Copa America Centenario - US Hosting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario - US Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I disappointed that Morris isn't on the roster. But I doubt he was left off because he turned down Werder Bremen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Friendly. ..blah blah blah
Disinterested opponent...blah blah blah.
One game, blah blah blah.

I've seen all I need to see. The left side of Johnson, Nagbe, and Pulisic is what I want to see every match assuming they are fit enough to go the full 90. Those three plus Bradley moved the ball like no US team I've seen in 27 years of watching this squad. No one else need apply right now.

Nagbe was incredibly calm on the ball and conformable in tight space without turning the ball over. Forget the goal as he had all day to chest that down which won't happen often. He is the middle/attacking third possession midfielder we've needed for years.

Pulisic is also better than any young player we've seen since the class of 2002. He's way better than Zardes, Johannson, Zusi, Bedoya (both looked very old and slow on the right in contrast to the left side) Zusi did make the best run I've seen this week not made by Wayne Rooney. The right wing is still open, so both are still in the picture for now.

What cinched to me on Pulisic, was the sequence where he was knocked off the ball like the 90 pounder he is, shook it off and jumped right back at the guy and won the ball. He'd earlier shouldered a couple different guys off the ball. The kid is a fighter and has obvious speed and skill.

Bobby Wood, if he isn't our number one striker, then I don't know anything. The goals may not come against top competition but he makes things happen in the box better than anyone else. Right now he and Dempsey are my top two, though it caused some positional issues.

Bradley is final where Klinsmann should have had him all along. Let Jones run forward for as long as his 73 year old legs can carry him. In the 4-3-3, he, MB, and Nagbe are fine by me uunderneath Pulisic, CD, and Wood.

In the 4-4-2, put Nagbe and MB next to eahch other or in the diamond. Pulisic in the left, ??? on the right when Jines comes off. Wood and Dempsey up top.

Fullback are Johnson and Yedlin until further notice, though I'd like to see Johnin at left midfield and flip Pulisic to the right wing. But, we need a LB for that to happen. Yedlin needs to stay at RB that's his spot. No need to move him around. Let him learn the position.

Central defense is still a horror show. Brooks has too many lapses and turnovers in his own half to even be on the squad in my book. No one else is threatening to lock down a spot that needs locking down. I'm at Cameron and Beslet by default.

Howard over Guzan all day for me, but JK has his loyalty rules. They are close, but Howard is a touch better in every regard.

Reaction Score
I really want to see Zardes sent home. And bring in Morris. Seriously, put two bullets in that donkey and send him back to LA. Forever. Rusty bulldozers have a better first touch.

I pretty much agree with everything Subba said.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't think Zardes is a lost cause. He might be better than Altifore some day, but he certainly isn't worth coddling or giving free rides in the XI.

All these new guys are young. I do agree with JK on one thing, they have to earn their time.

Problem is JK thinks this is some office politics or seniority situation. He clearly has favorites not based on performance. I think some of the new guys are ahead of the old guys right now or close enough that it makes little short term sense to deny their long term development.

Any striker who played before 2014 not named Dempsey should be pushed aside. Even Dempsey is on a short leash. I'd have no problem with this tournament being his defacto farewell. Certainly after the next round of qualifiers. Keep him around as a late sub to mentor the guys.

His play is way too selfish to fit with the rising group.

2018 looks like this right now to me

GK
Yedlin - CB - CB - Johnson
Bradley
RM - Pulisic
Nagbe
Wood - Morris

There are 4 spots that are wide open. Morris isn't a lock either, he's looked good but others could challenge. Zardes being one.

I wouldn't mind seeing Green elevate his game to claim the RM spot.

One of the CB spots is there for Brooks if he plays better. It may be his even if he plays badly, I hope not.

Reaction Score
Altidore and Zardes are almost the same age. I just don't see it. He's athletic but too rigid with the ball, I don't see how that can change for him. That ship has sailed.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Altidore and Zardes are almost the same age. I just don't see it. He's athletic but too rigid with the ball, I don't see how that can change for him. That ship has sailed.

You are probably right. I guess because he actually has ball skills compared to Altidore, I thought he can fix the first touch thing. I do think he is more of a central striker than a wing.

I'm all aboard the Bobby Wood train. He reminds me of Charlie Davies before his accident. Active, fearless, and willing to take on defenders (3 at a time against Ecuador) and winning. No US forward has ever done that.

Reaction Score
This has to be one of the most technically sound teams we've fielded in quite some time. Jurgen will get them to gel by Friday.
  • I don't mind Morris being left off in favor of Wondo. Aside from the Belgium opportunity he has a knack for garbage goals, and we're talking 30 minutes of playing time during the group stage at most. Morris doesn't have a left foot.
  • Jermaine gives us a certain toughness, grit, and technical ability - good for starting games. Nagbe is probably a better overall player but those intangibles are difficult to replicate. Nagbe should still see plenty of the field. There could be room for both in certain scenarios
  • Maybe use Zardes as a late sub to chase down defenders if we're up a goal? Those shovels attached to his shins can really move.
  • Sub, agree Howard over Guzan - I believe we beat Mexico at the Rose Bowl had Howard been between the pipes.
  • Dempsey has a poise and creativity on the ball none of our other strikers do. If he has a shred of athleticism after Copa I'd like to see him in the Hex
Here's to hoping for a healthy friendly tomorrow and a strong showing a week from today. And go ATLETI

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I'm not advocating shoving Dempsey out to pasture this minute. He is still our best bet to actually put one in the net. But, I see his game as a poor match for the younger players. He grew up in the US era where the Forward was fed the ball from long distance, though we had endless issues with delivering service. When denied service he instictinvely drops back into the midfield to collect the ball. Problem is he was never a dribble guy. He's good inside the box, take a couple touches and get off a shot. After a couple touches he is stagnating the offensive possession and if he doesn't sell a free kick, he loses the ball. His era also required him to be selfish with the ball and the scoring opportunities. If it wasn't Landon, it was him.

That is not how I see this team operating offensively. I see speedy wide players and a midifield that for the first time ever can move the ball though the middle starting from the back four. If Clint will stay in the box and be patient making runs to tget on the end of balls or accept the back pass at about 8 yds out, then he will cruise past LD as the all time scorer. If he plays how he wants to play, then we will need to move him along or into a diminished role. These kids want to play together.

Jones is one of my all time favorites. When people were digging on him, I pointed out he was our only player starting for a UCL team. He's is still playing well, but him being a part of 2018 is slim. I still want him in the squad, but we do need to find his replacement. He should be getting Beckerman's minutes and splitting time with Nagbe and one other young midfielder for the two spots in front of Bradley.

I'm not sure what Zardes is. Maybe he takes over next to Wood at some point if Morris ends up on the wing. I just am not seeing him as a positive player right now. I do think he is out of position. Maybe his ceiling is Wondo's replacement.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ok I know Zardes scored two goals today but I was not overly impressed until the second half when Nagbe and Pulisic came in the game. That sequence between the two of them that led to Pulisic's goal was beautiful. Add in Wood's move to set up Zarde's second goal and I was really impressed with some of our parts. I really hope JK starts Nagbe and Pulisic on Friday. They bring a different element to this team that I haven't seen in awhile. Credit to Jones too for that move to allow Nagbe to make the moves to set up Pulisic. Bedoya did nicely to set up the first two goals as well.

Not sure if Bolivia is that bad or we were just playing great. Whatever it may be, today and the last friendly gave me some hope for Friday's opening match

Reaction Score
Nagbe and Pulisic have been refreshing. Bolivia looked absolutely uninspired.

Oh and Wondo missed another gift at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Nagbe isn't starting against Colombia -- he has to be more of a two way player against a team that old. I don't think he's changing his formation off the last two games, and I don't see Zardes coming out of the lineup after tonight. He played very well objectively. Bedoya was really good tonight (and against Ecuador), and against Colombia he is a safe bet to start.

Fairly confident we will see the following team start on Friday night:

Guzman
Fabian, Brooks, CAmeron, Yedlin
Bradley (at the back), Bedoya, Jones
Wood, Dempsey, Zardes

I expect Pulisic to start game 2. Wouldn't be surprised if Nage did as well.

Reaction Score
Nagbe isn't starting against Colombia -- he has to be more of a two way player against a team that old. I don't think he's changing his formation off the last two games, and I don't see Zardes coming out of the lineup after tonight. He played very well objectively. Bedoya was really good tonight (and against Ecuador), and against Colombia he is a safe bet to start.

Fairly confident we will see the following team start on Friday night:

Guzman
Fabian, Brooks, CAmeron, Yedlin
Bradley (at the back), Bedoya, Jones
Wood, Dempsey, Zardes

I expect Pulisic to start game 2. Wouldn't be surprised if Nage did as well.

On paper, it's going to be brutal getting out of this group. I just hope we keep Bradley in the box to box or #6 role. When we put Beckerman back there we lose all ability to attack through the center of the field.

Reaction Score
Ok I know Zardes scored two goals today but I was not overly impressed until the second half when Nagbe and Pulisic came in the game. That sequence between the two of them that led to Pulisic's goal was beautiful. Add in Wood's move to set up Zarde's second goal and I was really impressed with some of our parts. I really hope JK starts Nagbe and Pulisic on Friday. They bring a different element to this team that I haven't seen in awhile. Credit to Jones too for that move to allow Nagbe to make the moves to set up Pulisic. Bedoya did nicely to set up the first two goals as well.

I want Wood on top, maybe paired with Dempsey. When Wood tires out or if the US need a goal, throw in Morris, who has a solid work ethic and a nose for the ball. Both players need to be on this stage (Copa) to see what they can offer the USMNT at the Cup in 2018. Instead, we get Wondo, a known commodity who gets in in the net from time to time; but, is almost guaranteed to rile a ball over the crossbar when a goal is really needed. The only thing I want to see from Wondo is a tell all book after he retires disclosing exactly what he has on JK.

I have the same argument for putting Horvath between the pipes for at least a match at Copa because I am not sure if Howard (bless his soul) or Guzan are the answer for 2018.

Reaction Score
I caught the replay. Bolivia is real bad, but that was a pretty dominant display.

Matt Besler at left back was interesting, doubt that was a serious experiment and nothing other than a nod to the KC fans.

If they don't start, Nagbe and Pulisic should be first off the bench.

Wondo missed another gift.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I caught the replay. Bolivia is real bad, but that was a pretty dominant display.

Matt Besler at left back was interesting, doubt that was a serious experiment and nothing other than a nod to the KC fans.

Yeah the fact that Wondo missed that easy goal should seal his fate to never come into a game again that matters. Yesterday was fine but not in the Copa. It almost seemed like he didn't even try to shoot the ball in because he thought it was an easy goal and was about to start celebrating. Then the keeper stopped it and he looked like an idiot. He didn't actually start to celebrate but just the way he put zero effort into pounding the shot into the net made me think that thought was going through his head.

Reaction Score
On paper, it's going to be brutal getting out of this group. I just hope we keep Bradley in the box to box or #6 role. When we put Beckerman back there we lose all ability to attack through the center of the field.

I doubt we see much more of Beckerman.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

It's not a horrible idea to try him there if he can do it as it lets Johnson Dempsey and Wood play up top or allows a pure 4-4-2 as a option. In the 4-3-3 the LB has to limit his runs forward against good teams, otherwise risk a wide open counter.

I think Besler is one of the top 6 defenders in the US pool, and I think he is better than Brooks right now. Based on this game, he needs work and might just be too slow. He got run by a lot.

You will see Beckerman as long as JK is in charge. If he doesn't start in the 6 hole, he will be brought in as a sub with a lead. Don't like it, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
It's not a horrible idea to try him there if he can do it as it lets Johnson Dempsey and Wood play up top or allows a pure 4-4-2 as a option. In the 4-3-3 the LB has to limit his runs forward against good teams, otherwise risk a wide open counter.

I think Besler is one of the top 6 defenders in the US pool, and I think he is better than Brooks right now. Based on this game, he needs work and might just be too slow. He got run by a lot.

You will see Beckerman as long as JK is in charge. If he doesn't start in the 6 hole, he will be brought in as a sub with a lead. Don't like it, but it is what it is.

As fullback, Besler shouldn't be getting forward. He's got great ball skills but he can't afford to be out of position.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
As fullback, Besler shouldn't be getting forward. He's got great ball skills but he can't afford to be out of position.

I meant Johnson isn't getting forward enough in the 4-3-3 because with 3 forwards without a ton of interest in two way play and the midfielders playing very narrowly, the FB's can't afford to bomb forward as much like they could in a 4-4-2. If the goal is to get more offense out of our best player, then pushing him forward in the formation should be goal of JK. As we all know, filling the LB spot with a capable player has been impossible for about 30 years.

Besler was trying too hard to get forward and was very often caught out of position.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Big day today. USA vs Colombia. Really need to get a point out of this game.

Reaction Score
Next. The US shoudl be helped by Paraguay and Costa Rica tying. If the US can win both, the US is in. A win and a draw may get the US in depending on point differential. As for the next game, JK needs to go young. Nagbe and Pulisic should be on the field to start. Need their energy.

Reaction Score
Next. The US shoudl be helped by Paraguay and Costa Rica tying. If the US can win both, the US is in. A win and a draw may get the US in depending on point differential. As for the next game, JK needs to go young. Nagbe and Pulisic should be on the field to start. Need their energy.
CR's starting center back, Watson (Vancouver Whitecaps), got a straight red card in the final minute of the game on a stupid challenge. So they lose a starter on their back line for the US game.

Reaction Score
Things should be in our favor, CR had a tough physical game in the oppressive heat of Orlando, team US should be the fresher team especially with the extra day of rest..

Reaction Score
CR's starting center back, Watson (Vancouver Whitecaps), got a straight red card in the final minute of the game on a stupid challenge. So they lose a starter on their back line for the US game.

And he's a good defender too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99