Creighton advances! (Merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creighton advances! (Merged)

Reaction Score
I'll let people watch the presser and decide for themselves. Bluder accurately pointed out that thru the season, there were an average of 34 fouls called per game, but in this game only 22. She was commenting on the lack of consistency. I wonder if these refs ever did an Iowa game this season?

I do believe that Geno has commented on the quality, or lack of it, of the Refs in WCBB. Maybe as a general comment rather than a specific game or loss.
Averages go out the window for every game, not just the tournament. Refs officiate and players adjust to them. How many times did CC walk around with out stretched arms in the first have questioning calls. Iowa coach must of got to her at the half because she did not do it the second half.

I coach baseball for a lot of years. 1000's of times I said if your worried about the last pitch, your not ready for the next pitch. Same advice here. doesn't matter if your an AA or the last one on the bench, you suck it up and play.

Reaction Score
Every team they lost to is either in the March Madness or NIT, so I don't see those as "bad losses" as you say. While Iowa lost to Duke and Northwestern, neither of them are in post season play.
Well bad choice of words. “Bad losses” in terms of bringing their seeding down a little. Losses to Duke and Northwestern only reinforce what I initially stated in Iowa being “the most overrated or weakest 2 seed I can remember”.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Aren't NPOY votes already in? If not...then Caitlin's performance today will certainly hurt her but was she
ever a 'lock"? I would say that Boston has been the definite leader for that award pretty much after SC won that 3 game tournament in November. #1 player on the #1 team....a real asset on offense and defense.

Reaction Score
Averages go out the window for every game, not just the tournament. Refs officiate and players adjust to them. How many times did CC walk around with out stretched arms in the first have questioning calls. Iowa coach must of got to her at the half because she did not do it the second half.

I coach baseball for a lot of years. 1000's of times I said if your worried about the last pitch, your not ready for the next pitch. Same advice here. doesn't matter if your an AA or the last one on the bench, you suck it up and play.
Well said, terrible optic by the Iowa coach IMO.

Reaction Score
Creighton actually got a pretty good draw for the tournament. Iowa was clearly the least formidable 2 seed, and with their style of play, any team that can make shots has a chance to beat them. Against any other 2 I don’t think Creighton wins.

Now they get the winner of Georgia or Iowa St. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them be competitive against other of those teams. Would be quite something to see them get to the elite 8 and a matchup with South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Not Accurate. She correctly pointed out that the game was called differently than all year. But she made it absolutely clear ( to everyone but you, apparently) that Creighton deserved credit for the win, and she didn't want to take anything away from them. Clark pointed out that she always looks for more calls, as does the opposing team.

Hypothetical question, if God forbid, UConn loses, how many fans do you think wll blame the Refs?
That game was weird in that the officials I thought were consistent, consistently lenient with contact that I've seen called all year long. I guarantee Geno would have lost his mind in that situation

Reaction Score
I watched the game. Creighton played great defense, keeping Clark to one basket in the second half.

I used to complain about the weak Big East, but this game changed my mind.
Well, Baller, I think a lot of us are guilty of undervaluing BE opponents by how easily UConn has beaten them, for example we had 18 and 20-point wins over Creighton this year and Creighton beats a #2 seed and really if they had made their bunnies, Creighton would have easily won by a dozen... Depending on the outcome of tomorrow's games Villanova vs. Michigan and UConn vs. UCF, the BE could have 3 teams in the Sweet 16. Not bad for the so-called crappy BE...

Reaction Score
I was frustrated watching Creighton missing so many layups down the stretch,
but the made the big shot when they needed it. Great win for them and for the
Big East.
OMG--I could not believe the chippies both teams missed. If you were to have blindfolded spectators from the stands, they would shoot 80 percent on those shots! Maybe it was the moment and it caused nervous energy...

Reaction Score
Such an exciting game to watch. Creighton was so poised and well coached. Even though close score, they controlled the game. Maintained composure even when shots weren’t dropping. Missed bunnies. 1-10 to close out first half. Great D on Clark. Other observations: didn’t know what a whiner Clark was. Czinano can really position herself and make a layup. Happy but amazed she missed the last bunny. Iowa was outcoached, but their coach classy in defeat. As was creighton’’s in victory. Clark tried to do too much. Should have realized the double teams. Did not make her team around her better.
Possibly only exceeded by her flopping ability. On her final drive while initiating the contact and missing the layup, the dramatic flop was a 5 star beauty.

Reaction Score
Creighton matched up well. If they face South Carolina it will be a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
Love the win by the BE!
Looked like a 2A high school contest between 2 middle of the pack teams. Layups Layups, especially down the stretch!
Game had a yucky pro-Iowa feel. Reminds me of a big home crowd, in a place where there's nothing else to do. Like that movie I recommended, Providence, about girl's HS 6 on 6 basketball in Iowa.
Clark must be too into the hype. Hate her demeanor. Flopping. POY, my butt, 4-19 against Creighton.
This game did NOT elevate WCBB in the world of sports conversation.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Love the win by the BE!
Looked like a 2A high school contest between 2 middle of the pack teams. Layups Layups, especially down the stretch!
Game had a yucky pro-Iowa feel. Reminds me of a big home crowd, in a place where there's nothing else to do. Like that movie I recommended, Providence, about girl's HS 6 on 6 basketball in Iowa.
Clark must be too into the hype. Hate her demeanor. Flopping. POY, my butt, 4-19 against Creighton.
This game did NOT elevate WCBB in the world of sports conversation.
This game was a heck of a lot better than the South Carolina - Miami game. One of the worst games I've seen in years. It did not help grow the Women's game and it was on ABC.

Reaction Score
This game was a heck of a lot better than the South Carolina - Miami game. One of the worst games I've seen in years. It did not help grow the Women's game and it was on ABC.
I've never heard two announcers gush so hard about a team that struggled to score 31 points in 3 quarters. Peck makes me nauseous. I wonder how many Staley and Henny autographs she has.

Reaction Score
Not Accurate. She correctly pointed out that the game was called differently than all year. But she made it absolutely clear ( to everyone but you, apparently) that Creighton deserved credit for the win, and she didn't want to take anything away from them. Clark pointed out that she always looks for more calls, as does the opposing team.

Hypothetical question, if God forbid, UConn loses, how many fans do you think wll blame the Refs?
Geno has always stated that he doesn't care how a game is called as long as it is consistent.The coaches and players can adjust to that.

Of course we will all blame the refs - it is the only way we could lose! :D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Classy statement by Bluder after the game regarding Jensen:

"But they did a great job, and Lauren Jensen was here last year, obviously that's an incredible storyline. She goes over there and she comes back and beats us on our home court, and I want to congratulate her because she's a great kid. She is a really, really good kid. I'm happy for her. I wish it wasn't in this situation, but I am happy for her that she's found a really good home and is really having a lot of success."

Reaction Score
I just watched the game (great game btw) and in the 1st Q Iowa got hit many times on O where the refs were letting it go. Iowa does like to attack the paint at times, whereas Creiton (sp) was jacking up 3s all over the place.

So for 1st Q Iowa got screwed. But I don’t care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom