Coombs to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Time for a 2017 Roster update
SR - Nurse (G), Gabby (F), Butler (C)
JR - Collier (F), Stevens (F/C), KLS (W)
SO - Camara (F), Dangerfield (G), Irwin (F), Bent (G)
FR - AEH (G), Gordon (F), Coombs (G)

I don't follow the off-season as closely as many here do. But my hot take is that looks like a pretty competitive roster.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would suggest UCONN not using the last scholarship slot in 2017.
I didn't have to scratch my head in wonderment on your comment. I understood your reasoning on the first pass. Geno should keep and retain an "ace" in the hole, just in case.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at the photo of her in between Geno and Shea Ralph from last year, I'm guessing much closer to 5'8.
I'd agree. I think she's roughly Geno's height, about 5'8" or 5'9". But that photo is 10 months old, so Mikayla may have grown. I don't know if she's taller than Bria Hartley, but I'm pretty sure she's taller than Crystal Dangerfield.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As you say, 'almost'! I much prefer the 3/3/4/4 version or maybe even the 3/3/4/5 with an infusion of international talent! :cool:
If we are going to go International how about adding a big to the class in Julia Reisigerova.

I know I know I been hyping her for a while now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was traveling all day yesterday for business and got the message from Ken (Milford). Thanks for the great news! And welcome to UCONN Mikayla! Super excited and glad you are part of the family! It will be an amazing 4 years - LOTS of hard work, but it will pay off in spades in the long run!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There is always room for a talent like Walker but it is interesting that UConn has basically 3 wings already committed from this class. Honestly, it looks like they could stand pat from here and be in good shape. Y'all are pretty much in the bonus round now.

Reaction Score
There is always room for a talent like Walker but it is interesting that UConn has basically 3 wings already committed from this class. Honestly, it looks like they could stand pat from here and be in good shape. Y'all are pretty much in the bonus round now.

Where is ND in terms of commitments in 2017/18? Trying to see if Coombs coming on board will have a big impact on Walker's final decision

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Where is ND in terms of commitments in 2017? Trying to see if Coombs coming on board will have a big impact on Walker's final decision

ND has nobody committed for 2017 yet. Lauryn Miller (6'1 PF, ESPN #46) has taken an official visit. Danielle Patterson (6'3 forward, ESPN #11) is scheduled to visit in the fall as is Walker. ND is still in on Evina Westbrook and La'Dazhia Williams as far as I know, though I have not heard of visit plans. Not sure if they still are interested in Jade Williams or vice versa.

I would assume there are other targets as ND probably wants to sign at least 3, maybe 4 this year, but I don't know who they would be.

ND doesn't really *need* a wing given that they got Mabrey (2/3) and Ogunbowale (2) in '15 and have Young (2/3/4) and Boley (3/4) in '16. Really ND's glaring need is for posts. Wings are probably last on the priority list in terms of need but I think ND feels that Walker and Westbrook would be scheme fits and are too good to pass up if they want in.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation #23, Blue Star #6, and (as stated in the tweet in the first post) ASGR #4

#19 per Dan Olson's Collegiate Girls Basketball Report. Olson notes:

Athletic combo-guard with pro-frame brings a scorer's mentality; manufactures in midrange game off the bounce, transition finisher; smooth floor game attacks in either direction

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Hopefully I didnt miss anyone. But I'm sure I will be quickly corrected if I have. :)
In the top three years I see six stars and four solids. I'm comfortable with that.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
ND has nobody committed for 2017 yet. Lauryn Miller (6'1 PF, ESPN #46) has taken an official visit. Danielle Patterson (6'3 forward, ESPN #11) is scheduled to visit in the fall as is Walker. ND is still in on Evina Westbrook and La'Dazhia Williams as far as I know, though I have not heard of visit plans. Not sure if they still are interested in Jade Williams or vice versa.

I would assume there are other targets as ND probably wants to sign at least 3, maybe 4 this year, but I don't know who they would be.

ND doesn't really *need* a wing given that they got Mabrey (2/3) and Ogunbowale (2) in '15 and have Young (2/3/4) and Boley (3/4) in '16. Really ND's glaring need is for posts. Wings are probably last on the priority list in terms of need but I think ND feels that Walker and Westbrook would be scheme fits and are too good to pass up if they want in.
Posts are the hardest to get. It seems like it goes in waves. There's a couple of years with a bunch of good post options then in dries up for a few years. There are so few skilled posts who can run the floor out there that it's really a daunting task to find those true gems who play on the block. I'm sure it's a ridiculous amount of man ours on the road watching kids play. Thankfully, ND still has Ivey in the back pocket.

Reaction Score

Hopefully I didnt miss anyone. But I'm sure I will be quickly corrected if I have. :)

Yeah, you did miss someone. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
ND has nobody committed for 2017 yet. Lauryn Miller (6'1 PF, ESPN #46) has taken an official visit. Danielle Patterson (6'3 forward, ESPN #11) is scheduled to visit in the fall as is Walker. ND is still in on Evina Westbrook and La'Dazhia Williams as far as I know, though I have not heard of visit plans. Not sure if they still are interested in Jade Williams or vice versa

Interesting............seems that neither team really have a need at the wing yet MW is so good that either would be thrilled to get her...........I wonder if Texas is in the same situation............seems like everyone thinks it's between UConn and ND but Texas is on the rise and MW may find them an intriguing alternative

Reaction Score
Posts are the hardest to get. It seems like it goes in waves. There's a couple of years with a bunch of good post options then in dries up for a few years. There are so few skilled posts who can run the floor out there that it's really a daunting task to find those true gems who play on the block. I'm sure it's a ridiculous amount of man ours on the road watching kids play. Thankfully, ND still has Ivey in the back pocket.

Williams is 6'3", Miller is 6'2", perhaps MM will be satisfied with a smaller lineup if they don'r end up with Jade Williams or one of the other big bigs..............

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“I committed on my birthday, July 1, but I kept it quiet because I wanted to talk to all the coaches who had been recruiting me and let them know first,” Coombs said.

“They emphasize the little things,” Coombs said. “UConn is focused on a team game. If a person isn’t having a hot game, you pass the ball to the one who is. They focus on steals and rebounds and assists.”

“It’s a good fit for Mikayla because she wants to be pushed to be the best she can be both on and off the court,” Azar said. “Mikayla can do things athletically that not many people can do. She can slash, hit the three and run the court. Defensively, she can guard the way UConn likes to.

“She’s really, really talented, but she knows UConn will help her be even better.”

Coombs returned from a tryout this summer with the USA Basketball U17 national team and Azar noticed the difference.

“But she even looked a whole step up this summer after all the U.S. (national) stuff,” Azar said. “ She got to play with and against the best. When she came back, she was at a whole other level.”

Wesleyan’s Mikayla Coombs picks UConn over slew of other offers

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

S
B
M
U
H
T
thumbs_up_bciy.jpg

Reaction Score
“I committed on my birthday, July 1, but I kept it quiet because I wanted to talk to all the coaches who had been recruiting me and let them know first,” Coombs said.

“They emphasize the little things,” Coombs said. “UConn is focused on a team game. If a person isn’t having a hot game, you pass the ball to the one who is. They focus on steals and rebounds and assists.”

“It’s a good fit for Mikayla because she wants to be pushed to be the best she can be both on and off the court,” Azar said. “Mikayla can do things athletically that not many people can do. She can slash, hit the three and run the court. Defensively, she can guard the way UConn likes to.

“She’s really, really talented, but she knows UConn will help her be even better.”

Coombs returned from a tryout this summer with the USA Basketball U17 national team and Azar noticed the difference.

“But she even looked a whole step up this summer after all the U.S. (national) stuff,” Azar said. “ She got to play with and against the best. When she came back, she was at a whole other level.”

Wesleyan’s Mikayla Coombs picks UConn over slew of other offers

Sounds little like Courtney Williams who played at USF.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Each recruit is different. Those 3 verbal commitments may not deter Megan from choosing UConn; but, her verbal could cause one of the other 3 commitments to reconsider.

Or, if Megan and the other do sign, it could have an effect on 2018 kids. I've always felt Christyn Williams would chose UConn, especially with friend, Gordon in the fold. But, Coombs' commitment could have an effect there.

All in all, not a bad problem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01