicked but the refs allowed the plan which McDermott when into the game with. Maybe he heard the word “violence” in a recent interview. They weren’t violent but were very savvy in holding and grabbing basically every possession. If refereed correctly Miller wouldn’t have been able to play 15 minutes.

Is what it is. Next

Reaction Score
Agree with the fall on the court by Creighton and get a foul called on UConn. Just ridiculous. Hurley has to have a plan to counter Ashworth if we play Creighton again. He was on the verge of being a PIA in Gampel and last night was nuts as he shut down Cam and got Clingan in foul trouble. I would put Ball on him to back up Diarra. Ball got one minute. Dan froze when things went off the rails. Shame shame shame!

Reaction Score
Creighton gave Castle the treatment Ajax was getting last January. Credit Coach Mac for coming up with the plan. Kalk in the paint shut everything else down.
Kalk had several nice blocks, but we still scored 40 points in the paint. Thats not shut everything else down numbers.

Reaction Score
Kalk had several nice blocks, but we still scored 40 points in the paint. Thats not shut everything else down numbers.
True but they denied us open perimeter looks and took their chances with us inside and Newton was the only one that created his own shot. We did not move the ball on the perimeter like we normally do and that was their plan IMO. Do not let us get shots off screens.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I hate to call out a single player after a game like that but Johnson is unplayable. Can’t rebound and is terrible on defense and dropped passes left and right. Give those minutes to Stewart who has been playing very well and go small. I get this is tough against a guy like Kalkbrenner and you don’t want to expose Karaban to foul trouble but Samson is just brutal.

Reaction Score
I hate to call out a single player after a game like that but Johnson is unplayable. Can’t rebound and is terrible on defense and dropped passes left and right. Give those minutes to Stewart who has been playing very well and go small. I get this is tough against a guy like Kalkbrenner and you don’t want to expose Karaban to foul trouble but Samson is just brutal.

Samson played well against Marquette. If you’re making lineup decisions based on last night then you’re benching Karaban and Spencer because they were both awful.

“Unplayable.” Some of you are such drama queens.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Samson played well against Marquette. If you’re making lineup decisions based on last night then you’re benching Karaban and Spencer because they were both awful.

Marquette doesn’t have a center. Wasn’t Samson supposed to be a stretch big that could shoot? Teams sag so far off him they may as well be in stands behind the basket. Donovan makes smart plays from the top of the key, he doesn’t even face the basket

Reaction Score

Unplayable is harsh and definitely not true, especially when the alternative is Singare. But when a 6 point 1 rebound 2 steal effort is the highlight and playing well I think that's pretty telling also

caw

Reaction Score
Creighton played well and shot the lights out. Kudos to them.

Clingan's foul trouble killed UConn who got way too worried about Kalkbrenner. Honestly, it's not a horrible game plan UConn had defensively but Creighton's supplemental players were on a ripper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom