Could This Be The Best Team Ever? | The Boneyard

Could This Be The Best Team Ever?

Reaction Score
I know I am going to be jumped on, but it seems possible. Could this be the best UCONN team ever? Could it be the best team in the history of WCBB? Has any team ever averaged over 100 points per game? How is Geno going to keep the score down with the bench he has?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let have them play a few games together first. This team has the potential to be One of UCONN's deepest but I would not say one of the best teams. ALL 5 starters could be playing out of position. Nurse is better SG than she is PG, Gabby & Napheesa should be playing on the wing and not in the post. KLS should be playing SF not shooting Guard. Being 6'6" does not make Azura a center. IMO that is taking this theory of "positionless" basketball too far. Given the talent level of the other teams and the genius of Geno it all may not matter. Then there is the defense side of the ball which is what I would think keeps this team from being considered one of the great UCONN teams. This team has the DPOY in Gabby but Gabby cannot be deployed in both the post and on the perimeter defensively. Against MSU Gabby was deployed in the post. One of the striking things about the MSU game is that "Itty Bitty" was not defended until well after she had crossed half court on most possessions. She got comfortable enough to make the game winning shot.

Reaction Score
I know I am going to be jumped on, but it seems possible. Could this be the best UConn team ever? Could it be the best team in the history of WCBB? Has any team ever averaged over 100 points per game? How is Geno going to keep the score down with the bench he has?
While that's a steep hill to climb - of course they can - we've certainly got the ingredients...but, let's see how the pieces "gel"...come the first of next year, we should have a pretty good idea of just how much their efforts, determination, & cohesion, not to mention - the coaching, have taken this team, perhaps, to another level. It'll certainly be a pleasure to watch it unfold. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I totally agree - COULD be one of the best teams ever. Keep in mind tho, we had teams in the past with Maya AND Tina, Dee AND Sue, and Stewie AND Moriah on them.

We DO have 3 returning All Americans and 2 other players who should be on the short list (Nurse, Stevens) this year, not to mention the best freshman in the nation entering UCONN. It's going to be exciting for sure!!

Reaction Score
I'll say it is very likely the best ever class in WCBB.
We will know by December 2017.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let have them play a few games together first. This team has the potential to be One of UConn's deepest but I would not say one of the best teams. ALL 5 starters could be playing out of position. Nurse is better SG than she is PG, Gabby & Napheesa should be playing on the wing and not in the post. KLS should be playing SF not shooting Guard. Being 6'6" does not make Azura a center. IMO that is taking this theory of "positionless" basketball too far. Given the talent level of the other teams and the genius of Geno it all may not matter. Then there is the defense side of the ball which is what I would think keeps this team from being considered one of the great UConn teams. This team has the DPOY in Gabby but Gabby cannot be deployed in both the post and on the perimeter defensively. Against MSU Gabby was deployed in the post. One of the striking things about the MSU game is that "Itty Bitty" was not defended until well after she had crossed half court on most possessions. She got comfortable enough to make the game winning shot.
"Out of Position"? The right position is the position Geno puts them in, not some conventional thought about it. I am still in awe about what Geno did with Gabby in her freshman year.
"6'6" does not make Azura a center"? What does that mean? Azura is a post player, period. And from all accounts probably one of the best in the country.
You think defense is a problem? We have a coaching staff that emphasizes and teaches defense better than anyone else in the country. And I do not think we should be using the defense problems of last year's team to prejudge this year's team. This year is going to be a whole new world, very different from last year.

Reaction Score
Nope. No Stewie, D, or Maya type player on this team. How many undefeated or title seasons have there been without a player like that on the roster?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gabby wasn't called the best basketball player, women's or men's, last year for nothing. Phee stupendous. KLS ... 10 3s in a row. Kia, the rock other teams break on. Crystal admittedly with stuff to prove. A sophomore leap will have Molly and Kyla being steady relief. The 4 freshman, all scoring machines itching for some time. These are all problems worth having! I have never been able to get into the "this team" versus "that team" thing in any sport and I count that a deficit of mine.

Reaction Score
Geno always said to have a great team and a great season you have got to suffer greatly!
In 2000-2001 UCONN lost to ND in FF Semi's in a game they had controlled, then in 2001-02 the team stormed back dedicating that the results will be different from the year before leading to one of the greatest teams at UCONN & WBB!
Last season UCONN was 36-0 leading into the FF Semi's match up with Miss. St. and suffered another horrible set back!
This years team has said they'll make sure that loss will NOT happen again!
So if that holds true, the awesome talent on this team will have an unbelievable season!
The key is staying healthy, no major injuries or sicknesses!

Reaction Score
Disagree. Bigly.
It is hard to judge, because there have never been 4 super stars on one team before. With Maya, D, & Stewie, they stood out and had the spotlight all to themselves. This year that won't happen. This year the super stars are going to have to share the spotlight. I always thought KLS was the second coming of Stewie, and then she found herself on a team with Pheesa and Gabby and learned to subordinate her super star aspirations to play with other super stars. I think it is going to be similar to the Olympic team, where a bunch of super stars had a ball playing together, sharing the spotlight in a true team environment. I bet the players on this team are going to love it.

Reaction Score
It is hard to judge, because there have never been 4 super stars on one team before. With Maya, D, & Stewie, they stood out and had the spotlight all to themselves. This year that won't happen. This year the super stars are going to have to share the spotlight. I always thought KLS was the second coming of Stewie, and then she found herself on a team with Pheesa and Gabby and learned to subordinate her super star aspirations to play with other super stars. I think it is going to be similar to the Olympic team, where a bunch of super stars had a ball playing together, sharing the spotlight in a true team environment. I bet the players on this team are going to love it.
Stewie's a rare breed. I don't see KLS ever having the all around game Stewie did - not even close.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Out of Position"? The right position is the position Geno puts them in, not some conventional thought about it. I am still in awe about what Geno did with Gabby in her freshman year.
"6'6" does not make Azura a center"? What does that mean? Azura is a post player, period. And from all accounts probably one of the best in the country.
You think defense is a problem? We have a coaching staff that emphasizes and teaches defense better than anyone else in the country. And I do not think we should be using the defense problems of last year's team to prejudge this year's team. This year is going to be a whole new world, very different from last year.
Yes, out of position. Azura has never played the post position, not at Duke, not on USA basketball so I'm not sure what makes her a "Post Player Period". You may also want to Check the UCONN roster which list Azura as a Forward/Guard. Perimeter defense is still potentially an issue and not exactly unique to this team. If you couple that with the though that players are playing "out of position" -even "conventionally" you compound the problem. As I said before Gabby cannot guard both the post and the perimeter. Conventionally speaking you are at least 1 perimeter defender short. Not only does UCONN have the best staff for teaching defense it also has the best staff for teaching ALL aspects of basketball and recruits kids that are more than willing to buy in. That should never be doubted. When you begin to talk about this team vs. all time great UCONN teams, as you did, it might have been easier to point out that this team does not have al All-time great UCONN player on it- Not yet any way! So please give them some time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is hard to judge, because there have never been 4 super stars on one team before. With Maya, D, & Stewie, they stood out and had the spotlight all to themselves. This year that won't happen.
That statement is glaringly incorrect .

Stewie never took the floor with less than 2 All American Teammates beside her.
Freshmen: (Dolson, Hartley, KML)
Sophomore: (Dolson, Hartley, KML)
Junior: (KML, Jefferson)
Senior (Tuck, Jefferson)

Maya

Freshmen Year: (Charles, Montgomery)
Sophomore: (Charles, Montgomery)
Junior: (Charles)
Senior (None)

DT
Freshmen ( Bird & Cash)
Sophomore ( Bird & cash)
Junior ( None)
Senior ( None)

Reaction Score
Stevens is a post player period? You better let Auriemma know that because I believe he has other ideas. And let Stevens know too, she has no idea that's all she is.

Reaction Score
That statement is glaringly incorrect .

Stewie never took the floor with less than 2 All American Teammates beside her.
Freshmen: (Dolson, Hartley, KML)
Sophomore: (Dolson, Hartley, KML)
Junior: (KML, Jefferson)
Senior (Tuck, Jefferson)

Maya

Freshmen Year: (Charles, Montgomery)
Sophomore: (Charles, Montgomery)
Junior: (Charles)
Senior (None)

DT
Freshmen ( Bird & Cash)
Sophomore ( Bird & cash)
Junior ( None)
Senior ( None)

All American is not the same as super star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom