Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The coaching and talent is just too good at the Top 50 level for Hurley to keep blowing games like this and hope UConn is successful. This isn't the A10, where the coaches are either on the upswing of their careers and won't be around long, on downswing of their careers and aren't that good, or are just mediocrities. Hurley can't out-talent the other team every night in the Big East.

McDermott, Cooley, Miller and Holloway have talented rosters and don't just blow games. Even Matta and Anderson, who are past their primes, don't just blow games. Stubblefield is trying to win in the Big East with an A10-caliber roster, but he doesn't blow games. Even Neptune seems to be coming around a little at the end of games.

But Hurley just blows games. How is UConn going to get to the second weekend in March when we are completely outmatched in game coaching? There aren't a lot of bad coaches in the NCAA Tournament.
I am in in Parcels camp, you are what your record says you are. Forget Talent, promise, etc. we are mid-level Big East Team ~500 and have not shown good stuff against the tops in our league.

We never showed we were ready to win the game today. Creighton was in control all game - not as close as we all wanted it to be.

Jackson’s breakdowns late game, Hawkins not knowing where 3 point line is and that he had time to set or the iill advised foul in last minute,Tristan Newton disappearing, inability to set screens, you just can’t do these types of things and expect to win.

We aren’t as good as hyped and that’s okay but what we do have to do is start playing with a new found DISCIPLINE and level of commitment to EXCEl at the end of game rather than wither. And that starts with Hurley.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Looking at this with the glass half full: Not a bad loss. Probably the toughest game that was remaining on our schedule. If we meet them on a neutral floor we can beat them. Let’s win the rest of these and close out the season strong!

If UConn can lose this game, then Depaul is the only sure win left on the schedule.

pj

Reaction Score
You're never going to win Big East games when you only shoot 4 free throws.

For whatever reason it happened, you're just not going to win without those free shots.

We almost won. Shooting 32% on field goals was a bigger problem. If they don't foul, you have to hit shots.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley lost today's game all by himself. Scoring 7 points in the last 10 minutes (until 3 seconds left) when the opposing defense is completely gassed by the middle of the second half is what blowing a game looks like.

Providence didn't blow today's game, they were lucky to be in it at the end despite St. Johns probably playing its best game of the year. That is what having a good game coach like Cooley looks like.
Hurley = Half empty
Cooley = Half full

The only difference is that you cared who won this game

Reaction Score
You can separate the people who watch hoops or not by blaming AJ ( and he wasn’t great today offensively)
Our back court was awful, no denying. But we don’t have control of that. Hawk was due for an off game. Newton was taken away because the paint was packed.

AJ and his decision making were something we can control. The offense worked better with him not out there.

Reaction Score
We went on the road to a hostile environment against one of the hottest teams in the country and put the clamps on them defensively. They hit 2 hero shots that had no business going in. We barfed all over ourselves on 2 breakaways. Those alone are the difference here.
Spare me the hilarity and anti-Hurley shtick going on. A win would have been awesome but we were dogs and fought and battled all game. AJ obviously was an anchor today but seriously at this point you have to ride it out. NA isn’t hitting shots today, Joey can’t guard scheirman, and Johnson clearly isn’t healthy to play. The only option for the team is to try to get Jackson right, because we Need him to get right to compete in March.
But with everything that went wrong today, we’re an inch from OT against a team fighting for a 3 seed. Let’s all take a step back

Reaction Score
If UConn can lose this game, then Depaul is the only sure win left on the schedule.
They lost to the #23 team in the country on their home floor by one possession after shooting terribly. I see the silver lining of a team that will win most, if not all, of their remaining games.

Reaction Score
That's fair, but it's pretty telling when those people only show up after losses. I can respect posters like you who will show up win or lose and express their doubts. But for at least 50% of the posters in this thread they're not even bothering to turn on the game and watch
Uh, whenever I express my doubts after both wins and loses, which is often, you show zero respect by having disliked just about every one of those comments. I watch every game, and am just as entitled to express myself as you are, and everyone else is. But honestly, I could not care less if you like or dislike my comments

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am in in Parcels camp, you are what your record says you are. Forget Talent, promise, etc. we are mid-level Big East Team ~500 and have not shown good stuff against the tops in our league.

We never showed we were ready to win the game today. Creighton was in control all game - not as close as we all wanted it to be.

Jackson’s breakdowns late game, Hawkins not knowing where 3 point line is and that he had time to set or the iill advised foul in last minute,Tristan Newton disappearing, inability to set screens, you just can’t do these types of things and expect to win.

We aren’t as good as hyped and that’s okay but what we do have to do is start playing with a new found DISCIPLINE and level of commitment to EXCEl at the end of game rather than wither. And that starts with Hurley.

The Bill Parcells quote is fun especially coming from someone who would famously blame everyone else when things went wrong and take all the credit when things went right. It was easy to have clever quips when you had the best coach in NFL history as your defensive coordinator. How many Super Bowls did Bill Parcells win without Belichek?

You have two choices with UConn: Either the same team that stomped a Top 5 team (Alabama), 4 tournament locks (Creighton, Marquette, Iowa State and Oklahoma State) and two bubble teams (Florida and Oregon) is really a .500 caliber team in the Big East, or Hurley has pissed away a potentially historic season with his totally predictable gameday breakdowns.

Does the "you are what your record says you are" apply to Hurley too, who is now on his third set of players at UConn and is still blowing games in exactly the same ways as he did when he got here?

Reaction Score
Hurley lost today's game all by himself. Scoring 7 points in the last 10 minutes (until 3 seconds left) when the opposing defense is completely gassed by the middle of the second half is what blowing a game looks like.

Providence didn't blow today's game, they were lucky to be in it at the end despite St. Johns probably playing its best game of the year. That is what having a good game coach like Cooley looks like.
This post is insane

Reaction Score
I’ll say it again, for the 100th time this season. Continuing to let Jackson take this many shots is almost guaranteeing a loss. Doomed us against X, doomed us today. Um, there’s a reason they are leaving you this open!!!

And Danny just keeps letting it happen, game in and game out. What an AWFUL coaching exhibition.
He’s a definite liability on offense . Although today there were many opportunities to take the lead and bonehead decisions all around cost that game. In no situation, should Jackson be taking a three in a close game with less than 3-4 minutes. Also there’s no way Jackson should be taking about half the amount of shots as Hawkins.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They lost to the #23 team in the country on their home floor by one possession after shooting terribly. I see the silver lining of a team that will win most, if not all, of their remaining games.

It's not who they lost to. I think Creighton is a good team. It is how they lost. Creighton was on the ropes with 10:18 left, and Hurley's offense scored 7 points over the next 10:15.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
AJ and his decision making were something we can control. The offense worked better with him not out there.
newton gets taken away for a myriad of reasons.

He’s a good player ,and despite our quote unquote “ depth”. We are only as good as pg. I don’t need triple double Newton I just need 7/3/2 EVERY game. Too much to ask?

Reaction Score
The Bill Parcells quote is fun especially coming from someone who would famously blame everyone else when things went wrong and take all the credit when things went right. It was easy to have clever quips when you had the best coach in NFL history as your defensive coordinator. How many Super Bowls did Bill Parcells win without Belichek?

You have two choices with UConn: Either the same team that stomped a Top 5 team (Alabama), 4 tournament locks (Creighton, Marquette, Iowa State and Oklahoma State) and two bubble teams (Florida and Oregon) is really a .500 caliber team in the Big East, or Hurley has pissed away a potentially historic season with his totally predictable gameday breakdowns.

Does the "you are what your record says you are" apply to Hurley too, who is now on his third set of players at UConn and is still blowing games in exactly the same ways as he did when he got here?
We're not a .500 caliber Big East team. We had a frontloaded schedule. We will likely win the next 5 games, or at least 4 of the 5. You are what your record says you are... at the end of the season.

No guarantees, obviously, but if we win less than 13 games in the Big East, then I'll be upset. 13-7 isn't what I hoped, but it's also not a catastrophe considering pre-season expectations.

Reaction Score
Uh, whenever I express my doubts after both wins and loses, which is often, you show zero respect by having disliked just about every one of those comments. I watch every game, and am just as entitled to express myself as you are, and everyone else is. But honestly, I could not care less if you like or dislike my comments
Yeah, I think your attacks against Newton and Jackson are dumb and unnecessary

Reaction Score
Well as you astutely pointed out with your 28-0 comment, it appears that someone can indeed win the Big East by only winning the big games at home. Which isn't to excuse the no show today (or over the past 5 years) on the road
You can if you are a top 4 team. We are not

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think your attacks against Newton and Jackson are dumb and unnecessary
And spot on target... Case in point, their respective disappointing performances today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom