OT: - COVID long term lifestyle changes? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: COVID long term lifestyle changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t want someone else sitting in my spot. Lol

I consider my spot to be here at home. ;) This is like the 5 hours a week solution in my view.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen it once in the last 2 1/2 years - since I retired and moved to DE. Self check is the way to go - groceries or anyplace that has one. Don't know anyone who pays with checks anymore, don't even carry them around. A couple monthly/quarterly bills that can't be done any other way without a $2-$3 fee. Those I mail.
I've seen it more and more often since covid.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I don't get it. Easiest damn thing in the world to use. During the worst of the pandemic, groceries around here wouldn't even let you bring in your own bags. Except if you used the hand scanners and dedicated checkout kiosk. Then nobody was touching your bags but you. You can bag as you shop, then when you get to the checkout kiosk you're out in about a 90 seconds. In the store I shop at most often, there are generally about 40 scanners available. Usually there are only 5-10 being used when i'm shopping, so it's not just the boomers who aren't using the things, it's pretty much everyone.

Oh, and I'm 65.
I use them too. Some idiot referring to his elders as boomers, annoys me though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm in your age group as well and I have no issues with scanning my own groceries and using a debit card. Some people complain that they should be paid for doing the work of Walmart, etc. I normally go to Walmart for lower prices on select items so I am willing to bag my own to get those lower prices. I just need to go early in the morning or later at night when the store is generally not very crowded. In fact, during the period prior to being vaccinated, I hated anybody reaching over me at the self-checkout to get my basket or select an option that I took 3 seconds too long to select myself.

FB_IMG_1629511529115.jpg

Reaction Score
Were you the aforementioned idiot that @WeAreUCONN was referring to...of course you were.
It has always been funny to me how for over a decade boomers have written derogatory articles about millennials and used the term to mean "young person in general" in some sort of demeaning way.

Yet an ok boomer meme comes along and some of them are so sensitive that they completely lose their minds. It's like the Karen's who are trying to turn Karen into hate speech.

Reaction Score
It has always been funny to me how for over a decade boomers have written derogatory articles about millennials and used the term to mean "young person in general" in some sort of demeaning way.

Yet an ok boomer meme comes along and some of them are so sensitive that they completely lose their minds. It's like the Karen's who are trying to turn Karen into hate speech.
Why do you feel the need to label or pigeonhole someone? Try having an original thought and don't do it because other people in your age demographic do it.

Reaction Score
Please list your (I am sure, logical) reasons
"if I had a dollar for every time a boomer criticized a younger generation, I'd have enough money to live in the economy they ruined" - someone on the interwebs

Reaction Score
As previously mentioned, I have no issues scanning my own items especially since it lessens my interaction with others during Covid. I do however have an issue when there are 3 Walmart employees directing customers to 4 self-service scanners as I witnessed the other day. At least one and probably two of the employees should be on a register rather than standing around directing traffic.

Reaction Score
Scan It! at Stop and Shop is a game changer. Just used it for the first time Saturday, and I am appalled that I have been shopping there for years and never bothered to check it out before.

It's a smartphone-sized scanning device that you can use to scan your items as you shop, which also means you can bag as you shop. Huge time saver. Now if I could only pay without going through checkout...

Reaction Score
Please list your (I am sure, logical) reasons
The tagline on this essay is a pretty good start.

"The boomers inherited a rich, dynamic country and have gradually bankrupted it."

But just to be clear, its not just a fiscal bankruptcy through slowly lowering taxes and cratering the middle class (redistributing money to very high earners and corporations) through deficit spending, but also a moral bankruptcy of endless wars, endless hypocrisy and the degradation of our democratic institutions and natural resources for their children and future generations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The tagline on this essay is a pretty good start.

"The boomers inherited a rich, dynamic country and have gradually bankrupted it."

But just to be clear, its not just a fiscal bankruptcy through slowly lowering taxes while increasing deficits, but also a moral bankruptcy of endless wars, endless hypocrisy and the degradation of our democratic institutions and natural resources for their children and future generations.

To be fair, our country was morally bankrupt from the moment the constitution was ratified.

Reaction Score
To be fair, our country was morally bankrupt from the moment the constitution was ratified.
Some generations generally move us toward a "more perfect union" and some decidedly against a "more perfect union". We are a perpetually unfinished nation and the question is which political generations help build and strengthen - and which degrade and weaken.

Reading that interview from 2017 about how Boomers have basically undermined the social fabric and sense of obligation to your community, your nation - completely inverting the Kennedy "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" that their parents embraced - really was foreshadowing the whole COVID/Mask/Vaccine debacle as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thought this was relevant. #1 and #2 are already here, those are happening right now. I think #3 is coming. Suburban and ex-urban expansion of services, including restaurants, hair salons and bars that served commuters. Will require some zoning changes to create islands of commercial within the residential, and probably more sidewalks. #4 is scary and hopefully we will not go there, and instead will find non-biometric means of facilitating this due to the massive privacy issues. I know Amazon has test stores where you walk in, walk out with items and are automatically charged. I'm iffy on #5. I certainly see digital tools supplementing traditional learning, but I think we've shown that full online learning isn't effective for K-12, especially for K-6.

Reaction Score
Big Articles of Confederation fan I see.

Bold strategy let's see how it works out.

Reaction Score
Thought this was relevant. #1 and #2 are already here, those are happening right now. I think #3 is coming. Suburban and ex-urban expansion of services, including restaurants, hair salons and bars that served commuters. Will require some zoning changes to create islands of commercial within the residential, and probably more sidewalks. #4 is scary and hopefully we will not go there, and instead will find non-biometric means of facilitating this due to the massive privacy issues. I know Amazon has test stores where you walk in, walk out with items and are automatically charged. I'm iffy on #5. I certainly see digital tools supplementing traditional learning, but I think we've shown that full online learning isn't effective for K-12, especially for K-6.

That video looks like an absolute hellscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom