Coordinator Prediction Thread (HCRE) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coordinator Prediction Thread (HCRE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Mike Locksley, even sans his son, would be my pick. Would likely take $500K/yr money to get him here though. I hope Edsall's "low" salary means more money is freed up to fill a complete, talented staff. $500K/yr for OC and DC and then a few good position coaches.

Reaction Score
Mike Locksley, even sans his son, would be my pick. Would likely take $500K/yr money to get him here though. I hope Edsall's "low" salary means more money is freed up to fill a complete, talented staff. $500K/yr for OC and DC and then a few good position coaches.

Can someone please explain what the love fest over Locksley is all about? He was a miserable HC and his offenses as OC have been overwhelmingly bad-mediocre

Reaction Score
Or not - just left Texas for a community college in AZ. His high school tape looks alot like Donovan Williams to me.

Former Gilman quarterback Kai Locksley transferring from Texas after season

Breaking: Charlie Strong Confirms Transfer For Former 4-Star Quarterback

I don't believe Williams was a highly ranked recruit. 2 or 3 * guy at best.

I would take Locksley and his son in a heartbeat.
Locksley would be a good recruiter in a key region such as Maryland and the mid-Atlantic.

I think 500K would absolutely do it if not a bit less like $400K.

I would think that, at this very early stage, he is the leader in the clubhouse for the OC position.

However, I do also agree with those here who like taking a young JMU coordinator and grooming him for future. JMU offense has certainly been exciting and powerful.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain what the love fest over Locksley is all about? He was a miserable HC and his offenses as OC have been overwhelmingly bad-mediocre

1. OUTSTANDING recruiter. Was able to get 5-star recruits to IL and MD (most notably, Stephon Diggs). Great ties to DC area which is not too far out of the surface map that we should recruit. There's a reason why Kiffin wanted him at FAU and Bama hired him as part of their staff.

2. I could not care less about his HC record. We already have a HC - Randy Edsall. His offenses offer diversity - he can run spread or pro style. Right now, we are better suited for pro style. Over time with recruiting classes and transfers, we can sprinkle in some more spread tempo.

3. Might even give us a shot at getting his son to come play here: a 4-star rated QB. It's a long shot but a shot.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This I will say about RE, he had great assistants when he was here. All of them have gone on to better things. Nothing has changed that. RE will again have great assistants. If it's Losksley then it's great. But I have no doubt RE is a better coach now than when he left.

"He'll tell you himself, we didn't always see eye to eye," former UConn running back Andre Dixon said. "But we put our differences aside and we're good friends now. We both have grown a lot. The person he is now, I think they're going to get an even better coach than we had at UConn, to be honest. He's a little more understanding."

Dooley

Reaction Score
This I will say about RE, he had great assistants when he was here. All of them have gone on to better things. Nothing has changed that. RE will again have great assistants. If it's Losksley then it's great. But I have no doubt RE is a better coach now than when he left.

"He'll tell you himself, we didn't always see eye to eye," former UConn running back Andre Dixon said. "But we put our differences aside and we're good friends now. We both have grown a lot. The person he is now, I think they're going to get an even better coach than we had at UConn, to be honest. He's a little more understanding."

Nobody should question Edsall's ability to find talented coaches and under-recruited players. Everyone's top two choices for head coach - Joe Moorhead and Todd Orlando - both Edsall hires here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't believe Williams was a highly ranked recruit. 2 or 3 * guy at best.

I am familiar with D William's star ranking. My point is, watch both their videos and tell me if you see a difference. I don't. He tosses long bombs to wide open kids (I want to see timing throws and stuff with more zip) and can get yards on the ground shredding really bad defenses. His star ranking may have something to do with this family name.

Reaction Score
The right OC is way too important here to bring Locksley in as a recruiter and call him the OC. If Edsall can work with he guy (and who knows) I am fine having him on the staff assuming the Administration is willing to recognize what that will mean. But not as OC.

Yea, not enamored with his results as sole OC, but also don't think he would come here unless he had the OC title. Maybe Co-OC/recruiting coordinator paired with a great tactical offensive mind? I think his recruiting prowess would be worth the title.

Reaction Score
Yea, not enamored with his results as sole OC, but also don't think he would come here unless he had the OC title. Maybe Co-OC/recruiting coordinator paired with a great tactical offensive mind? I think his recruiting prowess would be worth the title.

There was a point where the D was shared between Orlando, as DC, and Hank Hughes, as Associate Head Coach. Orlando felt Hughes had too much power and left. Not the right result for us.

You could call him Associate Head Coach and pay him accordingly. But he can't be in charge of our offense.

But I'd guess this is moot because having him at Maryland did not help the program become successful (not saying it was Locksey's fault).

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't care what title he has as long as he comes here and recruits for us. Associate HC would be fine by me too. Pay him $500K/yr to be in charge of recruiting and painting the walls at the Shenk!

Reaction Score

He's a terrible offensive coordinator. If he became the OC I'd rather have Diaco as HC with an unknown OC. That's how little I think of Locksley.

Reaction Score
He's a terrible offensive coordinator. If he became the OC I'd rather have Diaco as HC with an unknown OC. That's how little I think of Locksley.
If he learned a few tricks hanging out in Alabama with Saban, and Edsall learned a few too hanging out with the Detroit Lions, that's a chance I take.....

Reaction Score
Like the concept of DJ coming home.
We know who he is, and more importantly who he isn't.
If he can add value to the staff, I can't see a better opportunity for him to get into coaching.

Reaction Score
Like the concept of DJ coming home.
We know who he is, and more importantly who he isn't.
If he can add value to the staff, I can't see a better opportunity for him to get into coaching.

I doubt DJ ever return to Ct. Who ca n blame him. He has started a new life for himself and his family. The stench of Aaron will last a long time in New england
He has worked hard to distance himself from the stench .

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
To throw a name out there for Offensive Coordinator: Rick Neuheisel, former Colorado and UCLA head coach. Career record was 87-59. NFL OC. Had some run-ins with the NCAA but was a dynamic offensive coach. He's currently working as an analyst for CBS. Worth a call. He's 55.

Reaction Score
While I agree with this premise, I think it would be great to have Dan O on staff. Give him a chance to show what he can do. He has had a good mix of clipboard and playing time, which I see as more conducive to learning to teach than playing alone does.

I'll bet he can still out work any player on the current team. He and Finch were animals. They wore out the stairs at Memorial Stadium and many times it was not during normal hours.

He knew what it took to win.

Reaction Score
Not impressed with Locksley OC performance at all and I always thought he was forced on Edsall after the 2-10 first season.

I hope Benedict has some OC possibilities to recommend for Randy.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^
1,000 percent.

I hope he reaches out to him. What's happened to DJ is a terrible shame. He never was close to our best QB, but he was a true warrior, decent H-back type receiver, and tremendous leader.
He cheated as the High school coach in southington. I'll pass and wish him the best.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
We need experienced assistants who:
a) are hungry to win
b) can help identify and develop talent
c) can properly game plan and then actually execute that game plan
d) make the necessary in-game adjustments always needed
e) share a strong hatred for BC

Reaction Score
I stand corrected then. Todd Fitch (LA Tech) & Tony Levine (Western Kentucky- also frm. Houston HC)

Tony Levine is headed to Purduew/ the Brohms as Co-Offensive Coordinator/TE/ST Coach.

Reaction Score
Al Golden is on the Lions staff, could see him as DC. I trust Edsall for DC hire regardless but the OC hire is critical.

I would love Mark Helfrich but that's a bit optimistic. I am assuming Benedict has SEC ties and Edsall has his old coaching tree ties.

Thoughts on OC and DC?

Benedict brought back Randy, why not TJ as OC?
Charlie Strong is bringing his guy, Sterlin Gilbert from Texas. Randy just knocked off South Carolina in the Birmingham bowl. It would be great to have TJ back too! Home Coming!

South Florida: 247Sports reports former Texas offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert and former Texas offensive line coach Matt Mattox are expected to follow Charlie Strong to USF. Gilbert and Mattox both spent one year at Texas and previously worked together at Tulsa, Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois.

Here are some of the other USF coaches that may be available. I believe Taggart just hired USF's running back coach. USF's OL coach may also be available. I like their D.C. He is a former FL HS coach which could Help FL recruiting. Also like their QB coach Shawn King looks like he could help Donovan Williams like he helped Flowers.

Football - Staff - GoUSFBulls.com—Official Athletics Web Site of the University of South Florida

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69