2022 Recruiting: - Corey Floyd Jr. update 10/26/20 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Corey Floyd Jr. update 10/26/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nobody seems more polarizing on this board than Brendan adams, people’s opinions vary so widely. I think this kid has a much higher ceiling than adams. If true and the staff looks at him as this classes biggest priority there is any way they would put that big of a priority on a role player. They must see something special

Reaction Score
Nobody seems more polarizing on this board than Brendan adams, people’s opinions vary so widely. I think this kid has a much higher ceiling than adams. If true and the staff looks at him as this classes biggest priority there is any way they would put that big of a priority on a role player. They must see something special
Clingan is the biggest priority in the class.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
IMO.. Floyd is more than a rotational player.. Jay and DH both like guards who have high character.. high BB IQ.. two way players that can shoot... I trust their eye for talent.. He outplayed most of the guards (except for Sool..different position) in the Slam.. Kinda has a Jerome Dyson vibe to parts of his game..
The best part of Floyd is that he fits the mold of what Hurley is looking to do on the perimeter. He plays down hill, uses a jump stop, prefers to operate at the top of the key. He’s a prototype for Hurley similar to the guards he had at URI, except more athletic. Hurley doesn’t want a ton of dribbling so the fact that he doesn’t have the best handles isn’t that much of a negative

Reaction Score
Anyone you target recruiting is a priority.
My point was if hurley looks at him as a priority over other better ranked players he obviously isn’t looking at him as a backup or safety type player. Your missing the nuance of the discussion

Reaction Score
My point was if hurley looks at him as a priority over other better ranked players he obviously isn’t looking at him as a backup or safety type player. Your missing the nuance of the discussion
His ranking will be affected by a shortened AAU schedule this past summer and an adjusted HS schedule this year.. Classic DH move to build relationships before rankings bump.. Ala Sool/Samson/JHawk... Corey plays way better than his ranking...No longer "under the radar".. Coaches/Staff with an eye for talent see his upside..Trust the Carpenter..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His ranking will be affected by a shortened AAU schedule this past summer and an adjusted HS schedule this year.. Classic DH move to build relationships before rankings bump.. Ala Sool/Samson/JHawk... Corey plays way better than his ranking...No longer "under the radar".. Coaches/Staff with an eye for talent see his upside..Trust the Carpenter..

Agreed. Let's not caught up in rankings here. Almost definitely a top 100 guy if normal AAU season.

Reaction Score
Never once did I say I doubted hurley, I said hurley wouldn’t designate a guy our priority at the 2/3 and be thinking of him as a backup/brendan adams type. Was speaking more about expectations once he arrives if hurley is choosing to focus more effort on him than other higher ranked players

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This was also a specialty of JC.

Reaction Score
Never once did I say I doubted hurley, I said hurley wouldn’t designate a guy our priority at the 2/3 and be thinking of him as a backup/brendan adams type. Was speaking more about expectations once he arrives if hurley is choosing to focus more effort on him than other higher ranked players
Not sure where that vibe came from but I'll say one last thing about CF before I move on to another thread.. If we are lucky enough to get his commitment sometime in the future.. IMO.. By the time he steps on campus in Storrs.. His ranking will have been adjusted to be in the Sool/Samson/JHawk range because of his continued improvement in HS prior to college..

Reaction Score
Posters seem to feel I have belittled Floyd by my comparison to Adams, and, by using the term 'rotational player' that I do not equate to 'back up' player. That feeling is extrapolated to suggesting it is absurd that Hurley sees him in that role if he is the top target at guard. That isn't really what I'm saying, so for some stupid reason I feel the need to reply.

When I wrote my original comment, I was viewing our typical roster as having 3 types of players. The alpha dogs that the opponents and sports columnists focus on and define the team identity. Secondly, all the other regular players rotating in and out, and thirdly, the bench reserves who we don't expect to regularly get in the games.

It is correct that I don't see him as the alpha dog player on a future team and maybe I'm wrong. To me, that is not a knock, and puts him in the same category as Gaffney who is a quality guard playing an important role, but likely will not be asked to carry the team on his back. Heck, I see Jackson as an alpha player, and even he likely won't be starting right away. Diggins will be a star but won't be confining Cole and Gaffney to the bench on day 1. Just about every player Hurley can recruit will need to develop to get court time.

The comparison to Adams is born out of style and timing. We lose Adams and will be replacing that scholarship with the 2022 class. Adams has a strong body style as does Floyd, they are about the same size, they both try to play tough defense. Adams shot just over 100 3's last year at 28%, he makes 40% in practice and Hurley said would be playing starters minutes if he was doing that in games. To me that suggests the rest of his game is 'starter worthy' in Hurley's eyes. Adams played 22 minutes a game as a soph with some quality outings, (admittedly with a short roster). I just don't think I have dissed Floyd to make the case that he could be recruited to play the same 22 minutes, provide some of the same toughness, and, with the possibility of maintaining that amount of play in a competitive roster if he shoots better.

Sorry for making a redundant post.

Reaction Score
You bring so much to the board Mr. Ricker don't ever be sorry. Luv your scouting reports and takes and the time you spend bringing us up to speed on certain players most of us don't get to see till they arrive on our campus.

Reaction Score
Posters seem to feel I have belittled Floyd by my comparison to Adams, and, by using the term 'rotational player' that I do not equate to 'back up' player. That feeling is extrapolated to suggesting it is absurd that Hurley sees him in that role if he is the top target at guard. That isn't really what I'm saying, so for some stupid reason I feel the need to reply.

When I wrote my original comment, I was viewing our typical roster as having 3 types of players. The alpha dogs that the opponents and sports columnists focus on and define the team identity. Secondly, all the other regular players rotating in and out, and thirdly, the bench reserves who we don't expect to regularly get in the games.

It is correct that I don't see him as the alpha dog player on a future team and maybe I'm wrong. To me, that is not a knock, and puts him in the same category as Gaffney who is a quality guard playing an important role, but likely will not be asked to carry the team on his back. Heck, I see Jackson as an alpha player, and even he likely won't be starting right away. Diggins will be a star but won't be confining Cole and Gaffney to the bench on day 1. Just about every player Hurley can recruit will need to develop to get court time.

The comparison to Adams is born out of style and timing. We lose Adams and will be replacing that scholarship with the 2022 class. Adams has a strong body style as does Floyd, they are about the same size, they both try to play tough defense. Adams shot just over 100 3's last year at 28%, he makes 40% in practice and Hurley said would be playing starters minutes if he was doing that in games. To me that suggests the rest of his game is 'starter worthy' in Hurley's eyes. Adams played 22 minutes a game as a soph with some quality outings, (admittedly with a short roster). I just don't think I have dissed Floyd to make the case that he could be recruited to play the same 22 minutes, provide some of the same toughness, and, with the possibility of maintaining that amount of play in a competitive roster if he shoots better.

I understood what you meant. He projects as a core piece of our team, but not a star (yet). It's a fair assessment. One of our problems recently has been that our #3-8 rotations guys havent been very good. When your #3-5 guy is as talented as Floyd Jr. it makes you dangerous in the tourney

Reaction Score

You have stated your perspective well and I agree with it.. As they say in Jersey.. Fuggedaboutit.. All good...

Reaction Score
Not sure where that vibe came from but I'll say one last thing about CF before I move on to another thread.. If we are lucky enough to get his commitment sometime in the future.. IMO.. By the time he steps on campus in Storrs.. His ranking will have been adjusted to be in the Sool/Samson/JHawk range because of his continued improvement in HS prior to college..
Nothing I disagree with, my opinion was that if hurley likes him over higher ranked players he obviously has high expectations for the kid. I don’t know how you read from my post of a distrust of hurleys plan.

Reaction Score
Nothing I disagree with, my opinion was that if hurley likes him over higher ranked players he obviously has high expectations for the kid. I don’t know how you read from my post of a distrust of hurleys plan.
Think we agree on this.. So let's move on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom