2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm about to do this, but here goes...

Duke is still one of, if not the most recognizable bball brands in the country. It's one of the top academic universities in the country, bar none, and it's a beautiful campus in a cool area (Durham is no longer a dump), with one of the most rabid fan bases in the country. The whole coaching argument is just a cluster...I dislike Scheyer as much as the next guy, but he's a first yr coach, give the dude a minute. Do you remember Hurley's first year...or his second...or his third...or his fourth?? Ya, not great. Even up until January (and beyond for many) folks on this board were calling for Hurley's head, but now he's suddenly a coaching savant (all props to him, he crushed it in the 2nd half of the season and I think he's awesome...now let's keep it going)?

What "down" years are you talking about? They just won the ACC tourny and made the 2nd rd of the NCAA tourny, and are 2 years removed from a FF (coach K).

Man, I get the Duke hate around here is strong, and rightly so, but come on...give your eyes a break and take off the national flag blue glasses every now and again. I'm gonna go watch a bunch of TCF videos to atone for what I just defended...
My son went to Duke. He was recruited to run track and cross country. The campus was beautiful but so are a lot other campuses. He was running on the streets in Durham when someone in passenger side of a car intentionally threw something at him. It struck him just below the eye. He was lucky could have lost an eye. So point being Durham is still a tough area. As far as academically (and I'm not making this up) he spent little time going to class yet made dean list every semester. Granted he is a smart kid. He was absolved by me for going to Duke when he went to UConn law.

Reaction Score
My son went to Duke. He was recruited to run track and cross country. The campus was beautiful but so are a lot other campuses. He was running on the streets in Durham when someone in passenger side of a car intentionally threw something at him. It struck him just below the eye. He was lucky could have lost an eye. So point being Durham is still a tough area. As far as academically (and I'm not making this up) he spent little time going to class yet made dean list every semester. Granted he is a smart kid. He was absolved by me for going to Duke when he went to UConn law.

I road cycle and I cannot understand what makes people thinks it’s ok to throw stuff or try to smack a cyclist or runner from a moving car. I know cyclists who use cameras on their bike to capture plate numbers.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't cycle on the road anymore just too much risk out there. Lucky I can stay on my Peloton!!

Reaction Score
Add to the list: a steady parade of easy-to-dislike players. And that incredible era of flopping.
Josh McBob bawling in a towel, Scheyer faces/flopping, Paulus (nothing else needs said)

Hated those teams!

Reaction Score
Texting has made cycling a very scary proposition. I would never be comfortable riding along a road with cars traveling at speeds over 30mph these days. It’s so dangerous to ride on the road that in my area, they don’t stop people from riding e-bikes on the sidewalk. E-bikes are a great option for commuters but being on the road would just be too dangerous. It seems like most people are just accepting e-bikes racing down the sidewalk as a new necessity.

Reaction Score
Texting has made cycling a very scary proposition. I would never be comfortable riding along a road with cars traveling at speeds over 30mph these days. It’s so dangerous to ride on the road that in my area, they don’t stop people from riding e-bikes on the sidewalk. E-bikes are a great option for commuters but being on the road would just be too dangerous. It seems like most people are just accepting e-bikes racing down the sidewalk as a new necessity.
Same it’s Peloton for me. Roads are too scary. I’d say it’s uncommon not to see someone on their phone during traffic lights. Even while driving it’s quite common in the Boston area.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Ebikes on the sidewalks are dangerous too. Down here in FL I have seen bikers texting while biking as well, that and dogwalkers with extendo leashes, baby carriages, joggers and plenty of us old timers who can't hear walking on sidewalks make sidewalks no place for ebikes

Reaction Score
Ebikes on the sidewalks are dangerous too. Down here in FL I have seen bikers texting while biking as well, that and dogwalkers with extendo leashes, baby carriages, joggers and plenty of us old timers who can't hear walking on sidewalks make sidewalks no place for ebikes
No doubt, they are very dangerous. Lots of people are riding them as a primary mode of transportation and the roads are a death wish, forcing them onto the sidewalk. I'm just not hearing people complaining about it, which is surprising. People used to freak out about bikes on the sidewalk around here. I think people are beginning to accept that busy Florida roads are no place for a bike, especially in the age of texting.

Reaction Score
Some juice on El Flaggerino and Mr. Hurley's attendance at his latest showcase:

Trying to ride that wave, Hurley sat in the front row with his staff, three-deep, for Flagg’s games all week. Most assume Flagg, who grew up a Duke fan, is headed to the Blue Devils or the pro route — possibly in 2024 via a reclass, if this week’s chatter is to be believed — but if there’s a dark horse in his recruitment, it might well be Hurley’s Huskies.

Beyond the recruiting boost of winning it all, UConn’s coach gets an extra thrill out of his sudden membership in an exclusive coaching fraternity.

“You know what’s weird for me?” he said, grinning again. “When I was a high school coach, a lot of the college coaches who are here now used to come into my gym. They were high-major coaches and I was just coaching high school basketball, not so long ago, and then I went mid-major to high-major and finally won a natty. That’s pretty cool, because I was just a high school coach looking up to these guys and now I’ve done something they haven’t. That’s pretty dope.”

Reaction Score
Would be awesome, just seems like the stereotypical Duke kid.
Coach K being gone has to take some of the shine off Duke tho right? Like what has Scheyer done to earn these kids? He had 3 of the top 7 recruits last year. #1 class in the country…in a down ACC…and was a 5th seed.

Reaction Score
DH/staff are excellent at recruiting their targets.. If kids aren't interested.. They move on and re-focus on other targets.. They don't waste time.. Don't know when it happened.. Where it happened.. Why it happened.. But it sure seems like something recently has been triggered in the pursuit of Flagg to encourage them to invest their valuable time in him.. We'll see how it plays out but it's a huge statement about the strength of our Program/brand to even be in the conversation after such a substantial lead by Duke.. Tortoise and hare??

pj

Reaction Score
We'll see how it plays out but it's a huge statement about the strength of our Program/brand to even be in the conversation after such a substantial lead by Duke.. Tortoise and hare??

I don't think the Aesop's fable is the right analogy - it's not that UConn and Duke started at the same time, Duke was faster but then fell asleep. Rather, Duke got an early start and has been racing the whole time, but the national championship, good player development, and Donovan Clingan being able to report a positive experience at UConn through a trusted channel of the relationship between the families/moms enabled UConn to catch up.

I think we can assume Cooper will give the two programs a fair opportunity to prove which is best for him. Probably he didn't want his recruiting to be just a foregone conclusion for Duke without any comparison school. And given that opportunity, Hurley has a great closing rate. Of course Scheyer is a great recruiter as well. Will be fun to watch this one.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Is Ebikes a big 2025 target? Hadn’t heard of him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't think the Aesop's fable is the right analogy - it's not that UConn and Duke started at the same time, Duke was faster but then fell asleep. Rather, Duke got an early start and has been racing the whole time, but the national championship, good player development, and Donovan Clingan being able to report a positive experience at UConn through a trusted channel of the relationship between the families/moms enabled UConn to catch up.

I think we can assume Cooper will give the two programs a fair opportunity to prove which is best for him. Probably he didn't want his recruiting to be just a foregone conclusion for Duke without any comparison school. And given that opportunity, Hurley has a great closing rate. Of course Scheyer is a great recruiter as well. Will be fun to watch this one.
Kind of like when Andre Jackson was a forgone conclusion to Syracuse until he visited us?

Reaction Score
Kind of like when Andre Jackson was a forgone conclusion to Syracuse until he visited us?
You mean the guy that won a national championship, wound up good enough to leave school early to get drafted, and has now received an NBA contract?

Wonder how many of those he achieves at Cuse… One? None?

Reaction Score

As I've said before.. Getting an OV is a major next step-- While DC is still on campus-- and killing it this season.. I'll take our chances once we've been able to do that.. Will be fun to watch this one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
DH/staff are excellent at recruiting their targets.. If kids aren't interested.. They move on and re-focus on other targets.. They don't waste time.. Don't know when it happened.. Where it happened.. Why it happened.. But it sure seems like something recently has been triggered in the pursuit of Flagg to encourage them to invest their valuable time in him.. We'll see how it plays out but it's a huge statement about the strength of our Program/brand to even be in the conversation after such a substantial lead by Duke.. Tortoise and hare??
No clue on the when or where but as to the why most likely the national championship(and the fifth to boot), three players from that team making money playing in the NBA who developed considerably while at UConn. Two players projected as lottery picks next year. Plus a top five freshman class on campus. Plus every player and recruit making superlative statements about practices and the coaches. Plus having one of the best if not the best coaching staffs in the nation. Plus having the dairy barn and a strong NE campus flavor should appeal to a once in a generation player from Maine. And last but not least UConn has tremendous fan support.

Reaction Score
No clue on the when or where but as to the why most likely the national championship(and the fifth to boot), three players from that team making money playing in the NBA who developed considerably while at UConn. Two players projected as lottery picks next year. Plus a top five freshman class on campus. Plus every player and recruit making superlative statements about practices and the coaches. Plus having one of the best if not the best coaching staffs in the nation. Plus having the dairy barn and a strong NE campus flavor should appeal to a once in a generation player from Maine. And last but not least UConn has tremendous fan support.
Everything you've said is absolutely true.. As a fan.. It is extremely gratifying to see UConn gaining ground after it has been assumed that Cooper was a Duke lock--at least by the media.. And our staff's activity/focus suggests that they are encouraged by what they're hearing--through whatever channels they're getting their info from....That's all I'm saying..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01