Cox commits to Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cox commits to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Regarding Baylor's future: Per Rebecca Lobo, Nina Davis is eligible to go pro after this year (age). Nina went to HS at an urban school in Memphis. I hope she stays and gets her degree, but circumstances may impel her to make the jump early.

I love Davis and think she is a spectacular college talent but I am not sure she is WNBA material at this point. She better start working on her outside shot or she will not last past training camp. Her athleticism and hustle won't beat out bigger players at the pro level.

Reaction Score
Even if Baylor lands two from their remaining guard targets (Chou, Wilson, Gondrezick), I don't think they have the roster for a national championship. But I imagine they have a good chance at landing either Alexis Morris or Chasity Patterson from 2017 (both PG's ranked top 5 by PN), which seems like it should elevate them to national championship contender level.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Baylor's front line will consist of 6-7 Brown, 6-4 Mompremier and 6-4 Cox. I'm not sure which team will be bigger than that. Cox won't be going it alone in the paint. At this point UCONN really has only one true big for 2016-2017, from what I can see.
Brown is 6' 7"? In heels?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Even if Baylor lands two from their remaining guard targets (Chou, Wilson, Gondrezick), I don't think they have the roster for a national championship. But I imagine they have a good chance at landing either Alexis Morris or Chasity Patterson from 2017 (both PG's ranked top 5 by PN), which seems like it should elevate them to national championship contender level.

2016-17 will be up for grabs and Baylor will be on of the teams grabbing. I agree with a previous post that there will be multiple teams that could win it all.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Haha, yeah, I noticed she was upgraded to 6'7" from 6'5"-6'6" on their roster and it raised my eyebrow a bit, too.

There was a report that she grew after her senior year, even before she hit the Baylor campus. And that report came from her mom. Baylor does not have a reputation of fudging the heights of its players. BG was never listed at more than 6-8.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor will be mighty good next year. Here's an off hand lineup/depth chart prediction:
C: Khadijiah Cave
F: Nina Davis
F: Lauren Cox
G: Alexis Jones
G: Kristy Wallace
Bench:
Beatrice Mompremier
Kalani Brown
Alexis Prince

If the incoming posts are as good as their fans are hoping, Baylor is going to be very very difficult to match up with come 2016-17. It should be the most competitive year in women's college basketball since 2008 with Connecticut, Baylor, Tennessee, South Carolina, Texas, Notre Dame, Duke, Louisville and others having incredibly stacked rosters.

I think Mompremier will be the starting center before the end of this season. And don't forget Cohen. She is going to have a big sophomore season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Doesn't every team? It would take getting Chou and maybe one of the other guards that Baylor still has a shot at (Chou, Wilson, Gondrezick) to put them at UCONN goodness. Baylor already has a commit from "Juicy" Landrum, number 26 on Orangutan's composite rankings.
First of all Baylor with all that height in the post is great but you can only play one post player at a time. Its not like the other post players can play guard, or be a threat from the outside like Katie Lou and Stewie and Tuck. They are post players. For any team including Baylor to compete with UConn they have to build a program with a nucleus that incoming classes can feed off. Even with Cox who is a very good player and some of the kids that might end up at Baylor they still need to build chemistry, continuity, leadership and share the ball. That takes years. A famous quote I never forgot. It takes 20 years to be an overnite sensation. Baylor may be good but not in UConns league. No team is and until a team can duplicate what Geno has done well it aint happenin. Congrats on landing Cox and all those post players. Hopefully Kim will schedule UConn again. I think most fans weren't counting on Cox coming to UConn. With all that UConn has to offer she wanted to stay close to home. That played a lot in her decision. IMO if Baylor won one NC with Griner I wouldn't get my hopes up to high.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
First of all Baylor with all that height in the post is great but you can only play one post player at a time. Its not like the other post players can play guard, or be a threat from the outside like Katie Lou and Stewie and Tuck. They are post players. For any team including Baylor to compete with UConn they have to build a program with a nucleus that incoming classes can feed off. Even with Cox who is a very good player and some of the kids that might end up at Baylor they still need to build chemistry, continuity, leadership and share the ball. That takes years. A famous quote I never forgot. It takes 20 years to be an overnite sensation. Baylor may be good but not in UConns league. No team is and until a team can duplicate what Geno has done well it aint happenin. Congrats on landing Cox and all those post players. Hopefully Kim will schedule UConn again.

I think that it is well established by the last three championships that nobody is in UCONN's league.

Reaction Score
Word is Morris and Richards are both going there. A lot of people assumed Richards would go back to Texas but I'm hearing Baylor has come on real strong.

Chou is also leaning towards Baylor, so it would be interesting to watch two 6'2 guards out there with those post players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Baylor doesn't win a championship that is fine. We are still lucky to have such a wonderful role model and nice young woman in a Baylor uniform and will enjoy watching her display her skills on the basketball court just as much.

Reaction Score
Okay... sad to see that it did not happen... Now we set our sights on Megan Walker.... which we all have been watching....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
She followed her heart and that's where it took her.
Good for her.
May she be happy and get all she wants from her college experience – on and off the court.
Now onto women who want to come to UConn.

Reaction Score
Well, we all (I hope) wish her the best.

There are many top recruits that we don't get but most times I accept it because I rationalize that they were probably not really meant for our program. (That's how I thought of DD, and watching her perform at UNC confirmed for me that she would have been a tough fit here).

But here on the BY I went from declaring early in the summer that "she won't come here" to becoming genuinely interested in seeing her wearing Huskie blue. I agree with Adesmar; it will be interesting to see what Kim does with her and the quality recruits that she has accumulated, with possibly more to come (ETT's comment).

So now we all re-orient and look to '17-'18 for another big to follow Natalie. Those of you with the inside information that regularly educates the rest of us, where are we looking now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom