Cord Cutters | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I don't miss traditional cable at all and neither does the SO who I thought might have a transition phase. The DVR function is much superior than cable.

I cut the cord 6-9 months back in large part based on information I got from The Yard, thanks. Its been a great decision. So much so that my wife has asked me to come on here to solicit opinions about other things.

I do like the DVR function on YouTubeTV but have you figured out how to delete things from your library after watching them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just negotiated with Comcast. Was paying 305 for cable, land line and internet, and got it down to about 215.brutal to them about the real price will be $215? They said yes and no contract to hold me. I agreed for now (hoping YouTube tv gets yes back)
New Bill came: $230! Unbelievable.
Holy crap. I was paying 180 for cable, land line and internet. I still have the land line and internet.

Paying less than $100 a month now. I bought my own cable modem and wireless router to get rid of the crappy rental fees.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I had an expanded package with HBO, a huge on demand section and talk into remote controls with 3 tvs. But still, I was getting reamed. Modem and router are next step but I am still planning to just get internet from them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I suggest buying a modem before you cut the cord. Once I cut the cord, they started charging $9/mo for modem rental. Nine bucks for a modem we'd had for 5 years.

And make sure you get the one that fits your situation. I.E. if you get the Gig level internet you need a modem that can handle it. And if you get rid of your landline you don't need a modem with a landline port.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I suggest buying a modem before you cut the cord. Once I cut the cord, they started charging $9/mo for modem rental. Nine bucks for a modem we'd had for 5 years.

And make sure you get the one that fits your situation. I.E. if you get the Gig level internet you need a modem that can handle it. And if you get rid of your landline you don't need a modem with a landline port.
Thanks. Will do.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Look into Ooma for your landline phone option. It’s like $7 a month for home phone, if you desire one.

Reaction Score
Cord has been cut for this coming Saturday. According to fios, my set-up inside maxes out around my current speed. They need to get in the house to push us up to the gigabit speed. I think the gigabit is overkill, but it's only a couple bucks more (or maybe even the same) than the 400mbps when they get done with all their discounts and add-ons. That's clearly where they are pushing people. We'll be on our current 75/75 speed until fios can come into the house to install something new.

Fios is also giving you a free month of YouTube tv with the gigabit service (I think it's only 2 weeks when you go direct to YouTube). I was planning on starting with YouTube anyway, since I don't need YES channel at this time.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Would 100 Mbps be ok for basic tv streaming, Zoom with no gaming or other intensive uses?

Thanks

Reaction Score
And here we go. Youtube TV has raised their price to $65 a month...
Wow that is quite a hike. I'm using sling Blue right now since there is no real sports I care about besides soccer. I guess I will go with Hulu TV in the fall. It kind of sucks that nobody has a lower breakup of channels like Sling does. This just becoming cable prices.

Reaction Score
And here we go. Youtube TV has raised their price to $65 a month...
Just saw that! Crazy jump of $15 per month! That really freakin' sucks. I basically jumped from one monopoly (cable) to another (streaming services).

From what I can tell they are in essence the same as Hulu if you want similar services (and like Hulu's other content). Hulu is $60.99, but you need to add on $14.98 per month if you want to be able to fast forward ads on your DVR recordings and want more than 2 streams at the same time. Subtract the $11.99 for the Hulu (no ads) services and you get $63.98. So you get a $1.02 discount on Hulu for buying all their stuff. You can save some money if you go with Hulu with ads.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised at the big jump for YouTube. Even with this, I'm still paying half as much. One good thing about OTT, you can add and drop services with just a couple of clicks.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has had both youtube and hulu plus compare them? Youtube tapes any show you want without limit.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just got an email from YouTube TV, they added Viacom networks but their price is going up $15 a month. So I guess Hulu is the way to go now?

EDIT: I opened this thread 3 hours ago the got sidetracked before I posted, looks like someone beat me to the punch.

GemParty

Reaction Score
You Tube added several channels. The hike stinks, but it allowed us to drop Philo now. Too many duplicate channels. It seams, they were out to crush Cable, then will become Cable prices.

Reaction Score
I was always hoping that streaming would have true a la carte pricing but the only one who has anything similar to this is Sling. I don't want more channels. I want the ability to pick and choose my channels and if not that granular at least packages.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom