Copycats | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Copycats

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is caustic, sarcastic, sometimes insulting to his players, but he can also be very funny, sweet and charming. Somebody, may be Jeff Jacobs once said that Geno can be a very successful stand in comic. So he can get away with his criticism while others coaches cannot. In addition, Geno has a relationship and loyalty with his players, old and new which is formed by bonds of hard work and achieved excellence and of course championships. Try to duplicate that!!!
Yes, but at the core of Geno’s dealings with his players is a barely concealed affection and pride for each and every one of them.

Reaction Score
I would say so far that none have. It's not just that he has won 11 NC's and nobody else is even close (except for the great Pat Summitt). It's the history of sustained excellence. For that history, Summit comes close - she won 6 NC's between 1987-1998 then had a gap (some NC finals losing to UCONN), then won a pair in Parker's years (would NOT have happened without the JUCO transfer Bobbitt IMHO) 2007-2008. That's a 20 year span to win 8 NC's. So incredible.

Having said that, since Geno's 1st NC in 1995, he's won 11 thru 2017. Sadly, with Pat no longer with us, there is no other coach that even comes close to the success Geno has had. And it's not that he's selfish with his desire to share. He has invited pretty much anyone who wants desires, to come watch practices and see how he does it. Cori Close and several others have taken him up on it.

For all the ribbing that UCONN fans gave Pat for going to Harry for advice on offense (there were funny photo shopped pictures of them in a hot tub), you absolutely have to give Pat credit for knowing what she didn't know, and going out to try to fix it. Geno has done the same thing - famously going to NBA games and picking the brains of some of the greatest coaches in the league. He's a sponge and a true student of the game - never ashamed to ask and learn something new. He has an ego, but not where learning is concerned.

It's not just about fitness and intensity tho. There are many clips of Geno at practices. I know he doesn't run every single practice for 2 hours from start to finish, but when he's out on the court with the players, he's CONTINUALLY coaching, talking, teaching, yelling, instructing, etc etc. I can't see how any kid could go to a practice and not be blown away at his coaching brilliance. It's something that IMHO no other coach possesses, not even Tara or Muffet (IMHO the 2 best other coaches not named Geno).

He does go to watch and talk to the best coaches, but he also goes to any high school game he can and says he always takes away something.
What jumped out at me from his last presser was the comment that this year he has a bunch of players who do one thing extremely well but aren't versatile. He said that his best teams always had players who could do a lot of things well. Wonder if this is reparable. If the present team is going to be BOAT, doesn't it have to acquire the components of greatness he feels the team may be missing? And how does this affect the manner in which the team offense is designed? Prognosis anyone?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
He does go to watch and talk to the best coaches, but he also goes to any high school game he can and says he always takes away something.
What jumped out at me from his last presser was the comment that this year he has a bunch of players who do one thing extremely well but aren't versatile. He said that his best teams always had players who could do a lot of things well. Wonder if this is reparable. If the present team is going to be BOAT, doesn't it have to acquire the components of greatness he feels the team may be missing? And how does this affect the manner in which the team offense is designed? Prognosis anyone?
IMO no. BOAT are great discussions but only for us fans. This team, like every UCONN team before it, is living in the here and now and is only consumed by what it takes to win this year. Despite the hysteria created by 3/4 of the ND game or even the carryover from Mississippi St. this team has enough tools and talent to win it all now. However, Geno and the UCONN staff are by nature insatiable perfectionist, for whom the current tool set is not and has never been good enough. Therefore, the UCONN staff will continue to tinker, improve, perfect (offensively & defensively) and are perfectly willing to leave behind those players and opponents that are not of like mind. Any player sitting on the UCONN bench thinking anything besides "I need to get better at A-Z" will not last. Any UCONN opponent ( past, present , or future) thinking "I just need to bring my A game" and hope UCONN brings a less than A game" is in for a rude awakening.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They may attempt to run a similar offense however last game I watched their point guard was not very patient and took way too many shots early. Maybe the discipline or ways to correct it is lacking.

ND is breaking in a new point guard and it's only December. Thompson is a distant 5th on the team in FGA so I don't see how she's taking "way too many" shots of any kind. Unless you meant Mabrey? Ogunbowale is not the point guard.

Regardless of execution, ND's offense does feature many of the same concepts that UConn. Somebody on ESPN (Antonelli, maybe) did a really good breakdown of the similarities a couple years back.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The biggest difference from an outsider...

When I watched Uconns games at the beginning of the season when you seemed at full strength, I was like holy ..... your defense was pretty darn amazing. Add in a couple health problems and it has taken a hit. If the same defense was currently playing like it did those first couple of games then we are probably looking at your games differently now.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Regardless of execution, ND's offense does feature many of the same concepts that UConn. Somebody on ESPN (Antonelli, maybe) did a really good breakdown of the similarities a couple years back.

Speaking of Antonelli, I believe she said on the dishin&swishin podcast that she think Notre Dame is better with Shepard than with Turner. She also thinks South Carolina is better this season or at least has the potential to be better.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
In my humble opinion... teams need to run on Notre Dame as Shepard struggles with a faster paced game.

Reaction Score
ND is breaking in a new point guard and it's only December. Thompson is a distant 5th on the team in FGA so I don't see how she's taking "way too many" shots of any kind. Unless you meant Mabrey? Ogunbowale is not the point guard.

Think they meant Ogunbowale. She’s a chucker. She probably wouldn’t play for us if she took that many shots.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Speaking of Antonelli, I believe she said on the dishin&swishin podcast that she think Notre Dame is better with Shepard than with Turner.

Maybe on offense. Shepard is a better passer and has more sophisticated offensive game. Turner is a better finisher from close range. Also better in transition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe on offense. Shepard is a better passer and has more sophisticated offensive game. Turner is a better finisher from close range. Also better in transition.
I'll reiterate what I said during the game last Sunday. Shepard is a changed player. Last year at Nebraska she was content to hang around the perimeter and chuck 3-pt shots, so Gabby absolutely shut her down. Credit MM's coaching, as well as Shepard's willingness for making a commitment to play in the paint, where she is far more effective as a scorer, rebounder and passer.

Reaction Score
That's just Geno getting under the players' skin. Gabby, Lou, Napheesa, Kia, Crystal and Z all do more than one thing well. However, Geno wouldn't be Geno if he didn't have something to complain about.

Reaction Score
Think they meant Ogunbowale. She’s a chucker. She probably wouldn’t play for us if she took that many shots.
I did she handle the rock so much I assumed she was the point lol. No discipline. That’s not a system.

Reaction Score
They run the similar offenses. And Muffets players are well-conditioned, physically, and play every minute of the game to the best of their ability.

Of course, both Geno and Muffet learned from Jim Foster, so.....
You are right---Muffet, isn't stupid, she takes, as Geno takes, from Geno and uses anything she can use with her existing players. There is something about---The greatest praise of another is ??? Seems Muffet is often praising Geno.
Tara has in recent years modified her offenses--she needs work on defensive's to again be in the ND/Uconn category--but she shall.

Reaction Score
Agree completely but it really helps when you can continuously recruit smart, talented and highly motivated players. As Geno has said many times, “the key to motivating your team is to recruit highly motivated players.”

@oldude---Some (un-named) coaches in WBB recruit some talent that is, during recruiting, considered among the very best. Some Uconn WBB fans were envious. As the season's progress it becomes apparent that lots of Talent alone wasn't the particular answer.

Geno is OPEN, he allows many coaches who ask to attend his practices and to pick his brain--that's OPEN. So why don't other coaches, who aren't ignorant on BB or low intelligent individuals, why can't they come close to matching his successes.
The unique qualities only Geno possesses: The ability to get 18 to 23 year olds to believe and accept his really really really physically and mentally demanding priorities, to use their own intelligence and physical attributes to their fullest.

Heck--it's easy any coach of WBB can do it--isn't it written somewhere--women are easier to coach than MEN???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@oldude---Some (un-named) coaches in WBB recruit some talent that is, during recruiting, considered among the very best. Some Uconn WBB fans were envious. As the season's progress it becomes apparent that lots of Talent alone wasn't the particular answer.

Geno is OPEN, he allows many coaches who ask to attend his practices and to pick his brain--that's OPEN. So why don't other coaches, who aren't ignorant on BB or low intelligent individuals, why can't they come close to matching his successes.
The unique qualities only Geno possesses: The ability to get 18 to 23 year olds to believe and accept his really really really physically and mentally demanding priorities, to use their own intelligence and physical attributes to their fullest.

Heck--it's easy any coach of WBB can do it--isn't it written somewhere--women are easier to coach than MEN???
No doubt Geno and his staff bring out the best in their players, but it all starts with getting the right players to buy into the system and be able to make it work.

Reaction Score
Haven't heard anything from them...
I really tried to word it in an inoffensive way
Why do you find it so?
If it was a guy, there wouldn't be a peep.
Do woman get special. preferential treatment?
I've always been a big supporter of complete inequality.
Was even attacked by a parent in High School open school week for such remarks.
Sensed it might ruffle some feathers as it did yours;
but I'm not exactly sure why.
I thought your comments were fine. And true.

Reaction Score
No.
doubt Geno and his staff bring out the best in their players, but it all starts with getting the right players to buy into the system and be able to make it work.
Of course you were right and now too are correct: As Geno has stated many times during his career---Top talent recruits/player make a coach look really good. You don't have his success without REAL top talent--that is a given. If I appeared to argue against that--I apologize, that would be an ignorant argument (not that I don't use ignorance)

My argument/comment (I don't argue with you) was that other coaches tend to get top talent, some import Europeans with expertise, some recruit away from Uconn the best of the best. It would appear they don't have Geno's success. No point in repeating here my thought on that subject.
NO Disagreement--you can't win with out top talent--look at Uconn's down years for proof.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Here's what Debbie said:

Notre Dame

Shepard's eligibility changes everything for ND. While Turner is a terrific defensive player (rim protector and rebounder) most of her offense was on put-backs and drop-offs. Shepard is a pick and pop player who can score outside beyond the arc or at the high post, is a better passer and facilitator. Up til now Mabrey has been the 4th option on offense. Shepard brings a better skill set to what McGraw likes to run.

South Carolina

They're better this year than last year even though this year might not result in a championship. They are easier to watch, better team speed, the ball moves better and doesn't get stuck and Jennings is a better compliment to Wilson than Coates was. Jennings could be (and should be) the best offensive rebounder in the country. She's the perfect compliment to Wilson and gives SC a big and powerful front line. They are better than I thought they'd be.

Debbie and David also talked about the transfer rule, specifically Shepard's eligibility. She's not ready to go to immediate eligibility for all transfers but is concerned about how a player is eligible here and another one isn't over there. There's no way to know the justification for these decisions. She did point out Florida State's success in getting transfers immediately eligible (e.g., Chatrice White) and wondered if that played a role in Shepard's eligibility. In other words, how do you allow it for one ACC team and not for another ACC team. She and David agreed that these decisions can shape the balance of power in WBB.

Here's a link

Dishin and Swishin | Debbie Antonelli On College Season And More

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course you were right and now too are correct: As Geno has stated many times during his career---Top talent recruits/player make a coach look really good. You don't have his success without REAL top talent--that is a given. If I appeared to argue against that--I apologize, that would be an ignorant argument (not that I don't use ignorance)

My argument/comment (I don't argue with you) was that other coaches tend to get top talent, some import Europeans with expertise, some recruit away from Uconn the best of the best. It would appear they don't have Geno's success. No point in repeating here my thought on that subject.
NO Disagreement--you can't win with out top talent--look at Uconn's down years for proof.
Excellent point. Of course you can also recruit top talent and still not win consistently, like a certain program in TN. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Haven't heard anything from them...
I really tried to word it in an inoffensive way
Why do you find it so?
If it was a guy, there wouldn't be a peep.
Do woman get special. preferential treatment?
I've always been a big supporter of complete inequality.
Was even attacked by a parent in High School open school week for such remarks.
Sensed it might ruffle some feathers as it did yours;
but I'm not exactly sure why.
There's an extreme sensitivity to weight comments regarding women, much more so than men, because of the unattainable ideal that a gal can't be too thin. Women have been tortured by this expectation and few guys can even begin to understand it. Women and women athletes have a variety of body types and thinking that they would be better if they lost weight is demeaning and just wrong. Mawbrey played most of the game at a fast pace and didn't appear to be winded or tired- and scored 21 points, so why would 20 pounds less make her better?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There's an extreme sensitivity to weight comments regarding women, much more so than men, because of the unattainable ideal that a gal can't be too thin. Women have been tortured by this expectation and few guys can even begin to understand it. Women and women athletes have a variety of body types and thinking that they would be better if they lost weight is demeaning and just wrong. Mawbrey played most of the game at a fast pace and didn't appear to be winded or tired- and scored 21 points, so why would 20 pounds less make her better?
Wonderful post. I just watched Marty last night on TCM, one of my favorite all-time movies made in 1955, in which two lonely souls with self-image problems, played by Ernest Borgnine & Betsy Blair find each other. Marty, played by Borgnine, is badgered by his so-called friends to dump Clara, played by Blair, who they ridicule for her looks. In the end Marty rejects his friends cruel insensitivity and chooses to be with Clara.

The picture was nominated for 8 Academy Awards, winning 4 including Best Picture and Best Actor (Borgnine). It had immense appeal in its day and still resonates today because there are a lot more Marty's and Clara's out there than there are people with perfect looks and body types.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom