2022 Recruiting: - Corey Floyd Jr. update 10/26/20 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Corey Floyd Jr. update 10/26/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posters seem to feel I have belittled Floyd by my comparison to Adams, and, by using the term 'rotational player' that I do not equate to 'back up' player. That feeling is extrapolated to suggesting it is absurd that Hurley sees him in that role if he is the top target at guard. That isn't really what I'm saying, so for some stupid reason I feel the need to reply.

When I wrote my original comment, I was viewing our typical roster as having 3 types of players. The alpha dogs that the opponents and sports columnists focus on and define the team identity. Secondly, all the other regular players rotating in and out, and thirdly, the bench reserves who we don't expect to regularly get in the games.

It is correct that I don't see him as the alpha dog player on a future team and maybe I'm wrong. To me, that is not a knock, and puts him in the same category as Gaffney who is a quality guard playing an important role, but likely will not be asked to carry the team on his back. Heck, I see Jackson as an alpha player, and even he likely won't be starting right away. Diggins will be a star but won't be confining Cole and Gaffney to the bench on day 1. Just about every player Hurley can recruit will need to develop to get court time.

The comparison to Adams is born out of style and timing. We lose Adams and will be replacing that scholarship with the 2022 class. Adams has a strong body style as does Floyd, they are about the same size, they both try to play tough defense. Adams shot just over 100 3's last year at 28%, he makes 40% in practice and Hurley said would be playing starters minutes if he was doing that in games. To me that suggests the rest of his game is 'starter worthy' in Hurley's eyes. Adams played 22 minutes a game as a soph with some quality outings, (admittedly with a short roster). I just don't think I have dissed Floyd to make the case that he could be recruited to play the same 22 minutes, provide some of the same toughness, and, with the possibility of maintaining that amount of play in a competitive roster if he shoots better.

Sorry for making a redundant post.

1. If you're using the term "rotational player" to describe what everyone else would call a "solid starter," I would suggest you not use your own term for things and wonder why no one understands you.

2. Adams was a last minute recruit when we changed coaches and Hurley found someone he thought could add something to fill a roster spot. He was not someone Hurley targeted a year and a half before an early signing date to play for UConn. And using "practice statistics" to describe someone who has played two seasons is more than a little bizarre.

Reaction Score
1. If you're using the term "rotational player" to describe what everyone else would call a "solid starter," I would suggest you not use your own term for things and wonder why no one understands you.

2. Adams was a last minute recruit when we changed coaches and Hurley found someone he thought could add something to fill a roster spot. He was not someone Hurley targeted a year and a half before an early signing date to play for UConn. And using "practice statistics" to describe someone who has played two seasons is more than a little bizarre.

I may be wrong but wasn’t Adams was recruited and signed to play for Hurley at URI.

So yes he was targeted by Hurley for a long time. So with that bring the case you look pretty foolish !!!

He was someone Hurley wanted here even after he changed jobs..

Insert foot in mouth please...

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but wasn’t Adams was recruited and signed to play for Hurley at URI.

So yes he was targeted by Hurley for a long time. So with that bring the case you look pretty foolish !!!

There's a difference between recruiting a kid to URI and recruiting a kid to UConn

Reaction Score
There's a difference between recruiting a kid to URI and recruiting a kid to UConn

Do you think Mr. Hurley is and was aware of that? But yet still brought him here?

Maybe tough kids who work their butts off are a important part of a winning program.
JC did not recruit all 5* and understood the need for guys just like Adams.

But I guess you expect all stud 5*’s

Reaction Score
Do you think Mr. Hurley is and was aware of that? But yet still brought him here?

Maybe tough kids who work their butts off are a important part of a winning program.

This turned into an Adams/Floyd thread because Adams was brought up in regards to Floyd's recruitment and the role he can fill, some people including myself disputed this because we think Floyd is better and someone Hurley is prioritizing...

You brought up Adams recruitment to URI and then UConn which is clearly different than Floyd's recruitment. Adams may have been a priority recruit for Hurley when he was at URI but he was just a piece Hurley was comfortable bringing to UConn, a depleted roster he was unfamiliar with and didn't recruit. Hurley is recruiting at an entirely different level at UConn now and Adams while a solid bench guy would not be prioritized today and my guess is he wouldn't be offered if he was coming out of school now. That's no knock on Adams.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Posters seem to feel I have belittled Floyd by my comparison to Adams, and, by using the term 'rotational player' that I do not equate to 'back up' player. That feeling is extrapolated to suggesting it is absurd that Hurley sees him in that role if he is the top target at guard. That isn't really what I'm saying, so for some stupid reason I feel the need to reply.

When I wrote my original comment, I was viewing our typical roster as having 3 types of players. The alpha dogs that the opponents and sports columnists focus on and define the team identity. Secondly, all the other regular players rotating in and out, and thirdly, the bench reserves who we don't expect to regularly get in the games.

It is correct that I don't see him as the alpha dog player on a future team and maybe I'm wrong. To me, that is not a knock, and puts him in the same category as Gaffney who is a quality guard playing an important role, but likely will not be asked to carry the team on his back. Heck, I see Jackson as an alpha player, and even he likely won't be starting right away. Diggins will be a star but won't be confining Cole and Gaffney to the bench on day 1. Just about every player Hurley can recruit will need to develop to get court time.

The comparison to Adams is born out of style and timing. We lose Adams and will be replacing that scholarship with the 2022 class. Adams has a strong body style as does Floyd, they are about the same size, they both try to play tough defense. Adams shot just over 100 3's last year at 28%, he makes 40% in practice and Hurley said would be playing starters minutes if he was doing that in games. To me that suggests the rest of his game is 'starter worthy' in Hurley's eyes. Adams played 22 minutes a game as a soph with some quality outings, (admittedly with a short roster). I just don't think I have dissed Floyd to make the case that he could be recruited to play the same 22 minutes, provide some of the same toughness, and, with the possibility of maintaining that amount of play in a competitive roster if he shoots better.

No explanation on your part needed
Thanks for all your input over time
It takes a bit longer to sink in - must be this strain of some kind of a virus - ;)

Reaction Score

Some here still focus on the rankings too much. Hurley has shown he looks for tangibles and intangibles and he's sure done a great job of identifying talented players that have their best days ahead of them.
Anyone who watched the Slam 16 game saw a player who stood out over two or three guys who have been highly rated and hyped both here and elsewhere. I'll go with the DH ratings over Rivals, ESPN and 247.

Reaction Score

Nope. Knew the facts and what I said. He was targeted by Hurley for Rhodey. If you think Hurley is targeting the same kids here that he was targeting at URI you're not paying attention.

Reaction Score

who are you arguing with? You are refuting easily refutable points that no one was making

Reaction Score
No idea what the argument is here, but it is interesting that 2 of the current 13 are guys he landed at Rhody. Of course UConn recruits have a higher floor than most guys who end up in the A10. Cox is also working to get the level of non-transfer recruits at Rhody back to where it was under Hurley as he continues to learn to build and manage a roster. Rankings can tell a lot. Familiarity and relationships help, too. That was part of what was in that article before some people got distracted with “are Jersey players even good.” Rankings in the current time are even wilder. No one is getting seen, really (shout out to those coaches who are able to market and show off their players but not everyone has the resources/opportunity), but there also aren’t those artificial bumps based on a single great day at a tournament.

They like Floyd, I like getting players from Roselle and Team Final. In some respects, Adams reminds me of Dan as a player (not his specific game obviously but a lot of the other stuff), but that’s a conversation for a different day. He has two years to put it all together. Please let there be any kind of real season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those who aren't inclined to watch the whole Roselle vs Trenton game. Floyd was 3-4 from 3 on open looks, had 1 good take to the basket before the defense was set, a loose ball ended with him at the rim, and he followed a shot where nobody blocked out. He also had a nice pull up 15ft that went down. The announcers said 17pts towards the end of the game and I don't think he added to that. He got a couple of good defensive rebounds contesting with similar sized players, missed a breakaway dunk, had a transition dunk blocked from behind without being fouled. He turned over the ball once that lead to a Trenton breakaway dunk, threw away a pass, and had 2 other passes tipped to become scrambles for loose balls that ended up not being turnovers. There was only 6 to 8 times where he was handling the ball looking to make any type of play, so he is not ball dominate. Totally plays with pace in the flow. Ideal to play with a guy like Diggins.

This was the first time our former target Niels Lane played in a Roselle game I happened to watch. He has a nice smooth game, above the rim finisher, and a decent shot. It is also the first time I've seen CJ Wilcher miss much, although he hit a couple late. Wilcher is my dark horse to make freshman noise in the Big East.

Lastly, I am thrilled we have Adama Sanogo and Samson Johnson vs Big Cliff. Cliff is a big time dunker when he gets a loose ball under the basket, hits his foul shots, looks pretty and runs well. I've probably seen him dunk the ball 50-60x and have yet to see him make a basketball play to get that dunk. He rises and throws it down off loose balls when the defense isn't set against him, or when another big is drawn away and he's against a guy 6'4 who can't get up with him. This game he was covered by a 6'6 guy with average build that only came up to Cliff's shoulders. Cliff scored a bunch, but very few when the defense was set. He has potential, but I have never understood his high ranking, and glad we went with guys that have more game.

UCannUConn was nice enough to link this. I'm just posting this for yarders who are curious about the game but don't have the time to watch for themselves. Obviously other posters may have a different take. I'm eagerly awaiting @businesslawyer's snark for that different take.

Reaction Score
For those who aren't inclined to watch the whole Roselle vs Trenton game. Floyd was 3-4 from 3 on open looks, had 1 good take to the basket before the defense was set, a loose ball ended with him at the rim, and he followed a shot where nobody blocked out. He also had a nice pull up 15ft that went down. The announcers said 17pts towards the end of the game and I don't think he added to that. He got a couple of good defensive rebounds contesting with similar sized players, missed a breakaway dunk, had a transition dunk blocked from behind without being fouled. He turned over the ball once that lead to a Trenton breakaway dunk, threw away a pass, and had 2 other passes tipped to become scrambles for loose balls that ended up not being turnovers. There was only 6 to 8 times where he was handling the ball looking to make any type of play, so he is not ball dominate. Totally plays with pace in the flow. Ideal to play with a guy like Diggins.

This was the first time our former target Niels Lane played in a Roselle game I happened to watch. He has a nice smooth game, above the rim finisher, and a decent shot. It is also the first time I've seen CJ Wilcher miss much, although he hit a couple late. Wilcher is my dark horse to make freshman noise in the Big East.

Lastly, I am thrilled we have Adama Sanogo and Samson Johnson vs Big Cliff. Cliff is a big time dunker when he gets a loose ball under the basket, hits his foul shots, looks pretty and runs well. I've probably seen him dunk the ball 50-60x and have yet to see him make a basketball play to get that dunk. He rises and throws it down off loose balls when the defense isn't set against him, or when another big is drawn away and he's against a guy 6'4 who can't get up with him. This game he was covered by a 6'6 guy with average build that only came up to Cliff's shoulders. Cliff scored a bunch, but very few when the defense was set. He has potential, but I have never understood his high ranking, and glad we went with guys that have more game.

UCannUConn was nice enough to link this. I'm just posting this for yarders who are curious about the game but don't have the time to watch for themselves. Obviously other posters may have a different take. I'm eagerly awaiting @businesslawyer's snark for that different take.

I'm sorry. Kiss your what?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This turned into an Adams/Floyd thread because Adams was brought up in regards to Floyd's recruitment and the role he can fill, some people including myself disputed this because we think Floyd is better and someone Hurley is prioritizing...

You brought up Adams recruitment to URI and then UConn which is clearly different than Floyd's recruitment. Adams may have been a priority recruit for Hurley when he was at URI but he was just a piece Hurley was comfortable bringing to UConn, a depleted roster he was unfamiliar with and didn't recruit. Hurley is recruiting at an entirely different level at UConn now and Adams while a solid bench guy would not be prioritized today and my guess is he wouldn't be offered if he was coming out of school now. That's no knock on Adams.

Sure. That aligns with my sense of him. He's a better Adams. I still think Adams is a Hurley type guard. Big, can defend multiple spots, physical, tough. So now he can recruit better "Hurley type guards" and we think Floyd Jr. is one.

I think some people are wrapped up in the notion that he doesn't seem to be a "star". But that's fine. He's the kind of 4 year player that other teams hate to play against when they are upper-classmen. Not sure why this has become an argument, since most people posting have similar views of him.

pj

Reaction Score

He's using the term "rotational player" to describe just what it means -- a player who may start or not, but he is a regular on the court. Usually there is an 8-man rotation by the end of the season. Those 8 players, typically 3 guards / 3 bigs / 2 wings in the classic 2 guard / 2 big / 1 wing set of on-court roles, give you the ability to rest a player in any role without having to go down the bench to a player with limited playing experience.

Reaction Score
IMO.... When he eventually makes his decision.. It will be a NBE school.. Wants to stay home..

Reaction Score
We’ve been on him for a long long time . Nova coming in late doesn’t scare me here .

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
really hate how 7 turns to 8 so quick
Yea I don’t like when they add schools to their lists. Those schools often turn into the ones to beat. Especially local schools during the covid era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom