contract Incentive for 1,000 APR | Page 3 | The Boneyard

contract Incentive for 1,000 APR

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Seriously. You are smart.

There is a ocean sized gulf between meeting the standard and 1000.

Rewarding him for hitting 1000 does exactly what Chief says.

Pay him for staying eligible - don’t pay him for maxing out a stupid metric that gives him a reason not to push for some kids with questionable academics.

If you think you can win with a bunch of bookworms you can’t. If you are so blind to this reality go root for Trinity and stop rooting to destroy this basketball program.

I still don't understand why we don't do what every other major college program does. Just make it happen and forget about it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Three quarters of you would donate a major organ to Jim Calhoun.

He’d pour acid in his eyes rather than read the nonsense about academics in these threads today.

He brought Nate Frigging Miles here. A person so stupid he broke a restraining order within 15 minutes.

Welcome Dan Hurley - now go win basketball games with a debate team against a bunch of southern community colleges.

Then beat NBA factories which skip this class nonsense.

But the moms are going to swoon over that pitch.

C

Chief00

Pay him for staying eligible - don’t pay him for maxing out a stupid metric that gives him a reason not to push for some kids with questionable academics.

If you think you can win with a bunch of bookworms you can’t. If you are so blind to this reality go root for Trinity and stop rooting to destroy this basketball program.

Excellent post. Whaler11 on a roll speaking the truth - get out of his way.

Reaction Score

There's no point in paying him to stay eligible. If the team isn't eligible with our history, you're firing him anyways. In that case, you're just paying him to not be fired aka a salary. There is no incentive.

APR is not a forgiving metric. One mistake-filled semester lingers for years and can affect the team even after you fire the coach responsible. Setting the goal far above the requirement ensures a safety net.

You also reference winning with bookworms. We both know the intelligence of players has 0 to do with APR and referencing that is asinine. With personal tutors. specific class choices and only requiring players to stay eligible (not exactly graduate with Latin honors), it's only a matter of ensuring your players are not willfully ignoring classwork entirely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's no point in paying him to stay eligible. If the team isn't eligible with our history, you're firing him anyways. In that case, you're just paying him to not be fired aka a salary. There is no incentive.

APR is not a forgiving metric. One mistake-filled semester lingers for years and can affect the team even after you fire the coach responsible. Setting the goal far above the requirement ensures a safety net.

You also reference winning with bookworms. We both know the intelligence of players has 0 to do with APR and referencing that is asinine. With personal tutors. specific class choices and only requiring players to stay eligible (not exactly graduate with Latin honors), it's only a matter of ensuring your players are not willfully ignoring classwork entirely.

My God even the smart people have lost it this week.

Nobody outside of the MEAC and SWAC is ever ineligible based off the APR. It’s literally next to zero. It’s impossible to botch unless your administration is working against you.

Every legitimate basketball school in the country solved this by ending the pretense they are there for school.

Why does everyone but UConn understand this?

Reaction Score
My God even the smart people have lost it this week.

Nobody outside of the MEAC and SWAC is ever ineligible based off the APR. It’s literally next to zero. It’s impossible to botch unless your administration is working against you.

Every legitimate basketball school in the country solved this by ending the pretense they are there for school.

Why does everyone but UConn understand this?

Let me do a whaler impression.

Moran, you're not even addressing the argument. This board is full of illiterate half-blood princes.

Of course our administration should rig the academics. Hopefully they are. For PR reasons and to maintain #casualfan illusions, we still need to have a Coach APR bonus.

But if we're paying the money, we might as well have the bonus do something. And the hair-brained idea of a bonus for just staying eligible still does nothing. We can at least have the coach try for a safety net if we accidentally grade stuff.

Sorry, I slipped in a few Chief memes.

Reaction Score
The only problem is it fuels the narrative that the APR is a legitimate measure and that we're apologetic for having run afoul of it. Why do we give people like Emmert credence? Giving KO his first contract because of first-semester grades in 2012 was the same way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only problem is it fuels the narrative that the APR is a legitimate measure and that we're apologetic for having run afoul of it. Why do we give people like Emmert credence? Giving KO his first contract because of first-semester grades in 2012 was the same way.

That’s another obvious point.

We spent years pointing out it’s a sham and then kowtowed to it multiple times.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Not really. You need a 4 year average score of 930 to stay eligible. If each player can earn 4 points and you have 13 scholarship players it only takes losing 4 points to knock your score down to 923. Two kids transferring while in bad academic standing kills the score

What would the punishment be? You can't go to class anymore? If they needed to expel a player they could petition the NCAA for an adjustment.

Kentucky regularly gets scores of 1000 and they don't have a bunch of book worms. It's a score that is easily gamed, and there isn't any reason not to game it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is Chief seriously still arguing that the Mike Noyes scholarship, awarded in August/September, could have instead been given to someone who could’ve contributed on the court meaningfully that year?

Why do any of you continue to give him the time of day?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not really. You need a 4 year average score of 930 to stay eligible. If each player can earn 4 points and you have 13 scholarship players it only takes losing 4 points to knock your score down to 923. Two kids transferring while in bad academic standing kills the score

What would the punishment be? You can't go to class anymore? If they needed to expel a player they could petition the NCAA for an adjustment.

Kentucky regularly gets scores of 1000 and they don't have a bunch of book worms. It's a score that is easily gamed, and there isn't any reason not to game it.

I fully support gaming it.

That’s the point, UConn doesn’t. Kentucky games it because they don’t treat the kids as students.

If UConn is going to apply the academic standards of Kentucky or UNC it means nothing to offer the incentive.

They haven’t. So it shouldn’t be a goal.

They need to win, win fast and win pretty big. There shouldn’t be a competing priority around some dopey metric that measures nothing.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Is Chief seriously still arguing that the Mike Noyes scholarship, awarded in August/September, could have instead been given to someone who could’ve contributed on the court meaningfully that year?

Why do any of you continue to give him the time of day?

This is a message board and people clearly like playing characters. This is the only reason I've been able to come up with considering the Drummond story...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
13 guys in a basketball program doesn't define a university of tens of thousands of students.

Game the metric, get the appropriate scores, and move on.

I don't think Hurley is ultimately going to be too beholden by this, but by the same time it's just another tone-deaf stipulation set forth by the admin.

Reaction Score
Just about every school has figured out how to keep their major sports programs out of trouble on this metric. They are rewarding him for perfect scores, because it will keep the team eligible. There's nothing wrong with that. It is a joke, they know it is a joke, and they are going to reward him for continuing to make a joke out of it. As long as we stay eligible, I'm all in.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I fully support gaming it.

That’s the point, UConn doesn’t. Kentucky games it because they don’t treat the kids as students.

If UConn is going to apply the academic standards of Kentucky or UNC it means nothing to offer the incentive.

They haven’t. So it shouldn’t be a goal.

They need to win, win fast and win pretty big. There shouldn’t be a competing priority around some dopey metric that measures nothing.

UConn started gaming the system after we got banned from the NCAA tourney. Most of the players are expected to attend summer school classes before their freshmen year. 2 years ago when they went to NYC I remember reading that the academic adviser took them to some historic sites for a day and they all got a credit.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of hand-wringing in this thread over a contract provision that is (1) common, if not universal among major universities, (2) done almost entirely for PR purposes, and (3) worth pennies in comparison to the total value of the contract . . .

C

Chief00

This is a message board and people clearly like playing characters. This is the only reason I've been able to come up with considering the Drummond story...
The Drummond story was absolutely true. Why would I make it up - like no one would notice he wasn’t at Gampel. His plans changed and it took awhile before it got fully communicated to everyone - yes including the b!t(he’s. Not rocket science but so hard for some minds to comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The Drummond story was absolutely true. Why would I make it up - like no one would notice he wasn’t at Gampel. His plans changed and it took awhile before it got fully communicated to everyone - yes including the b!t(he’s. Not rocket science but so hard for some minds to comprehend.

No it wasn’t. But it doesn’t matter I’m not arguing with you. We don’t know each other it doesn’t matter. Just know that story isn’t true.

C

Chief00

No it wasn’t. But it doesn’t matter I’m not arguing with you. We don’t know each other it doesn’t matter. Just know that story isn’t true.

It is true - that was the plan. Ask Facey if you don’t believe me.

Why did I know Dre was coming to UConn in Sept 2011 when no one else did?

Reaction Score
Let's go back to a time before we cared about APR and lost scholarships and eventually got banned from the NCAA tourney. That was great

Did win a championship the following year.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom