Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit! | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes Duke’s the favorite. He will go to UConn if he wants to stay “local” and wear his New England badge of honor. Should talk to Calhoun about this. He’ll choose KU if he wants a briefcase of money covered in grease.
He'd probably get more money at Duke. KU would probably be if he likes the coach, players, atmosphere and campus/Lawrence. He's not going to have money problems anywhere.

I imagine he's considering who he'd be playing with and how he fits as much as anything else. I don't know how Flagg sees his game. I think most view him as a versatile 4.

Kansas has top 5 Flory Bidunga coming in at center in 2024. So KU won't be asking Flagg to play the 5. KU has KJ Adams at 4 and no real SF, just big guards. KJ played 5 last year, so could split time with Bidunga in a small ball lineup.

UConn will likely have Singare/Johnson at the 5. Alex at the 4. We do have some SF in Ross and Stewart, but they aren't must start talents as far as we know. Flagg probably wouldn't be asked to play the 5.

Duke is looking at a 4* center in Ngongba in 2024, but Flip will be gone. Duke has 5* TJ Power coming in at PF this year. Duke is recruiting many top SF for 2024, but if they get Flagg and Power doesn't go to the draft (not projected to), one of those two is likely playing the 5. Neither is going to the bench.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stephon Castle is the foundation of the super hype 1 and done prospect recruiting. If he has a good year and goes to the NBA according to expectations, I imagine a lot more 5 star recruits from around the country will have UConn on their lists
I'm not sure he is. Castle wasn't a "super hype 1 and done prospect" when UConn was recruiting him. He didn't get the 5th star until after he committed.

Reaction Score
A player of Flagg's caliber should look past NIL money. The biggest NIL earner last year was Bryce Young with a total valuation of $3.2 million. The 16th player in the NBA draft, Jordan Hawkins signed a $20.6mm deal. And if Flagg is good enough to go top 4, he can command Brandon Miller type money which has a max value of almost $50mm. You want money, go to the place that can showcase your skills on the biggest stage, the way Hawkins did in Houston Texas in 2023. Where was Dook again? Or Kansas? I can't remember....

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A player of Flagg's caliber should look past NIL money. The biggest NIL earner last year was Bryce Young with a total valuation of $3.2 million. The 16th player in the NBA draft, Jordan Hawkins signed a $20.6mm deal. And if Flagg is good enough to go top 4, he can command Brandon Miller type money which has a max value of almost $50mm. You want money, go to the place that can showcase your skills on the biggest stage, the way Hawkins did in Houston Texas in 2023. Where was Dook again? Or Kansas? I can't remember....
Why would I want 21 million instead of 25 million? Is 4 million dollars an insignificant amount of money at age 18?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Are ppl really trying to argue that Flagg will get the most exposure if he comes to Storrs?

Reaction Score
Are ppl really trying to argue that Flagg will get the most exposure if he comes to Storrs?
I think he's saying UConn will give him the best chance to play on the biggest stage, the national championship game.

Reaction Score
Why would I want 21 million instead of 25 million? Is 4 million dollars an insignificant amount of money at age 18?
Wow, an additional $4mm for going to Duke over Uconn!! Yeah, if that's the case (it's not) then go to Duke.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think he's saying UConn will give him the best chance to play on the biggest stage, the national championship game.
Even that isn't true. There's no way to know which of those three teams will be better a year from now. But UConn probably has the least impressive returning and 2024 recruited players (assuming Clingan and Castle go NBA) of the three as of now. All three are most likely going to be very good.

It isn't going to make any difference to his draft status where he goes, unless he chooses Lehigh or Maine or something.

Reaction Score
Mic drop

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
It’s easy to tell someone else to look past millions. Despite the numbers you shared, which are true, why should be look past making even more than that while on the way to those numbers? That’s just silly. Ultimately, we all want him in Connecticut, but who are we to hell him that he should look past that kind of money if we didn’t offer him the same?

Reaction Score
Where he goes won't be decided by which college has the biggest NIL pot to offer. His NIL money is going to come directly from massive $$$ contracts with corporations, not from universities. He'll end up with the same $$$ whichever college he attends.

Where he goes also won't be decided by which college claims to have the most opportunistic path to the NBA. He'll be the #1 pick in the NBA draft regardless of where he attends.

Where he goes will come down to where he believes he'll enjoy his college experience the most. And the major part of that experience will be everything associated with playing major college basketball: coaches, teammates, fans, arenas, competition, family, culture.

All things being equal it'll come down to enjoyment. Where does he feel he'll most enjoy his one year on campus playing college basketball?

I wouldn't bet against UConn.

Reaction Score
Where he goes won't be decided by which college has the biggest NIL pot to offer. His NIL money is going to come directly from massive $$$ contracts with corporations, not from universities. He'll end up with the same $$$ whichever college he attends.

Where he goes also won't be decided by which college claims to have the most opportunistic path to the NBA. He'll be the #1 pick in the NBA draft regardless of where he attends.

Where he goes will come down to where he believes he'll enjoy his college experience the most. And the major part of that experience will be everything associated with playing major college basketball: coaches, teammates, fans, arenas, competition, family, culture.

All things being equal it'll come down to enjoyment. Where does he feel he'll most enjoy his one year on campus playing college basketball?

I wouldn't bet against UConn.
Finally, someone here who understands. The majority of Flagg’s NIL income will come from national brands, similar to Paige Bueckers’ partner portfolio. The local deals will be negligible in comparison. I don’t worry about a Self bag in this situation as much as I worry about Jayhawk co-eds, Duke’s campus and a revitalized Durham, NC.

Reaction Score
He is going to make a ton in nba. I don’t think nil money will have any bearing in this case. He will pick the place he feels most comfortable imo. Duke was his preconceived mindset. Going through the process to confirm and certainly could land at uconn. Uconn is an underdog but that is a familiar position.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Castle is not our first top 10 ever. Rudy was too no?

I guess that site hasn't been around very long

What basketball writer would ever question why a recruit would be interested in joining the national champions that already have a promising future

Rhetorical question people, only an idiot makes that statement

Must be going after Seth Davis' job

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He is going to make a ton in nba. I don’t think nil money will have any bearing in this case. He will pick the place he feels most comfortable imo. Duke was his preconceived mindset. Going through the process to confirm and certainly could land at uconn. Uconn is an underdog but that is a familiar position.
But when you’ll be the number 1 pick regardless of where you choose, why take less money?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally, someone here who understands. The majority of Flagg’s NIL income will come from national brands, similar to Paige Bueckers’ partner portfolio. The local deals will be negligible in comparison. I don’t worry about a Self bag in this situation as much as I worry about Jayhawk co-eds, Duke’s campus and a revitalized Durham, NC.
Now someone who gets it, except Lawrence is better than Durham (great beer too). NIL Money isn’t the appeal for a guy like this. Since he is a Duke fan, they lead. But he can’t make a wrong choice and he can be swayed.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
But when you’ll be the number 1 pick regardless of where you choose, why take less money?
A. He's not taking less money. His NIL deals will be national, not promoting a local business.
B. Because he might want to spend a couple of semesters at one place more than the other, or want to play for one coach more than another, or...or...or

Reaction Score
Because money is only one variable. I have a client who is selling his business for 1.2 billion. He was offered 1.4b by another buyer. He felt the 1.2 was a better fit. Cooper flagg will have plenty so other variables may tilt the scales

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Because money is only one variable. I have a client who is selling his business for 1.2 billion. He was offered 1.4b by another buyer. He felt the 1.2 was a better fit. Cooper flagg will have plenty so other variables may tilt the scales
Does your friend need any more friends? I'm available:)

Reaction Score
NIL vs. Guaranteed NBA $ are completely uncorrelated. NIL money is as much a hedge against injury as it is an incentive. Also, college exposure doesn't matter anymore to get to the NBA, just ask Damien Lillard. Choosing for exposure only matters if your a primadona who wants to be front and center on the media stage. If so, he's prob not a UConn fit anyways.

I think you proved the point that Bryce Young made the proper decision, lol.
There aren't many guarantees in life, and when one comes across your plate, you should maximize it. Besides, the media will follow Flagg like a sick puppy wherever he goes regardless.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He’s a fool for turning down my offer.
He's a Jimmy Buffet fan, so when I added an autographed picture of Andy Devine to my $1.2B, it was an easy choice.

Reaction Score
Does you friend want to help out UConn with landing Cooper Flagg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom