Copa America Centenario - US Hosting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario - US Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Thoughts on my pick for the 23 man roster excluding fitness issues (Brooks, Nagbe) and knowing that certain players can play Defense/Midfield or Forward/Midfield

GK (3) - 1) Howard, 2) Guzan, 3) Horvath
Defenders (7) - 4) Besler, 5) Brooks, 6) Cameron, 7) Lichaj 8) Miazga , 9) Ream 10) Yedlin
Midfielders (7) - 11) Beckerman, 12) Bedoya, 13) Bradley, 14) Johnson, 15) Kitchen, 16) Nagbe, 17) Williams
Forwards (6) - 18) Altidore 19) Dempsey 20) Morris 21) Pulisic, 22) Wood 23) Zardes

That is a weak looking midfield.

I'd play Pulisic at the top of the diamond and put Bradley in front of the defense. Johnson on the left and Morris on the right. Dempsey and Zardes up top.

Back four is Yedlin Cameron Besler/Brooks Lichaj/Ream.

Reaction Score
That is a weak looking midfield.

I'd play Pulisic at the top of the diamond and put Bradley in front of the defense. Johnson on the left and Morris on the right. Dempsey and Zardes up top.

Back four is Yedlin Cameron Besler/Brooks Lichaj/Ream.

Pulisic is better on the wing. And he's really more of an attacking midfielder than a true forward.

Johnson Bradley Bedoya
Jones Beckerman

Jones has been in 2014 form as of late. And I would really like to see Perry Kitchen take Beckerman's spot. With Johnson possibly hurt then guys like Finlay and Zusi will be on the final 23.

Pulisic will get some time in the friendlies, if Johnson is really hurt then that pretty much guarantees it.

That's the pool right now.

The friendly against PR won't have any MLS players since none of them will be released in time. So a bunch of guys that won't even make the 23 will play. Every team was required to produce a 40 man list.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
He's a guy who can handle the ball and pass. We are short of guys like that. We have enough bodies to run up and down the wings.

Is Jones international suspension up?

Reaction Score
He's a guy who can handle the ball and pass. We are short of guys like that. We have enough bodies to run up and down the wings.

Is Jones international suspension up?

Yes, Jones's suspension is up.

How I see U.S. 11 for the Copa opener (assuming no injuries):

Dempsey Altidore

Pulisic Bradley Jones Bedoya

Fabian Brooks Cameron Yedlin

Howard

Note that in that lineup, all 11 starters have been regular starters in a major European league during their career. If Fabian can't play (God forbid), don't rule out Chandler starting at Left Back over Lichaj/Ream/Castillo. While he didn't get in the last World Cup, and for all his struggles, remember that Chandler was JK's backup Left Back in Brazil.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I just can't see wasting another WC cycle on Altidore.

We have so many other young forwards with better skills that we could develop. I'm waiting to push Dempsey out too, our squad can't have a guy as selfish as him even if he is scoring, because that means when he doesn't we don't.

Reaction Score
I just can't see wasting another WC cycle on Altidore.

We have so many other young forwards with better skills that we could develop. I'm waiting to push Dempsey out too, our squad can't have a guy as selfish as him even if he is scoring, because that means when he doesn't we don't.

At this stage in their international careers, neither Morris nor Wood is a starter. They might be better alternatives than Dempsey or Altidore in '16 -- talk to be about Morris after a full year in MLS, and Wood when he plays in a first tier league. So might Johanson or Rubin if either can stay healthy. But Altidore and Dempsey today are clearly our best options to start.

Reaction Score
At this stage in their international careers, neither Morris nor Wood is a starter. They might be better alternatives than Dempsey or Altidore in '16 -- talk to be about Morris after a full year in MLS, and Wood when he plays in a first tier league. So might Johanson or Rubin if either can stay healthy. But Altidore and Dempsey today are clearly our best options to start.

As a counterpoint, and this is just my opinion, I would like to see the USMNT go with a mix of veteran and newbies (Brazil looks to be doing so) for Copa. Why? Simple, without the Olympics (damn it), the US needs a big stage to start to see which players from the next generation have the potential to play a major role in the '18 World Cup as the US is going to need several to step forward over the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
Altidore hasn't scored once for Toronto this season. If he's on the roster then it's just a legacy move.

Dempsey is still effective, but he's old so you need a decent plan B.

Morris has scored a goal in his past four games.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Unless you are head and shoulders better that another alternative, then I think the younger guys who will be around in 2018 should play. Dempsey still qualifies as our best striker, Jozy not so much. He is simply too one dimensional and inconsistent at the one dimension. I get we don't have another target forward, we won't have one in 2018 either. Best to take a new route. Leicester didn't have a true target either. They used speed instead. We have a lot of speed.

Reaction Score
Unless you are head and shoulders better that another alternative, then I think the younger guys who will be around in 2018 should play. Dempsey still qualifies as our best striker, Jozy not so much. He is simply too one dimensional and inconsistent at the one dimension. I get we don't have another target forward, we won't have one in 2018 either. Best to take a new route. Leicester didn't have a true target either. They used speed instead. We have a lot of speed.

If you have target forwards, then you better be able to cross. Do we have that? I just don't see why we have to have one.

Reaction Score
Well aware of Jozy's limitations, but while he has had slumps in leagues that stretch the definition of the word, he scores goals for country. Love for Morris or Wood to have shown by '18 that they are better options. But to me, neither has done so yet.

As for folks needing a chance to show what they can do before '18, we have 12 qualifiers left to do that. This is a once in a generation or two tournament in the U.S. I want to do as well in it as we can.

Reaction Score
Dempsey is still effective, but he's old so you need a decent plan B. Morris has scored a goal in his past four games.
Apparently, ol' man Clint and the youngin' have begun to figure out how to work together. Altidore? Exasperating, then somehow scores a goal or two creating more wishful hopes and prayers. If only ...

Reaction Score
Apparently, ol' man Clint and the youngin' have begun to figure out how to work together. Altidore? Exasperating, then somehow scores a goal or two creating more wishful hopes and prayers. If only ...

I'd start Morris and Dempsey together.

Reaction Score
I am positive JK will flip flop lineups and position, as he is prone to do, but I'd like to see this 4-4-2 (using the diamond for the midfield) at some point during this tournament. I'd put Johnson at LB if he was healthy, but Lichaj for now.

Zardes Morris
Dempsey
Pulisic Bedoya
Bradley
Lichaj, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin
Guzan/Howard

(edit, formatting doesn't allow my beautiful diamond spaced midfield to look as it should.. use your imagination and remember 4-4-2, not 4-1-2-1-2)

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I am positive JK will flip flop lineups and position, as he is prone to do, but I'd like to see this 4-4-2 (using the diamond for the midfield) at some point during this tournament. I'd put Johnson at LB if he was healthy, but Lichaj for now.

Zardes Morris
Dempsey
Pulisic Bedoya
Bradley
Lichaj, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin
Guzan/Howard

(edit, formatting doesn't allow my beautiful diamond spaced midfield to look as it should.. use your imagination and remember 4-4-2, not 4-1-2-1-2)

I could live with that, but Dempsey would have to commit to that role. Something he hasn't really ever done. His tendency is to drop too deep to pick up the ball, dribble, attempt a give and go, and get mad if it doesn't work. He's best in the box. I'd keep Zardes on the wing if Johnson isn't available and try Pulsic as the ACM. He's younger and more willing to run and pass, than Dempsey.

Reaction Score
Altidore's out, again. Another hamstring, and opportunity for the US to potentially move up integrating someone else for 2016.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
All the more reason for the US to move on. It's not like he is a great player. If he is fit, in form, and scoring goals that require more than getting on the end of a cross or back heel, then call him up. The other problem is that he is a unicorn in the US talent pool. We have to play differently with him than without him. All the other forwards fit a similar style of play.

I'd rather live and die with someone younger who at least has potential.

Reaction Score
Final 23 named for Copy. Pulisic is in and so are Johnson and Nagbe, both of whom have had recent injury issues, along Jones and several other familiar faces while Morris is not, which us a surprise to me. I am also glad that some new faces are there such as Horvath (GK) and Kitchen (M/F). Of course, since he much had some really good pictures of JK, Wondo is on the roster, too.

Christian Pulisic named to United States' Copa America roster

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
JK can't help but making stupid statements to justify his questionable decision making. His only consistency is that everything is all about him.

Reaction Score
Other than selecting Wondo over Morris, I'm fine with it. Just a head scratcher why he sticks with Wondo. Morris is the futures striker for USMNT for 2018 and 2022. just don't get that choice

Reaction Score
Other than selecting Wondo over Morris, I'm fine with it. Just a head scratcher why he sticks with Wondo. Morris is the futures striker for USMNT for 2018 and 2022. just don't get that choice

I wonder if it's because Morris turned down the opportunity to play in Germany. I can see JK taking that personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom