Copycats | The Boneyard

Copycats

Reaction Score
With the success that Uconn is having with its program, I’m wondering if any other coaches are running the same or similar system. Any thoughts on programs which you believe are Uconn like at any level?

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They run the similar offenses. And Muffets players are well-conditioned, physically, and play every minute of the game to the best of their ability.

Of course, both Geno and Muffet learned from Jim Foster, so.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would also add Cory Close & UCLA to a degree. The problem is that while you can try to copy what UConn WBB does, and you might get close, it’s impossible to duplicate what the Huskies do.

Part of the problem is that Geno and his experienced coaching staff implement changes to how the Huskies prepare and play every season. This season, after spending some time with Brad Stevens & the Celtics Geno has committed the Huskies to “playing faster then any team in the country.”

The other element that makes it difficult to duplicate what UConn does is the players themselves. Their combination of talent and intelligence allow UConn WBB players to pick up concepts quickly and execute them flawlessly.

Reaction Score
They run the similar offenses. And Muffets players are well-conditioned, physically, and play every minute of the game to the best of their ability.

They may attempt to run a similar offense however last game I watched their point guard was not very patient and took way too many shots early. Maybe the discipline or ways to correct it is lacking.

Reaction Score
Certainly, whatever discipline ND had broke down in the 4th qtr.

Yes, few achieve Geno's level. Drawing out greatness is a very special talent, born by few, but seems to be galloping in Geno's veins.

Reaction Score
With the success that Uconn is having with its program, I’m wondering if any other coaches are running the same or similar system. Any thoughts on programs which you believe are Uconn like at any level?

Not something you can just decide to do. You also have to have Geno's insight into when to push buttons and how hard to push them. A talent not a decision. Push the wrong button and you lose/destroy a player.

Reaction Score
I always wonder if Geno is like a great cook who shares his famous recipe for a scrumptious desert, but leaves out a key ingredient. "Oh, I forgot to tell you to add a teaspoon of cinnamon." :rolleyes:

Sound's an awful like Geno!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its not the system that Geno Runs that has lead to his successes. The reason for his success is Chris Dailey and Geno's demand that the players act the UConn way both on and off the court. Geno and Chris tweak their system based on the players playing abilities.

Geno and Chris came up with the UConn way when they were first hired and from all reported sources haven't significantly deviated from what they demand of their players. While others appear to lessen and/or adjust their demands on players based on today's players, Geno and Chris remain consistent. Its the UConn way or we don't need you. Then when a player decides to attend UConn and becomes an All American, its still the UConn way and if you don't exhibit the UConn way, you're benched. Doesn't matter if you're an All American or a Role player. Playing time is Earned and not a Right.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Its not the system that Geno Runs that has lead to his successes. The reason for his success is Chris Dailey and Geno's demand that the players act the UConn way both on and off the court. Geno and Chris tweak their system based on the players playing abilities.

Geno and Chris came up with the UConn way when they were first hired and from all reported sources haven't significantly deviated from what they demand of their players. While others appear to lessen and/or adjust their demands on players based on today's players, Geno and Chris remain consistent. Its the UConn way or we don't need you. Then when a player decides to attend UConn and becomes an All American, its still the UConn way and if you don't exhibit the UConn way, you're benched. Doesn't matter if you're an All American or a Role player. Playing time is Earned and not a Right.
Sure sounds like a system to me. Pretty good one too.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I would also add Cory Close & UCLA to a degree. The problem is that while you can try to copy what UConn WBB does, and you might get close, it’s impossible to duplicate what the Huskies do.

Part of the problem is that Geno and his experienced coaching staff implement changes to how the Huskies prepare and play every season. This season, after spending some time with Brad Stevens & the Celtics Geno has committed the Huskies to “playing faster then any team in the country.”

The other element that makes it difficult to duplicate what UConn does is the players themselves. Their combination of talent and intelligence allow UConn WBB players to pick up concepts quickly and execute them flawlessly.

I'm reminded of a comment from EDD as she was coached on the national team by Geno. My paraphrase--He has a way of putting things.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Agree completely but it really helps when you can continuously recruit smart, talented and highly motivated players. As Geno has said many times, “the key to motivating your team is to recruit highly motivated players.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not previously mentioned
Oregon State Women
Villanova Men
Duke Men

Reaction Score
I agree of course with the incredible hard work. No one seems to be able to demand--and get--quite so much from their players year after year. But--and I say this with the greatest possible respect--Geno's greatest talent and one that is absolutely unique is his ability to con his players. Even though they are completely onto his game by now, he still manages to prod and mystify and keep them wanting to break through to the next level of excellence. He doesn't just coach basketball, he narrates basketball. The season has a beginning, middle, and end. Each player has her own story about personal development and contribution to the team. Who else can tell stories like Geno? He has them believing in their own personal drama and contribution. Here's a good example (below). Who else can be so animated, so confident that his intervention was appropriate and effective? Geno simultaneously can make everything seem more important than basketball and also make basketball appear to be the lens through which one can view all the important things in life.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not previously mentioned
Oregon State Women
Villanova Men
Duke Men
I’ll buy OSU’s women’s team, but the men’s game really is a different game depending much more on isolation mismatches then the women’s game. I agree that Duke & Nova are among the very best at exploiting those mismatches, but if I had a player like Marvin Bagley III on my team, I’d probably try to run my offense through him every time down the court.

Reaction Score

That’s a great system!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

It may be style preference, but often the Notre Dame woman seem bulkier than what might be considered optimum for elite woman's BB play.
I surmise that Mabrey for example might be a real demon -20 pounds.

I'm not sure if this subject crosses taboo lines, please advise

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It may be style preference, but often the Notre Dame woman seem bulkier than what might be considered optimum for elite woman's BB play.
I surmise that Mabrey for example might be a real demon -20 pounds.

I'm not sure if this subject crosses taboo lines, please advise
Not cool!
line.jpg

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I interpreted the original post to be how Geno runs his offensive and defensive play on the Court during a game. I was trying to point out, its not how the team plays on the court, it what happens off the court that has led to his successes. Playing time is Earned not a Right.

Sure sounds like a system to me.Pretty goo one too.[/QUO

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, few achieve Geno's level. Drawing out greatness is a very special talent, born by few, but seems to be galloping in Geno's veins.
I would say so far that none have. It's not just that he has won 11 NC's and nobody else is even close (except for the great Pat Summitt). It's the history of sustained excellence. For that history, Summit comes close - she won 6 NC's between 1987-1998 then had a gap (some NC finals losing to UCONN), then won a pair in Parker's years (would NOT have happened without the JUCO transfer Bobbitt IMHO) 2007-2008. That's a 20 year span to win 8 NC's. So incredible.

Having said that, since Geno's 1st NC in 1995, he's won 11 thru 2017. Sadly, with Pat no longer with us, there is no other coach that even comes close to the success Geno has had. And it's not that he's selfish with his desire to share. He has invited pretty much anyone who wants desires, to come watch practices and see how he does it. Cori Close and several others have taken him up on it.

For all the ribbing that UCONN fans gave Pat for going to Harry for advice on offense (there were funny photo shopped pictures of them in a hot tub), you absolutely have to give Pat credit for knowing what she didn't know, and going out to try to fix it. Geno has done the same thing - famously going to NBA games and picking the brains of some of the greatest coaches in the league. He's a sponge and a true student of the game - never ashamed to ask and learn something new. He has an ego, but not where learning is concerned.

It's not just about fitness and intensity tho. There are many clips of Geno at practices. I know he doesn't run every single practice for 2 hours from start to finish, but when he's out on the court with the players, he's CONTINUALLY coaching, talking, teaching, yelling, instructing, etc etc. I can't see how any kid could go to a practice and not be blown away at his coaching brilliance. It's something that IMHO no other coach possesses, not even Tara or Muffet (IMHO the 2 best other coaches not named Geno).

Reaction Score
Geno is caustic, sarcastic, sometimes insulting to his players, but he can also be very funny, sweet and charming. Somebody, may be Jeff Jacobs once said that Geno can be a very successful stand in comic. So he can get away with his criticism while others coaches cannot. In addition, Geno has a relationship and loyalty with his players, old and new which is formed by bonds of hard work and achieved excellence and of course championships. Try to duplicate that!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom