Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
This was as bad or worse than anything I've seen this year. It wasn't even creative offense or looks. They just kept goading Sanogo into the switch or hedge and then Kalk would slip to the basket. There was zero adjustment to it all second half.
Spot on assessment. No defensive coaching adjustment by UCONN in the second half had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. Creighton just kept baiting Sanogo when he was hedging outside to give Kalk a clear pathway to the basket or allow Kalk to isolate one-on-one against Adama with no defensive help. Even when Sanogo did hold well defensively against Kalk, no one ever doubled down to tie Kalk up. Other Uconn defenders just watched Sanogo get shot over. And when it came to game-winning time (the last 3 minutes or so), Andre just threw up some long distance shots. He really needs better shooting technique. Sadly, this was a waste of a good comeback on the road after Creighton had an unconscious hot shooting first half. That's two games in a row where Creighton got a long distance 3-point bank shot.

Reaction Score
And it's not like we played well and lost a hard fought game. We looked like crap. It's a recurring problem.
If by recurring problem , you mean lose basketball games, you should see the other 357 teams and their records.

Reaction Score
We shot 27% from 3 in a game we lost by 2.
We lost because Creighton curb stomped us in the first 16 minutes of the game and because Kalbrenner curb stomped us in the last 16 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
O-5, not O-2 or 0-3, yes this is a problem.
Dude, you do know we don't play Creighton every game right?. If we don't play them at MSG it's a next year problem. We just won 5 in a row and you're acting like Hurley is the pilot of the Hindenburg.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Maddening...Deja deja deja vu...give credit to Creighton for graciously accepting a gift win from us...
1. From 8:10 minute mark left in game to 20 seconds left... 2 for 10 shooting, 1 for 3 free throws
2. Couldn't Hurley find a way for RJ to get a few more shots in the last 8 minutes (1 miss in the time frame above
3. 27.3% 3 pt shooting 40% FT
4. Bench 10 pts vs 14 vs Nova and 30 vs Gtown
5 No time out taken after Polley 3 with 19 seconds left???..Forced Martin to commit 5 th foul

and BTW, don't sleep on Depaul Saturday...they're not your mother's Blue Demons

Reaction Score
Cool
We
We may have one more at them this year.
Yeah I guess if we play them in finals.
Dude, you do know we don't play Creighton every game right?. If we don't play them at MSG it's a next year problem. We just won 5 in a row and you're acting like Hurley is the pilot of the Hindenburg.
Don't twist this. We should not be 0-5 against Creighton. You think Hurley is a good coach and I don't think he is that good of a coach. We are not playing them at MSG so it will go into next season. McDermott is a better coach and I don't think it's even close. UConn has better talent than Creighton and I don't think that's even close.

Reaction Score
Because UConn was picked 2nd in the conference, is the most athletic team in the conference, and is a veteran team. Creighton was picked 8th in the conference, is not very athletic, replaced their whole team outside of Kalkrenner and O'Connell, and they didn't have their Big East freshman of the year point guard.

Marquette was picked 9th in the Big East this year.
And Sanogo wasn’t picked on the all big east team. Pre season predictions are pointless at this point. Creighton has proven they’re a formidable team

Reaction Score
We are 0-2. It’s an entirely separate conversation. Combining years where teams makeups are completely different is looking for a reason to be outraged.
Hurley 0-5 vs McDermott

Reaction Score
We

Yeah I guess if we play them in finals.

Don't twist this. We should not be 0-5 against Creighton. You think Hurley is a good coach and I don't think he is that good of a coach. We are not playing them at MSG so it will go into next season. McDermott is a better coach and I don't think it's even close. UConn has better talent than Creighton and I don't think that's even close.
Twist what? 0-5 is not optimal. I said they had our number. I think Hurley is a good coach that will get better in areas he needs to get better in. I think McDermott is a better coach right now. Experience for days. Talent? Probably but that's a general term. By what criteria?

Reaction Score
And Sanogo wasn’t picked on the all big east team. Pre season predictions are pointless at this point. Creighton has proven they’re a formidable tea

And Sanogo wasn’t picked on the all big east team. Pre season predictions are pointless at this point. Creighton has proven they’re a formidable team
Certainly against us. How did this non athletic team beat UConn then Mr Ant

Reaction Score
They've proven they're better than us in 2 games we were favored in. McDermott has proven he beats Hurley with two entirely different teams.

Reaction Score
Twist what? 0-5 is not optimal. I said they had our number. I think Hurley is a good coach that will get better in areas he needs to get better in. I think McDermott is a better coach right now. Experience for days. Talent? Probably but that's a general term. By what criter

Reaction Score
Twist what? 0-5 is not optimal. I said they had our number. I think Hurley is a good coach that will get better in areas he needs to get better in. I think McDermott is a better coach right now. Experience for days. Talent? Probably but that's a general term. By what criteria?
Who is the better basketball team, c'mon now? Who on Creighton would you take over our top 7, maybe Hawkins, the big kid, coaching has a lot to do with this 0-5.

Reaction Score
Who is the better basketball team, c'mon now? Who on Creighton would you take over our top 7, maybe Hawkins, the big kid, coaching has a lot to do with this 0-5.
For this year:
I'd take Kalkbrenner over Whaley.
Ryan Hawkins over Jackson.
Kaluma over Hawkins.
O'Connell vs. Polley is a toss-up.

Reaction Score
Coaching has nothing to do with us being 21-8 and 12-6? It's all the players when we win and all the coach when we lose? Must be nice to live in such a simple non nuanced world. I would take our overall roster(future especially) but a lot of our "talent" is young or raw and on the bench. As for the guys that play, their big is good, Hawkins is good, Kaluma is good. Nembhard before the injury. O'Connell is solid. Their players are all skilled. We have two skilled guys in Cole and Sanogo. Martin is a skill/athlete combo. We have athletic guys like AJax who is raw as heck offensively and struggles shooting and Hawkins, who has a great future but is freshman and hit or miss from game to game. Whaley a glue guy/good defender. Polley has shot much better lately but for much of the season struggled in that area and has struggled helping out in other areas. It's not the blowout you think it is. We look better getting off the bus. The people that want to point to recruiting rankings(make no difference now). Three of our starters weren't even top 200 players in Cole, Martin, Whaley. Polley wasn't a major recruit. Gaff was just outside top 100 or around there. The only top recruits who contribute are obviously Sanogo, Hawkins(freshman), AJax(good, even talented role player but struggles shooting).

Reaction Score
Coaching has nothing to do with us being 21-8 and 12-6? It's all the players when we win and all the coach when we lose? Must be nice to live in such a simple non nuanced world. I would take our overall roster(future especially) but a lot of our "talent" is young or raw and on the bench. As for the guys that play, their big is good, Hawkins is good, Kaluma is good. Nembhard before the injury. O'Connell is solid. Their players are all skilled. We have two skilled guys in Cole and Sanogo. Martin is a skill/athlete combo. We have athletic guys like AJax who is raw as heck offensively and struggles shooting and Hawkins, who has a great future but is freshman and hit or miss from game to game. Whaley a glue guy/good defender. Polley has shot much better lately but for much of the season struggled in that area and has struggled helping out in other areas. It's not the blowout you think it is. We look better getting off the bus. The people that want to point to recruiting rankings(make no difference now). Three of our starters weren't even top 200 players in Cole, Martin, Whaley. Polley wasn't a major recruit. Gaff was just outside top 100 or around there. The only top recruits who contribute are obviously Sanogo, Hawkins(freshman), AJax(good, even talented role player but struggles shooting).
This is nonsense, our roster is older and better than theirs and you know it.

There's a reason UConn was picked 2nd and favored in both games and Creighton was picked 8th.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Considering they played a team who has a strong gameplan proven to work and delivered a "C" game... this wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be when we were down double digits and injuries flying. The only major complaint I have is not changing up coverage with 4mins or so to go on Kalk, by that point it was clear he was beating Sanogo at will - either double up or have Sanogo stop sagging off him.

Hurley has been more dynamic this season but it's like he's got a limit per game. We've got two distinct play styles - one where Sanogo dominates the paint and we feed him and one without him on the floor with a lot more ball movement, sometimes one works better than the other. Today I think going to the more alternate lineups (Whaley, Cole, Polley, AJ, Martin for ex) might have worked better since Sanogo was locked up on the offensive end and getting punished on D at the end. It just seems like DH is married to the idea of sticking to "Plan A - Sanogo Feasts" regardless of what's happening unless Sanogo gets in early foul trouble. Our Plan B\Small Ball is just as strong IMO depending on the matchup and we saw that recently.

Overall though we just came off the Nova win and then a blowout with mediocre play against GT, even if it wasn't Creighton I think a loss was a high percentage probability. It's all good, let's go for a run in the BET and more importantly in the Nats.

Hoping none of the injuries are serious, especially Hawkins he didn't look too hot after pancaking into the human wall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom