Corey Floyd visiting Providence | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Corey Floyd visiting Providence

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Couldn’t get playing time with Syracuse and transferred, couldn’t get playing time with Providence and transferred. Needs to lower his expectations and try Fordham or UMass.
Lovely shot at Sool
Classy

Reaction Score
Another case where Hurley is being forced to learn and not be so stubborn. That said, I THINK HE IS! He's been wrong sooo many times, but does so many things right. I'm hopeful this wave of transfers has forced his hand and think it has. While some upset at it, I don't want to say thrilled but I'm very excited about forcing Hurley from his loyalty to undertalented players he's shown a signficant penchant for. The guys we are connected to are clear upgrades and often are multi-talented where he had so many one dimensional guys he went with.

I don't think I've ever seen our guard situation be more dire in 25+ years as last year (or if you want to argue it's definitely in pantheon of dire UConn guard situations, obv RJ did all he could). In dire situations, it should be all hands on deck.

Floyd's physicality would have helped him a great deal I believe vs. an average freshman. You simply can't have a guard afraid to dribble with back to basket 40 feet from the hoop and expect to run any semblance of an offense. There's no way Floyd couldn't have been better in that respect. I believe Hurley and esp the parts about Floyd imploring him to play. Can't imagine how frustrating that must have been.
Seriously? We started two guards who played at an all Big East level and had Hawkins behind them. Even in terms of lacking a back up PG, we were worse off in '05 where we had a French grad student walk on playing behind Marcus Williams as opposed to an underperforming Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Seriously? We started two guards who played at an all Big East level and had Hawkins behind them. Even in terms of lacking a back up PG, we were worse off in '05 where we had a French grad student walk on playing behind Marcus Williams as opposed to an underperforming Gaffney.

It’s going to be a long offseason of people saying ridiculous things.

Reaction Score
Yet we managed to finish 13-3 in the OBE, finish the season ranked 13 and win a tournament game

Reaction Score
I don't consider Martin a guard at all. More of a 3/4, his strength was his strength and improved outside shooting. We had one competent ballhandler until Andre stepped up and he's still a wing to me.

I think we were Sweet Sixteen at a minimum if Hurley took a point or combo last offseason. Wasted what could have been a deep run imo.
Imagine Cole getting to play off the ball with his stroke?? Woulda been nice. He wore down late in games often and missed big free throws on occasion I don't think he'd have missed if not playing high leverage 35+ mins.

I try to be open-minded, but feel pretty certain last year's guards (again, not counting Martin who did a ton of damage on the glass) were among the worst group (obv Cole was a warrior) we've had since i started watching in 1994. Again in the Pantheon of worst units, I remember the dire straights behind Marcus for sure, though he was an absolute stud, Cole was terrific but I don't think he's on Marcus' level. He was a first rounder and dominant college player.

Point is, I don't want Hurley to ever be in that situation again. I remember Calhoun saying something similar after that Williams and no one else year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to the mods of the PC board it did.
What is the main PC board? I remember checking in on it when they had that great team with God Shammgod/Croshere, been a while lol!

Reaction Score
The premium site must be where the actual basketball fans post because this is rich. Spoken like a true mid-major.

"Just an additional thought you triggered: If Floyd, after meeting with and getting to know Cooley, staff, school etc. a bit and knowing he would mostly sit next season to learn the Friar system and prepare to take over 2023 and beyond, still commits to PC, isn't it Telling that he bolted from Hurley and chose to play here with similar playing time yet believes in our system, our culture, our staff and our head coach over Uconn!!"

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The premium site must be where the actual basketball fans post because this is rich. Spoken like a true mid-major.

"Just an additional thought you triggered: If Floyd, after meeting with and getting to know Cooley, staff, school etc. a bit and knowing he would mostly sit next season to learn the Friar system and prepare to take over 2023 and beyond, still commits to PC, isn't it Telling that he bolted from Hurley and chose to play here with similar playing time yet believes in our system, our culture, our staff and our head coach over Uconn!!"

Just mad that their true rival will always be URI.

Reaction Score
Yet we managed to finish 13-3 in the OBE, finish the season ranked 13 and win a tournament game
Huh? We were good in 2005 without a backup point guard. What in the world does that have to do with what I actually said?

Reaction Score
I don't consider Martin a guard at all. More of a 3/4, his strength was his strength and improved outside shooting. We had one competent ballhandler until Andre stepped up and he's still a wing to me.

I think we were Sweet Sixteen at a minimum if Hurley took a point or combo last offseason. Wasted what could have been a deep run imo.
Imagine Cole getting to play off the ball with his stroke?? Woulda been nice. He wore down late in games often and missed big free throws on occasion I don't think he'd have missed if not playing high leverage 35+ mins.

I try to be open-minded, but feel pretty certain last year's guards (again, not counting Martin who did a ton of damage on the glass) were among the worst group (obv Cole was a warrior) we've had since i started watching in 1994. Again in the Pantheon of worst units, I remember the dire straights behind Marcus for sure, though he was an absolute stud, Cole was terrific but I don't think he's on Marcus' level. He was a first rounder and dominant college player.

Point is, I don't want Hurley to ever be in that situation again. I remember Calhoun saying something similar after that Williams and no one else year.
Cannot imagine watching the team last season and still insisting that Martin can't play guard. Hard to imagine being that myopic.

Reaction Score
Cannot imagine watching the team last season and still insisting that Martin can't play guard. Hard to imagine being that myopic.
Yes you’re right our ballhandling was amazing better than most years at UConn - Esp when Cole sat for 30 secs and our half court offense was a Picasso most of the season.

Denham Brown played guard too but I would consider him a 3 all day. I guess it’s semantics and we are in position less basketball. But the Boneyard is often all about personal attacks.

Reaction Score
Yes you’re right our ballhandling was amazing better than most years at UConn - Esp when Cole sat for 30 secs and our half court offense was a Picasso most of the season.

Denham Brown played guard too but I would consider him a 3 all day. I guess it’s semantics and we are in position less basketball. But the Boneyard is often all about personal attacks.
Martin had more handle than Denham and competently played the 2 Guard position last season. He picked his spots to drive into the paint but he was steady most of the season.

Reaction Score
Martin had more handle than Denham and competently played the 2 Guard position last season. He picked his spots to drive into the paint but he was steady most of the season.
Fair points. I guess we all see it differently. I’m always gonna favor having two guys that can get shots with the shot clock running down. Even Cole struggled often at end of games (not Nova I know).

My point is just we weren’t good enough handling the ball by UConn standards. And I’m not gonna be ok with lowering the standards and be happy with round 1 exits.

Further, we couldn’t take Cole out for any amount of time because of that deficiency. No matter who we call a guard we couldn’t take him out or let him play off the ball enough.

Let’s just agree to disagree. I see the other side for sure tho I’m kinda shocked people are ok with how we handled last year, but it is what it is.

Let’s just never be in that situation again!

Reaction Score
Fair points. I guess we all see it differently. I’m always gonna favor having two guys that can get shots with the shot clock running down. Even Cole struggled often at end of games (not Nova I know).

My point is just we weren’t good enough handling the ball by UConn standards. And I’m not gonna be ok with lowering the standards and be happy with round 1 exits.

Further, we couldn’t take Cole out for any amount of time because of that deficiency. No matter who we call a guard we couldn’t take him out or let him play off the ball enough.

Let’s just agree to disagree. I see the other side for sure tho I’m kinda shocked people are ok with how we handled last year, but it is what it is.

Let’s just never be in that situation again!
I don't know what were disagreeing about lol...

Martin was successful as a straight up 2 guard. 3pt shooting, some post up opportunities, some drives to the paint, finishing in traffic at a higher % than the prior season, and defending the wing.

But he wasn't a combo guard (ie. had no point guard / main ball handler responsibilities)

I agree we had a lack of ball handling over all and couldn't take Cole off the floor. But that was because Gaffney couldn't consistently handle the pressure of the role for the 4 mind per half that Hurley would've like to give Cole a rest. And Digginsc was even worse, to the point of being unplayable even in garbage time.

I think the goal is to fix that for next season but we have to be patient and wait to see how the staff fills out the roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom