contract Incentive for 1,000 APR | The Boneyard

contract Incentive for 1,000 APR

C

Chief00

Why do we have an incentive in the contract for a 1,000 APR? Is that something we should aspire to? I think not - just keep the players eligible, graduate the ones not lucky enough to go pro and avoid probation.

This clause sends the wrong message, in my opinion, about what our focus should be. WINNING!

Hurley Contract Includes Up To $1 Million In Bonuses For Athletic, Academic Success Hurley Contract Includes Up To $1 Million In Bonuses For Athletic, Academic Success

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think it’s a smart clause....based on our history, the APR issue is/was certainly being used against us. This could help in some living rooms, especially with mom(s).

C

Chief00

What if we win both on the court and in the classroom? Do they cancel each other out and we actually lose?

Too many goals not laser focus. Don’t get Chief wrong - I like guys generally attending class and doing half way decent in the classroom. But, there’s only so many hours in the day - would I prefer someone shooting 3’s in Werth at midnight or in the library?
If we have 1,000 APR, translated we failed at basketball - not enough of talented guys being develop and leaving school early!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Please stop telling me these people understand sports or business.

Did leadership write kickers in for themselves this time. Does the buyout change if they leave?

Ethically challenged at the very least.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

There’s no way getting around it, if we are successful we will have guys leave early for the NBA and the necessary Hail Mary with blind folds admissions - these do not happen when you try to incent your coaches to hit the 1,000 APR perfection.

I can give you a real life example and that’s KO giving the final scholarship to a 4.0 senior / former walk-on - who was virtually a lock to graduate. The media and Casual Fans applauded but they weren’t so happy when we had injuries and no talent off the bench once the season started.

Last edited by a moderator:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
There’s no way getting around it, if we are successful we will have guys leave early for the NBA and the necessary Hail Mary with blind folds admissions - these do not happen when you try to incent your coaches fit 1,000 APR.
I can give you a real life example and that’s KO giving the final scholarship to a 4.0 senior / former walk-on - who was virtually a lock to graduate. The media and Casual Fans applauded but they weren’t so happy when we had injuries and no talent off the bench once the season started.
Oh please, he didn't give a walkon a scholarship because he wanted to achieve a perfect rating. He gave a walkon a scholarship because he couldn't recruit 13 guys and it was the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
Emeka Okafor, Imo, is the ultimate husky and role model for all future huskies. Excelled on the court and in the classroom. Why can't students aspire to succeed as he did?

C

Chief00

Oh please, he didn't give a walkon a scholarship because he wanted to achieve a perfect rating. He gave a walkon a scholarship because he couldn't recruit 13 guys and it was the right thing to do.
True, he received applauds for doing “the right thing”. I think if you looked in KO’s contract he also had APR and academic incentives - personally like all of us - a coach knows how his bonus program works and tries to achieve it.
So UConn had fallen so much they couldn’t find a guy to give that 13th ship to? How sad , if true. We use to turn guys away when Jim was coaching.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed, who cares if they can read and write as long as they win NC's!!

Biiiiiiiiiig gap between 1000apr and not reading and writing, but point taken.

C

Chief00

Emeka Okafor, Imo, is the ultimate husky and role model for all future huskies. Excelled on the court and in the classroom. Why can't students aspire to succeed as he did?

He also exceeded in the Weight Room and was a model there for Ben and Hilton amongst others.

Quite frankly, Emeka was brought up in a family that really focused on education and respected the the value of it. He was also very bright and enjoyed learning.

Having said the above from time to time I would criticize Emeka in a kidding way how about practicing foul shots more and spending less time in the library. I believe most people invest time in things they get favorable response feedback on - in short things that they do well in. Rather, than a weakness they must struggle to make even incremental progress in.

pj

Reaction Score
Too many goals not laser focus. Don’t get Chief wrong - I like guys generally attending class and doing half way decent in the classroom. But, there’s only so many hours in the day - would I prefer someone shooting 3’s in Werth at midnight or in the library?
If we have 1,000 APR, translated we failed at basketball - not enough of talented guys being develop and leaving school early!!

Chief, how do Kentucky, UNC, and Duke maintain 1,000 APRs with talented guys who leave school early? They have them take nothing classes in the summer, fall, and intersession, get A's for showing up, and then they can fail every class in the spring and still have a perfect APR.

So the incentive here is not for Hurley to value academics, but to become as skillful as the competition at evading academics.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a smart clause....based on our history, the APR issue is/was certainly being used against us. This could help in some living rooms, especially with mom(s).

Totally agree.

Reaction Score
People who refer to themselves in the third person cannot be trusted. Chief is fools gold

Reaction Score
Chief, relax. The bonus is small potatoes compared to the base comp. He better do what it takes to be successful and earn that base or he’ll be out like KO too.
This was probably the best strategic hire we could make right now. Connects us to the New Jersey area much, much better.

Personally, I like our chances with this hire. At least to get back to winning games we should during the regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom