Could This Be The Best Team Ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could This Be The Best Team Ever?

Reaction Score
It is hard to judge, because there have never been 4 super stars on one team before. With Maya, D, & Stewie, they stood out and had the spotlight all to themselves. This year that won't happen. This year the super stars are going to have to share the spotlight. I always thought KLS was the second coming of Stewie, and then she found herself on a team with Pheesa and Gabby and learned to subordinate her super star aspirations to play with other super stars. I think it is going to be similar to the Olympic team, where a bunch of super stars had a ball playing together, sharing the spotlight in a true team environment. I bet the players on this team are going to love it.
KLS the second coming of Stewart? Did you see Stewart play at UConn? KLS hasn't subordinated anything, she's still trying to improve her deficiencies.

Reaction Score
I know I am going to be jumped on, but it seems possible. Could this be the best UConn team ever? Could it be the best team in the history of WCBB? Has any team ever averaged over 100 points per game? How is Geno going to keep the score down with the bench he has?
Let's see what the WNBA thinks when they're seniors.

Reaction Score
Let have them play a few games together first. This team has the potential to be One of UConn's deepest but I would not say one of the best teams. ALL 5 starters could be playing out of position. Nurse is better SG than she is PG, Gabby & Napheesa should be playing on the wing and not in the post. KLS should be playing SF not shooting Guard. Being 6'6" does not make Azura a center. IMO that is taking this theory of "positionless" basketball too far. Given the talent level of the other teams and the genius of Geno it all may not matter. Then there is the defense side of the ball which is what I would think keeps this team from being considered one of the great UConn teams. This team has the DPOY in Gabby but Gabby cannot be deployed in both the post and on the perimeter defensively. Against MSU Gabby was deployed in the post. One of the striking things about the MSU game is that "Itty Bitty" was not defended until well after she had crossed half court on most possessions. She got comfortable enough to make the game winning shot.

You win my gold medal!! We can speculate until the cows come home, or long after too and have not one iota of the abilities of this group as a TEAM.
Your---out of position --or positionless --team is spot on.
Now you know GENO is a genius--and no one should second guess a Genius--but --speculating on the Ms st Game--if someone had spent time hazing Itty Bitty end to end --ala-Moriah--they may have gotten into her head--or minimally allowed Ms offense to begin later--but I'm no John Wooden.
Back to this team---I have a belief they shall be very good--great?? I'll wait until April maybe longer to give a real opinion on that.

Reaction Score
All American is not the same as super star.
What are they --I'm not sure what a WCBB team superstar, while in college, looks like??
I have a fair assumption of an All American--or an all American Canadian --look like.

Reaction Score
Stevens is a post player period? You better let Auriemma know that because I believe he has other ideas. And let Stevens know too, she has no idea that's all she is.
While I appreciate your humor---Stevens has known from her first few months in Storrs--what position she would be playing for Geno--now it may be Coco's positionless--position--

Reaction Score
BobbyJ, do you remember Breanna getting benched during her freshman year because she couldn't handle the contact? Like I've said before, there are so many of you hating on Katie Lou. She never said she was the next Breanna, so get off her back. She knows what parts of her game need to improve just like Breanna knew what parts of her game needed to improve. Katie Lou just turned twenty years old. She's not washed up yet. This team has the chance to be an all-time great team. With all the talent and depth, if they play up to their potential, it very well could happen.

Reaction Score
Stewie's a rare breed. I don't see KLS ever having the all around game Stewie did - not even close.

Collier is the closest to being the next Stewart. In fact, in comparing sophomore stats, Collier had a better shooting %, better 3pt %, more rebounds, more points scored, and more steals than Stewart did. Now Collier will never be the shot blocker that Stewart was but her stats are surprisingly superior in other areas.

Reaction Score
BobbyJ, do you remember Breanna getting benched during her freshman year because she couldn't handle the contact? Like I've said before, there are so many of you hating on Katie Lou. She never said she was the next Breanna, so get off her back. She knows what parts of her game need to improve just like Breanna knew what parts of her game needed to improve. Katie Lou just turned twenty years old. She's not washed up yet. This team has the chance to be an all-time great team. With all the talent and depth, if they play up to their potential, it very well could happen.

My goodness--Katie Lou Samuelson--if she isn't an All American before she is done==I'll eat a Canadian Meat Pie!! I remember Stewie sitting long weeks until she got the message. Katie Lou may not like it--but she's been in the mix of banging to throw off her shot--and made them--what other player in a Uconn Uniform have you EVER seen playing then vomiting with a stop in the action--if Fans don't hold that up as something that set KLS apart from lessor players--they are watching the wrong sport. Geno--yes GENO--in pre season--spoke of KLS having the green light to shoot when she has the ball--all others must wait until they have a clear shot---what does that say???

Reaction Score
I'll put in my two cents. With how good a team they were last year while being so young and with Azura and the other additions that have come on board, they may attain heights never before achieved. Will they? Who knows. That's why they play the games. I don't mind the speculation at all, but so much can happen between now and the end of the season. And I think the suggestion that they don't have a player that seems to be of the Diana/Maya/Breanna superstar caliber is a point well taken. But they are going to be deadly deep in a way that hearkens back to the Bird/Taurasi/Williams/Jones etc. days. Will it be exactly like then? No. Different parts and personalities. But Gabby/Napheesa/Katie Lou/Azura/Kia etc. sounds scary good to me.

Reaction Score
I'll put in my two cents. With how good a team they were last year while being so young and with Azura and the other additions that have come on board, they may attain heights never before achieved. Will they? Who knows. That's why they play the games. I don't mind the speculation at all, but so much can happen between now and the end of the season. And I think the suggestion that they don't have a player that seems to be of the Diana/Maya/Breanna superstar caliber is a point well taken. But they are going to be deadly deep in a way that hearkens back to the Bird/Taurasi/Williams/Jones etc. days. Will it be exactly like then? No. Different parts and personalities. But Gabby/Napheesa/Katie Lou/Azura/Kia etc. sounds scary good to me.

Do me a favor, and cut and paste this somewhere where you may find it a year from April 2018.
Your posting makes sense on many planes---I'm not in favor of anointing any current player "super star" or " this is the greatest ever"--but Speculation as you point out --is what makes the By (if not the world) go around, especially speculation of a new Uconn team--it happens every summer!!

Reaction Score
I know I am going to be jumped on, but it seems possible. Could this be the best UConn team ever? Could it be the best team in the history of WCBB? Has any team ever averaged over 100 points per game? How is Geno going to keep the score down with the bench he has?

You're definitely onto something Triple A. I, too, believe we're about to see something that has never occurred in WCBB. Beyond the greatest Husky team of all time, I'm thinking of the ultimate achievement: 4 NCs in a row with no defeats along the way. Megan graduates as the avatar of the New Perfection and eases Geno into retirement as the greatest coach of all time (if he isn't that already). If you think this is preposterous, recall that it wasn't so long ago that we BYers were speculating on 200 wins in a row--or maybe never losing again.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Collier is the closest to being the next Stewart. In fact, in comparing sophomore stats, Collier had a better shooting %, better 3pt %, more rebounds, more points scored, and more steals than Stewart did. Now Collier will never be the shot blocker that Stewart was but her stats are surprisingly superior in other areas.
Considering her size, Collier blocks a LOT of shots. Being three inches shorter than Stewart, you are right, she will never be the shot blocker Stewart was.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We can speculate until the cows come home, or long after too and have not one iota of the abilities of this group as a TEAM.

I think we have more than one iota of the abilities of this group as a TEAM. It's not like all of this influx of talent is coming in cold. Most will have played with the returning lettermen for a year. They will steamroll almost every team they play. A loss will be shocking.

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen this video? How do you think her "hasn't subordinated anything"?

Do you know the definition of the word subordinate ?

Reaction Score
Do you know the definition of the word subordinate ?
sub·or·di·nate
adjective
səˈbôrd(ə)nət/
  1. 1.
    lower in rank or position.
    "his subordinate officers"
    synonyms: lower-ranking, junior, lower, supporting
    "subordinate staff"

noun
səˈbôrd(ə)nət/
  1. 1.
    a person under the authority or control of another within an organization.
    synonyms: junior, assistant, second (in command), number two, right-hand man/woman, deputy, aide, underling, minion; More
verb
səˈbôrdənāt/
  1. 1.
    treat or regard as of lesser importance than something else.
    "practical considerations were subordinated to political expediency"

Reaction Score
sub·or·di·nate
adjective
səˈbôrd(ə)nət/
  1. 1.
    lower in rank or position.
    "his subordinate officers"
    synonyms: lower-ranking, junior, lower, supporting
    "subordinate staff"
noun
səˈbôrd(ə)nət/
  1. 1.
    a person under the authority or control of another within an organization.
    synonyms: junior, assistant, second (in command), number two, right-hand man/woman, deputy, aide, underling, minion; More
verb
səˈbôrdənāt/
  1. 1.
    treat or regard as of lesser importance than something else.
    "practical considerations were subordinated to political expediency"
That's great. Google knows the meaning but obviously you don't. What does this word have to do with making ten 3 pointers in a game?

Reaction Score
Well said. Have no idea why people will hate Katie Lou?
She is a lovely girl doing her best in UConn women basketball team.
I love her just the same as I love Napheeza, Gabby, Kia, Crystal and now Azura and Batouly, and all the others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom