Credit to Spanos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Credit to Spanos

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is that Edsall was playing the long game and trying to redshirt him. Besides Edsall never loved playing fast Always wanted to shorten the game for the defense. Tyler’s raw but so much better than Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis

Shows you how clueless to reality Edsall had become if that was his mindset. He had run out of time to “play the long game” and needed to show some kind of tangible progress NOW.

The comical thing is that his stubborn foolishness that contributed in his removal 2 games into the season has now turned out to be the best thing for the “long game” for the program.

A paradox wrapped in an enigma!

Reaction Score
I think it's simply that Edsall has no clue how to handle the QB position. Even in RE 1.0 when the qb play was more competent (and obviously orlovsky era was a strength), there was constant switching back and forth, and making weird decisions. It's not just Tyler Phommachanh, Jack Zergiotis was clearly the 3rd best qb, at best, and it wasn't even close

Reaction Score
That’s the thing I don’t understand. Why on earth would Edsall bury Tyler Phommachanh down on scout team and not give him the opportunity to play? He had a gem there and for some reason deliberately didn’t play him.
I’m not sure Edsall was the prime recruiter for Pommachanh. Same thing with Krajewski, Lashlee recruited Steven Krajewski and was the one who made the home visit and convinced Steve to come all the way up to Storrs. The only QB that I know RE recruited was Jack Zergiotis. He wanted to show everyone he was in charge, scoring touchdowns be damned.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. Especially if Mazzone can be his OC. I'm very impressed with Mazzone. If the players rally around Spanos and Mazzone and the team continues to improve they might end up setting the bar pretty high for the next coach.

Interview the best candidates and then make your choice, but maybe, just maybe Spanos/Mazzone ends up winning the interview and the job. To rule this possibility out completely would just be outright foolish.

One thing we can't tolerate is another coach coming in here and telling us it's a "full tear down, 3 year rebuild" Fluck that. Find a way to win some games with the current talent or don't even apply for the job and if Spanos is that guy then he is the guy (period)
It’s a big if, but if we can get Morehead as HC, keep Mazzone as OC, keep Spanos as DC, that combination of coaching talent could definitely put points on the board. Of course it would be up to JM, and it’s always possible he’d want to bring in his own people. I’d also keep Rose as a graduate assistant if he wants it. When Tyler Coyle, Keiyon Dickson, Cam DeGeorge and a few other key players transferred that hurt the team a lot. If Lashlee had hung around I’m convinced they’d still be here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s a big if, but if we can get Morehead as HC, keep Mazzone as OC, keep Spanos as DC, that combination of coaching talent could definitely put points on the board. Of course it would be up to JM, and it’s always possible he’d want to bring in his own people. I’d also keep Rose as a graduate assistant if he wants it.
No one is getting retained nor should they. The next coach is going to want as much distance from the stink of the Edsall Regime as he can possibly get. Spanos and Mazzone are good minds. They'll get analyst jobs somewhere. The rest of the staff is going to really have to work for their next opportunity.

Reaction Score
No one is getting retained nor should they. The next coach is going to want as much distance from the stink of the Edsall Regime as he can possibly get. Spanos and Mazzone are good minds. They'll get analyst jobs somewhere. The rest of the staff is going to really have to work for their next opportunity.
Well then I guess you wouldn’t want Morehead either as he was part of the Edsall regime, Edsall hired him. Mazzone has no connection with Edsall whatsoever, DB hired him. I did say in my post that if JM was hired, any retention of a coach would be up to him.

Reaction Score
If morehead is coaching, he’ll be calling plays.

Speaking of Moorhead, the offense we were running yesterday is very much like the offense Moorhead ran with Nebrich at Fordham. If you are a Moorhead guy you have to be impressed with Mazzone.

Something we hopefully learned from 2011 is that if you have a qualified candidate in house it's OK to hire the in house candidate. If we had hired Moorhead in 2011 the nightmare of the last eleven years would have never happened.

Reaction Score
Well then I guess you wouldn’t want Morehead either as he was part of the Edsall regime, Edsall hired him. Mazzone has no connection with Edsall whatsoever, DB hired him. I did say in my post that if JM was hired, any retention of a coach would be up to him.
I didn't realize that Moorhead was a part of the boondoggle that was Edsall 2.0. I understand that Mazzone has no connection to Randy, however it doesn't change the fact that he is essentially a band-aid on a gun shot wound applied by AD Dave to make up for the complete lack of offensive brain trust Randy assembled.

No coach worth a damn is retaining anyone from a team that has won Less than 10 games in 5 years. Please explain to me why you would even advocate for it? Spanos is clearly a nice guy, however as DC his defense was giving up massive amounts of yards and points. You want that to continue? Clean break from the last few years including this one is desperately needed.

Your post is a perfect example of this strange fascination of Uconn Fans who seem to think that the most important prerequisite to hiring Uconn Football Coaches is did they ever coach at Uconn? If no, did they ever step foot in New England? There are tons of bright young offensive Head Coaches at The FCS and G5 Level to consider as well as those in the OC Ranks. Despite that the two names that come up first and second as HC are Moorhead and Lashlee. One isn't coming and the other isn't even worth discussing. Guys like Spanos or Mazzone shouldn't even be on the radar for staff positions.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’m really disappointed he is “succeeding” (aka getting way more from this team than FHCRE2.0).

We need to go out and hire someone external with an offensive background to turn this thing around long term. But Spanos could play his team into the “safe choice” for AD David Benedict if he continues to move the team in this direction.

p.s. I’m not actually disappointed at all. He has this team watchable again for the first time in 4 years. But we do need an external hire with a good track record as HC.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Moorhead, the offense we were running yesterday is very much like the offense Moorhead ran with Nebrich at Fordham. If you are a Moorhead guy you have to be impressed with Mazzone.

Something we hopefully learned from 2011 is that if you have a qualified candidate in house it's OK to hire the in house candidate. If we had hired Moorhead in 2011 the nightmare of the last eleven years would have never happened.
Hathaway was clueless on football, he never would’ve hired Morehead. Best thing Mr Burton ever did for UConn besides all the donations was having Hathaway fired.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that Moorhead was a part of the boondoggle that was Edsall 2.0. I understand that Mazzone has no connection to Randy, however it doesn't change the fact that he is essentially a band-aid on a gun shot wound applied by AD Dave to make up for the complete lack of offensive brain trust Randy assembled.

Guys like Spanos or Mazzone shouldn't even be on the radar for staff positions.
Well I guess, judging from the way we played yesterday, at least that “bandaid” stopped the bleeding. I hope you’re not saying Benedict was at fault for all this. Benedict never wanted to rehire Edsall in the first place. You don’t have a clue about football, go back to the basketball board. Nice pat on the back you gave Spanos and Mazzone. You should put one of your bandaids on your mouth.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Credit to Spanos indeed. From what I hear the kids really like everything he is doing. New positive at atmosphere is extremely welcome.

Yesterday was a big step in a new direction. Lots more to be done, but now -for once- we are seeing both players and play calling improve.

Vanderbilt maybe awful, but we will need everything we got next week. I’m sure Vandy, hungry for a win, will deliver a big effort.

Reaction Score
Look, we're hiring a new HC--not retaining and elevating anyone on this staff. The new HC gets to pick his staff. If he decides to retain any ass't that's his choice. As for the benefit of having Mazzone on board--even for two weeks, it's affirms just how absurd it was to think (due in part to budget issues) that OL coach Giufre would be acceptable at the OC spot. For while exceptions certainly exist, most times in life you get what you pay for. That's why the budget for the new regime will be more than most anticipate. The reality has been made clear to most of the decision makers. No halfway measures will right this ship. And that makes me more of an optimist than delusional.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is that Edsall was playing the long game and trying to redshirt him. Besides Edsall never loved playing fast Always wanted to shorten the game for the defense. Tyler’s raw but so much better than Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis
He is so much better than Steven Krajewski? Guess I don't see it in performance in these two games. Steven Krajewski played so poorly that bar is very low for being better. Here are the QBR ratings for UConn's 4 FCS games with the opponents rating also. Not sure what the ratings cover but they must be some type of indication of good or bad play with higher numbers being better.

Fresno State - Jack Zergiotis 17.7 opponent 58.5
Purdue - Steven Krajewski 43.3 opponent 94.9
Army - Tyler Phommachanh 15.3 opponent 94.0
Wyoming - Tyler Phommachanh 37.6 opponent 31.8

As additional info Jack Zergiotis QBR against HC was 5.0; don't think have ever seen a single digit number for a QB who played a whole game. Stats are from ESPN.

So whatever the QBR ratings mean Steven Krajewski in the 1st game after HCRE2.0 getting the boot, Spanos's 1st game ever as head coach and without the "offensive consultant" who has put some deception in UConn's play calling - had a better rating than either of Tyler Phommachanh's games. And Purdue's defense is at least as good as Army and Wyoming (although Tyler Phommachanh had to face Wyoming's 1st string defense the whole game).

Several points. It makes no sense that HCRE2.0 could have picked Jack Zergiotis as starting QB. Tyler Phommachanh may be "so much better" than Jack Zergiotis (at least the Jack Zergiotis of the 1st two games this year) but has not shown out as so much better than Steven Krajewski.

Tyler Phommachanh seems more mobile and had rushing yards of 60 and 14 in two games but Steven Krajewski was leading UConn rusher against Purdue with 42 yards.

The "eye" test is whatever you see. I see Steven Krajewski as better/more accurate passer and throws less into danger balls (very important to me in QB), mobile enough but not as quick as Tyler Phommachanh. Does Tyler Phommachanh rally the troops better, "make plays", etc. I can't tell.

Not saying go to Steven Krajewski when he's ok again (although I would), just saying Tyler Phommachanh's performance to date (not saying his upside) is not "so much better" than Steven Krajewski's.

Reaction Score
Well I guess, judging from the way we played yesterday, at least that “bandaid” stopped the bleeding. I hope you’re not saying Benedict was at fault for all this. Benedict never wanted to rehire Edsall in the first place. You don’t have a clue about football, go back to the basketball board. Nice pat on the back you gave Spanos and Mazzone. You should put one of your bandaids on your mouth.
I could GAF about basketball, and every time you respond it reveals just a bit more. Let’s see if we can keep Cory on staff along with your dream staff of Spanos and Mazzone. I heard he’s a great recruiter LOL

Reaction Score
I could GAF about basketball, and every time you respond it reveals just a bit more. Let’s see if we can keep Cory on staff along with your dream staff of Spanos and Mazzone. I heard he’s a great recruiter LOL

If we fire the current staff to bring in a better staff the decision makers better get it right this time. A lot of us like what we saw yesterday, the fear is the people doing the hiring are still the same clowns who whiffed on the last three hires.

Reaction Score
That's why the budget for the new regime will be more than most anticipate.

This does nothing for me. PP was given a substantial amount of money to burn the place down. Diaco was given a substantial amount of money to burn the place down. Giving a lot of money to idiots just makes wealthy idiots.

Tell me what is different about the qualifications we are looking for this time around.

The new coach better have a recent history of high scoring offenses and winning football games. Find that person or just keep the current staff for another year on a trial/prove it type contract we gave Ollie in 2012.

Learn from history or be doomed to repeating it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He is so much better than Steven Krajewski? Guess I don't see it in performance in these two games. Steven Krajewski played so poorly that bar is very low for being better. Here are the QBR ratings for UConn's 4 FCS games with the opponents rating also. Not sure what the ratings cover but they must be some type of indication of good or bad play with higher numbers being better.

Fresno State - Jack Zergiotis 17.7 opponent 58.5
Purdue - Steven Krajewski 43.3 opponent 94.9
Army - Tyler Phommachanh 15.3 opponent 94.0
Wyoming - Tyler Phommachanh 37.6 opponent 31.8

As additional info Jack Zergiotis QBR against HC was 5.0; don't think have ever seen a single digit number for a QB who played a whole game. Stats are from ESPN.

So whatever the QBR ratings mean Steven Krajewski in the 1st game after HCRE2.0 getting the boot, Spanos's 1st game ever as head coach and without the "offensive consultant" who has put some deception in UConn's play calling - had a better rating than either of Tyler Phommachanh's games. And Purdue's defense is at least as good as Army and Wyoming (although Tyler Phommachanh had to face Wyoming's 1st string defense the whole game).

Several points. It makes no sense that HCRE2.0 could have picked Jack Zergiotis as starting QB. Tyler Phommachanh may be "so much better" than Jack Zergiotis (at least the Jack Zergiotis of the 1st two games this year) but has not shown out as so much better than Steven Krajewski.

Tyler Phommachanh seems more mobile and had rushing yards of 60 and 14 in two games but Steven Krajewski was leading UConn rusher against Purdue with 42 yards.

The "eye" test is whatever you see. I see Steven Krajewski as better/more accurate passer and throws less into danger balls (very important to me in QB), mobile enough but not as quick as Tyler Phommachanh. Does Tyler Phommachanh rally the troops better, "make plays", etc. I can't tell.

Not saying go to Steven Krajewski when he's ok again (although I would), just saying Tyler Phommachanh's performance to date (not saying his upside) is not "so much better" than Steven Krajewski's.
Hey RE wanted a QB that wasn’t afraid of making mistakes. Oops

Reaction Score
If we fire the current staff to bring in a better staff the decision makers better get it right this time. A lot of us like what we saw yesterday, the fear is the people doing the hiring are still the same clowns who whiffed on the last three hires.
I’m a big fan of Dave Benedict, think he is the best AD since Toner. I’m confident he will make as good a choice as he did when he hired Hurley, and I hope the BOT will go along it. People forget that against his better judgment, DB had to go along with hiring Randy 2.0. If he was calling the shots back then, I don’t think Edsall would have gotten the job. So to a certain degree, the “same clowns” are not doing the hiring this time around.

Reaction Score
Ok :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom