Cox commits to Baylor | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cox commits to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
same results... wonder why the game stopped being played

Come on Daddy, they, like Walz were waiting till they got players on their team that they thought (hoped) could beat UConn. That is why once Walz got the. Player he really wanted,he decided to play us again. Same with Baylor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We're going to be thin at guard next year. We'll have Nurse and? KLS isn't a guard. Dangerfield best case looks like Mo in her freshman year (in other words, not that good), Chong should be serviceable, we'll see what we're going to get from her in a few weeks, and Gabby the jury is still out as she hasn't played guard regularly in 3 years.
Lets see. IF you are not going to count KLS, Williams and Ekmark (or Lawler or Pulido). Then this year we'll have Jefferson, Nurse and Chong.
Next year we'll have Nurse, Chong, Dangerfield and Bent. How are we thinner?

Reaction Score
Next year will look very different without Stewart, Jefferson and possibly Tuck. But UCONN just reloads so I doubt that those three would be missed at all.
Right, Trash, UConn does reload, but those three will definitely be missed. Years 16-17 and 17-18 are years when Baylor will have a great shot at an NC, although I expect UConn to be in the Final Four both years.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Lets see. IF you are not going to count KLS, Williams and Ekmark (or Lawler or Pulido). Then this year we'll have Jefferson, Nurse and Chong.
Next year we'll have Nurse, Chong, Dangerfield and Bent. How are we thinner?
Perhaps there is inside information that they are all going to lose weight?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What has made Davis a scintillating performer is her unique nose for where the BB is going to be and where she should position herself to maximize her play and do the most damage. Like thinking 5 moves ahead in chess.

You'd think that that attribute is common but actually it is quite rare...something akin to the unique skills that Louis Armstrong brought to Jazz and is the very trait that allows Kiah to snatch so many boards and get so many blocks.

That god-given ability will translate very well to the pros despite other perceived weaknesses.
It is still very difficult for an undersized power forward to make it in the WNBA - Barb Turner comes to mind. Part of the issue is the consistently taller competition who don't need to have as good a nose because they have a significantly wider catch radius and are getting boards above the height where the shorter players can compete.

I think she is a great player, but her future WNBA career is not guaranteed without a better mid-range game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Right, Trash, UConn does reload, but those three will definitely be missed. Years 16-17 and 17-18 are years when Baylor will have a great shot at an NC, although I expect UConn to be in the Final Four both years.

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I said that. Those three are going to be hard to replace as they are one of the greatest classes in UCONN and NCAA history.

Reaction Score
You always want every top player to play at UConn, but it is just not right for everyone (see EDD, Wilson, and now Cox). It is unfortunate, as she looked to be a great fit for us, in terms of both attitude and skills. We still have plenty of quality young women. Can't wait for the season to begin.

Reaction Score
Should anyone be surprised? It was a wild wish from the very outset- I really doubted that we were in the play. If TX can hold on to their players the TX schools will be a force to handle. This is not an occasion to bash Baylor and it's coach- she is very good. She will have a team that can take her to the top of the mountain. We will see how the parts fall into place. As for Uconn, we have struck out a few times on bigs and that is a worry, especially when others have more then they can use. I would give a lot to know what the coaches have cooking. I seriously doubt that Geno and the others were expecting a positive call.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am certainly not surprised and I wish Cox well. Was a nice dream to have her come to Uconn as she sounds like a fine player and person.

What does somewhat surprise me is Baylor recruiting - they got into a situation that required at least one defection this year by accepting two posts in 2015, while I am sure they felt pretty good about Cox in 2016. They are now stacked at post/forward with three in adjacent classes, and wonder if they may have created a little conflict further down the line. They have a large roster which may get even larger as they are still pursuing at least two guards for 2016. Interesting situation, not necessarily bad, just interesting.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I am certainly not surprised and I wish Cox well. Was a nice dream to have her come to Uconn as she sounds like a fine player and person.

What does somewhat surprise me is Baylor recruiting - they got into a situation that required at least one defection this year by accepting two posts in 2015, while I am sure they felt pretty good about Cox in 2016. They are now stacked at post/forward with three in adjacent classes, and wonder if they may have created a little conflict further down the line. They have a large roster which may get even larger as they are still pursuing at least two guards for 2016. Interesting situation, not necessarily bad, just interesting.

It's actually 4 in the last two classes if you count 6'3 Justis Szczepanski, who I hope was not planning on playing big minutes. For next year, they are at 13 by my count, including Landrum and Cox, which is a good number. And if Mulkey doesn't mind a big roster still some room for another top player, like Chou perhaps.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's actually 4 in the last two classes if you count 6'3 Justis Szczepanski, who I hope was not planning on playing big minutes. For next year, they are at 13 by my count, including Landrum and Cox, which is a good number. And if Mulkey doesn't mind a big roster still some room for another top player, like Chou perhaps.

Word from practices is that Justis Szczepanski is the surprise of the class. After next Tuesday I will get a look for myself and I hope that I am pleasantly surprised.

If Chou wants to commit to Baylor Mulkey will take her. She has been recruiting this kid hard for quite a while. A lot of people also think that Mulkey will take Kyrse Gondrezick, whose mom Mulkey coached at LaTech. Baylor will have four more scholarships for 2017 so we can go with a smaller class that season if we want to pare down the roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diamonds are a girl's best friend. You can never have enough rings or friends(aka teammates) who can help you get them.
Yup, it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring (apologies to Marylin Monroe). At least LC got a blow pop ring :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Glad she went elsewhere. It's good for the game.
I can't understand this kind of thinking, how is it good for the Game that Lauren signed with Baylor? Good for Lauren & good for Baylor absolutely, had she come to UCONN and was part of continuing WCBB greatness that would have been equally good for WCBB IMO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can't understand this kind of thinking, how is it good for the Game that Lauren signed with Baylor? Good for Lauren & good for Baylor absolutely, had she come to UCONN and was part of continuing WCBB greatness that would have been equally good for WCBB IMO.

Makes sense to me. ;)

Reaction Score
What most people perceive as the problem with wcbb is that there isn't enough challengers for us specifically. As much as I like seeing the ladies hoist the trophy every year. the women's game needs more elite teams or atleast the elites to be evenly stacked.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What most people perceive as the problem with wcbb is that there isn't enough challengers for us specifically. As much as I like seeing the ladies hoist the trophy every year. the women's game needs more elite teams or atleast the elites to be evenly stacked.
Evenly stacked & more elite teams sounds like "parity", parity sounds like mediocre, mediocre sounds like a rehashing of the very old "UCONN dominance is bad for WCBB". I never tire of the best/same team hoisting the trophy- isn't that the point. As TI would say:

I don't want no Mediocre!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this talk about UConn having the best players and that's why they win. UConn Wins because they have the best team . When KML Tuck and Hartley went down with injuries UConn beat 5 top teams on the road. UConn lost some of their top players and won. When Diana led UConn over Tenn with Strother Battle Jess Moore Maria Conlon Tenn had much more talent and lost. During the Griner period UConn won 2 NC Baylor 1. Why is this all true? Because UConn has a team and does not play one on one. UConn is unselfish and disciplined more then other teams. True UConn has more talent this year and last season. However in Genos system he can plug players in who can run their stuff and its about the team not about one or two individual players. So all these teams thinking they can beat UConn because they have talent well your in for a big wakeup. Its not about the players its about the team executing on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
All this talk about UConn having the best players and that's why they win. UConn Wins because they have the best team . When KML Tuck and Hartley went down with injuries UConn beat 5 top teams on the road. UConn lost some of their top players and won. When Diana led UConn over Tenn with Strother Battle Jess Moore Maria Conlon Tenn had much more talent and lost. During the Griner period UConn won 2 NC Baylor 1. Why is this all true? Because UConn has a team and does not play one on one. UConn is unselfish and disciplined more then other teams. True UConn has more talent this year and last season. However in Genos system he can plug players in who can run their stuff and its about the team not about one or two individual players. So all these teams thinking they can beat UConn because they have talent well your in for a big wakeup. Its not about the players its about the team executing on both sides of the ball.

Great post. I agree 100%. We'll witness in the 2016-17 season if this theory will hold true. Especially with losing Stewart and Jefferson.

Reaction Score
Wanted her...didn't get her...very impressed with her maturity through the whole process, as she didn't play games about it. In the final analysis, happy for her to stay true to her heart and be close to home and friends. Hope she has a great career, and a lifetime of memories.

Reaction Score
Baylor's front line will consist of 6-7 Brown, 6-4 Mompremier and 6-4 Cox. I'm not sure which team will be bigger than that. Cox won't be going it alone in the paint. At this point UCONN really has only one true big for 2016-2017, from what I can see.

Absolutely NO surprise Cox's staying home. Very family oriented. We had numerous discussions in the 'yard about this last summer. I give her one...maybe two years at Waco. She won't develop much at BU... she's not as athletic as the other players. Look for her at SMU in a few years. Better fit for her. Wish her the best. BTW, UConn got the best player in that class (Ms Dangerfield). Let the games Begin!!

Reaction Score
Absolutely NO surprise Cox's staying home. Very family oriented. We had numerous discussions in the 'yard about this last summer. I give her one...maybe two years at Waco. She won't develop much at BU... she's not as athletic as the other players. Look for her at SMU in a few years. Better fit for her. Wish her the best. BTW, UConn got the best player in that class (Ms Dangerfield). Let the games Begin!!

Can't pick Dangerfield over Joyner Holmes. Holmes is the real deal. Just watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom