Conversations Happening on CFP Expansion To 8 (The Athletic) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conversations Happening on CFP Expansion To 8 (The Athletic)

Reaction Score
That's my only objection. With 14 team conferences and scheduling oddities you could end up with the wrong teams without a conference championship game. And those games mean something. That's great football generally. I'm not in favor of eliminating any must-see games.
Hey, if it forces regional expansion to eight conferences and they all play a round-robin...

Reaction Score
Somewhat serious question: would this potentially lead to schools looking to jump P5 to AAC if we get a greater share of CFP money and our TV deal is improved?

No. The perception of the league in general may change, but no P-5 (no matter how bad) school is going to move to a G% conference just for the sake of being the champion of the best G5 conference and an "automatic" bid. The G5 and team revenues will not match that they get as an awful team in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Hey, if it forces regional expansion to eight conferences and they all play a round-robin...

I'm all for that also - but that's even less likely.

Reaction Score
In that case, and based on what folks have been saying till now it would almost make the aac a default power conference, no? I mean especially if they got Boise and byu.

If the playoffs are expanded, guaranteed that it will be in the P5's favor with money and access. They're not going to take money out of their own pockets to make sure UCF or Boise gets a fair shake.
Come and be the eight seed that gets smoked by bama? Come on,they would love to prove all this talk about ucf or whatever being legit wrong...we all know that is what would happen, bama wins with ease. The rare case that an eight beats a bama or whatever one seed adds an allure similar to march madness when a 15 beats a 2 ...good in rare cases for the sport but will never happen enough to the determinet of the sport as a whole (ie bama, etc getting to the semis and Beyond......plus a 4 or 5 seed Michigan or oh state or Georgia or whatever would take care of cinderalla stories in time for the big games. This won't happen unless there is a plan to protect the big boys and there is, that I am sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Needs to happen for the overall health of college football. It allows for a more level recruiting landscape and stops the P5 banking of talent that never sees the field. It also gives the AAC a lot more media value, and attracts broader fan interest because the stakes are higher. The CFP is a transparently obvious scheme to enable P5 conferences to control market dollars and diminish competition.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Still think there should be an All-American Conference with the best of the G5 like Boise St, BYU, SDSU, Fresno ST and teams like UCF, USF, Houston, UConn and some others.

Reaction Score
In that case, and based on what folks have been saying till now it would almost make the aac a default power conference, no? I mean especially if they got Boise and byu.

Come and be the eight seed that gets smoked by bama? Come on,they would love to prove all this talk about ucf or whatever being legit wrong...we all know that is what would happen, bama wins with ease. The rare case that an eight beats a bama or whatever one seed adds an allure similar to march madness when a 15 beats a 2 ...good in rare cases for the sport but will never happen enough to the determinet of the sport as a whole (ie bama, etc getting to the semis and Beyond.plus a 4 or 5 seed Michigan or oh state or Georgia or whatever would take care of cinderalla stories in time for the big games. This won't happen unless there is a plan to protect the big boys and there is, that I am sure.
I will say a #16 seed will never, ever beat a 1 seed... EVER!

Reaction Score
In college football, upsets will happen.

But, the more the line favors the favorite, the odds get slimmer for that upset...

Over time..

7 point favorite....wins 69.05%

10 point favorite....wins 76.61 %

14 point favorite wins...82.73%

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
6 or 8 is the right number. 4 is too few, more than 8 dilutes.

Reaction Score
They better go to six autobids and two at large if they do it this way. Might save the AAC
I think it should depend year by year. If there are 8 great undefeated or one-loss P5 teams, take them all (this never happens).

If for example there’s a two-loss LSU and an undefeated or one-loss Pac12 or AAC conference champion, depending on the loss, you take the conference champs.

Reaction Score
Seems unlikely that CBS or FOX would be okay with no conference championship games unless they can televise some of the playoff games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
6 or 8 is the right number. 4 is too few, more than 8 dilutes.
I think you mostly correct Mike, although, in time, I can see a play in game for the at large bids played on the campus of the favorite.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tad self serving in lead in but...

Good find. Yeah, I am really surprised just how easy Notre Dame cracked the Playoff without the 13th data point and a mediocre schedule. Of course, UNC did them a solid by not making up their PPD game against UCF and locking them in at 12.

Essentially, everybody but Notre Dame and Alabama need a 13th game is the message that the Committee sent. And that's good because America loves to root for the privileged elite silver spoons.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
whats wild is UConn would probably have a better shot at making the playoff from the American than it would from any P5 league.

I also think an 8 team playoff with a locked in G5 representative would increase the value of the AAC deal as most years the AAC title game winner will be going to the playoff.
What people aren't thinking about is this would eliminated divisions eliminating the need for an even number of football teams in a conference with an 8-team conference.

Reaction Score
If the CFP does indeed expand to eight teams? We would absolutely have to invite BYU and Boise State, even if it's for football only. We would have to ensure to be the premier non-P5 Conference.

Reaction Score
They better go to six autobids and two at large if they do it this way. Might save the AAC

I’m not holding my breath on the G5 getting guaranteed access. There will be a qualifier of some kind, like the top G5 team must be in the top 10 of the rankings.

Reaction Score
If the G5 get access to the expanded playoff you can be sure there will be specific requirements such as: The G5 will get a guaranteed Playoff spot provided the G5 team is ranked in the top 10 in the country. This way the P5 will be able to have control over which G5 schools they actually allow into the playoff. You can bet that the Uconn's of the world will not be allowed in the playoff.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Come and be the eight seed that gets smoked by bama? Come on,they would love to prove all this talk about ucf or whatever being legit wrong...we all know that is what would happen, bama wins with ease.

In the short term sure, but Saban (67) ain't coaching forever. The pack always catches up with the once elite. 1 seeds made it through to the round of 32 100% of the time too...until last March.

The rare case that an eight beats a bama or whatever one seed adds an allure similar to march madness when a 15 beats a 2 ...good in rare cases for the sport but will never happen enough to the determinet of the sport as a whole (ie bama, etc getting to the semis and Beyond.plus a 4 or 5 seed Michigan or oh state or Georgia or whatever would take care of cinderalla stories in time for the big games. This won't happen unless there is a plan to protect the big boys and there is, that I am sure.
So what? As if it wouldn't generate interest?

More interest = more eyeballs = more money.

arch

Reaction Score
I guess I like expansion because the ‘yard likes it, but for what problem is this the solution?

Reaction Score
UCF or whoever never gets in because the P5 will NEVER give up the money.

They will let a three loss P5 team in the playoff rather than give up the money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom