Credit to Spanos | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Credit to Spanos

Reaction Score
Wait - are you asserting that the AD had no say on who was hired? Interesting. So safe to say the same goes for the hiring of Hurley?
Possible consideration: In a financially challenged athletic department, perhaps accessing significant dinero to jettison Wacko Diaco was different than sending Oystahs Ollie on his way at lesser cost.
AD DB may have had far more influence in hiring DH vs needing to appease donors to enable ditching Wacko in exchange for re-hiring EXHCRE, e.g., less say on who was hired.

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh is clearly the future, so regardless of what you think of the other two, getting him reps for the future is the best . . . even if one of the other two guys could slightly help the team play better this year.
The only question I would ask is that if you have a more than capable QB in Steven Krajewski why would you burn Tyler Phommachanh’s redshirt in a season that is 0-4?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The only question I would ask is that if you have a more than capable QB in Steven Krajewski why would you burn Tyler Phommachanh’s redshirt in a season that is 0-4?
Because the program is on life support and you have to play the players now that give you the best chance to win. Because QB is a high turnover position and the quarterbacks you have today probably won't be here for their full eligibility...so why protect their redshirt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nailed it....FWIW, here's my long take... I believe this to be true, for the last 3 HC's in a row. Coaches playing the 5 year plan and control game, more to protect their jobs and make sure nobody underneath them is a threat.
They are called hacks. Job 1 for the hack is staying employed. A common ploy is to run the most experienced players off while stating you "only want players that want to be here" all the time pleading for patience. We need to hire someone who sees the job as a stepping stone. Someone who will care about wins more than burrowing in.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
ABSOLUTELY NO ATTACK on you personally. :)
I also like DB but please do supply a link showing how he hired RE against his better judgement. Nowhere have I ever read the hire was forced on him. He praised getting Randy back to the max. Then when things were in doubt a few years later gave him just as much praise and support.
To my original point please show something showing DB was reluctant to hiring Randy. He was all in on everything I had read and smiling ear to ear as he introduced him at the introduction party. I get AD's are salesmen but most believe in the product they are selling. Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm not defending or agreeing with the premise that RE2.0 was forced on AD David Benedict, but I wanted to note that everything you're saying AD David Benedict did is what he would/should do regardless if he wanted the hire or not. Had he not done so, the conspiracy theory crowd would have had a field day.
Keep in mind AD David Benedict gave RE2.0 an extension 1 year before firing him. Why? Because it was the right thing to do for the program in terms of confirming to recruits that our coach was staying. I think it's safe to say that a year ago when he got the extension that AD David Benedict wasn't sure it was working out. But, he smiled, said the right things, and gave RE2.0 an extension.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that left to his own devices Benedict lands on HCRE 2.0. It's so makes so much more sense that those writing checks wanted to go with what they knew after Diaco. Maybe that's why I haven't heard much blame thrown at him for the atrocious hire. The reason for the paucity of links is probably because there is nothing to be gained by throwing checkwriters under the bus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that left to his own devices Benedict lands on HCRE 2.0. It's so makes so much more sense that those writing checks wanted to go with what they knew after Diaco. Maybe that's why I haven't heard much blame thrown at him for the atrocious hire. The reason for the paucity of links is probably because there is nothing to be gained by throwing checkwriters under the bus.

This, plus a combination of (a) Randy playing for a low salary and (b) Randy saying all the right things about just building a foundation and then moving on. I am sure he thought he could do it. By not embracing transfers as a path to semi-competence he was destined to fail at even his modest goals.

Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that left to his own devices Benedict lands on HCRE 2.0. It's so makes so much more sense that those writing checks wanted to go with what they knew after Diaco.
True, I was talking to some of the Uconn FB alum, right after RE came back. The way they put it was after Diaco, "they were happy to have a grown-up in charge".

Reaction Score
Since taking over the reins from FHCRE, Spanos has performed a miracle transformation. Previously the Huskies were a lethargic group of individuals that seemed to be just going through the motions for 60 minutes. Since the insertion of Tyler P. & other underclassmen at so many positions. we are seeing actual team play & improvement. I'm convinced that victories are forthcoming, maybe as soon as Saturday. The growth of this team is actually giving incentive to watch further. It reminds of the FHCRE1.0 team that ultimately put on a winning streak to end its season. If Spanos can get a win & then string a few more together, it's going to make the next head coach's job much easier. At the very least, Spanos' teaching ability & decision making has greatly improved his job resume!

Reaction Score
Since taking over the reins from FHCRE, Spanos has performed a miracle transformation. Previously the Huskies were a lethargic group of individuals that seemed to be just going through the motions for 60 minutes. Since the insertion of Tyler P. & other underclassmen at so many positions. we are seeing actual team play & improvement. I'm convinced that victories are forthcoming, maybe as soon as Saturday. The growth of this team is actually giving incentive to watch further. It reminds of the FHCRE1.0 team that ultimately put on a winning streak to end its season. If Spanos can get a win & then string a few more together, it's going to make the next head coach's job much easier. At the very least, Spanos' teaching ability & decision making has greatly improved his job resume!
If Coach Spanos gets some wins, he should get a serious look as permanent head coach for at least another season. Maybe we have the answer right in front of us.

Reaction Score
If Coach Spanos gets some wins, he should get a serious look as permanent head coach for at least another season. Maybe we have the answer right in front of us.
This will be unpopular with many here, but I agree. If he is winning and making the team better, you have to take him seriously. It goes without saying, he’s doing a great job right now.

Reaction Score
This, plus a combination of (a) Randy playing for a low salary and (b) Randy saying all the right things about just building a foundation and then moving on. I am sure he thought he could do it. By not embracing transfers as a path to semi-competence he was destined to fail at even his modest goals.
Yeah it's my understanding that we needed to get rid of Diaco, and to do so the buyout had to be paid out ASAP. So DB went to the donor(s) and said look guys what do we need to do to get that done. One of the conditions was essentially hire Randy.

If the choice was Diaco v Randy then DB made the right choice, even if it didn't work out. From his perspective I'm sure he thought it couldn't get worse, Randy had a good eye for talent, runs a clean program, and could get us to build back a foundation. All while doing it on the cheap which allowed us to free up money elsewhere (which I'm sure also helped get us out of the AAC). Randy's experience running the program as an Independent in the past probably also helped make that decision easier.

It didn't work out but it made sense at the time. I don't know if all of this is true but these are things I've been told.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Great effort last week. Lets get a W as our next step; either this week or next. Spanos is off to a nice start, but lets face it - we need some Ws to validate a real turn.

About Edsall; Its amazing to hear how execution task master Edsall never looked in the mirror. I contend he has been flawed for sometime about his entire approach when he mistook his rigid methods for creating the 1.0 era success story when in fact it was as much about the Danny O lift as anything else.

Reaction Score
About Edsall; Its amazing to hear how execution task master Edsall never looked in the mirror. I contend he has been flawed for sometime about his entire approach
You ain't kiddin !!! .......and it ain't just us Husky fans alone in that thought, for years

Reaction Score
Yeah it's my understanding that we needed to get rid of Diaco, and to do so the buyout had to be paid out ASAP. So DB went to the donor(s) and said look guys what do we need to do to get that done. One of the conditions was essentially hire Randy.

If the choice was Diaco v Randy then DB made the right choice, even if it didn't work out. From his perspective I'm sure he thought it couldn't get worse, Randy had a good eye for talent, runs a clean program, and could get us to build back a foundation. All while doing it on the cheap which allowed us to free up money elsewhere (which I'm sure also helped get us out of the AAC). Randy's experience running the program as an Independent in the past probably also helped make that decision easier.

It didn't work out but it made sense at the time. I don't know if all of this is true but these are things I've been told.
I essentially heard the same thing, that DB had to hire Randy even if he didn’t want to. Several people in the athletic department and others associated with the football team, did not want to rehire the guy that left on a different plane after the Fiesta Bowl and flew straight to Maryland.

Reaction Score
I want to see how the kids continue to rally around Spanos in the coming weeks. Sign me up if they keep on punching up and fight for the full 60 minutes against Clemson, UCF, and Houston.

Reaction Score
I'm not defending or agreeing with the premise that RE2.0 was forced on AD David Benedict, but I wanted to note that everything you're saying AD David Benedict did is what he would/should do regardless if he wanted the hire or not. Had he not done so, the conspiracy theory crowd would have had a field day.
Keep in mind AD David Benedict gave RE2.0 an extension 1 year before firing him. Why? Because it was the right thing to do for the program in terms of confirming to recruits that our coach was staying. I think it's safe to say that a year ago when he got the extension that AD David Benedict wasn't sure it was working out. But, he smiled, said the right things, and gave RE2.0 an extension.
Pretty easy to give an extension with no remaining buyout to pay.

AD DB has put his imprint on MBB with Hurley, on facilities with Werth, the new rink and the beautiful BB, SB and soccer complex all while navigating through three Presidents. Now he gets to do the same with football.

I'd say he's got good tailwinds and will have a ton of support from the Board, administration and donors.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Spanos seems like a nice enough guy but can we set our sights a little higher than a first time HC who is helping us lose by less? If new guy wants to keep him as DC, that’s great.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Pretty easy to give an extension with no remaining buyout to pay.
Completely agree. Could have gave him a lifetime contract for all I care, as long as the buyout wasn't extended.

Reaction Score
I essentially heard the same thing, that DB had to hire Randy even if he didn’t want to. Several people in the athletic department and others associated with the football team, did not want to rehire the guy that left on a different plane after the Fiesta Bowl and flew straight to Maryland.
It would certainly explain why no one local has ever really given Dave crap over the hire.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That was the canary in the coal mine. Never mind not embracing them, he all but called them losers. What a washed-up hack.
I viewed Edsall's pursuit of Dunn and Dunn's desperation to run away to the Jets as the canary for me. Dunn was handed the OC title and named heir apparently and he runs? Only one good reason to run and I think we know that reason now. And then Edsall searches high and low and all he can come up with is to elevate his nice guy OL lifer?

Reaction Score

Oh Good lord.

Reaction Score
My standard would be pretty high. Win the next 4 and 1 of the last 3. Spanos is a knowlegeable coach, but these types of feel good hires usually don’t work out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom