Corey Floyd visiting Providence | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Corey Floyd visiting Providence

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how much the narrative can change when the transfers in happen before the transfers out.
hopefully everyone learned their lesson. a couple transfers every offseason is not a reason to panic and doubt and criticize. it should be expected.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
hopefully everyone learned their lesson. a couple transfers every offseason is not a reason to panic and doubt and criticize. it should be expected.
1650399187993.gif

Reaction Score
Just my 2 cents. If he was clamoring to be activated, as reported, staff should have just activated him. We needed the guard depth and very few kids stay in one place 5 years.

There's no such term as "being activated." You don't file papers to redshirt with anyone at the beginning of the season. If you don't play (or if you play a little and then get hurt), then you get an extra year of eligibility. The point being, all that had to be done was tell him to take his warmups off and report in. Shockingly, if Hurley thought that he could have helped the club in a material way and Floyd was willing to spend a year of eligibilty, HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED.

Reaction Score
There's no such term as "being activated." You don't file papers to redshirt with anyone at the beginning of the season. If you don't play (or if you play a little and then get hurt), then you get an extra year of eligibility. The point being, all that had to be done was tell him to take his warmups off and report in. Shockingly, if Hurley thought that he could have helped the club in a material way and Floyd was willing to spend a year of eligibilty, HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED.
Hurley is on record saying Floyd would have helped. Just a strange situation where I'm sure the Diggins situation didn't help.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that the portal will be a net positive. I liked all 4 kids who transferred, but they have to do what's right for them. Hopefully it cleared the way for even better talent to come in.

Reaction Score
Shockingly, if Hurley thought that he could have helped the club in a material way and Floyd was willing to spend a year of eligibilty, HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED.
As said by Huskybass, Hurley already said he would have helped. But when did Hurley realize that? Probably too late to waste the redshirt.

Floyd tried to convince the staff to allow him to play a few times this season, but Hurley & Co. never caved, despite Hurley admitting: “If Corey had played, he would have helped us.”

"If Corey was available and wasn't a red-shirt, he would have played this year because he's physical, he's got great pedigree and size," Hurley said. "He doesn't have anything that's really deficient. He's an athlete, well-rounded, and he's still young."

Reaction Score
As said by Huskybass, Hurley already said he would have helped. But when did Hurley realize that? Probably too late to waste the redshirt.

Floyd tried to convince the staff to allow him to play a few times this season, but Hurley & Co. never caved, despite Hurley admitting: “If Corey had played, he would have helped us.”

"If Corey was available and wasn't a red-shirt, he would have played this year because he's physical, he's got great pedigree and size," Hurley said. "He doesn't have anything that's really deficient. He's an athlete, well-rounded, and he's still young."

Still just such a bizarre quote.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t get playing time with Syracuse and transferred, couldn’t get playing time with Providence and transferred. Needs to lower his expectations and try Fordham or UMass.

If he transfers to UMass I can’t imagine that would go over well with Diggins

Reaction Score
Hurley is on record saying Floyd would have helped.
Still just such a bizarre quote.
given the benefit of hindsight this can be interpreted as puffery. coaches say a lot of crap to lift their players up.

regardless, even if it was true, we appear to be on the verge of bringing in 2 more Gs that would have pushed floyd down to at least the 5th G in the rotation and 6th if you include jackson, which i do, so get over it already!

Reaction Score

I will stick to what I say about every sport — I don’t waste time listening to what coaches say because coaches say things all the time for reasons other than they think they are true.

Reaction Score
Why? It was 2 weeks before Floyd announced he was transferring.
“If Corey was available and wasn’t a redshirt” is a silly quote. He was available, they chose to redshirt, and when they saw our lack of depth in the backcourt, they could have pulled the redshirt and played him. They had an option. He wasn’t locked into a redshirt.

Reaction Score
“If Corey was available and wasn’t a redshirt” is a silly quote. He was available, they chose to redshirt, and when they saw our lack of depth in the backcourt, they could have pulled the redshirt and played him. They had an option. He wasn’t locked into a redshirt.
It depends when they realized it. If it's February then I think it's pretty dumb to pull the redshirt then

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think they just needed to touch each other and say “Wonder Twins power activate.”

Reaction Score
Thing is if the kid wanted to play and he was a better option than Gaff then it should have happened. Not sure of the facts but this whole scenario is strange.

Having said that if he goes to PC I hope he does well. When playing versus us I hope he craps himself.

Reaction Score
Thing is if the kid wanted to play and he was a better option than Gaff then it should have happened. Not sure of the facts but this whole scenario is strange.

Having said that if he goes to PC I hope he does well. When playing versus us I hope he craps himself.
Another case where Hurley is being forced to learn and not be so stubborn. That said, I THINK HE IS! He's been wrong sooo many times, but does so many things right. I'm hopeful this wave of transfers has forced his hand and think it has. While some upset at it, I don't want to say thrilled but I'm very excited about forcing Hurley from his loyalty to undertalented players he's shown a signficant penchant for. The guys we are connected to are clear upgrades and often are multi-talented where he had so many one dimensional guys he went with.

I don't think I've ever seen our guard situation be more dire in 25+ years as last year (or if you want to argue it's definitely in pantheon of dire UConn guard situations, obv RJ did all he could). In dire situations, it should be all hands on deck.

Floyd's physicality would have helped him a great deal I believe vs. an average freshman. You simply can't have a guard afraid to dribble with back to basket 40 feet from the hoop and expect to run any semblance of an offense. There's no way Floyd couldn't have been better in that respect. I believe Hurley and esp the parts about Floyd imploring him to play. Can't imagine how frustrating that must have been.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom