OT: - COVID long term lifestyle changes? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: COVID long term lifestyle changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Beans went down hill very suddenly about 10 years back. Lots of management changes directed towards increasing profits by reducing expenses. Reduced expenses too often equaled reduced quality, and even worse, elimination of some of what made Beans, Beans. I'm thinking specifically of the elimination of the forever warranty on their boots. People who weren't even born when the original warranty that the company was founded on was carved into stone claimed that when the founders said forever, they meant the lifetime of the original owner, and the public was ripping them off by passing boots on to their kids or other relatives, or worse yet, selling them, and the new owners would bring them to the store to exchange for a new pair. So they did away with the forever warranty entirely, and went from no-questions asked to you need your original receipt and it's only good for a year. But the mortal sin they committed was to apply the new policy to items sold prior to the change.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
L.L. Bean Blucher Mocs. Looking for a versatile shoe and owned a pair of these about 20 years ago. Can't believe it's been so long. These are classics but I'm reading the quality has gone down.

I've always avoided getting take-out. I'll be dining out more frequently and the chains are local too. It took me a long time to go with the cargo shorts which are now apparently on the outs, so I gotta find normal shorts which fit. Most shorts seem to be made for tall skinny guys. I'm all for wearing shorts and t's but business casual may be in for an uptick.
Beans went down hill very suddenly about 10 years back. Lots of management changes directed towards increasing profits by reducing expenses. Reduced expenses too often equaled reduced quality, and even worse, elimination of some of what made Beans, Beans. I'm thinking specifically of the elimination of the forever warranty on their boots. People who weren't even born when the original warranty that the company was founded on was carved into stone claimed that when the founders said forever, they meant the lifetime of the original owner, and the public was ripping them off by passing boots on to their kids or other relatives, or worse yet, selling them, and the new owners would bring them to the store to exchange for a new pair. So they did away with the forever warranty entirely, and went from no-questions asked to you need your original receipt and it's only good for a year. But the mortal sin they committed was to apply the new policy to items sold prior to the change.

Reaction Score
Reducing quality is a major problem especially for a brand like Bean. I don't blame them for changing the exchange policy. I know someone who said he cut his worn shoes to get a new pair. Way too much abuse of the policy.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
even china has now started a great, divisive, internal debate between 'live with covid?' versus 'zero covid?'
the common cold is a coronavirus.
there is no vaccine for the common cold.
these American vaccines have great value for a certain portion of the population to reduce their death possibilities, and dimnish their likelihood for severe infection.
zero covid is a crock, like one hour martinizing. or to quote joe walsh 'everybody's so different, i haven't changed.'
my long, long ago observation that the youth are getting hosed, bigtime, grows in common conversation steadily among younger folks.
and before some of youse get on ur high horses again aboot 'dummies,' and the unending insults thrown around so commonly, consider this:
Americans with PhDs are the most reluctant to get vaccinated against COVID, study finds | Daily Mail Online

Reaction Score
Reducing quality is a major problem especially for a brand like Bean. I don't blame them for changing the exchange policy. I know someone who said he cut his worn shoes to get a new pair. Way too much abuse of the policy.

Wife worked at an outlet...heard that people would pick stuff up at yard sales just to trade in for new

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Blowing out candles on a cake and then serving it to everyone is done unless you’re some kind of sicko.
But but but i thought the vaccine worked

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
we got self-checkouts in most of the stores around here. total game changer. the boomers don't use them so i'm in and out in 20 minutes.
Yes, the Boomers don’t like self checkout but the Snowflakes love them. Who woulda ever think it.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Boomers don’t like self checkout but the Snowflakes love them. Who woulda ever think it.
I wouldn't mind regular checkouts if the olds didn't break out the check books to hold up the line or complain that they saw the item was 2.95 and not 2.99 like the machine rung up and go back and forth with a 16 year old cashier and scream at her over $.04

Reaction Score
Honestly just buying more American made products even if they are more expensive and really trying to cut down on buying things made in China. Sometimes the temptation is too much, but it's a work in progress for me
My company has been trying to offer made in America products to our customers. They will not pay the increase in costs. It's really unfortunate and frankly very short sighted.

Reaction Score
Sit down restaurants don't like doing delivery and pickup and they all hate third party delivery apps. I urge everyone to go out to eat, go to your locals instead of fast food/chains, and never use third party delivery apps.
I too have used third party delivery for pizza and a few restaurants in 2020 without much success. As mentioned, my food was cold and there were too many surcharges added. I had one third party delivery guy call me up and asked me to cancel since the restaurant didn't put the order in when they should have which caused an excessive wait. I no longer go to that restaurant since they screwed up multiple times. Another bar near me started charging a 20% tip for any takeout order. They also charge 2% or so to use a debit card. I stopped going there as well since I hate tipping prior to seeing if my order will be done on time. I am an excellent tipper in most circumstances.

I just heard that Wendy's will be using ghost kitchens for their delivery business. I rarely go to fast food outlets but I can't imagine using a delivery service for fast food. Seems to defeat the purpose and then you have no warm fries to eat on the way home.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't get it. Easiest damn thing in the world to use. During the worst of the pandemic, groceries around here wouldn't even let you bring in your own bags. Except if you used the hand scanners and dedicated checkout kiosk. Then nobody was touching your bags but you. You can bag as you shop, then when you get to the checkout kiosk you're out in about a 90 seconds. In the store I shop at most often, there are generally about 40 scanners available. Usually there are only 5-10 being used when i'm shopping, so it's not just the boomers who aren't using the things, it's pretty much everyone.

Oh, and I'm 65.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind regular checkouts if the olds didn't break out the check books to hold up the line or complain that they saw the item was 2.95 and not 2.99 like the machine rung up and go back and forth with a 16 year old cashier and scream at her over $.04
You young people will get old to. Jeez we all aren't senile and decrepit. Lay off the boomers lol. Ok time for my nap.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Easiest damn thing in the world to use. During the worst of the pandemic, groceries around here wouldn't even let you bring in your own bags. Except if you used the hand scanners and dedicated checkout kiosk. Then nobody was touching your bags but you. You can bag as you shop, then when you get to the checkout kiosk you're out in about a 90 seconds. In the store I shop at most often, there are generally about 40 scanners available. Usually there are only 5-10 being used when i'm shopping, so it's not just the boomers who aren't using the things, it's pretty much everyone.

Oh, and I'm 65.
I'm in your age group as well and I have no issues with scanning my own groceries and using a debit card. Some people complain that they should be paid for doing the work of Walmart, etc. I normally go to Walmart for lower prices on select items so I am willing to bag my own to get those lower prices. I just need to go early in the morning or later at night when the store is generally not very crowded. In fact, during the period prior to being vaccinated, I hated anybody reaching over me at the self-checkout to get my basket or select an option that I took 3 seconds too long to select myself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Latest update. The company pushed our September 7 back to the office date. Then announced that three buildings would close and they would be making significant changes to some other buildings to accommodate people from those closed buildings. Expectation is more meeting space, less work space, very little dedicated work space. Mostly a hoteling model where you reserve space for the dat via an app.

Schwab delayed until Jan 2022. I expect I'll now be the spring at soonest. I thought this was accurate.

Reaction Score
Latest update. The company pushed our September 7 back to the office date. Then announced that three buildings would close and they would be making significant changes to some other buildings to accommodate people from those closed buildings. Expectation is more meeting space, less work space, very little dedicated work space. Mostly a hoteling model where you reserve space for the dat via an app.

Schwab delayed until Jan 2022. I expect I'll now be the spring at soonest. I thought this was accurate.

This is the change that's happening in offices. Exact same thing as my office has changed to with limited desk space and no personal desks, since it'll really only be meetings that people come in the office for.

Also work in the furniture industry and this has been the trend we've seen in companies buying office furniture. We're actually moving into a new office so that it can be designed as a go forward model for the future of offices

Reaction Score
We used to travel every 10 weeks or so for planning. Locations like Denver, Nashville and Austin. Ft Lauderdale was also on the list but I never traveled there and my trip to Austin was cancelled last March 2020 due to Covid. I don't see these trips occurring again. We get just as much done without traveling and no one leaves early to catch a flight. I'm sure this saves the companies a lot of money. It was fun going to Denver and Nashville but most of the old crew has retired or changed jobs anyway.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I cannot describe how awful of an idea hoteling is.

there’s no point to making people come in for that nonsense

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I cannot describe how awful of an idea hoteling is.

there’s no point to making people come in for that nonsense

Depends on the space, honestly. If I have an enclosed, private space, I'm ok with that. Basically come in for meetings, and work in that space in between. If it is "open floor plan" then nah, I'm out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How often does that happen? One out of 50?

Reaction Score
Haven't seen it once in the last 2 1/2 years - since I retired and moved to DE. Self check is the way to go - groceries or anyplace that has one. Don't know anyone who pays with checks anymore, don't even carry them around. A couple monthly/quarterly bills that can't be done any other way without a $2-$3 fee. Those I mail.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Depends on the space, honestly. If I have an enclosed, private space, I'm ok with that. Basically come in for meetings, and work in that space in between. If it is "open floor plan" then nah, I'm out.

I don’t want someone else sitting in my spot. Lol

Reaction Score
Life for me is back to normal. I still wash my hands and keep a mask with me for indoor places. Eating out, shopping, etc. is totally fine.

In Europe for the last 3 weeks and still here. Touristy things are basically back to normal with precautions

Reaction Score
Often enough that I avoid lines with older people in them. Or just use the self checkout.

I also avoid couponers. Seen plenty of arguments over expired coupons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom