Coombs to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coombs to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Each recruit is different. Those 3 verbal commitments may not deter Megan from choosing UConn; but, her verbal could cause one of the other 3 commitments to reconsider.

Or, if Megan and the other do sign, it could have an effect on 2018 kids. I've always felt Christyn Williams would chose UConn, especially with friend, Gordon in the fold. But, Coombs' commitment could have an effect there.

All in all, not a bad problem to have.

You could be right about the UConn log jam at wing...............I view Christyn Williams as more of a shooting guard then a wing but regardless it would be really disappointing if she headed someswhere else as she is a personal favorite of mine

Reaction Score
You could be right about the UConn log jam at wing.....I view Christyn Williams as more of a shooting guard then a wing but regardless it would be really disappointing if she headed someswhere else as she is a personal favorite of mine

I thought that Williams was easily the best player the USA had in the recent U17 tournament and I would also be disappointed if she chose to go elsewhere. Coombs could possibly get some pt at the point with CD. if Walker commits, you have to think she'll play sooner rather than later. However, she would have Nurse & Williams ahead of her for one year and Lou & Collier for 2. That's quite a log jam.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting..seems that neither team really have a need at the wing yet MW is so good that either would be thrilled to get her......I wonder if Texas is in the same situation..seems like everyone thinks it's between UConn and ND but Texas is on the rise and MW may find them an intriguing alternative

Orangutan has ND's current situation laid out clearly.The only thing I can add is that Jade Williams still has ND listed as one of her top four and that Niele Ivey was down in Texas to see a tourney that included lots of Texas and regional teams, including the one Jade plays for.

Agree that UConn seems to have the combo guard/combo 2-3 covered well and ND is pretty much in the same state, particularly with Young joining Mabrey and Ogunbowale. However, Walker and/or Westbrook would obviously bring a whole lot of upside to the proceedings.

That said, there is a focus on bigs...we're losing Nelson and Thompson after this year, which would leave Turner, Westbeld and Boley. Stay tuned.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So how does the roster look now? Getting crowded much?

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 4.39.26 PM.png

Reaction Score

Consider these starting 5s / first two off bench

2016: Nurse (Jr), Chong (Sr), KLS (So), Gabby (Jr), Collier (So) / CD (Fr), Butler (Jr)
2017: Nurse (Sr), CD (So), KLS (Jr), Gabby (Sr), Collier (Jr) / Stevens (Jr), Camara (So)
2018: CD (Jr), Coombs (So), KLS (Sr), Collier (Sr), Stevens (Sr) / AEH (So), Camara (Jr)

Reaction Score
Consider these starting 5s / first two off bench

2016: Nurse (Jr), Chong (Sr), KLS (So), Gabby (Jr), Collier (So) / CD (Fr), Butler (Jr)
2017: Nurse (Sr), CD (So), KLS (Jr), Gabby (Sr), Collier (Jr) / Stevens (Jr), Camara (So)
2018: CD (Jr), Coombs (So), KLS (Sr), Collier (Sr), Stevens (Sr) / AEH (So), Camara (Jr)

I think that Stevens is hands down a starter in 2017 and may even be one of the Top 3 players in the country.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"I haven't seen the campus, but that's not important to me," Coombs said Friday night. "What's important to me are the people there. I've built a good relationship with the coaching staff and I have good relationships with the players in my recruiting class, Andi and Lexi. I sent them a text before I put out on Twitter that I had committed to let them know what I was doing and they were very excited. I'm really looking forward to playing with them."

Coombs said she will take her official recruiting visit in September.

Coombs sets her sights on UConn

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"I haven't seen the campus, but that's not important to me," Coombs said Friday night. "What's important to me are the people there. I've built a good relationship with the coaching staff and I have good relationships with the players in my recruiting class, Andi and Lexi. I sent them a text before I put out on Twitter that I had committed to let them know what I was doing and they were very excited. I'm really looking forward to playing with them."

Coombs said she will take her official recruiting visit in September.

Coombs sets her sights on UConn

Didn't Tiffany Hayes commit without visiting the campus?

Reaction Score
I don't know much about the high school kids. Where is coombs ranked?
Coombs was ranked number 21...higher than both Espinoza and the signee from Texas ( is it Lexi Gordon? Lexi Cox? ...my apologies)

Reaction Score
I am guessing this means M Walker will go somewhere else.
They are different position players, but if Walker sees the need to " wait" two years to earn a full-time spot at UCONN, she'll wind up at ND. If she is a kid of immense character, she'll come to UCONN and fight her way into the line-up. We'll know in September. If the commits to UCONN, we can all rest easy. If not, we will struggle. But with Geno, his coaching staff, and the current roster, don't despair. They will make it exciting and competitive.

Reaction Score
They are different position players, but if Walker sees the need to " wait" two years to earn a full-time spot at UCONN, she'll wind up at ND. If she is a kid of immense character, she'll come to UCONN and fight her way into the line-up. We'll know in September. If the commits to UCONN, we can all rest easy. If not, we will struggle. But with Geno, his coaching staff, and the current roster, don't despair. They will make it exciting and competitive.

We are not going to struggle in 2017-18 with or without Walker! In fact I think UCONN will be a strong favorite to win it all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Go get her! You can always use a big banger who sees the floor and runs it. UConn could use her mobility and quickness right now.

She looks like a true diamond in the rough, just waiting for the right coach(s) to come into her life and add a little "spit and polish" to her game. Having grown up with a basketball in her hand, she's still hungry, and will no doubt be easy to coach. I like that fact that she can rebound, turn and put the ball on the floor, see the court and throw good accurate passes down court to a hustling wing or guard for a fast break basket. And can do it NOW!!!!

BobbyJ, believe me, someone is going to grab her. She's only going to get better as she grows older and matures. She's a BIG, and as we all know, BIGS are in short supply, and long in demand. How nice would it be for the UConn faithful to get a verbal from a BIG (6-4+........any BIG) from the 2017 or 2018 class, that would remind everyone of Tina Charles? I hope someone in our program at least takes a look at this young lady. I agree with you......go get her. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Didn't Tiffany Hayes commit without visiting the campus?

She didn't commit to the campus (buildings, facilities), she committed to the players, coaches and the warm genuine family atmosphere there. She's coming to play for Geno, just like every other recruit has. She bought in to the program, not the campus. The buildings or facilities on campus do not make a program (they help, but they are not the end all, be all). I'm pretty sure she didn't start looking around at potential programs a few months ago. No doubt she's had her eye on UConn and the things they were doing for some time (like Mone' Davis).

It's the players and coaches that either make you very happy, or sad. They can make want to run through a wall for your coach and teammates, or make you want to transfer. No one ever transferred to another program because they no longer like the campus/facilities. It's the people. It's always the people/coaches/teammates. Just like a small child or a puppy can tell when they are loved, no one has to tell them, they can feel it. No words need be spoken. So can potential recruits. When it's right, they know it. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Exactly. Save it for when a surprise pops up.

You know times are changing when Geno and staff has to carefully manage and scrutinize their allotment scholarships for a given year. This was never a problem before. There are so may talented potential recruits today that want to come to Storrs, what do you do? You know you can't sign them all.

Unless you're a mega-star coming out of high school, and your skill set demands that you either start, or be one of the first 3 off the bench, if you join a program that features a full 15 man roster, you're going to have to sit, and wait a year or two for YOUR turn. Some recruits are willing to do that, some aren't. I'm really liking all of the love appreciation our program has been getting lately from all of the recent commits and transfers.

Have you ever had a dog(s) that were so happy to see you when you come home at the end of the day, and they run up to you, so happy you're home and their tails are just wagging back and forth and they are so exuberant in their glee, that they can't contain themselves, I'm almost at that point. :)

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She didn't commit to the campus (buildings, facilities), she committed to the players, coaches and the warm genuine family atmosphere there. She's coming to play for Geno, just like every other recruit has. She bought in to the program, not the campus. The buildings or facilities on campus do not make a program (they help, but they are not the end all, be all). I'm pretty sure she didn't start looking around at potential programs a few months ago. No doubt she's had her eye on UConn and the things they were doing for some time (like Mone' Davis).

It's the players and coaches that either make you very happy, or sad. They can make want to run through a wall for your coach and teammates, or make you want to transfer. No one ever transferred to another program because they no longer like the campus/facilities. It's the people. It's always the people/coaches/teammates. Just like a small child or a puppy can tell when they are loved, no one has to tell them, they can feel it. No words need be spoken. So can potential recruits. When it's right, they know it. :rolleyes:
43bd90e9af30805c6bdae1d2ac928b0a.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not buying that MW would have to wait even 1 year for a starting spot at UCONN or ND. Not buying that she will demonstrate more "character" by coming to UCONN. Not buying that UCONN will struggle if MW doesn't come to UCONN.

Reaction Score
She looks like a true diamond in the rough, just waiting for the right coach(s) to come into her life and add a little "spit and polish" to her game. Having grown up with a basketball in her hand, she's still hungry, and will no doubt be easy to coach. I like that fact that she can rebound, turn and put the ball on the floor, see the court and throw good accurate passes down court to a hustling wing or guard for a fast break basket. And can do it NOW!!!!

BobbyJ, believe me, someone is going to grab her. She's only going to get better as she grows older and matures. She's a BIG, and as we all know, BIGS are in short supply, and long in demand. How nice would it be for the UConn faithful to get a verbal from a BIG (6-4+...any BIG) from the 2017 or 2018 class, that would remind everyone of Tina Charles? I hope someone in our program at least takes a look at this young lady. I agree with you.go get her. :cool:

European "BIGS" are not used to the physicality of the US game. Geno demands his "BIGS" to play tough defense, rebound, and set good hard screens and IMHO Reisingerova's game resembles that of a stretch 4 and nothing like that of a true post like Tina Charles. I will admit I have not seen that much tape on her, but in the games I have seen her biggest strength seems to be her range.

Reaction Score
Not buying that MW would have to wait even 1 year for a starting spot at UCONN or ND. Not buying that she will demonstrate more "character" by coming to UCONN. Not buying that UCONN will struggle if MW doesn't come to UCONN.

Agreed as long as she is hitting her shots at a somewhat reasonable percentage........she is such a well rounded player that she can help the team in many ways without putting up huge offensive numbers

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
European "BIGS" are not used to the physicality of the US game. Geno demands his "BIGS" to play tough defense, rebound, and set good hard screens and IMHO Reisingerova's game resembles that of a stretch 4 and nothing like that of a true post like Tina Charles. I will admit I have not seen that much tape on her, but in the games I have seen her biggest strength seems to be her range.
I doubt that I have watched more tape of Julia Reisingerova than you have and you are correct Tina Charles is a different/better/more dominant post player. Reisingerova's biggest strength is not her her range though, it is her mobility and her BB schooling. She reminds me of Kayla Pedersen in that she can occasionally step out and make the 3 but everything is good to great and she is fundamentally very sound. Watch the first sequence in the rising star tape and you will see something that is so fundamentally sweet. She sets the double screen shoulder to shoulder, waits until the defense comes through and gets a good piece of the defender, steps back, Calls for the ball, splashes the three, The entire time she did not acknowledge that the ball was only a few feet away instead concentrating on what she had to do. I've been hyping her for a while now, IMO she is the most skilled big in 2017 class.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I'd agree. I think she's roughly Geno's height, about 5'8" or 5'9". But that photo is 10 months old, so Mikayla may have grown. I don't know if she's taller than Bria Hartley, but I'm pretty sure she's taller than Crystal Dangerfield.
Why does Wikipedia insist that Geno is 6'1"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom