Contentment with the new big East as a permanent home | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Contentment with the new big East as a permanent home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one truism (outside of UConn being screwed) is conference realignment is never over. Too many people look at the current conferences and think they will stay that way forever. Guess what, they won't. For now, the Big East and independent for football is the best available situation for UConn. Can you imagine remaining in the AAC with Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston leaving?

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
1632841052102.png

Reaction Score
You left the FB board to post this bit of lame-ass nonsense? Why bother?
Where is the data -- at least so far -- to counteract my statement? Don't have any? Don't call it lame ass or nonsense.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Where is the data -- at least so far -- to counteract my statement? Don't have any? Don't call it lame ass or nonsense.
Ironic post/handle if you really would rather be in the AAC

Reaction Score
I was under the impression we had to win our own games in the tournament and not rely on our conference mates to do that for us. You learn something new on the Boneyard everyday!
People on this site championed getting into the New Big East as the way to return UConn to go far in the NCAA tourney. They blamed the AAC affiliation for the drop in post season play by UConn.

Reaction Score
That question is never answered by the FB only cranks.
Finally see a post that put the light on for me. This is what I've been missing.

I see the football "cranks" guys as "UConn needs to be good at football as a flag ship state school and to keep basketball relevant". True or not that's what I hear.

Basketball "only cranks" say who needs football its a drain, lets drop down a level in football.

The cranks who are the "only" cranks are the basketball cranks, the football cranks want both.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see the football "cranks" guys as "UConn needs to be good at football as a flag ship state school and to keep basketball relevant". True or not that's what I hear.
Why do you say "True or not"? It's not true. FB almost killed BB, it's BB keeping FB "relevant".
When you "both sides" an issue like this, you just give cover to the bad guys.

Reaction Score
People on this site championed getting into the New Big East as the way to return UConn to go far in the NCAA tourney. They blamed the AAC affiliation for the drop in post season play by UConn.
Hey man, we've been back one year. Even in the short amount of time since the announcement to return to the big east our recruiting has kicked into another gear and our program is on an upward trajectory.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course the flagships in the NEWBIE are UConn and nobody. Cincinatti Is a major national university with respected medical and doctoral programs and a world renowned hospital associated with it. Tulane is nationally respected. I could go on. Of course The NOOB has Seton Hall, which is known for being in New Jersey and Providence which is, well, in Providence. Outside of Georgetown the NOOB IS an a bunch of interchangeable commuter schools. Except Villanova, which is little BC.

You are a moron.

I admire your persistence in trying to prove it.

Reaction Score
As an alumni I care less about the $$$ the athletic department brings in and more about how much the brand of the school grows. UConn winning basketball games at MSG every March against the likes of Villanova and Georgetown directly helps me. Big 10/ACC alumni understand and respect what the Big East is, no one gives a flying f about Cincinatti, Memphis or UCF.

Honestly, this conversation begins and ends with a sober understanding of what our reality would have been had we not left the AAC last year. We would not be in consideration for the Big 12 because of geographical reasons and the fact that our football program is in shambles. Instead we would be in a worse version of the AAC as they backfill with more ECU/Tulsa calibre schools.

Reaction Score
Yes, we can move to another conference and become Syracuse , BC , & Pitt. Pretty much also rans.
Someone on the Boneyard once said that after
going to the Syracuse board you would think that the ACC was cutting each one of them a check. Word.

Reaction Score
Go away and take moronscooter with you.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Is the NBE better than the AAC? For basketball and soccer yes
Other sports - no
Being this is a basketball board, it is natural for folks to be satisfied with the current NBE and selfishly I also like the affiliation for both sports.
It has certainly hurt football and baseball/softball
If any P5 calls - UConn would be crazy not to jump - the $ is too much to ignore

Reaction Score
Big 10/ACC alumni understand and respect what the Big East is, no one gives a flying f about Cincinatti, Memphis or UCF.

How does this work?
Cincinnati and UCF are now part of their P5 club.
The Jesuit East is never getting membership. Not in a million years.

Reaction Score
How does this work?
This is the Basketball Board, so why don't you take your Football leaning, whiny backside back to the rest of the I hate BB brethren.

Reaction Score
We would not be in consideration for the Big 12 because of geographical reasons and the fact that our football program is in shambles.

It's the AD's job to fix the football program and sell it as a worthy addition to the Cincinnati-WVU portion of the Big 12.
The rewards of P5 membership FAR outweigh the benefits of being the closest mouth-breather on the outside of the glass wall.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Of course the flagships in the NEWBIE are UConn and nobody. Cincinatti Is a major national university with respected medical and doctoral programs and a world renowned hospital associated with it. Tulane is nationally respected. I could go on. Of course The NOOB has Seton Hall, which is known for being in New Jersey and Providence which is, well, in Providence. Outside of Georgetown the NOOB IS an a bunch of interchangeable commuter schools. Except Villanova, which is little BC.
why are you here?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
How does this work?
The Big 12 ceases to be a power conference in football the day OU and TX leave. Not a single school in that conference has an all-time football winning percentage in the top 25 nationally. They have no blue bloods, only two state flagships (small states) and BYU. In basketball, it will be a major league, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom