COVID Vaccination | Page 14 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice bit of real world data.

I was more impressed with a 80% effectiveness two weeks after first dose for both Moderna and Pfizer. That alone is much better than flue vaccines.

Biggest thing for me isn't virus prevention, it is reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

Gimme a vaccine that means infection results in a couple of days on the couch to let body fight it off and I'm plenty happy. Anything beyond that is gravy.
Prevention of severe disease is nice, but we ABSOLUTELY need a vaccine that prevents transmission/new infection to break the chain of contagion, so to speak.

The problem with SARS-CoV-2 is that, if we don't/can't get an effective way to effectively extinguish the transmission to mitigate this $^!$#^%!$# pandemic, we run the very real risk of having a variant emerge that the vaccines won't protect us against, and/or a variant that is even more contagious/severe disease causing. We're already seeing it with the B1117 and other variants.

Emergence of a SARS-CoV2--MERS hybrid variant would be a horrible disaster and would make the current pandemic look like a pandemic of the common cold. A highly-contagious, 35% mortality infection? We're talking end of civilization...

Reaction Score
Prevention of severe disease is nice, but we ABSOLUTELY need a vaccine that prevents transmission/new infection to break the chain of contagion, so to speak.

The problem with SARS-CoV-2 is that, if we don't/can't get an effective way to effectively extinguish the transmission to mitigate this $^!$#^%!$# pandemic, we run the very real risk of having a variant emerge that the vaccines won't protect us against, and/or a variant that is even more contagious/severe disease causing. We're already seeing it with the B1117 and other variants.

Emergence of a SARS-CoV2--MERS hybrid variant would be a horrible disaster and would make the current pandemic look like a pandemic of the common cold. A highly-contagious, 35% mortality infection? We're talking end of civilization...
Are you saying we'd be.... doomed?

Reaction Score
SNL hasn't been funny in about 15 years.
Interestingly, people have been saying that for 30 years. I don't know if they forget that it hasn't been funny for a lot longer than they remember, or if it's generational. I find it relatively funny, but don't watch regularly. I record it and go through it quickly, or just watch the stuff that I'm told is funny. I also lean politically in line with them (they make fun of both sides, but clearly lean left). I went to a rehearsal recently and thought it was impressive and interesting to watch it happen and then get refined.

Re the skit in question, I think it was pretty funny. But South Park did it better (and first) a month ago with their vaccination episode.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, people have been saying that for 30 years. I don't know if they forget that it hasn't been funny for a lot longer than they remember, or if it's generational. I find it relatively funny, but don't watch regularly. I record it and go through it quickly, or just watch the stuff that I'm told is funny. I also lean politically in line with them (they make fun of both sides, but clearly lean left). I went to a rehearsal recently and thought it was impressive and interesting to watch it happen and then get refined.

Re the skit in question, I think it was pretty funny. But South Park did it better (and first) a month ago with their vaccination episode.
I mean, people have been saying it since:

1. Chevy Chase left
2. Eddie Murphy left
3. Sandler-Farley left
4. Ferrell and his crew left
5. Wiig and her crew left

And we can go on and on. SNL will always speak mostly to a vaguely interesting 14-21 year old population who think they're being transgressive in watching it. In every single era there have been more interesting and subversive things on the air. But it does it's thing in catching up and comers.

Reaction Score
The earlier generation thought the early 90s and late 90s-early 00s sucked. SNL is sort of a generational thing. That's an okay thing.
Nah, I thought all the old reruns I watched from the 70's pretty much all the way through were hilarious, you would have a couple down years mixed in depending on the cast but it's just brutal now. The older people in my life thought Farley was one of the funniest people ever and loved those years. There's still tons of funny stuff out there all over the place it's just not on that show. I've tried to watch over the years and gave it a bunch of chances the past year since I've been a shut in with the pandemic but it's just so bad.

Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett are funny but barely any of their stuff actually makes it to the Saturday taping. The last truly funny cast members who were in most of the skits were probably Hader, Forte, and Sudekis.

Reaction Score

I'm left/vote Democrat, I think the show is historically lacking in talent but politics have certainly hurt the show, it's just non-stop like all the late night shows. Conan is the only one who seems to stay above the fray.
It may be me, but no late night TV has been funny in at least 15 years.

Reaction Score
Nah, I thought all the old reruns I watched from the 70's pretty much all the way through were hilarious
You misunderstand me. People who liked the Will Ferrell era tended to like it all until that particular era. But there were people who were older who picked date x where it "died." It died for them.

It's entirely possible that the talent and writing is way worse than it's ever been. I haven't watched for years. But your position—and mine—has been a pretty standard position to take regarding the show for people since the late 1970s. So either you, uniquely, are right, and the people who thought the show sucked after the 1970s, mid1980s, early 1990s, early2000s were wrong, or we're just part of the cohort who aged out of its humor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Matter of expectations I guess. It's a virus and I don't expect us to be able to extinguish this any time soon. It's going to he around and it will mutate.

If I had to guess in 2-4 years we'll be getting boosters or a top off for new variants/strains.

Again, IMO, goal is to reduce the amount of damage you get from catching it vice trying to avoid it all together.

Reaction Score
Matter of expectations I guess. It's a virus and I don't expect us to be able to extinguish this any time soon. It's going to he around and it will mutate.

If I had to guess in 2-4 years we'll be getting boosters or a top off for new variants/strains.

Again, IMO, goal is to reduce the amount of damage you get from catching it vice trying to avoid it all together.
I think his point is that unless it is avoided altogether the possible mutations that would arise would not be amenable to vaccination. You really want as low a possibility of infection as is achievable. That's why the majority of people getting on board and not refusing the vaccine is so very important.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think his point is that unless it is avoided altogether the possible mutations that would arise would not be amenable to vaccination. You really want as low a possibility of infection as is achievable. That's why the majority of people getting on board and not refusing the vaccine is so very important.

I think that exaggerates what it is. The flu mutates and we manage it. Every virus mutates. SARs and MERs were vastly more dangerous than SARS-Cov-2. @JustbrewitMan threw out a nightmare scenario of something with that level of lethality and the Covid-19 spread rate, but really that won't happen. If the virus kills the host, that inhibits spread. So far, B.1.1.7 is more easily spread, seems especially to have a high secondary attack rate, but isn't producing worse symptoms in any way.

The more likely result of mutations is that they are more effective spreading but less dangerous. Like those that cause the common cold. Spread rate and mortality will tend to work opposite each other. Coronavirus needs infected people to survive. Here’s why | Miami Herald

Reaction Score
I mean, people have been saying it since:

1. Chevy Chase left
2. Eddie Murphy left
3. Sandler-Farley left
4. Ferrell and his crew left
5. Wiig and her crew left

And we can go on and on. SNL will always speak mostly to a vaguely interesting 14-21 year old population who think they're being transgressive in watching it. In every single era there have been more interesting and subversive things on the air. But it does it's thing in catching up and comers.
Phil Hartman. The most underrated but greatest "Not Ready_For Primetime Player" ever.

Reaction Score
I think that exaggerates what it is. The flu mutates and we manage it. Every virus mutates. SARs and MERs were vastly more dangerous than SARS-Cov-2. @JustbrewitMan threw out a nightmare scenario of something with that level of lethality and the Covid-19 spread rate, but really that won't happen. If the virus kills the host, that inhibits spread. So far, B.1.1.7 is more easily spread, seems especially to have a high secondary attack rate, but isn't producing worse symptoms in any way.

The more likely result of mutations is that they are more effective spreading but less dangerous. Like those that cause the common cold. Spread rate and mortality will tend to work opposite each other. Coronavirus needs infected people to survive. Here’s why | Miami Herald

My point is we need effective things to stop rampant spread. Every new infection is an opportunity for the worst-case mutation/variant scenario. Yes, what I suggested is a trillion to one probability event (likely higher than that!). But your statistical probability of hitting that doomsday lottery scenario is. LOT lower with 1,000 new infections/day than 1,000,000 a day.

Which is why having a vaccine that does more than just reduce severity of illness/hospitalizations is so crucial at this point.

Reaction Score
The earlier generation thought the early 90s and late 90s-early 00s sucked. SNL is sort of a generational thing. That's an okay thing.
I think the perception of how funny SNL is has been totally skewed by the internet. I've always loved the early days of SNL, but the reality is for decades now we've mostly just seen the greatest hits played over and over. A few years ago I went back and watched some full episodes and similar to today, a lot of the sketches are moderate to duds with some good ones thrown in. And now I don't even have to watch the full show, I can just catch the funny sketches after it airs online.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity since I don’t have a bio background. How did we manage to get past the Spanish flu without even a vaccine?

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity since I don’t have a bio background. How did we manage to get past the Spanish flu without even a vaccine?
From what I've read, immunity from the fact that it infected 1/3 of the world's population, combined with a mutation into a much less deadly strain of the flu.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Upside to having Cuomo as governor - every time he has a new scandal outbreak, he lowers the age for vaccine eligibility, so out of the blue, I now have an appointment for noon tomorrow.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nah, I thought all the old reruns I watched from the 70's pretty much all the way through were hilarious, you would have a couple down years mixed in depending on the cast but it's just brutal now. The older people in my life thought Farley was one of the funniest people ever and loved those years. There's still tons of funny stuff out there all over the place it's just not on that show. I've tried to watch over the years and gave it a bunch of chances the past year since I've been a shut in with the pandemic but it's just so bad.

Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett are funny but barely any of their stuff actually makes it to the Saturday taping. The last truly funny cast members who were in most of the skits were probably Hader, Forte, and Sudekis.

It is you, not the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01