Conversations Happening on CFP Expansion To 8 (The Athletic) | The Boneyard

Conversations Happening on CFP Expansion To 8 (The Athletic)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
‘We don’t need to wait another six years’: College...

"The first four years of the College Football Playoff were considered a success. The four-team format has been more universally accepted than the old BCS system, and it has kept fans engaged throughout the country.

But ahead of Year 5’s national semifinals featuring Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma, there is a sense of growing discontent with certain aspects of the CFP system, including the selection committee’s deference to the SEC and what some consider unfair treatment of UCF.

Now, a number of influential voices in college football are calling for a serious look at expansion.

There is a groundswell of support to expedite expansion before the end of the CFP’s initial 12-year contract with ESPN in 2026, with many telling The Athletic they support an eight-team format.

“It’s an appropriate thing to begin thinking about,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told The Athletic this week."

Drew

Reaction Score
They better go to six autobids and two at large if they do it this way. Might save the AAC

it seems to be a common theme here:

"Chuck Neinas, a former Big 12 commissioner, has sketched out his preferred plan for an eight-team Playoff. He’s given it to Alvarez, Bowlsby, Hancock and other influential figures in the sport, initially to stoke conversation. Now those conversations are happening.

Neinas’ eight-team model would include the five Power 5 conference champions, the top Group of 5 champion and two at-large spots. Conference championship games would be eliminated. The regular season would end the weekend after Thanksgiving, with quarterfinal games played on campuses the following weekend. Winners would advance to New Year’s Six semifinal games at that year’s designated bowl sites, as usual."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

"Chuck Neinas, a former Big 12 commissioner, has sketched out his preferred plan for an eight-team Playoff. He’s given it to Alvarez, Bowlsby, Hancock and other influential figures in the sport, initially to stoke conversation. Now those conversations are happening.

Neinas’ eight-team model would include the five Power 5 conference champions, the top Group of 5 champion and two at-large spots. Conference championship games would be eliminated. The regular season would end the weekend after Thanksgiving, with quarterfinal games played on campuses the following weekend. Winners would advance to New Year’s Six semifinal games at that year’s designated bowl sites, as usual."

Exactly the formula that I think would work best. The Playoff has to have a G5 rep which will be the AAC champ in most years. AAC can get aggressive here and add BYU & Boise and just about guarantee that the G5 rep will always be the AAC champ, kind of like the SEC champ will always be in. Would be great for the conference.

Drew

Reaction Score
Exactly the formula that I think would work best. The Playoff has to have a G5 rep which will be the AAC champ in most years. AAC can get aggressive here and add BYU & Boise and just about guarantee that the G5 rep will always be the AAC champ, kind of like the SEC champ will always be in. Would be great for the conference.
whats wild is UConn would probably have a better shot at making the playoff from the American than it would from any P5 league.

I also think an 8 team playoff with a locked in G5 representative would increase the value of the AAC deal as most years the AAC title game winner will be going to the playoff.

Dooley

Reaction Score
whats wild is UConn would probably have a better shot at making the playoff from the American than it would from any P5 league.

I also think an 8 team playoff with a locked in G5 representative would increase the value of the AAC deal as most years the AAC title game winner will be going to the playoff.

Agree completely. Our ceiling in the ACC would be similar to Syracuse or Boston College - 8 or 9 wins, but will always lose to Clemson or whoever the top team is. In the AAC, it is quite possible for UConn to get in if scheduling lines up right (i.e. we get good southern teams at the Rent in November). And wouldn't that grind the gears of Fruit/BC fans - UConn in the CFB Playoff. Ha!

Drew

Reaction Score
Agree completely. Our ceiling in the ACC would be similar to Syracuse or Boston College - 8 or 9 wins, but will always lose to Clemson or whoever the top team is. In the AAC, it is quite possible for UConn to get in if scheduling lines up right (i.e. we get good southern teams at the Rent in November). And wouldn't that grind the gears of Fruit/BC fans - UConn in the CFB Playoff. Ha!
How ironic would it be if BC blocking us entry into the ACC actually wound up in us making the CFP. The American might just make it after-all.

Drew

Reaction Score
Also I 100% agree about BYU/Boise. If the G5 champ is locked in all of a sudden there is a real incentive for a team like BYU to join a league. If you can do football only BYU and Boise go to 9 conference games and basically make it an AAC auto bid.

BYU/Boise football only also opens the door for Basketball + olympic sports adds as well.

Dooley

Reaction Score
How ironic would it be if BC blocking us entry into the ACC actually wound up in us making the CFP. The American might just make it after-all.

That would be the ultimate irony, wouldn't it? What would make it even better: those dopes wanting in the AAC decades from now. Ha!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I have a tweak that I would really like to see, but probably will be overlooked. If there are two undefeated G5 schools and both are ranked in the top 20 and both played an OOC schedule that includes at least two P5 schools, then both G5 schools get into the eight team playoff.

I could see a scenario where both Boise St and an AAC school go undefeated. Undefeated schools shouldn't be denied the 8 team play off access if they meet the extra criteria I outlined.

Reaction Score
^^^

But doesn’t the article say the conference(AAC) championship games would be eliminated?

So he’s just saying best record G5 and 2 best record wild cards?

He contradicts himself when he says P5 conference champs and then no conference championship game?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Also I 100% agree about BYU/Boise. If the G5 champ is locked in all of a sudden there is a real incentive for a team like BYU to join a league. If you can do football only BYU and Boise go to 9 conference games and basically make it an AAC auto bid.

BYU/Boise football only also opens the door for Basketball + olympic sports adds as well.

EXACTLY. We have a hoops only member and a football only member already, so the precedent is there. BYU as a football only makes all the sense in the world. And bringing in Boise brings in the only other G5 national football brand. It would be close to impossible for the MWC, CUSA, MAC, whoever to state their case against the AAC champ with that kind of scheduling docket.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I have a tweak that I would really like to see, but probably will be overlooked. If there are two undefeated G5 schools and both are ranked in the top 20 and both played an OOC schedule that includes at least two P5 schools, then both G5 schools get into the eight team playoff.

I could see a scenario where both Boise St and an AAC school go undefeated. Undefeated schools shouldn't be denied the 8 team play off access if they meet the extra criteria I outlined.

I agree with you. Under this scenario, the hope is they would be considered as an at-large...although that would take years to establish credibility.

Drew

Reaction Score
^^^

But doesn’t the article say the conference(AAC) championship games would be eliminated?

So he’s just saying best record G5 and 2 best record wild cards?

He contradicts himself when he says P5 conference champs and then no conference championship game?
Conferences are allowed to determine their champion however they want to right now. I don’t know that you can force people to eliminate conference title games.

I think the ultimate proposal will look something like:

All FCS games are to be played in week 0 and are optional. They will be exhibition games to allow coaches to see their kids in game situations.

Doing the above opens a second “idle” week during the season.

Conference title games stay (too much $$ to eliminate them) but conferences can determine participants however they want not just by divisions.

First round on campus week after title games.

Leave semis and finals as they are.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Somewhat serious question: would this potentially lead to schools looking to jump P5 to AAC if we get a greater share of CFP money and our TV deal is improved?

Reaction Score
Conference title games stay (too much $$ to eliminate them) but conferences can determine participants however they want not just by divisions.

Agreed. They can't get rid of conference championship games since most conferences don't play a round-robin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the G5 champ is locked in all of a sudden there is a real incentive for a team like BYU to join a league.
Why?

CL82

Reaction Score
Because it's basically the only chance theyd have at playing for a championship
Why? They are G5 regardless. Now if the AAC had a designated CFP slot, I'd agree, but no one is suggesting that.

Reaction Score
Why? They are G5 regardless. Now if the AAC had a designated CFP slot, I'd agree, but no one is suggesting that.
Are they? I didn't think independent schools counted as a part of the G5

Drew

Reaction Score
Why?
The language as currently constructed says the NY6 bowl spot goes to the “highest rated G5 conference champion”. Assuming that language holds true for the CFP slot BYU would only be eligible for one of the at large spots and not the G5 spot.

CL82

Reaction Score
Are they? I didn't think independent schools counted as a part of the G5
Sort of, apparently, see Drew's post above.

Reaction Score
Agreed. They can't get rid of conference championship games since most conferences don't play a round-robin.

That's my only objection. With 14 team conferences and scheduling oddities you could end up with the wrong teams without a conference championship game. And those games mean something. That's great football generally. I'm not in favor of eliminating any must-see games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom