OT: - COVID long term lifestyle changes? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: COVID long term lifestyle changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That's now been proven to be fairly useless in avoiding COVID. It probably does help from catching colds though.

I can't tell if you really believe this, or if you are just joking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You are one of those guys who doesn't let go right away then adds your left hand into the shake, aren't ya?
Nah. I'm one who instinctively goes for the handshake and am frequently thwarted midway by the guys who go for the bro hug and it turns awkward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's now been proven to be fairly useless in avoiding COVID. It probably does help from catching colds though.
Really? Link?

Reaction Score
we got self-checkouts in most of the stores around here. total game changer. the boomers don't use them so i'm in and out in 20 minutes.
Beg to differ down here where I am the line for self check out is often longer than the regular lines.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nah. I'm one who instinctively goes for the handshake and am frequently thwarted midway by the guys who go for the bro hug and it turns awkward.
Shake with the right, bring it low and go in and one pat with the left.

CL82

Reaction Score
This thread is making me wonder if we should do a separate thread on the different kinds of handshakes and when or where they are used. The business shake, the double shake, the handshake into bro hug, handshake into left hand on the side of shoulder all come to mind.

Reaction Score
See, the issue with “never have to wait in line” is that there are like 2 lanes open at the grocery store

That's why I use the self-scan and bag as you shop method. The stores we go to have a corral of self checkout registers, rarely if ever a line. What's changed for me about grocery shopping is, we used to do it Saturday afternoon. During the worst of it, we tried several different times/dates and settled on Monday evening. Less crowded and usually pretty well stocked meat and produce (which is the main reason to go in the first place).

Reaction Score
Pretty confident we will be in masks most if not all of next school year…

In other news, I got 30 mins into a lesson on “Harrison Bergeron” on the last day of summer school, realized noooooooo one was interested, said screw it and put on Back to the Future… none of my ten students had ever seen it, a travesty!

Reaction Score
LMAO!

Reaction Score
This thread is making me wonder if we should do a separate thread on the different kinds of handshakes and when or where they are used. The business shake, the double shake, the handshake into bro hug, handshake into left hand on the side of shoulder all come to mind.
Don't forget the elbow bump. AFLAC!

Reaction Score

In other news, I got 30 mins into a lesson on “Harrison Bergeron” on the last day of summer school, realized noooooooo one was interested, said screw it and put on Back to the Future… none of my ten students had ever seen it, a travesty!

Play the movie 2049!

Reaction Score
Yup and the fist bump, I guess.

FWIW I freaking hate the elbow bump. I'd rather just do nothing. Not a huge fan of the fist bump in a business setting, but the elbow bump is an abomination.
AGREE!

Reaction Score
Neither will I
My plan was to retire-Now, I work from home, so I have no problem working-set up an office and have a TV-let's face it. Retirement would have been mostly sitting around watching TV. My boss is trying to get me to fill out a "career path"....Not gonna happen. If they change the approach from what's in it for me, to what's in it for them?.....I might do it. No drive. no wardrobe.....

Reaction Score
My plan was to retire-Now, I work from home, so I have no problem working-set up an office and have a TV-let's face it. Retirement would have been mostly sitting around watching TV. My boss is trying to get me to fill out a "career path"....Not gonna happen. If they change the approach from what's in it for me, to what's in it for them?.....I might do it. No drive. no wardrobe.....

Agree with this...been working at home for years and life wouldn't be that much different retired...so may as well keep getting paid for it as long as they are up to it....

Reaction Score
Beg to differ down here where I am the line for self check out is often longer than the regular lines.

The problem is Boomers also love self-checkout and they spend 10 minutes checking out for a dozen items. My favorite is the folks paying with cash and exact change at self-checkout.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

What state is that where kids and staff will be wearing masks this upcoming school year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I expect to be more "hybrid" work from home than before (I stopped going in on Fridays long ago). May not go back at all. Depends on what the facility changes look like. My home office though, is much improved. Dual monitors, sit stand desk, great chair.

Handshakes...they seem to be back. I don't need them, but if a hand comes out, I'm not going to refuse, that's just lame.
I'm not changing any behavior. Didn't use curbside from groceries and have no interest. I did try it at Home Depot, and having four 40 pound bags of water softener salt delivered to my car isn't bad. But I'm not that lazy, so will probably not use it. I'm pleased most stores now support tapping your phone or credit card.

I think other things will change, my town is going to become more crowded I expect. Traffic is already worse here in the suburbs. I think Covid just accelerated trends that were coming anyway. Anything that can be digitized is going to be digitized. I expect retail banks to shut a lot of branches. These virtual restaurants (mostly wing places it seems) are interesting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree with this...been working at home for years and life wouldn't be that much different retired...so may as well keep getting paid for it as long as they are up to it....

I expected to be 5 years away from retirement. But told my wife and friends, if they let me keep working from my future retirement location (Cape Cod possibly), I'll keep going longer. At some point though I'm going to need less stress. So I may not work quite the way I do now. I want to be able to take two weeks off and go to Europe. I can't do that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom