Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Bit of a dishonest tweet. It looks like he is saying "In MSG I'll knock you out" as in out of the BET

Won't stop people from running with this
I've seen this on five different sites now, a couple of the headlines are that Hurley threatens to knock out Creighton fan.

Reaction Score
Yes, Newton kept them in the game, but he was also part of the problem: he was 10-21 and 2-8 from 3 and had 2 TOs. We only played 7 players most of the game. Stewart played only 6 mins and Solo 1 min at the end of the game. Johnson played 12 mins, had 0 pts, 0 Rebounds, 1 Assist and 4 fouls....a very unsatisfactory effort. Cam and AK combined for 13 pts on 15 shots. And DC sat for most of the 1st half because of committing 2 fouls in the 1sf 2 minutes of the game. Worst game of the season. The fun continues on Sat night... Hope that they crush 'Nova.
LOL @ 48% from the field and only 2 TOs in 36 minutes when you're forced to carrying the offensive load on your back being "part of the problem". I know you're committed to a gimmick but this is laughable.

Reaction Score
Agree, both bigs were dominant defensively when in. Creighton won the game at the 3pt line, not the paint.
We outscored them 40-18 in the paint. Sure, Kalk had a couple blocks, but not sure I'd say he was that much more dominant than DC.

Reaction Score
You're not always gonna get a clean look and there weren't many tonight, would have liked to see Cam try to dribble more and get to his spot in the midrange. Even Alex has show the ability to ball fake and get into the paint and shoot the floater off of 2 feet. When the looks are being taken away you gotta put the ball on the floor, Newton and Castle were the only ones willing to.

He did that in the 2nd half and it was effective. Unfortunately, we dug a huge hole, fought back, then ran out of gas. No big deal. Staff will adjust.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I believe that this post is much worse than anything you are criticizing.

You know that what you've written is untruthful, and yet you put it out into the universe and then pile it higher and higher. There is nothing helpful about it. It is the equivalent of praying for what you don't want by invoking what you disbelieve. At best, it's meaningless; at worst, it's damaging. Your best rejoinder would be to claim that it's harmless. I say that it is not.
I believe that this post is much worse than anything you are criticizing.

You know that what you've written is untruthful, and yet you put it out into the universe and then pile it higher and higher. There is nothing helpful about it. It is the equivalent of praying for what you don't want by invoking what you disbelieve. At best, it's meaningless; at worst, it's damaging. Your best rejoinder would be to claim that it's harmless. I say that it is not.
Thank you for validating the reason for the post.

And just to make sure I understand.

Your premise is that the post about losing last night was because fans were opining in an opinion forum that there was a reason to be optimistic about a three peat? So the OP was correct in their assertion?

Or are you saying my response contributes to spreading a narrative that is absurd and my acknowledging the post sarcastically to try and stop that thinking is making it worse.

Or just in general my post was harmful to the overall collective of like minded fans exhibiting frustration at a loss that really other than the significant difference in the final score was not the most surprising outcome given the landscape of men’s college basketball and what has happened to good teams on the road.

Perhaps the answer is all of the above.

Just curious.

Reaction Score
Yup that is exactly why we lost. And since we lost now we have no chance at doing anything like winning the BE regular season championship, winning the Big East tourney and certainly we have no chance to win the national championship, let’s call it a season before someone posts something that is so horrible it keeps us from winning another game ever. I have heard the words and terms absurd, nonsense, FOS and conspiracy this week. Yup we lost because of a post. I am certain that is exactly what Clingan was thinking when he picked up his second foul. Someone on the BY said we are going to three peat.
Call it an omen!

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The threes are what killed them, and as pointed out by others a lot were of the uncontested variety. Give Creighton credit they moved without the ball to openings on the floor and moved the ball to find those open men.

The ~55% overall from the field is tough to swallow, but outside of the 3s a lot of those shots they hit were tough contested shots and from spots on the floor the analytics will say are "bad" shots or shots you typically would want your opponent taking. Unfortunately those midrange fade aways were also falling last night.

Maybe my rose colored lenses are in full effect, but in no way does this game give me any cause for concern. The coaching staff now has a weakness of theirs identified and can work to change that moving forward. Road games are always tough, especially in conference against well coached good teams. The most important games, outside of @Marquette, we will be playing the rest of the season (BET and NCAA tournament) are on neutral floors where we have shown over the past two seasons we are tough to beat.

On to Nova.

Reaction Score
I agree that fatigue from that game 2 days ago was a factor.
Not buying it - if that's the case there is no hope when they have to play 3 consecutive days in the BE Tournament and 2 games in 3 days in the NCAA.
These kids should be conditioned better than that.
It wasnt fatigue

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Ouch.

I think a lot of us aren't shocked, I'm not happy about it mind you but I'm not swooning either. Creighton played an A game and had so many open 3s due to their scheming and a lot of blown defensive assignments by UConn. Cam and Karaban never had an open shot either. I did like clawing back to 10 near the end to show they won't just roll over even with a C game, honestly in some ways I'd rather just plop a 20pt stinker down than lose a tight one playing our A game. I'm still confident in the team and Hurley even if he also had some failings (he said as much in the post game). I'd like a win against Creighton at home though and wow, 21 away regular season games in a row against ranked teams without a win? Yeesh.

Reaction Score
I saw some alarming things, mainly Newton forced to be the primary catalyst, with all our shooters being blanketed off the screen action. We need Castle to be option 1A off the dribble.
We absolutely do not need Castle to be option 1A. Castle needs to figure out how to fit better in the offense and to shoot better ASAP. Expect more from a lottery pick in games like last night

Reaction Score
1) He's clearly saying "In MSG I'll knock you out."

2) The dunce that wrote that tweet doesn't know the phrase is "a bit too far" and for that reason alone I can't take them seriously.
Hurley is not stupid that he would threaten a fan.Engaging in MUS - Making up schiest is a despicable act. Saying that such humanoids should be ashamed is not effective since such humanoid# are devoid of shave no matter how low they go.

Reaction Score
A game as much about defense as the game before except this time they played it against us the way we played it against Marquette and we played it against them the way M played it against us. Don't think Spencer had a decent shot at a three all night.

Reaction Score
Not buying it - if that's the case there is no hope when they have to play 3 consecutive days in the BE Tournament and 2 games in 3 days in the NCAA.
These kids should be conditioned better than that.
It wasnt fatigue
I would call it mental fatigue coupled with Creighton being on home court and just some good luck for Creighton. On top of that some bad schiest luck for us. A “perfect storm” smiling on Creighton and schiesting on our heads.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

The difference in the 2 is that one is a senior and one is a sophomore. The senior is more savvy about not committing fouls.

And the senior's coach did his masterful best to have his player's make the most of how the fouls were and were not called. By the time UConn made adjustments and calls were more equivalent, the hole was dug too deep by Creighton's confident shooters.

After Clingan's second foul, UConn readied for the shift to small ball. And the, there were 4 consecutive body-to-body fouls -- adding one each to the foul total for Diarra, Johnson, Castle, and Spencer, as UConn's team fouls quickly moved from 3 to 7 -- while Creighton's stayed at 4. In each case, clear collision contact did occurr, resulting primarily from a UConn player's momentum. I'll venture to say that there was a hand-assist from the UConn player's rear and/or a position-shift toward the UConn player from the bumped-into, foul-drawing Creighton player on each of them. Call it "Husky sandwich." I was concerned that Trey Alexander might injure his neck by the time of his third or fourth head snap. Ashworth was reliable with his snapping, though less extreme except once. Scheierman looked frustrated that he couldn't get such calls most of the game.

I highly credit McDermott for recognizing the opportunity and getting his players to exploit it. For those who have trumpeted Pitino's coaching prowess elsewhere prior to and even during this season until most recently, McDermott faithfully followed Slick Rick's huddle advice that Spencer needed to be stuck to like glue everywhere on the court. It worked. Props to Ashworth's energy level in execution, unlike the "laterally" deficient St Johns players that Pitino trashed by name. Up until a year ago, McDermott totally owned Danny; last night was a reversion.

I watched the Creighton-SDSU Elite 8 game at the YUM! Center last March. As much as I wanted multiple Big East teams in the Final 4 to boost the conference reputation, I was most uneasy with the prospect of playing Creighton. Even during the worst moments of last night, I did not have the same fear. But that's meaningless for the next 4+ games.

The possibility that winning the BE Tournament would require 3 consecutive games with the test of beating a conference opponent 3 times in one season was quite real going into last night. Now, fwiw, it's much less so.

One
Game
At
A
Time

That's what passes for "a heated run-in with a fan" these days? And picked up, mistype and all because there was no better video or source, by SI.com? Oh how major media have fallen.

All those cell phone videos of the court-storming, and this guy got the scoop that went to @CreighTakes to SI.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We were up 11-5 when Donovan picked up his second foul five minutes into the game on the moving screen. That changed the entire complexity of the game. Three negatives resulted from this.

First, Samson was overmatched by Kalkbrenner necessitating one or more of our players to leave the player they were guarding to help out accounting for the open threes. He ended up playing many more minutes than was desirable. Second, once they started making their first uncontested threes confidence built up and not only individual Creighton players exceeded their normal performance it became infectious for the team. Once the lead built up the team played looser. It was the mirror of what happened to Xavier and Marquette when we played them at home. Third, the screening foul was legit but normally not called when the movement is as minimal as Donovan made. Our motion offense is predicated on having our bigs be screeners on the periphery to free up Alex and Cam. That was taken away with that second foul. Samson and Donovan were very hesitant to set picks. When we put Donovan back in at the end of the first half the lead did not increase because our defense did not have to help out but our motion offense was still stagnant.

The second half they increased the lead initially primarily because Creighton adjusted their defense with Castle. This allowed Cam and Alex to be overplayed and completely eliminated their ability to shoot mid range floaters, something we had success with in the first half because Castle's defender hung back. Stephon became the type of offensive liability we observed with AJ last season when he played out on the perimeter before we moved him to the baseline. I expect that we will be making a similar adjustment for Castle now that this weakness was exposed.

In spite of this, the ability to keep Donovan on the floor for most of the second half and the incredible will of Tristen to not surrender brought the lead down to ten around the 4 minute mark. I felt we had a chance to win the game when Tristen led a fast break and passed to a wide open Alex for a three that he normally makes in these situations. But Alex hesitated ever so slightly, the shot was blocked and the game was pretty much over at that point. He makes that shot things could have gotten very interesting.

Reaction Score
We were up 11-5 when Donovan picked up his second foul five minutes into the game on the moving screen. That changed the entire complexity of the game. Three negatives resulted from this.

First, Samson was overmatched by Kalkbrenner necessitating one or more of our players to leave the player they were guarding to help out accounting for the open threes. He ended up playing many more minutes than was desirable. Second, once they started making their first uncontested threes confidence built up and not only individual Creighton players exceeded their normal performance it became infectious for the team. Once the lead built up the team played looser. It was the mirror of what happened to Xavier and Marquette when we played them at home. Third, the screening foul was legit but normally not called when the movement is as minimal as Donovan made. Our motion offense is predicated on having our bigs be screeners on the periphery to free up Alex and Cam. That was taken away with that second foul. Samson and Donovan were very hesitant to set picks. When we put Donovan back in at the end of the first half the lead did not increase because our defense did not have to help out but our motion offense was still stagnant.

The second half they increased the lead initially primarily because Creighton adjusted their defense with Castle. This allowed Cam and Alex to be overplayed and completely eliminated their ability to shoot mid range floaters, something we had success with in the first half because Castle's defender hung back. Stephon became the type of offensive liability we observed with AJ last season when he played out on the perimeter before we moved him to the baseline. I expect that we will be making a similar adjustment for Castle now that this weakness was exposed.

In spite of this, the incredible will of Tristen to not surrender brought the lead down to ten around the 4 minute mark. I felt we had a chance to win the game when Tristen led a fast break and passed to a wide open Alex for a three that he normally makes in these situations. But Alex hesitated ever so slightly, the shot was blocked and the game was pretty much over at that point. He makes that shot things could have gotten very interesting.
We're going to have to figure out how to play better without Clingan. There will certainly be more games before everything is done where Donovan gets into foul trouble. Also need to find better ways of getting Cam and AK involved when other teams are focused on stopping them from getting any open threes. The three games we lost were the three games Cam was shut down.

I'm not worried.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thank you for validating the reason for the post.

And just to make sure I understand.

Your premise is that the post about losing last night was because fans were opining in an opinion forum that there was a reason to be optimistic about a three peat? So the OP was correct in their assertion?

Or are you saying my response contributes to spreading a narrative that is absurd and my acknowledging the post sarcastically to try and stop that thinking is making it worse.

Or just in general my post was harmful to the overall collective of like minded fans exhibiting frustration at a loss that really other than the significant difference in the final score was not the most surprising outcome given the landscape of men’s college basketball and what has happened to good teams on the road.

Perhaps the answer is all of the above.

Just curious.
Sarcasm is a false balm, often insulating us from feeling uncomfortable emotions.

It may provide a quick lift, like eating a bag of bulk candy does. But it's non-nutritive. And like sugar and most other ingested white substances, it demands nearly endless repetition.

If you are hurt or angry or frustrated or skeptical in the face of someone's perceived absurdity, then I suggest that you say so, rather than perpetuating the absurdity. Otherwise, you are adding animating fuel to flames of pessimism, as though clarity of message or unity of purpose are either not possible or worth pursuing.

A survey of thread topics both before and after the Marquette game would suggest a susceptibility to distraction, a propensity for bickering, and an interest in generating speculative conversation on things we don't want (and in life's reality more often don't than do come to pass).

I'm hopeful (and largely confident) that the coaches and players don't put their attentions on such matters. I don't generally favor fans doing so. I don't have much influence, but I will sometimes seize an opening to awaken expression in others that matches people's true attitudes.

By extreme example, I'd disfavor myself saying, "Oh great, now everything's going to suck, so why even bother to write or say anything, why even get out of bed, the world's going to hell in a hand basket and everything stinks," whether it captures my frame of mind or it's meant to make fun of or criticize others whose frame of mind is such. I believe that courting ambiguity that includes unwanted options is counterproductive if I have a clear preference for a certain path or outcome.

I'm primarily interested in UConn playing as well as it can, and I'd really like to witness a Big East regular season championship, a Big East Tournament championship, and an NCAA Tournament championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We smoked them, they smoked us. Home and home.
That's just how it works in the world of college basketball especially between two great basketball teams. And yes, they had a phenomenal night from beyond the arch. It happens. Move on and learn from it.
What matters is putting it behind them and responding this Saturday

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are such babies. We weren’t going 19-1 in conference. And we’re still gonna win the Big East regular season title and be a 1 seed in Boston and Bklyn.

Back off the ledge
Give Creighton the credit. I don't really see many or even any posters freaking out.

With Ashworth playing like this and it being at their home (one of the best crowds in the country) if they spread you out and make shots like that with Kalk holding down the middle on defense they become extremely hard to beat.

Clingan picked up the 2 quick ones and we responded really poorly to Creighton's great play and it snowballed. We should've played better but Creighton had so much to do with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom