Creighton advances! (Merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Creighton advances! (Merged)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jim Flanery looks like he might take on the Doug Bruno elder statesman of the small school mantle when Doug hangs the up.

On the fouls - one item that held the totals down was that in the 4th Q neither team was intentionally fouling until the very end - it was a one score game all the way so 22 fouls didn't become 28+.

Reaction Score
Sometimes its as simple as the underdog just plays with more freedom and less stress because they simply have nothing to lose. It's the higher seed with the expectations to live up to. So, the lower seed lets it fly while the top seed is tight. The "little guy" builds confidence and it builds momentum while the "big guy" gets even more out of kilter when things aren't going as expected. It the game was played again tomorrow the outcome might be totally different.

Such are the vagaries of the one and done tournament.

Reaction Score
Sometimes its as simple as the underdog just plays with more freedom and less stress because they simply have nothing to lose. It's the higher seed with the expectations to live up to. So, the lower seed lets it fly while the top seed is tight. The "little guy" builds confidence and it builds momentum while the "big guy" gets even more out of kilter when things aren't going as expected. It the game was played again tomorrow the outcome might be totally different.

Such are the vagaries of the one and done tournament.
I agree with the "sometimes" part. But sometimes it's as simple as, when the favorite is put under some actual pressure, they can't handle it. That's what I saw. To win big games you need money players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We have a player on the UConn team, Nika Muhl, that likes to express her opinions to the refs as well. You like the fire, but it can hurt the team.

Creighton, like most Big East teams, can play a physical game and it appears the refs let it go. Is it so different from the Big 10, another physical league? I’d think Iowa would have had some experience with it.
I am guessing if Nika does not like a call and gives it back to the ref, she does it in Croation. :)

Reaction Score
I thought when UCONN beat her last year that she wasn't very graceful in defeat either. Not that she needs to be but . . .
OTOH, she seemed to have been really proud and protective of the Iowa native's deciding to stay close to home: Caitlyn Clark. Maybe it partially had to do with the Paige vs Caitlyn comparison narrative, with Paige being on a higher profile team. And, her behaviour in this game may have also been influenced by how Creighton successfully defended Clark. Then, again, maybe not? Regardless, you have a point.

The Mercer thread closed replies before I could respond to your last reply. We were sort of drifting towards a broader discourse on the subject which would probably best be done outside of the threads and with Descartes in mind: "If you want to converse with me, define your terms...." for some things.

I did avoid the valedictorian point you were making a 2nd time.....you and I know it depends on the school/educational system: rote learning, book learning, book learning plus problem solving, or more that challenges the mind beyond curricular requirements. I was at a ringside seat for four valedictorians: only one retained my respect years on, three salutatorians were actually better in their world view and perspectives but another who was simply an honor student ended up being admitted to MIT and in the 3rd year of his working life had six PhDs working for him. This would turn it into a discussion about educational systems and teaching methods actually and not about a specific valedictorian.....so, I will stop here.

Reaction Score
OTOH, she seemed to have been really proud and protective of the Iowa native's deciding to stay close to home: Caitlyn Clark. Maybe it partially had to do with the Paige vs Caitlyn comparison narrative, with Paige being on a higher profile team. And, her behaviour in this game may have also been influenced by how Creighton successfully defended Clark. Then, again, maybe not? Regardless, you have a point.

The Mercer thread closed replies before I could respond to your last reply. We were sort of drifting towards a broader discourse on the subject which would probably best be done outside of the threads and with Descartes in mind: "If you want to converse with me, define your terms...." for some things.

I did avoid the valedictorian point you were making a 2nd time.....you and I know it depends on the school/educational system: rote learning, book learning, book learning plus problem solving, or more that challenges the mind beyond curricular requirements. I was at a ringside seat for four valedictorians: only one retained my respect years on, three salutatorians were actually better in their world view and perspectives but another who was simply an honor student ended up being admitted to MIT and in the 3rd year of his working life had six PhDs working for him. This would turn it into a discussion about educational systems and teaching methods actually and not about a specific valedictorian.....so, I will stop here.
You are missing my point completely taking it too literal imo.

Perhaps we PM each other? I can't respond until late but you want to do that? Or you feel the subject closed?

Reaction Score
You are missing my point completely taking it too literal imo.

Perhaps we PM each other? I can't respond until late but you want to do that? Or you feel the subject closed?
I am merely introducing a different angle, regardless of probability. Not addressing your point directly on Iowa. On the others, long posts on these boards with multiple points and I cherry-picked to introduce a different view. That's why I said we were drifting towards a longer discourse needed more clarity of points.

How do you do PM? I am new to these boards and I am only here this often now because of the tournament. I will disappear after the NC or before, if UConn bows out before then.

I don't visit that much during the season and didn't start here until not too long ago.....maybe next year, for some OOC games.

UConn women is the only team I follow now along with the current Warriors. Used to live in Boston and started watching Russell with the Jones boys and the Celtics in the Garden. Also keenly watched Wooden's UCLA teams.

It has been their style of play.....these also happen to be winning teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom