Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Creighton is good, and aside from the last 30s UConn looked pretty good overall - not their best but still as solid game. I think we're about equal as teams so losing to them at their home after beating them on ours seems reasonable.

BUT what the everloving was that "strategy" in the last 30s or so?! Ok, I would have fouled early myself but I get the strategy of hoping for a defensive stop and having ~9s left - but after Hawkins fouled and we ended up with the ball with 2.4s left the clear strategy with 1 TO is to save that for AFTER you inbound it way downfield. What were they doing??? That is all on Hurley. It's 101 basketball man.

I just don't get it.

Reaction Score
Jackson’s issues were literally in a 3.5 minute span. His Defense and rebounding kept him on the floor.

Sacrificing offense is undoable in the last 5 minutes of close games. Problem was Alleyne was not giving us anything on offense either, though his a threat the D has to respect.

Tough game, played well overall, especially on D.
Newton was absent today, and we felt it.
He is like a good defensive outfielder who hits .200. You can try to justify him playing by saying he prevents runs but in the end you would replace him in a heartbeat with a guy who hits .285.

But to me the bonehead player of the game award goes to #24. 2 bad fouls. On the rebound and at the 21 second mark. Then you need court awareness on that shot.

Reaction Score
Nope don’t put this on Alleyne. At least he’s drawing defenders to him. They not leaving him alone.

Hey coach, biggie, That does not give him green light to shoot.

Reaction Score
Hurley was not the problem today
The one thing I didn't like about Hurley today was towards the end of the game when Jackson did his ISO drive and fadeaway hook shot thing Hurley immediately grabbed Alleyne to sub in. 2 of the 3? next possessions were a Jackson airball and shot clock violation and then the brick after Karaban's cross court pass. I would have loved to see him use one of his two timeouts to get Alleyne in the game before those possessions since he clearly intended to take Jackson out, but I also get wanting to have two times outs for closing time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Any stats sites out there that I can easily see blocked shots per game when we were winning early until roughly Georgetown game one when we started going downhill. I feel like this team lost its identity on defense (which is still decent) and it’s offense all at once. Sanogo is getting too comfortable from the arc which isn’t what should be happening.
Post/handle

2 good rebuttals.

If someone can offer the site where OP can get rebounding info, the thread can be locked.

Reaction Score
Any stats sites out there that I can easily see blocked shots per game when we were winning early until roughly Georgetown game one when we started going downhill. I feel like this team lost its identity on defense (which is still decent) and it’s offense all at once. Sanogo is getting too comfortable from the arc which isn’t what should be happening.
2.5 per game in the 14-0 stretch, and 4.0 per game since

Reaction Score
Because he doesn’t have not one single way to score as a junior… he can’t make a layup, he doesn’t even shoot midrange jumpers it’s a push shot instead, and the only thing he’s focused on is 3 point shooting which is honestly just stupid. Once he went on a very expected 3 point shooting slump of course it’s going to affect everything else.
100% agree. But he has the ability to get the back down floater up any time he wants. Every time he shoots it looks like he decided to do it less than a second prior.

But yes, he’s brutal at shooting. Not denying that.

Reaction Score
That was a very winnable road game against a good team, and they it let slip through their hands. This has been a multi-year theme now, to the point where it’s no longer a coincidence.

We saw all of Hurley’s bad traits today. Newton and Jackson were negatives on both sides of the ball, yet they barely came out of the game. Then, with three minutes to go and the game slipping away, he decides to bring in Diarra and Alleyne.

Hurley isn’t that young of a coach anymore - time for him to look in the mirror and figure some things out.
Let me know the next time UConn closes a game out against a tough opponent on the road. Same thing will happen in tournament. They cannot win close games.

Reaction Score
Its time to bench Jackson and give him the Alterique, Carlton, etc. treatment. We just lost a tough one possession game - but how many possessions did he boof with air balls, bricks or turnovers? We are so easy to defend when he's in there. I get he's an elite defender but he could make a chair look like an elite defender on the other side.

+10000000000000000000000

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This team will lose these tough road games about nine times out of ten. At some point, we need to start winning them and that day isn’t coming this year.

Just not good at winning…Hawkins disappears, Jackson has no idea what he can do and can’t do and the bench guys are marginal.

Whine all you want - this is what they are.

Yes but you didn’t mention the enchilada.

Tristen Newton.

Reaction Score
Great game to watch. Too bad we couldn't steal that win. I have said all year that Newton is the key to this teams success. Especially when we don't shoot it well from 3. He had a bad game today, and it cost us. With Jackson not able to score and Hawkins being defended that well and having an off game, you need Newton to step up. I have confidence with him going forward though.

Reaction Score
AJ needed to sit when we were down 1 for what seemed like 5 minutes then you bring Jackson in with a lead. Need to start using him situationally.

Reaction Score
When he shoots a lot, we lose. I love the kid overall, hes a gamer and a heck of an athlete but he is a major offensive liability and cannot be on the Floor more than half a game. I blame this loss on Hurley. Teams can play essentially 5 on 4 offensively bottling up our other players/shooters when hes on the floor. Hes a 20 minute, 25 minute MAX guy. Period.

Reaction Score
In crunch time you have to protect the rock. AJ did none of that. Turned the ball over time and again, can't score. At one time I believed his strengths outweighed his weaknesses. He is a liability. We play 4 on 5 on every offensive set. He is out of control at times. I've never seen someone’s basketball IQ move from high to low as the game progresses.

Reaction Score
McDermott in the first half "they're taking the shots we want them to take and if they continue to take them we'll win" Jackson 11 shots. Hurley on some other planet.

Add in Hurley playing Clingan with no shooters to pass to. Alleyne, Diarra, Jackson, nearly always on the court with him. I just don't get it.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe posters are saying expected loss. Really? I don’t watch a game I expect us to lose. Not this season. Idc how good a team is at home we need to win on the road.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it again, for the 100th time this season. Continuing to let Jackson take this many shots is almost guaranteeing a loss. Doomed us against X, doomed us today. Um, there’s a reason they are leaving you this open!!!

And Danny just keeps letting it happen, game in and game out. What an AWFUL coaching exhibition.
Ridiculous, he’s taking these 3’s drives to the basket use your athleticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer