Conversations Happening on CFP Expansion To 8 (The Athletic) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conversations Happening on CFP Expansion To 8 (The Athletic)

Reaction Score
UCF notwithstanding (I didn't bring them up), I've already said that I am for an expanded playoff based solely on inclusion. More participants makes for more meaningful games, more better drama, and more interest. Before the CFP, there was 1 meaningful game and 39 exhibitions. The 4 team playoff was half baked in its implementation. 5 "CSMA" conferences (6, I believe in its development, before the Big East was relegated) to fill 4 spots does nothing to quell the controversy of the BCS. It only served to push it 2 spots further down the rankings, adds only 2 more meaningful games, and maintains 38 exhibitions, which are increasingly less meaningful as star upperclassmen skip them in order to keep their bodies fresh for the NFL spring festivities.

Now to answer your question...

Does the CFP Selection committee exclusively use Massey? If not, why not? Take it a step further, why even have a selection committee at all if Massey is the most accurate predictive model?

Rankings aside, there will always be a human element. Humans develop these algorithms. Humans determine the data inputs. When all is said and done, humans want to maximize return.

Humans put in Oklahoma over Georgia because of the eye test and reputation. Oklahoma is P-5 and won their CCG. Georgia did not. Oklahoma (8) is not close to the top 4 either and only 0.01 ahead of 9th rank UCF in the Massey Ratings as of December 15. Going by your logic, Ohio State (#5) should be in over OU. They won their title game, are 12-1, #5 in the Massey rankings, and 0.06 ahead of Oklahoma.

Don't confuse Massey Ratings (one computer) with the Massey Composite Rating....the compilation of 100+ systems.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't confuse Massey Ratings (one computer) with the Massey Composite Rating....the compilation of 100+ systems.

Quite honestly, I really don't care about any of it, but since I threw myself into the subject...

So long as the the ultimate arbiter in assigning spots in the "playoff" is human, the national champion at the FBS level will have a non-insignificant degree of subjectivity. A subjectivity, however, that has an inverse relationship to the number of participants. Obviously, the CFP cannot have 68 teams like the NCAA Basketball Tournament, but every other level of football has a bracketed playoff with far more than 4 teams.

Reaction Score
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany joins chorus of leaders...

>>Add Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany to the growing chorus calling for an examination of the CFP structure now, well before the end of the Playoff’s initial 12-year contract with ESPN ends in 2026.

“The Big Ten would be happy to discuss structure issues with colleagues,” Delany told The Athletic. “It’s probably a good idea, given all of the conversations and noise around the issue, to have discussions with our colleagues.

“The Big Ten would definitely have conversations.”

Delany is the second Power 5 conference commissioner to tell The Athletic that he supports serious efforts to examine and potentially expedite expansion. “It’s an appropriate thing to begin thinking about,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said last week. <<
Of course he would. Who's the Big 10 rep this year?

Reaction Score

>>In the case of Delany, arguably the most influential voice in the sport, the answer may seem obvious: His conference has been excluded from the Playoff the past two years (and its champion the past three years). Rather than accepting that his teams just weren’t good enough, he just wants to make it easier for them to get in. Right?

That’s not the entirety of his reasoning.

With five power conferences plus Notre Dame playing for four spots, Delany and his counterparts who devised the CFP knew there were no guarantees for their conferences. His and others’ primary beefs seem not to be with certain teams’ exclusions but the selection process itself.

Delany himself was the primary proponent of a selection committee in the first place. The introduction to the official Selection Committee Protocol on the CFP’s Web site is primarily his words. He, along with the Pac-12’s Larry Scott, thought they had been pretty clear in establishing a mandate that the committee should reward ambitious scheduling and conference championships whenever possible.<<

>>Arguably the biggest frustration for Delany, Bowlsby and Scott is the committee seems to care not the slightest about scheduling inequities — to the SEC’s benefit. If it did, Florida would not be sitting in the Top 10 with a 9-3 record, four of those wins having come against 5-7 Florida State, 3-9 Colorado State and FCS foes Charleston Southern and Idaho.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom