Contentment with the new big East as a permanent home | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Contentment with the new big East as a permanent home

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's the AD's job to fix the football program and sell it as a worthy addition to the Cincinnati-WVU portion of the Big 12.
The rewards of P5 membership FAR outweigh the benefits of being the closest mouth-breather on the outside of the glass wall.
Again, post TX and OU, it is not a power conference.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with staying as long as it lasts. conference realignment stuff is exhausting. I prefer not to think about it.

Reaction Score
What do people want UConn to do? The P5 made it very clear multiple times they didn’t want them. It is what it is. For the time being this is the spot. If there’s an opportunity to move they will try again.

Side note. Do the people who complain that football is not good donate and go to games? Maybe if they showed the same support people do for basketball things would get better.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 ceases to be a power conference in football the day OU and TX leave. Not a single school in that conference has an all-time football winning percentage in the top 25 nationally. They have no blue bloods, only two state flagships (small states) and BYU. In basketball, it will be a major league, however.

The Big 12 is at worst the 3rd best football league and ranks as the #1 basketball conference.
There is no process to take away their autonomy designation. It's foolishness to think they'll lose status with those metrics.

As for the NBE, that option could have been initiated at any time. That league was never saying no to bringing in UConn, considering that all of their members are so much weaker than UConn. They don't get much money and UConn helps them more than the NBE helps UConn.
UConn could've easily waited to see what the AAC looks like coming out of realignment, to THEN decide if it was time to give up on P5 status, aka autonomy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is the Basketball Board, so why don't you take your Football leaning, whiny backside back to the rest of the I hate BB brethren.
Do you ever talk about anything constructive or just linger around and take potshots at everyone who thinks differently than you - looking for laughs and likes?
Babetwit88, Moronscooter, Chief00 digger - you have way too much time on your hands

Reaction Score
He was looking for his buddy Bapetw

Of course the flagships in the NEWBIE are UConn and nobody. Cincinatti Is a major national university with respected medical and doctoral programs and a world renowned hospital associated with it. Tulane is nationally respected. I could go on. Of course The NOOB has Seton Hall, which is known for being in New Jersey and Providence which is, well, in Providence. Outside of Georgetown the NOOB IS an a bunch of interchangeable commuter schools. Except Villanova, which is little BC.
You lost me at "Of course". Good God man.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I am getting tired of this nonsense because sports are just a crutch for pride (not directed at you). But Big 12 football after OU and TX leave can easily challenge the ACC and Pac-12.
On the field, yes. But the MW challenged the BEast and ACC during the BCS days and they were not considered a power conference.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is at worst the 3rd best football league and ranks as the #1 basketball conference.
There is no process to take away their autonomy designation. It's foolishness to think they'll lose status with those metrics.

As for the NBE, that option could have been initiated at any time. That league was never saying no to bringing in UConn, considering that all of their members are so much weaker than UConn. They don't get much money and UConn helps them more than the NBE helps UConn.
UConn could've easily waited to see what the AAC looks like coming out of realignment, to THEN decide if it was time to give up on P5 status, aka autonomy.
They will not be the #1 basketball conference post OU and TX. I think people criminally underrated both of them in basketball. They will probably be fighting with the Big East and SEC for the #3 spot behind the ACC and Big 10.

Autonomy doesn’t mean much. The WAC and C-USA were equity conferences but not power conferences. The media and brand power are what determine a power conference in football.

Reaction Score
On the field, yes. But the MW challenged the BEast and ACC during the BCS days and they were not considered a power conference.

The MWC never had the resources of the Big 12. Have you been inside their stadiums? The MWC never had BCS status and the dollars to build a Taj Majal athletic villages at all their schools like the Big 12 schools have.

Not to mention all of the schools they are bringing in have credible metrics for entry. Cinci is knocking on the playoff door. BYU is looking stout. Houston and UCF have NY6 titles.

I think the main concept is timing.

The NBE retreat position was ALWAYS going to be there. UConn is no further ahead by not waiting to see what the P5 conferences do. Entering into such a ridiculous exit fee was absurd for a league that pays 4 million. It will take 10 years of conference revenue to pay an exit fee. Nothing made sense.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The MWC never had the resources of the Big 12. Have you been inside their stadiums? The MWC never had BCS status and the dollars to build a Taj Majal athletic villages at all their schools like the Big 12 schools have.

Not to mention all of the schools they are bringing in have credible metrics for entry. Cinci is knocking on the playoff door. BYU is looking stout. Houston and UCF have NY6 titles.

The NBE retreat position was ALWAYS going to be there. UConn is no further ahead by not waiting to see what the P5 conferences do. Entering into such a ridiculous exit fee was absurd for a league that pays 4 million. It will take 10 years of conference revenue to pay an exit fee. Nothing made sense.
The point is that the MW competed on the field but were not considered a power conference.

Reaction Score
They will not be the #1 basketball conference post OU and TX. I think people criminally underrated both of them in basketball. They will probably be fighting with the Big East and SEC for the #3 spot behind the ACC and Big 10.

Autonomy doesn’t mean much. The WAC and C-USA were equity conferences but not power conferences. The media and brand power are what determine a power conference in football.

The metrics look very good for the Big 12 going forward. They will be at the top.

[twitter]

Reaction Score

Have you been inside their stadiums? They don't have a single stadium inside the top 35 largest college football stadiums and their average stadium size is probably 35,000 less than the power conferences.

Reaction Score
The MWC never had the resources of the Big 12.
Here is where you argument really falls apart. The Big 12 payout with Oklahoma and Texas was $34.5 million apiece. Estimates are that the renegotiation will cut that by half to two thirds. If that is the case they are basically operating with the AAC contract. None of the remaining schools will be able to keep up with the true Power 4. They will hemorrhage money like all the AAC teams and die a slow death. The only question I have for you is what team do you actually root for? I’m truly curious.

Reaction Score
Have you been inside their stadiums? They don't have a single stadium inside the top 35 largest college football stadiums and their average stadium size is probably 35,000 less than the power conferences.

Yes, I have. Baylor just built a state of the art stadium on the Brazos River. You can bet that Scott Drew is going to build fresh off the heels of his Natty as well. TCU just built a new addition to their stadium. Both of these stadiums are more intimate but every bit as nice as other stadiums out there (some of which with more seats - an arbitrary metric).

Reaction Score
Funny how they actually committed to football and are going to be in a basketball conference we can only dream about. Of course MSG. The NOOB has fewer top 25 preseason teams than THE AAC in the 24-7 preseason rankings, and don’t even compare it with the B12. Villanova is to the NOOB what Gonzaga is to the west coast conference. The NOOB is a nice regional league with a single great team. If it is our long term home it means UConn has essentially given up being a major athletic power and is content being a regional program, essentially UMass. That, fellas and gals is reality.

Yeah ... there's Creighton. Marquette Depaul.

But in essence, this is a NORTHEAST - Madison Square Garden - centric conference. Playing in Tulane or Tulsa or Houston ... never enthused our fanbase. Football too. WE ARE ... better playing Temple or Rutgers or Buffalo or UMass or BC ... than any of the Texas-OK-LA-TN bunch; in football, you want to get a roadtrip and run into your rivals in the bars/office. Basketball: sharing W-Sat in NYC with other fans is everything to me.

Reaction Score
Here is where you argument really falls apart. The Big 12 payout with Oklahoma and Texas was $34.5 million apiece. Estimates are that the renegotiation will cut that by half to two thirds. If that is the case they are basically operating with the AAC contract. None of the remaining schools will be able to keep up with the true Power 4. They will hemorrhage money like all the AAC teams and die a slow death. The only question I have for you is what team do you actually root for? I’m truly curious.

None of this is true. It's more likely the Big 12 extends their current deal by 5 years.

Reaction Score
Yes, I have. Baylor just built a state of the art stadium on the Brazos River. You can bet that Scott Drew is going to build fresh off the heels of his Natty as well. TCU just built a new addition to their stadium. Both of these stadiums are more intimate but every bit as nice as other stadiums out there (some of which with more seats - an arbitrary metric).
This is getting weird, are you a Branch Davidian?

Reaction Score
At the risk of feeding the troll, your Big East-WCC analogy is utterly inept. It starts off pretty good, because Gonzaga and 'Nova are pretty comparable. It falls off sharply after that. UConn is historically comparable or superior to those two, and they will hopefully be back to that level soon. Every other team in the Big East is somewhere between comparable and far superior to St. Mary's. After that, the rest of the WCC consists of once-every-10-years tournament teams or worse, while the rest of the Big East consists of teams that are tourney hopefuls almost every year. Except poor DePaul...

I always think the MAAC is what the WCC is.

Honestly, if you have been to games at Loyola Marymount or Pepperdine, you would think that is a lower level than Rider,Quinnipiac or Marist. Siena has it all over every WCC school except Gonzaga and the near departed BYU. Don't let freescooter get on a roll

Which points out this ... Gonzaga is a HUGE misfit.

Reaction Score
People on this site championed getting into the New Big East as the way to return UConn to go far in the NCAA tourney. They blamed the AAC affiliation for the drop in post season play by UConn.
Have you noticed the improvement in recruiting and comments made by potential recruits since we joined the NBE? The boost in recruiting should translate to major post-season results if DH knows how to coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom